Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Players surrounding the ref

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting worse every game and the intimidation of the officials is abhorrent. The FA has to clamp down on it now.
What...and upset the millionaire children who are their bread and butter? Unlikely, as with any of these simple common sense initiatives that are somehow just too difficult for football authorities to implement.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of it last night was about trying to get players booked based on previous bookings.

Loads of waffle on the commentary last night about this referee setting himself up to have to book players by giving away soft yellows earlier in the game.

A lot of it was for cynical pulls in midfield once possession is turned over and the opponents are counter-attacking. I hate that. It's one negative that Pep has brought into the Premier League.

It won't stop if you let players get away with it. How many times did Arsenal get away with it at Molineux, yet as soon as one of our players did it they were booked!!

Book them all. Any cynical, deliberate foul should always be at least a booking, as it's blatant cheating!

HenrySpencer

Reaction score
Was thinking that as well yesterday watching Arsenal - Newcastle. You don't have to be an expert lip reader to see what kind of language they use towards the referees, it's disgraceful.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
Most of it last night was about trying to get players booked based on previous bookings.

Loads of waffle on the commentary last night about this referee setting himself up to have to book players by giving away soft yellows earlier in the game.

A lot of it was for cynical pulls in midfield once possession is turned over and the opponents are counter-attacking. I hate that. It's one negative that Pep has brought into the Premier League.

It won't stop if you let players get away with it. How many times did Arsenal get away with it at Molineux, yet as soon as one of our players did it they were booked!!

Book them all. Any cynical, deliberate foul should always be at least a booking, as it's blatant cheating!
They (Arsenal) did it last night against Newcastle in the last minute claiming for a penalty, don't help when you got their manager Arteta also joining in running the whole length of the pitching jumping around like a school girl with a tantrum, quite embarrassing but I see Arsenal as one of the worst for this and is also promoted by their so called 'professional' manager.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on

And any complaining second yellow.

Typical that the only ever player to get two yellows for this sort of stupid **** was raul.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They (Arsenal) did it last night against Newcastle in the last minute claiming for a penalty, don't help when you got their manager Arteta also joining in running the whole length of the pitching jumping around like a school girl with a tantrum, quite embarrassing but I see Arsenal as one of the worst for this and is also promoted by their so called 'professional' manager.

Arteta is quickly becoming my most disliked manager.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arteta is like a crazed maniac on the touchline, which adds to the problem.

We're not halfway through the season and he's "gone too early" with all that stuff.

I see a Keeganesque capitulation in the offing there.

I agree. They looked last night like they're starting to run out of steam. Especially without Jesus.

That's before City and Liverpool have even hit top gear.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree. They looked last night like they're starting to run out of steam. Especially without Jesus.

That's before City and Liverpool have even hit top gear.
They don’t need to worry about Liverpool they won’t be clawing back a 16 point deficit.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
don't help when you got their manager Arteta also joining in running the whole length of the pitching jumping around like a school girl with a tantrum, quite embarrassing but I see Arsenal as one of the worst for this and is also promoted by their so called 'professional' manager.

0_GettyImages-1245897976.jpg

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Arsenal are definitely the worst for it. It's such a poor example to set kids who will soon be doing the same. Time for straight yellows for doing it. I thought the rule was only the captain was only allowed to challenge a decision. Seems that has gone right out of the window now

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This. It really is that simple! Same with diving, which seems to go unpunished 99.9999% of the time.

There are some incidents where no one is to blame. It's a coming together that is neither enough of a foul for a penalty, but it's also not a dive. But those ones are rare.

With VAR now checking every possible penalty, it should be part of their remit to advise the referee regarding simulation. As in telling the ref that it's not a penalty and the players has dived/tried to win the penalty.

It probably isn't part of their remit at the moment, as that would be getting involved in a yellow card offense, which opens up a can of worms!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
It is, unfortunately, just another aspect of 'gamesmanship' that has crept into the game. The 'Big Boys' don't like it though when it's done against them (e.g. Rashford kicking the ball away at the weekend because Neves took a free kick a couple of yards further up the pitch, yet how many times did you see Man U players walking yards up the touchline for throw ins etc).

Players and managers who try to 'ref' a game used to given short shrift, and completely agree that zero tolerance should be adopted.

It is a very visible and unpleasant form of gamesmanship, but not only that what message does it give to 'grass roots' football where some poor sod who most likely is reffing a game as a volunteer then gets subject to the same level of abuse, not to mention when you then start seeing kids behaving in the same way (or for that matter their parents on the touchlines).

I find it completely hypocritical when you see these players 'take a knee' to take a stand against all forms of discrimination (Sky Sports words), yet they exhibit extreme prejudice and abhorrent behaviour to officials during a match.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is, unfortunately, just another aspect of 'gamesmanship' that has crept into the game. The 'Big Boys' don't like it though when it's done against them (e.g. Rashford kicking the ball away at the weekend because Neves took a free kick a couple of yards further up the pitch, yet how many times did you see Man U players walking yards up the touchline for throw ins etc).

Players and managers who try to 'ref' a game used to given short shrift, and completely agree that zero tolerance should be adopted.

