Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll: GON by October? A temperature test. In, out, or on the fence?

In, out, or on the fence?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol. I was amazed to see 100% out, then saw I was the first response.
I’m usually behind the curve on the ‘get them gone’ train, and was willing to see how he panned out…a couple of weeks ago.
We’ve seen performances get progressively worse the longer he’s had with the team, and even the high point of bossing Yanited has been shown to be a far easier feat for other teams than one would imagine.
Promising first halves (apart from today) are also irrelevant, if they’re achieved by such a completely unsustainable press and work rate that the 2nd half becomes an easy exercise in bypassing tired players for the opposition.
Today showed us just how bad we can be when don’t outwork the opponents by such a ridiculous margin.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can understand him being given until Villa although quite frankly we've barely seen anything to warrant the benefit of the doubt. First half against Liverpool and a cup game against a lower league team I guess.

I think he has to go now and we're just wasting our time but I completely understand those giving him 2 more games considering timescales and our tricky start.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pointless question … we can’t afford any better. We got him cos he’s cheap.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Pointless question … we can’t afford any better. We got him cos he’s cheap.
If we think he's taking us down, we can't afford not to sack him though. We have money as we didn't spend most of the Nunes cash. The only question is whether anyone good enough would want to come?

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Scary thought ... if we lose at home to Man City as expected next then O'Neil has to win 7 and draw 1 of the next 8 home games to match Lopetegui's home record last season Mind you would be amazed if O'Neil is still in charge for the home game against Man Utd at the end of Jan.

Played Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Villa at home under Lop, so I don't want to hear the "he's got tough home fixtures" argument.

Of the 3 defeats at home under Lop. Man Utd, arguably the better team until a scolded Rashford came off bench to score a superb solo goal. Man City. Fair enough. Writing on the wall as soon as we conceded early and Collins decided to karate kick Greasy. Bournemouth. Even Nasa are still trying to work out how we lost that one.

Today's Gary O'Neil masterclass. Brings on Traore for striker. Same move as against Palace. Difference today is he got away with it because Luton didn't have the quality up front Palace do.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I was a supporter of him, but I'm just not sure anymore. There does seem a bit of Dean Saunders about him. Still, I blame the people at the top of the club more than him.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I asked last week, if we binned him and his staff off now, would we have enough money to pay off the 3 year(!) contracts that he and his staff have got, hire a new set of staff, and then have enough for a spending spree in January?

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wanted to give him time but quite frankly we don’t have time do we? Hobbs should be in the dock as much as GON in my opinion.

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
No chance they’ll sack him this soon (although they should) can’t see him been here by December 1st though

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I simply can't find any anger in me towards GON.
It was destined to be a car crash from the minute he was appointed, but that's on the hierarchy at the club, not GON!
I'm sorry to say it, but nothings gonna change at the club whilst Fosun are at the reigns!
Anybody who still thinks we have no relegation worries needs to get with the programme, real quick, otherwise there's likely to be one hell of a shock coming on the horizon!

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
I’m sure Gary is a great bloke and wears his heart on his sleeve, but the wrong fit for this team.

JL on the other hand saw the writing on the wall and was quick to get out, and who can blame him?

Every manager gets the bullet eventually at some point, at least Gary’s severance package will be worth far more than we could possibly dream of!

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I simply can't find any anger in me towards GON.
It was destined to be a car crash from the minute he was appointed, but that's on the hierarchy at the club, not GON!
I'm sorry to say it, but nothings gonna change at the club whilst Fosun are at the reigns!
Anybody who still thinks we have no relegation worries needs to get with the programme, real quick, otherwise there's likely to be one hell of a shock coming on the horizon!
... incidentally, I've abstained from voting, as although I think GON should never have been installed as manager/coach, he's not currently the biggest problem at the club.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we think he's taking us down, we can't afford not to sack him though. We have money as we didn't spend most of the Nunes cash. The only question is whether anyone good enough would want to come?
If we are not prepared to pay for a top coach then we ain’t gonna get one.

Jeff Shi is thick and not able to learn.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Voted gone solely because I think it will happen and never wanted him in the first place.

Somewhat on the fence given the performances against Man Utd and Liverpool but I'm not the one forking out £50 a go to watch this. Be interesting to know if there's a difference in thought between the masses on here, and those that went today.

Still think we'll stay up by virtue of Luton + 2 others but that's no reason to drag this out.

He's like a poundshop Eddie Howe and without the results to go with.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He won’t be gone, he has a 3 year contract and might be OK as a championship manager.

Will Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Out but need to have a list of replacements ready now so we aren’t waiting weeks for a new manager.

If Villa and Brighton can do it so can Wolves

Jeru360

Reaction score
While he should probably go, who would be his replacement? Who is going to take the job right now?
The whole Lopetegui debacle has spoiled the job for anyone who might be interested.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
The problem is fosun. what decent manager would want to work for Fosun.
Can’t see Fosun paying another manager off, they are to tight !!
Too tight to watch millions get wiped off the value of their asset? They have been inept but their decision making is driven by money.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm not a fan but it's just not fair to compare what he's achieving with the team at his disposal with the one the previous manager had. Lop had much better players to pick.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think people need to be wary of using Lopetegui as a barometer for our attractiveness.

Just because an ex-Real Madrid manager who wanted a 7million pound a year contract didn't want to continue with our current financial situation doesn't mean that your only alternative is Gary O'Neil or Michael Beale or asking Mendes to bring over Walter Zenga.

The Premier League is a massive attraction to coaches around the world.

The question is whether Wolves hierarchy will paint themselves into a corner once again with either wanting a UK cheapo or else it's the big name or bust. You need the flexibility to find the candidates from within those polar extremes, but I'm not confident that Shi and Hobbs have the brainpower to pull it off.

They will almost inevitably wait under O'Neill has driven the ship into the iceberg and then just call up Rob Edwards (by then with Luton on track to break Derby's record).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have only themselves to blame for this situation. They managed to lure JL in with what seems to be a load of unfulfilled promises and I still think if they knew he was going weeks before the season started they could have done better than GON. A short-term appt or a temporary appt would have been a way to go to give them some breathing space imo. The start of this season is going to mirror last and when you look at Octobers fixtures - City, Villa and Toon at home and ironically B'mouth away you do think it's possible we could still be on 4 points in 5 weeks time. And, of course, we know we'll lose at Ipswich on Tuesday putting more pressure on GON.
I urge posters to watch the B'mouth fan's video on the GON tactics thread. Everything he says about GON's 37 games at B'mouth are repeating themselves here, except of course he did manage some wins down there!

Back
Top Bottom