Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Perspective - Championship Top Ten

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Solbakken could play 4-3-3 and try and be focused on possession and people would understand that he needs time to get players to fit that style and new formation.

But he doesn't, unless I have missed something, we play 4-4-2 and look worse than last year. There is no new style (which I'm fine about, we dont have to be Swansea) but that means I expect results now!!

Again as I mentioned on another thread.

SS wants Berra to sign a new contract.
Appointed Ward vice-captain, praises him.
Henry signed 4-year deal under him.

Now a lot of you believe/hope that he is going to turf these out to make way for his 'new style' - but quite clearly he is not, so nothing will change.

E

Edgmond Wolf

I knew this season wouldnt be plain sailing but it has been shocking so far. To lose 3-0 at home to PBoro is nothing short of a disgrace.
We havent looked convincing in virtually any game this season and that is a big worry for me.

This in spades

I don't think we have played well yet for a full 90 minutes, we barely make 45 minutes against the Posh we didn't even get out of bed

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Solbakken could play 4-3-3 and try and be focused on possession and people would understand that he needs time to get players to fit that style and new formation.

But he doesn't, unless I have missed something, we play 4-4-2 and look worse than last year. There is no new style (which I'm fine about, we dont have to be Swansea) but that means I expect results now!!

Now a lot of you believe/hope that he is going to turf these out to make way for his 'new style' - but quite clearly he is not, so nothing will change.

Good post.
It infuriates me that he never tries a different formation from the start and just ignores the younger members of the squad.

A

andyc225

No-one can offer any other side that they would rather have, so I took that to mean we have one of the best squads.

And yes I am living in 2007, because I know what these players can do.
Your right in saying what you say with your alternative thoughts on our players because at the moment they are rubbish, but mine is also right because we KNOW they can be too good for this league - which means the manager is not getting everything out he players, and others would.

You are accepting mediocrity and not blaming the manager.

We know what they COULD do, not what they can do. As I've said many times before players who have nothing left to accomplish won't accomplish much. They've achieved their dreams of being Premiership footballers and weren't very good at it. Why would they want to go up again and be embarrassed every single week?

Blackburn's not a good example, but are Bolton getting the best out of their squad? They have some good players by Championship standards. They've changed manager too, why aren't they pulling up any trees?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why is it?

A very valid question. Why are you all so delusional as to think a side that got so emphatically relegated last season is any better then the sides in that top 10?

M

Mr Wolf

I've been saying this for about 20 games now but people still refuse to believe it and bring up the transitional period. stales players, not used to his tactics crap etc

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I knew this season wouldnt be plain sailing but it has been shocking so far. To lose 3-0 at home to PBoro is nothing short of a disgrace.
We havent looked convincing in virtually any game this season and that is a big worry for me.

Cardiff lost at home to Peterborough

Bahama Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
brendan rogers is having exactly the same problems at liverpool.

Absolute mess left by previous manager and trying to change those players to play differently.

On paper should they be where they are in the premiership?
Should they be losing 3-1 at stoke?

this 1000%

E

Essex Wolf

Depending on who Stale may sign in Jan along with the return of some of the much missed injured players Wolves could have a much better run and things look much rosier.

D

Cardiff lost 2-1 was it? They weren't humiliated 3-0.

Plus they are top of the league, so their fans no doubt will accept off days, (as we did with MM during promotion campaign) but I'm sure they wouldn't accept it had they seen the team look embarassing and woeful for around 75% of the games played.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are their many better keepers than Ikeme in the league? Not many.
Are there many better CB pairings than Johnson and Berra? Defensively, they're amongst the best. As ball players once they've won the ball, they're average.
Foley was our player of the year in this very division when we won it. Foley has been disappointing for the past three seasons since and never recaptured that form consistently.
Ward plays international football and was an average LB in the Premier League. He plays for the Republic of Ireland - not Brazil. He was one of our worst defenders, in the worst defense in the Premiership......
Henry has captained a side in the Premier League for years. He captained a side that was out of its depth in the Premiership for three years.
Doumbia was proclaimed as 'Yaya Toure of the Championship', by many. And?
Sako can win games on his own. No he can't - otherwise he would be.
Pennant has played in a Champions League Final!! Yes, years ago - he's $$$$ now.
Doyle was wanted by Arsenal about 18 months ago and must be one of the best all round attackers in the division. He's scores around 6 goals a season. Hardly a statistic that makes opposition defenders $$$$ themselves. He also wouldn't get in their side anyway. Arsenal once signed Francis Jeffers. What's he done since?
SEB has won the golden boot in this division a few times. Yes, years ago. He's been in and out of the side since then, and is clearly not the player he once was.

You're still living in 2007. A lot has happened since then. Players get older. Players become poorer. Some get better. Some become complacent because they've been at the same place for too long.

Does Alex Ferguson stick with the same bunch of players that wins him the Premiership each year? No, because he recognises that to keep things fresh and moving, you have to continually keep building and developing your squad.