It is a very visible and unpleasant form of gamesmanship, but not only that what message does it give to 'grass roots' football where some poor sod who most likely is reffing a game as a volunteer then gets subject to the same level of abuse, not to mention when you then start seeing kids behaving in the same way (or for that matter their parents on the touchlines).

I find it completely hypocritical when you see these players 'take a knee' to take a stand against all forms of discrimination (Sky Sports words), yet they exhibit extreme prejudice and abhorrent behaviour to officials during a match.

I still quite enjoy seeing the smaller sides ****house bigger teams.

Like Arteta was annoying the hell out of me last night, but I loved it when Lascelles stood and stopped the throw in being taken at the end!

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
I still quite enjoy seeing the smaller sides ****house bigger teams.

Like Arteta was annoying the hell out of me last night, but I loved it when Lascelles stood and stopped the throw in being taken at the end!
Oh I agree, especially as they hate the tables being turned on them, but I think there's a difference between that sort of poophousing and the style of intimidation that's now taking place (look at Klopp just a couple of weeks ago).

I don't mind a certain amount where it at least used to be done with a little bit of class or humour, (think Vinny Jones crushing Gazza's Crown Jewels), but what's being done now is nothing short of trying to influence officials through intimidation.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good job Roy Keane ain't playing anymore.

Him and his Yanited team mates were a disgrace with the way they were in refs faces!

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely it needs to be stamped out.

Similarly there should be a massive increase in the accountability of referees for their performances - ultimately it's the fans game and we get no real insight from referees regarding key decisions, etc and instead we seem to get this "closed shop" stance.

T

TheConcourse

Simple really, just give everyone of them a yellow card, if they don’t retreat give them a second yellow.
If the game gets abandoned then so be it, it would soon stop
Totally agree. It’s the referees fault. Somewhere along the line they’ve tried to gain the respect of players in a competitive environment where teams are striving for % advantages. That can never work.

That’s the fundamental reason why we see favourable calls for bigger teams IMO. I don’t see cheating or corruption, but bias is there - no question.

Refereeing needs a complete overhaul, the mindset and execution doesn’t make any sense right now and VAR has simply confused things further.

Stop trying to befriend players and referee the football match based on its merits.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh I agree, especially as they hate the tables being turned on them, but I think there's a difference between that sort of poophousing and the style of intimidation that's now taking place (look at Klopp just a couple of weeks ago).

I don't mind a certain amount where it at least used to be done with a little bit of class or humour, (think Vinny Jones crushing Gazza's Crown Jewels), but what's being done now is nothing short of trying to influence officials through intimidation.

It's always happened in the game and is a big part of the game. Think of Fergie's mindgames, which might have subconsciously influenced decisions in big games.

Crowds do it too. Think of how hostile crowds can get towards referees at Molineux, which then has influenced how likely they are to give the next call to us.

What the authorities have to do is make sure it doesn't get out of control. Last night crossed the line a bit.

Gasman

Reaction score
Always thought a professional foul would be better served with a 10 min sin bin. It would stop it straight away and lead to more goals. Just think about how many times Adama has been taken out.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What...and upset the millionaire children who are their bread and butter? Unlikely, as with any of these simple common sense initiatives that are somehow just too difficult for football authorities to implement.
It has long been the problem that the football authorities do not appear to employ proper grown ups. Until they do and I am not holding my breath, many of the areas that need attention will be ignored. There have been rumblings about sorting out VAR, but it still has a long way to go. Premier League refereeing has needed a good shake up for a long time, especially referees favouring the 'big six'. Impeding in the penalty area also needs serious attention.

Mobbing the referee, as has been mentioned, is another disgrace. There are plenty of other issues that need attention.

I would like to see, certainly for each Premier League match, An independent group of say three ex professionals drawn from ex players and referees, to monitor and report on each match. These will need to be vetted so they are not selected to be monitoring any teams they may favour. Managers etc should be able to discuss their complaints with these people after the game to overcome the current ludicrous situation of their not being allowed to criticise the officials.

There is an offence of 'bringing the game into disrepute', the most guilty are the FA and the Premier League!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you look at it from the perspective of the players though, say Neves, he's an elite sports person competing in an elite competition yet has to deal with gross incompetence on a regular basis (often even in the same game) from a referee who can have a key influence over the outcome (not saying deliberately).

I would be absolutely fuming and frustrated if I were him, think of how we are in the stands, I think it's a credit at times they keep their frustrations to such a minimum.

The standard of refereeing in this country is simply just not good enough.

And re, the increased number of professional fouls (Pep's influence) the worst thing about that is the inconsistency from the referees as to who the team committing the foul is and who against, one of the "big 6" it's a lenient approach, against a "big 6" its a certain card.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought a professional foul would be better served with a 10 min sin bin. It would stop it straight away and lead to more goals. Just think about how many times Adama has been taken out.

I stopped playing weekend ameteur football a few years back. Someone mentioned recently that sin-binning is part of the ameteur game now!! Crazy.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I noticed that in one of the WC matches, where there was a female referee, the players did not surround her after she made a decision. I think players would be more respectful to female officials.

Back
Top Bottom