Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Players fans don't like

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread is in part a result of the comments in particular about David Edwards, to me a good professional, not particularly liked by some of our fans and indeed treated very critically by some posters on here.
When living in London in the mid-80's/early '90's I would go to watch Wimbledon mid-week at Plough Lane. At the time two players in particular were subject to sustained and critical comment by the fans namely John Scales and Lawrie Sanchez. Scales went on to play for Spurs and England. Sanchez scored probably the most important goal ever for the club when they won the FA Cup final.
While I may have had some sympathy for fans comments on Sanchez, the fact was that despite being in the top division at the time, the club did not have significant resources to replace him. And of course he always gave his all for the club. Of course attitude is important for a manager. A player with the wrong attitude undermines his authority and indeed the team spirit. So managers are going to persist with players we consider limited particularly if they believe they bring other attributes with them.
As for John Scales, I could never understand the fans dislike for him. He played alongside Keith Curle at the heart of the Wimbledon defence and I always considered him an excellent player.
Posters are critical of McCarthy/Kenny/Coleman for persisting with Dave Edwards the question is, what are those fans missing? You may not rate the managers particularly highly, but all managers will seek to exploit their best players. I accept Tring's criticism of KJ for dropping Afobe but prior to his being dropped he was not performing to his best in any event.

R

reanswolf

I think Dave Edwards creates a distinct issue, he plays for 90 minutes and something is definitely missing, he comes on as sub and routinely scores. He does create a real conundrum.

But yes some players are completely trashed, I think its just a reflection of a deeper frustration with the club.

But it does annoy me how people make allowences for better players. Afobe is given slack because he is potentially our best player.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I think those fans are missing is that it's not Dave who's at fault. He has good and bad aspects to his game, as does any player. He's a model pro who always gives his all. He does what he's asked without a fuss. He comes across extremely well in interviews as a polite, down to earth, and well spoken man.

The main problem with Dave is that he's often misused. Playing him on the wing is ridiculous. He's not a CM in a 4-4-2. He's good as an impact sub chasing players down, dragging players out of position with his runs, making stuff happen as other teams tire, and popping up in the right place when needed to score.

Dave does not pick the team or the formation.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst he does always give 100% I just don't think he's good enough for us. I think posters get frustrated by the fact that he should have been moved on years ago but he's still here and still starting games. It's very telling that no one has ever come in for him even when we were relegated to league one. The fact that he pops up with important goals now and again masks his lack of skill and technique. Also the fact that many better midfielders eg Davies,Milijas,Jones and Gued have come and gone when it's Dave that should have been moved on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It all falls at the managers door picking poor players will always in the end cost them their jobs

D

Dougan was king

I have nothing against Dave Edwards as a person,I just don't think he brings anything to the team,most games he hardly touches the ball .I can't understand how he is still at the club.

D

Deleted member 3518

I have nothing against Dave Edwards as a person,I just don't think he brings anything to the team,most games he hardly touches the ball .I can't understand how he is still at the club.

Agree Pete, would be nowhere near my first team as he won't with Wales if all players fit.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's been said in every other thread. If you want to blame anyone then blame Jackett for Edwards constant inclusion. Jackett sets the team up and it is Jackett that puts him in there to do whatever Jackett tells Edwards to do.

But one thing Edwards is never going to do is pick up the ball on the half way line, run at the opposition, skip past them, then pull other opposition players out to cover, or thread a ball between a space of 3 yards or even dink in precision corners or free kicks. He can't do that because he is not technically capable. Kenny puts him in for other reasons; which again others have pointed out these "off the ball" virtues.

Quite clearly KJ believes that neither Wallace, Saville, Evans or others can't do what he asks Edwards to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 3518

It's been said in every other thread. If you want to blame anyone then blame Jackett for Edwards constant inclusion. Jackett sets the team up and it is Jackett that puts him in there to do whatever Jackett tells Edwards to do.

But one thing Edwards is never going to do is pick up the ball on the half way line, run at the opposition, skip past them, then pull other opposition players out to cover, or thread a ball between a space of 3 yards or even dink in precision corners or free kicks. He can't do that because he is not technically capable. Kenny puts him in for other reasons; which again others have pointed out these "off the ball" virtues.

Quite clearly KJ believes that neither Wallace, Saville or others can't do what he asks Edwards to do.

Begs the question then why he signed them along with all the other dross, that's the question I'd like answering!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Begs the question then why he signed them along with all the other dross, that's the question I'd like answering!

