Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

POLL - With no additions are we good enough to avoid a relegation fight ?

Are we good enough with no additions to avoid a relegation fight ?

• Yes

Votes: 199 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 215 51.9%

• Total voters

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
40 points
Over 50 would be 7th
Avoid a relegation fight that means top half would be minimum of 50pts

Sorry I’m trying to be optimistic and realistic our fixtures are hard enough without decent squad to endure the season.

We are going to be in the dog fight unfortunately

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a caveat, there is probably around half the division in a relegation fight as soon as they kick off in a couple of weeks time
There will be teams that could implode .Like Leicester last year. But many have the raw materials to avoid a fight If things don’t implode , again like Leicester last year .
For me we are talking about if our squad good is enough to avoid the bottom six fight out.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The starting XI I posted on the other thread isn't half bad, and I believe is certainly stronger than that of Luton, Sheffield United, Bournemouth etc. Even the bench isn't terrible - though I don't think there are any game changers as such.

The problem is (and I am sure Lop is also cognizant) is the side that starts a season very rarely ends it. You might get a small cluster of players who are fortunate enough to cover virtually all 38 league games, but the large majority inevitably suffer injuries, suspensions and loss of form. There are a few players in the squad I would call injury prone or streaky. Without new players to challenge the established line-up, a team is at risk of going stale and losing a competitive edge, which has been Lopetegui's mantra in the press. I can see us chucking both cups if we get no new players.

Last edited:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted no. We badly need a goal scorer. I’ve got to the stage where I’d be happy if Adams does come in. We also need cover at the back and midfield.

Kennedy

Reaction score
I've put no because a few injuries could cripple us. I would caveat it by saying that I don't think we would actually go down but we could easily be in the mix.

That's based on JL being here.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No , not a chance.

Same issues as the last couple of years (no goalscorers) and less depth in the squad , first 11 is OK but any injuries will put us in a world of trouble.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without additions to the current bunch, I think we'll be lucky to avoid a relegation battle. With further likely departures (Podence....) and injuries, suspensions etc... to our small, limited squad, I'd say we're certs to be in the bottom 5/6.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In theory yes if players play to their potential and don’t get injured, whether they actually will be good enough week in week out over the full course of a season is another matter nothing is guaranteed

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading through this small but I'd say pretty well informed and representative sample of Wolves fans the message is almost unanimous - touch and go with current squad as injuries/suspensions could do for us. The Club will know this is the situation and that without reinforcements a relegation fight is a distinct possibility. If no new players come in then the financial position must be much worse than we are being told and Fosun are putting the Club's Premiership status in jeopardy.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely YES.Not every team has first class backups,so their fans will be saying the same.Avoid injuries.Glad I’ve got some faith.Mind ya being a Northeren soul fan helps.
KEEP THE FAITH.is the motto.

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
we'll be fine with the current squad there are worse teams in the league like luton Sheff utd Everton burnley and there are also other clubs struggling with ffp like Sheff utd and Everton so we're not in the best position as a club but there are definitely worse teams

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading through this small but I'd say pretty well informed and representative sample of Wolves fans the message is almost unanimous - touch and go with current squad as injuries/suspensions could do for us. The Club will know this is the situation and that without reinforcements a relegation fight is a distinct possibility. If no new players come in then the financial position must be much worse than we are being told and Fosun are putting the Club's Premiership status in jeopardy.
I think if Podence goes we may get a few coming in no more with current budget. And take the risk that that will be good enough If come Jan we are looking in trouble then I would imagine Fosun will be more likely to put in some investment for a player or 2 as that would be cheaper than the cost of relegation, but they won’t do that till Jan and only if looking really necessary

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, I think our first team is very good and there is so much latent potential in our squad. The likes of Fabio, Cunha, Nunes, Neto, Gomes and Ait-Nouri have got so much room for improvement in them, it's actually very exciting.

If we stay injury free, play with three recognised attackers every game including a number 9, play our best players from the start of games and allow pairings to develop across the pitch, I think we will be fine.

Having said that, a new CB (Elvedi) and a new AMC (Scott) would be a welcome shot in the arm for a club that is clearly struggling off the pitch. Making those two signings would also provide some more hope for the fans too who deserve something to be excited about.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but it will be close.

We could actually sell 3 or 4 more and still finish above Luton and Sheff Utd

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Avoid relegation or avoid a fight? I think we'll avoid relegation but without reinforcements we could get dragged into the fight.

Exactly where I am.

Think the current squad is good enough to finish somewhere around 15th. But like a lot of the other sides, injuries to key players could easily see us go down.

I don’t see anything but a relegation battle without reinforcements.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply no …. With additions yes

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Avoid relegation or avoid a fight? I think we'll avoid relegation but without reinforcements we could get dragged into the fight.
The other issue is that the squad is still being depleted.

While I totally understand and agree with those people who said the squad needed trimming, if we lose Podence, RAN and Silva without any replacements coming in then it will be a very long season

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Simply answer is No, we will be in the relegation fight as it stands.

But I do believe they will buy Elvedi, I am not so sure they will spend £25m on Scott and I am not convinced they will buy another striker if Silva stays.

Either Sasa, Silva, or Cunha have got to hit the ground and start scoring. They will need to replace the 11 goals from Neves and Podence for a start.

I am really not convinced, I think its going to be a long hard season.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think if Podence goes we may get a few coming in no more with current budget. And take the risk that that will be good enough If come Jan we are looking in trouble then I would imagine Fosun will be more likely to put in some investment for a player or 2 as that would be cheaper than the cost of relegation, but they won’t do that till Jan and only if looking really necessary
I was thinking about January too. For those who know these things will Fosun be able under the rules to splash out in the New Year, like last time, if we are down the bottom?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I think our first team is very good and there is so much latent potential in our squad. The likes of Fabio, Cunha, Nunes, Neto, Gomes and Ait-Nouri have got so much room for improvement in them, it's actually very exciting.

If we stay injury free, play with three recognised attackers every game including a number 9, play our best players from the start of games and allow pairings to develop across the pitch, I think we will be fine.

Having said that, a new CB (Elvedi) and a new AMC (Scott) would be a welcome shot in the arm for a club that is clearly struggling off the pitch. Making those two signings would also provide some more hope for the fans too who deserve something to be excited about.
We're kind of going round in circles here, but if we don't have the funds so we stay on the right side of the rules, these players are surely a pipe-dream now? If we could get them surely we would have done so? As I understand it we're struggling to fund Cresswell at £3 mil?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly where I am.

Think the current squad is good enough to finish somewhere around 15th. But like a lot of the other sides, injuries to key players could easily see us go down.

I don’t see anything but a relegation battle without reinforcements.
Well **** me, if Tring thinks this, and for me he is the most balanced and positive poster on here, we really are potentially in some bother.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was thinking about January too. For those who know these things will Fosun be able under the rules to splash out in the New Year, like last time, if we are down the bottom?
way I see it…….Fosun and Wolves must have had a real relegation scare. That must have made them do some serious navel gazing . Can’t see them running that risk again.
Therefore, it won’t surprise me if they spend big before the window closes.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I am dreading this season .It shows our lack of ambition and how far our stock has fallen if all we can aim for is to avoid a Relegation fight .Maybe we will but who knows without any signings ?

Reaction score
Squad is still lacking in certain areas and currently we would struggle to cope with injuries / suspensions to key players, hopefully there will be three worse teams than us but we're certainly not to good to go down. Finger crossed we can bring in players to cover the shortcomings and hopefully the manager can gel us into a more coherent unit and start getting the best out of players like Nunes and Cunha.

Back
Top Bottom