This squad has detoriated big time. Yes, the manager is getting things wrong - but the players are also very poor too.

Sick of hearing all this "they did it before, so they can do it again" $$$$$$$$.

The Ferguson bit is the key, Mick showed too much loyalty (or the club refused to spend) we should have replaced 5 first teamers when we had the bonus "Hunt Goal" season. I honestly walked out of that game thinking it was the breakthrough we needed to build a stable premier league club. Top quality left back, two centre halfs, quality central midfielder, and a fast striker - the lot for £20m and we would be there now. For me this was Micks big mistake - Loyalty.

D

Dewsburywolf

Swansea and Norwich had freak seasons last year they are not the norm. Lets not forget we got up easy in the end as champions and stayed up for 2 seasons playing this terrible boring one dimensional football :rolleyes:

Care to look at the Premier League table right now?

Swansea 9th
Norwich 11th

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cardiff lost at home to Peterborough

What was the score? 1-2. We were totally outplayed by PBoro and lost 0-3. I highly doubt Cardiff were totally outplayed and the difference is they win nearly all of their games at home where as we are quite simply $$$$e and a load of rubbish at home.
I stand by what I said earlier. We havent looked convincing in nearly all of the games we have played this season and our style of play is quite frankly dreadful.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
The Ferguson bit is the key, Mick showed too much loyalty (or the club refused to spend) we should have replaced 5 first teamers when we had the bonus "Hunt Goal" season. I honestly walked out of that game thinking it was the breakthrough we needed to build a stable premier league club. Top quality left back, two centre halfs, quality central midfielder, and a fast striker - the lot for £20m and we would be there now. For me this was Micks big mistake - Loyalty.

Quite simply M&M in league with McCarthy literally gambled on eking out another season of 'survival' with minimal expenditure in order to try and fill the coffers further.

Everyone but everyone knew at the start of the season that the team needed at least 4 or 5 new players, players that were better than the current ones.....what we got was RJ, the biggest hole ever used to improve a defence in the history of the PL!

To make it worse, incredibly and ludicrously, they tried to sell the season as one where we could achieve “top 10” status!

Last edited by a moderator:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nail on the head

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
These players aren't over the hill now, they're still young.

SEB, Foley, Henry, Ward would all be how they were in the past under a different manager.

And Henry wasn't out his depth for 3 years, this side ALWAYS competed under MM.

What you say about some of our players is right but a new manager should rejuvenate them because, answer honestly, if Bruce (easy example) was manager would these players be under-performing? No.

Also what teams would you swap sides with then???

Wasn't much of that in MM's last season though was there?

D

Yes! We were 18th when he left - the first time we had been in the bottom 3 all season, so they were okay.

Not saying we would have survived cause it was rubbish, but we would have put up a fight, which is exactly what we didnt do when the board effectively signed our relegation by appointing TC

C

Captain Bertorelli

A good team on paper?

Ikeme - Promising. Played 37 games. Sicknote history.
Foley - Barely made the Ireland team. Considered not as good as the mighty Paul McShane.
Johnson - Good 2 seasons for Birmingham in an ultra defensive team.
Berra - For sale but couldn't get anyone to buy him. Previously dropped for Jody Craddock.
Ward - 'Come & get me' call before embarrassing in last major championships for RoI. Still here.
Pennant - In decline. Got 'swapped' for someone with a shocking injury record.
Henry - Nothing player. Neither protects nor creates. Overlooked by Prem vultures.
Doumbia - Young foreign player. Hasn't even learned the language yet. Squad player in Ligue 1.
Sako - Unknown & unpredictable young foreign player.
SEB - Couldn't get into one of the poorest EPL teams.
Doyle - Never a goal scorer. Only ever signed by Reading & MM. Not picked up by Prem vultures.

E

Edgmond Wolf

A good team on paper?

Foley - Barely made the Ireland team. Considered not as good as the mighty Paul McShane.
Berra - For sale but couldn't get anyone to buy him. Previously dropped for Jody Craddock.
Ward - 'Come & get me' call before embarrassing in last major championships for RoI. Still here.
Henry - Nothing player. Neither protects nor creates. Overlooked by Prem vultures.
Doumbia - Young foreign player. Hasn't even learned the language yet. Squad player in Ligue 1.
Doyle - Never a goal scorer. Only ever signed by Reading & MM. Not picked up by Prem vultures.

You like our team then? :p

D

Dewsburywolf

A good team on paper?

He's Ward's alternative isn't he?

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes! We were 18th when he left - the first time we had been in the bottom 3 all season, so they were okay.

Not saying we would have survived cause it was rubbish, but we would have put up a fight, which is exactly what we didnt do when the board effectively signed our relegation by appointing TC

so despite not showing any of those "competing" qualities for much of the season, we're expected to believe that we would have suddenly shown it in the final 13 games of the season, after being tonked, by our rivals?

your argument isn't logical.

our relegation was signed the minute MM didn't freshen the squad up.

Back
Top Bottom