Name a manager, in the championship, who has a better than 50/50 success rate in transfer dealings. Wven when you've millions to spend its hard, ask Vilas Boas or Rodgers!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst he does always give 100% I just don't think he's good enough for us. I think posters get frustrated by the fact that he should have been moved on years ago but he's still here and still starting games. It's very telling that no one has ever come in for him even when we were relegated to league one. The fact that he pops up with important goals now and again masks his lack of skill and technique. Also the fact that many better midfielders eg Davies,Milijas,Jones and Gued have come and gone when it's Dave that should have been moved on.

Totally agree with that.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Name a manager, in the championship, who has a better than 50/50 success rate in transfer dealings. Wven when you've millions to spend its hard, ask Vilas Boas or Rodgers!

Equally name me a manager in the championship who only plays one new signing, in his side, from the past two seasons worth of signings?!
Doubt you will find one, apart from us.
Not even a 50/50 success rate with Jackett and new signings, in the last two seasons.
Only one has really worked out and even he is sat on the bench now!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Equally name me a manager in the championship who only plays one new signing, in his side, from the past two seasons worth of signings?!
Doubt you will find one, apart from us.
Not even a 50/50 success rate with Jackett and new signings, in the last two seasons.
Only one has really worked out and even he is sat on the bench now!

But his early signings were on the whole good? Clarke aside? So shows he can pick players, still think Coady and Byrne will come good too, and look how many players take time to settle. I see Buterfield isn't a regular for Derby, also we've brought through more than most teams id rather do that than spend spend spend

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will see maws but unfortunately I have lost all faith in Jackett.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Quite clearly KJ believes that neither Wallace, Saville, Evans or others can't do what he asks Edwards to do.

Not being funny but Price and Macca can't do that either. price is playing well but has probably the easiest, least technical role in the team, break up play and pass it simply.

The only player with real ability to run at players is Graham...it's amazing we persisted with Others whilst he is so much better and, more importantly, giving a consistent level of performance that VLP and Henry can't manage to do.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will see maws but unfortunately I have lost all faith in Jackett.

Honestly? I can't tell!!!!

Sorry it's clouding everything you see as everything is bad too you, I don't say I want Rdwards playing but I'm not going to slag him off when he's in our shirt. I'd love Afobe to play like he did last season but he isn't, he's dropping far too deep and there's 2 schools of thought 1 is jackets told him too. Now if that's true it means Jackett is setting up a team with no forward, or 2 Afobe is doing what the hell he wants (he's admitted he prefers the deeper role) and has $$$$ed Jackett off so he dropped him and ALF gets picked and stats in position so Jackett didn't reintroduce Afobe Friday to starting line up? Now only one of them 2 reasons rings true to me and it's not the first one
He's awful at subs I agree, but so are lots of managers, Mick was a $$$$er for doing the opposite to what the crowd wanted (remember Swansea?)

Remember the right royal mess we were in when Jackett came in? Good squad counts for nothing with no morale, he did us proud, so for that I will give him time

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly? I can't tell!!!!

Sorry it's clouding everything you see as everything is bad too you, I don't say I want Rdwards playing but I'm not going to slag him off when he's in our shirt. I'd love Afobe to play like he did last season but he isn't, he's dropping far too deep and there's 2 schools of thought 1 is jackets told him too. Now if that's true it means Jackett is setting up a team with no forward, or 2 Afobe is doing what the hell he wants (he's admitted he prefers the deeper role) and has $$$$ed Jackett off so he dropped him and ALF gets picked and stats in position so Jackett didn't reintroduce Afobe Friday to starting line up? Now only one of them 2 reasons rings true to me and it's not the first one
He's awful at subs I agree, but so are lots of managers, Mick was a $$$$er for doing the opposite to what the crowd wanted (remember Swansea?)

Remember the right royal mess we were in when Jackett came in? Good squad counts for nothing with no morale, he did us proud, so for that I will give him time

Jackett has made far too many mistakes this season both with tactics and team selections.
Most other clubs in our league would have given him his marching orders by now. He is lucky we have an owner who has legged it!
I will always be grateful for league one and what he did but this season has shown to me he is an average championship manager and no better, in my opinion.
That may sound harsh but that is my opinion.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pulis was the same until he got Stoke up! You never can tell

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sick of the Edwards debate. Should have left years ago yet is still a first team regular! Completely sums up where we are as a club

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But his early signings were on the whole good? Clarke aside? So shows he can pick players, still think Coady and Byrne will come good too, and look how many players take time to settle. I see Buterfield isn't a regular for Derby, also we've brought through more than most teams id rather do that than spend spend spend

Because he was buying championship players to play in league one?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Dave is disliked at all, people just don't see him as a key component in our team.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me Dave Edwards is a luxury player. Now that may sound completely strange to some, but I remember an ex pro (who i wont mention because that will get shot down) making a comment once, in reference to his frustration in being labelled a luxury player - his response was a player who is a luxury is the one that often gives the ball away, that is the player who is the biggest luxury in a team.

