Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Perspective

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely I can’t be the only one thinking we may be getting a little carried away with our opening 2 results? I am as happy as the next guy with regards to the great start we have made ,and as they say, you can only beat what’s put in front of you.

I don’t want to sound like a misery guts but comments like “best wolves team in my life time†seem a little premature to me after beating a Blackburn side (surely destined for relegation) who had no central defenders available and a Fulham team who played midweek that I would have expected us to beat at home anyway!?

I remember after Stoke and Everton away last year when we had 5 pts from the opening 2 games everyone was just as bullish about our prospects for the season. For me those results last year were more of an achievement than v Blackburn and Fulham this year as I think they are better teams....and look what happened after those opening games.

Lets enjoy the moment...but let’s judge this team and our prospects for the season after 10 games not the opening 2 against quite frankly $$$$e and mediocre opposition.

Up the wolves.
Much love,
Misery Guts MT :D

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sharples

Perspective...

We have 6 points on August 21st. Last season, we achieved the same number of points by....

October 16th!!! :eek:

tipton81

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can understand the sentiment as we don't want to get too carried away only to fall flat but I'm 30 and yesterday was the best team performance I'd seen at Molineux. Considering we're in the PL for a third season this is definitely the best Wolves team in my lifetime.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perspective...

We have 6 points on August 21st. Last season, we achieved the same number of points by....

October 16th!!! :eek:

Well given our next games are Villa (A), Tottenham (H), Liverpool (A) and Newcastle (H) lets hope we are not going in to WBA (A) on Oct 16 this year needing anything from the game to beat that achievement.

S

Sharples

Well given our next games are Villa (A), Tottenham (H), Liverpool (A) and Newcastle (H) lets hope we are not going in to WBA (A) on Oct 16 this year needing anything from the game to beat that achievement.

QPR tucked between Spurs and Liverpool so we'll be OK! ;)

Villa 1pt
Spurs 0 pts
QPR 3 pts
Liverpool 0pts
Newcastle 3pts
The $$$$ 1 pt.

Reaction score
This thread implies people are thinking we're going to do a lot better than last season - I don't. I think we'll stay up comfortably (being a couple/few wins ahead of the pack at all times) and finish somewhere in the 16th to 13th category... there's not anyone expecting a top half finish or anything is there?!

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score

:D........ Give it some thought and you will feel better!

I think it is the performances individually and collectively that has created an optimistic mood rather than the results - rightly!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah...we've played 2 poor teams so far.
It's nice to get the points on the board though, we didnt get them last season in those games

It's unlikely that we're going to beat Man City, Man U and Chelsea again but i think we'll give Villa a bloody good game next Saturday....

UEAwolf

Reaction score
It's not often we are able to celebrate good performances - we should enjoy it whilst we can!

R

Rocky_Balllboa

Theres no fear anymore, we can go to Villa and get a result

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
we know were not going to win the league but lets celebrate a win. i thought it totally silly every news report saying wolves were 1/2 in the league after only 2 games. mick will keep their feet on the ground though, as he says, talk to me next may and ill give you a quote. it was good though to see our team playing with purpose.

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember after Stoke and Everton away last year when we had 5 pts from the opening 2 games everyone was just as bullish about our prospects for the season. For me those results last year were more of an achievement than v Blackburn and Fulham this year as I think they are better teams....and look what happened after those opening games.

Something must have been amiss for us to have achieved 5 points from 2 games. Being pedantic aside, whilst people are happy, I can't imagine anyone is thinking we've suddenly become a top 10 team or such nonsense. Personally I think we have a decent chance of the top half of the bottom half but could just as easily end up 17th, most likely depending on our luck with injuries.

T

Toupee4Rae

The good news for me is that whilst we have played 2 poor teams, we have actually beaten them. Last season every game against lower opposition and we struggled, this has to be a good sign so far.

Having said that as always some are getting carried away on here, it tends to be one extreme to the other, lets see where we are in a few months before we get excited.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Fulham were a decent side to be honest. That was precisely the sort of game we would have drawn/lost last year. The manner of the win is, imv, why everyone is optomistic.

S

Shergar

From today's times....

“They could enjoy the view from the summit of English football for the first time since the 1973-74 campaign..... After beating Norwich City and Sheffield United at this stage 38 years ago, Bill McGarry’s team lost their next five league games....
.but went on to finish twelfth and win the League Cupâ€

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Fulham were a decent side to be honest. That was precisely the sort of game we would have drawn/lost last year. The manner of the win is, imv, why everyone is optomistic.
I thought they played very much like last season where we were dominated and nicked a goal which although the opening goal, was not really deserved. Yesterday we should have had 3 or 4.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also amazed at getting 5 points from 2 games last season! How do you do that? Having said that, it's been a long time since I saw a team give the ball away so often as Fulham did. After the first 20 minutes they were awful. Played a lot like we did on occasions last season.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best way to look at it is we have 6 points towards safety - whatever safety is this season.. 35-40pts. Anything else is a bonus.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully no one is really carried away and the comments are meant to be taken light heartedly. However we were much better yesterday than the corresponding game only a few games ago. Indeed I was a little concerned we were taking the mickey too much towards the end of the game.
As homework compare and contrast that game a few weeks ago. We look more inventive and solider than last year. It was very encouraging.
I would just note that no doubt any champions league comments will appear ona Baggies board under a headline of us getting carried away!

