Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pedro Neto

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
As someone whose own football career was blighted by chronic hamstring problems, seeing the videos of the way he was walking off, looks very much like a Grade 2 injury.

Would be very surprised if we see him back before mid-April.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As someone whose own football career was blighted by chronic hamstring problems, seeing the videos of the way he was walking off, looks very much like a Grade 2 injury.

I don't know what level you played to, but hopefully the medical staff and facilities are better for Pedro than they were for you...

And obviously he won't have to limp on to his day job, if that's what's you had to do.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Once a hamstring goes it will always be a problem.

It is all about his workload management by the club and that seems to be the issue here!

He is being overplayed and not enough rest/prehab time for him
Having all three of your first choice forwards out with hamstring issues suggests a bigger problem, likely inadequate squad depth.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The main timeline now is the FA Cup semi. 5-6 weeks?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary's admitted he messed up starting Neto today, completely blames himself, fair play

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having all three of your first choice forwards out with hamstring issues suggests a bigger problem, likely inadequate squad d
No **** Sherlock.

Club negligent in this regard.

Short term magical thinking decisions taken over rationality, precedence and current advanced knowledge. These should be disciplinary matters.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the days of Nuno when we were deliberately passive, a small squad worked up to a point. With an all-action, pressing, expansive style as preferred by O'Neil, the small squad approach is doomed to break down around this stage of the season. We've done well to keep injuries to a minimum, but it's coming home to roost now.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the days of Nuno when we were deliberately passive, a small squad worked up to a point. With an all-action, pressing, expansive style as preferred by O'Neil, the small squad approach is doomed to break down around this stage of the season. We've done well to keep injuries to a minimum, but it's coming home to roost now.
The small squad is by virtue of our financial position, I'd imagine should we have had more wiggle room we would have happily continued to expand, but we don't.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
But I was gutted for Pedro because we did everything we could in the week. He had a scan which was all clear and he was ok yesterday and he felt good today, so a tough one for me to take because it was ultimately my decision to play him and one I have to take on the chin.

Get well soon Pedro

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I accept what the coach has said re Neto, but with a paper thin squad, why in heavens name are we trying to win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe.
Surely somewhere down the line we have to prioritise, as we clearly don't have the depth of squad to achieve both.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
But I was gutted for Pedro because we did everything we could in the week. He had a scan which was all clear and he was ok yesterday and he felt good today, so a tough one for me to take because it was ultimately my decision to play him and one I have to take on the chin.

Get well soon Pedro

He wouldn't exactly had been happy to be dropped on his birthday after passing the fitness tests, I would assume.

Unfortunate, but just one of those things.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wouldn't exactly had been happy to be dropped on his birthday after passing the fitness tests, I would assume.

Unfortunate, but just one of those things.
Yeah just one of those things when s player pulls up from a known injury....

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I accept what the coach has said re Neto, but with a paper thin squad, why in heavens name are we trying to win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe.
Surely somewhere down the line we have to prioritise, as we clearly don't have the depth of squad to achieve both.
Are you saying we go into certain games with a bunch of kids to protect the senior pros? Not sure too many fans would buy into that. Imv GON is right, we play the best team available.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

........and returns for pre-season in June. There is no way anyone will pay £60-80 mil for a player who has a history of breaking down. He's only 24, imo clubs will now wait to see how he does through next season.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I never like to see players injured, with Neto‘s injury record, the Sky six may hesitate to buy him. I may be clutching at straws, but I would like to see him here next season.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you saying we go into certain games with a bunch of kids to protect the senior pros? Not sure too many fans would buy into that. Imv GON is right, we play the best team available.
Think you're taking my comments to the extreme tbh, but my thoughts are that we could end up with nothing in the locker if things conspire against us.
We played Neto today and I could suggest he wasn't 100% ready.
Just my view of course; you may have a different perspective on things.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Get well soon Pedro
Blimey, I could have sworn it was Gary that said that.

:cool:

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the thing is, the knowledge of how to manage the workload of explosive athletes in sport is covered on most undergraduate sport science and physiotherapy courses.