For me David Edwards fits into that category. He does possess a goal threat granted, he also works hard, but he gifts possession too easily IMO.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He stops the team playing in a style that a lot of us would like to see. We would maybe concede more without Edwards but I am certain as a team we would create more chances and score more.

I also consider him a dishonest player as he did hide a lot when we were at a higher level. He calls for the ball all the time but doesn't want it when he gets it.

He is stopping potentially quality players that could develop for us by locking up a key position he is not suited for.

cowshed

Reaction score
For years I have read the anti Dave Edwards reviews on here. Obviously you all know a lot more than football managers at club and international level so why don't you apply for a football managers job and show everyone how good you are.

If Edwards were to score 6 goals in a game and end the season with 40 goals the majority on here would still be bemoaning him. I am not a football manager and my after school footballing was confined to the Wolverhampton Amature League divisions 6 and 7 in the 60's, so I don't know enough to be a manager as I played in a 2-3-5 formation, which is now a little out dated, but I like him and think he does a good job for the team. Only my opinion

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are far more fans that Dave Edwards probably doesn't like than fans who dislike Dave Edwards.

Let us know when the penny drops.

R

reanswolf

I like Dave Edwards, as a person, and as an impact sub.

Getting back to the OP, a number of players have always created that love-hate divide - especially wingers and central midfielders.

Paul Cook, even Kmac these days, Robbie Dennison, Mark Kennedy - players who have immense talent and create wonderful moments, but because they at times over-elaborate, they also frustrate the crowd at times.

Much of the Wolves fan base simply love speed merchants.

P

Paul76

There's always going to be a player that some fans will hate.

Keogh was the same. As soon as Edwards leaves, they'll move onto their next target.

DawleyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Keogh was the same. As soon as Edwards leaves, they'll move onto their next target.

you nailed it, right there

it seems scapegoat hunting is a favourite sport of some people

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I get the sense James Henry is the next whipping-boy-in-waiting should he manage to outlast Duracell Dave.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you nailed it, right there

it seems scapegoat hunting is a favourite sport of some people

Doesnt this happen at most clubs? i remember Mark Kendall getting loads of abuse but he always took it well. Than Karl Henry got quite abit (probably deserved it) mind. I think the common denominator are players who get in the side whatever the system or there own form.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get the sense James Henry is the next whipping-boy-in-waiting should he manage to outlast Duracell Dave.

Definitely. He has already been lined-up by some.

Rumour is, that is we drop both Edwards and Henry for Wallace and Byrne, not only will the whole team be galvanised into playing some super exciting football which guarantees results, they will also solve world hunger in time for Christmas, meaning there will never be a need for a Band Aid 40.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely. He has already been lined-up by some.

Rumour is, that is we drop both Edwards and Henry for Wallace and Byrne, not only will the whole team be galvanised into playing some super exciting football which guarantees results, they will also solve world hunger in time for Christmas, meaning there will never be a need for a Band Aid 40.

No one has said anything is guaranteed if we drop Edwards and Henry and play Byrne and Wallace.
A lot want to see something different tried, in an attacking, sense though, as what is clearly being used is not working in home games.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one has said anything is guaranteed if we drop Edwards and Henry and play Byrne and Wallace.
A lot want to see something different tried, in an attacking, sense though, as what is clearly being used is not working in home games.

The problem is I've seen numerous posters saying we WOULD of won Friday if took Edwards off! We may as easily of lost, no one knows

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem is I've seen numerous posters saying we WOULD of won Friday if took Edwards off! We may as easily of lost, no one knows

I actually am of the opinion we would have won if Jackett had made the subs, needed at the right times, which he didn't do.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would have won if he had brought Edwards off. He was beginning to tire and we needed to freshen things up at about 70 minutes. I think a double substitution at that point of Byrne and Afobe coming on for ALF and Edwards would have kept the energy up top and allowed us to see the game out ourselves, rather than hoping it would fizzle out like we did.

M

morosewolf

Simon Osborn was the ultimate marmite Wolves player. Personally I thought when the going got tough he got going and in a 2 man midfield (remember them?) was a bloody liability. Others loved him and saw him as a 1990's Hoddle

Back
Top Bottom