J

Jungleee

Well to counter that one could argue Stoke are cack away and Everton start off the season poor anyway. So...I have no idea what I'm trying to say.

grumpy old wolf

Reaction score
I am not getting carried away but this team is playing better than last year , Fulham are in Europe so not a bad standard, I think we will have a better idea of how well we will do this year after the next couple of tougher games .

M

MonkeySpanner

We've had a good start but anyone with an ounce of common sence knows it's a marathon not a sprint. In reality we've signed our new Craddock on Johnson. He's come into the back four, taken control and got them organized. Were still a couple of players away from having a squad with enough quality to see us through. I still expect at least one player to come in before the window closes and then we shall see.

Having said all that! WHOO HOO COME ON ME BABBIES!!!

Salisbury Wolf

Reaction score
Well, I've got the last two predictions right, and it's going to be Villa 0 - 1 Wolves, so by 14:00 next Saturday we'll have 9 points and the nose bleed will continue. Heady times ;)

MacTrizzle

Reaction score
I dont see how you can say that getting 4 points from your opening 2 games, is better than getting 6? The difference between last year and this season is that we have played really well and the improvement in the team and the squad is evident.

After 2 games we already have 15% of the total points gained last season. It's been a great start, and the important thing is that Mick will be keeping the players grounded and take each game as it comes.

R

Remmington

Hopefully no one is really carried away and the comments are meant to be taken light heartedly. However we were much better yesterday than the corresponding game only a few games ago. Indeed I was a little concerned we were taking the mickey too much towards the end of the game.
As homework compare and contrast that game a few weeks ago. We look more inventive and solider than last year. It was very encouraging.
I would just note that no doubt any champions league comments will appear ona Baggies board under a headline of us getting carried away!
This.
Last season If we went 1-0 up in the first minute we would try to defend for the rest of the game! How many times were we accused of parking the bus... badly!? Doyle wasn't scoring, Fletch was on the bench with no hope of dislodging Doyle from the lone striker role untill fortune smiled on Mcarthy by taking Doyle out of the equasion. Suddenly we have a striker terrorising defenders in the air (Doyler cant do that) and scoring for fun.
Last game of the season was another godsend for Mcarthy because the only requirement was to score goals... and we did. Seemed like a lightbulb moment to me anyway. It will be interesting to see how we fare playing 451. Not least because Doyle isn't guarranteed to be "The One"

In my opinion:D

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Wolves can have 15 points by the end of the 10th match, no matter whom we would be playing, that would be heading for a good placing. I am not talking of a place in EUFA Champions League or Europa League, that will come in later seasons if we can continue with the appropriate development.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best way to look at it is we have 6 points towards safety - whatever safety is this season.. 35-40pts. Anything else is a bonus.

That's exactly how I see it. 12 wins should pretty much guarantee survival, we now need just 10 more from 36 games, 18 of which are at home.

D

Deleted member 3751

I look at it like we've got a bit of a gap over the bottom three now so survival form should see us keep a relegation battle at arms length. That's what I hope anyway.

PREM.L.L

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not carried away but..................were playing well. Yes BRFC weren't brilliant team wise but they have some good players, same with Fulham.

We are making chances and, more importantly, taking them.

Early days but striving for a top half finish is better than looking down at a relegation battle.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just one side in the last ten years have failed to finish in the top half having won
their opening 2 fixtures - Charlton, who finished 13th.

I'd take that.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually fancy us to do Villa, but I'll definitely settle for a point.

I don't think the players will get carried away; Mick's told them not to.

We'll finish somewhere around 12th-15th I reckon.

wolf97

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just one side in the last ten years have failed to finish in the top half having won
their opening 2 fixtures - Charlton, who finished 13th.

I'd take that.

That's a nice fact. I'll be delighted with 13th.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are 5 points up on the same fixtures last season - we've already bought some leeway if we fail to emulate last year's results against the so-called big teams. Just as importantly taking points off teams who come next May are likely to be near us in the table - something we failed to do much of last year. That's good enough reason to be cheerful!:D

B

Basingstoke Wolf

Surely I can’t be the only one thinking we may be getting a little carried away with our opening 2 results? I am as happy as the next guy with regards to the great start we have made ,and as they say, you can only beat what’s put in front of you.

I don’t want to sound like a misery guts but comments like “best wolves team in my life time†seem a little premature to me after beating a Blackburn side (surely destined for relegation) who had no central defenders available and a Fulham team who played midweek that I would have expected us to beat at home anyway!?

Lets enjoy the moment...but let’s judge this team and our prospects for the season after 10 games not the opening 2 against quite frankly $$$$e and mediocre opposition.

Up the wolves.
Much love,
Misery Guts MT :D

perspective is a very personal thing though!

i dont think people rate the 2011/12 Wolves as infinitely better than the 2010/11 version, although they probably are.

for many this is best Wolves team of their lifetime, it may not be the best Wolves team of your lifetime, but it certainly is of mine, and i'm by no means the youngest poster on this forum!

to put it in to perspective for you, i am 32 years old and although i was alive when Wolves were arguably a better team than we are now - a League Cup triumph and European football suggests they were - i don't remember it!

Mick McCarthys 2011/12 Wolves are the best Wolves team i have ever seen since supporting the club from 1986 onwards. We were however briefly, top of the entire English League system, it may never happen again - so let's enjoy it.

i am hopeful that this all conquering, table topping, so far unbeaten team with a 100% record will improve on last seasons finish. i don't believe for a second though, that we will be in the top 4 come may.

i do believe that the 2012/13 Wolves will be the greatest Wolves team i have ever seen - i hope you will see this from my perspective and not lay scorn upon my own personal peception.

Back
Top Bottom