They know how to do it……

The question is why we aren’t doing it and losing players so frequently
Because we don’t have enough alternatives

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn’t as bad as people made out. He walked off the pitch. He will be back by the end of the month same for Cunha
Tring said above that when he played he suffered from chronic hamstring problems and suggests a later return date than you predict? I know nothing about hamstring issues but for Neto this injury is now becoming a regular thing. Do players ever get fully over this or could he break down regularly in the future?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tring said above that when he played he suffered from chronic hamstring problems and suggests a later return date than you predict? I know nothing about hamstring issues but for Neto this injury is now becoming a regular thing. Do players ever get fully over this or could he break down regularly in the future?
It’s because of the explosiveness of his running that’s why he pulls up. Should probably warm up and stretch more maybe. It will always happen to players that are quick. Unfortunately. It depends on the severity the fact he was walking fine might mean 2/4 weeks.

We will find out more next week but I honestly don’t think it’s as bad as people think.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
While I never like to see players injured, with Neto‘s injury record, the Sky six may hesitate to buy him. I may be clutching at straws, but I would like to see him here next season.
I concur. Not for the money I would hope we would hold out for judging by his contract. Pedro looks to have a similar injury rate to Jota.

Jota had the ability to be that level below world class, but for me his injuries keep holding him back from a step up. It held him back here to be honest and seems to suffer the same at Liverpool.

I really hope I'm wrong with Neto, but he too at 24 hasn't stayed fit for a period of time to make that same next step.

Maybe GON/medical staff were wrong today. Maybe they weren't. But Pedro's had these issues under a number of managers and teams and it unfortunately might keep him from the very top

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
........and returns for pre-season in June. There is no way anyone will pay £60-80 mil for a player who has a history of breaking down. He's only 24, imo clubs will now wait to see how he does through next season.
I think he may be back sooner, but like you I am not sure anyone will put a big bid in in summer

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully more grade one than two but still be out for a few weeks I presume.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love Neto but would take the money for him in the summer if it's £50m or more....too many injury issues for such a young player.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This has been going to happen for a while. I picked it up when we played United, he asked to come off and GON refused to bring him off. He's played within himself for weeks now, and in the Brighton game he pulled up twice.

I dont think the risk has been worth the reward playing him. As the manager said, he's got to take it on the chin as he made the call, but it wouldnt be as big of an issue if we just got in another player. Not convinced even with our FFP issues there wasnt 1 player out there to help the squad.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love Neto but would take the money for him in the summer if it's £50m or more....too many injury issues for such a young player.

I get people say that, but apart from these hamstring injuries i wouldnt say he has been the type of player who just breaks down for no reason. IIRC, his long term ankle problem was the result of a bad tackle at West Ham, then he got a freak knee cap injury, which our medical team mismanaged and he didn't get over it well.

Hamstrings are a worry though. Having 3 forwards all having hamstring issues has a lot more to do with our style of play and our intensity with this current squad. I called this at the start of January, it was madness to rely on our forwards playing week in week out until the end of the season. Unless GON was prepared to tweak our style and take some intensity out of our play, this was 100% always going to happen.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happens here on in this season has been brilliant. We should beat Coventry and a semi final would be a fantastic achievement. A top 10 finish would also be amazing. But if we can't strengthen the squad in the summer then I don't want European football. The extra games would kill us.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn't the same hamstring. And all the tests in the lead up to the game showed no issues.
True, but footballers get over-compensation injuries that affect the other side if they play with an underlying problem. Unless of course him pulling his left hamstring the week after tweaking his right, is a total coincidence? Of course not, and Gary did, "take it on the chin" for playing Pedro from the start. Though with Fraser starting, I certainly understand his temptation to start Neto. That's how thin we are. The physio staff have had it relatively easy until now - we'll see how good their judgement is now the treatment table is starting to book up.

A win over Fulham is all well and good to keep our league momentum, but the squad is simply not deep enough to attack two fronts. It's obvious now. We have to beat Coventry and get to Wembley, that's the only memory from this season that matters. From there who knows if we get say, Chelsea whom we've already doubled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom