Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pedro Neto

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's tricky though ay it.

I'd rather be a stepping stone than not be a stepping stone.

We can't ever compete with the big boys in terms of spending so have to shop smarter, more efficiently. Say if Neto was playing for Palace there is no way we could realistically sign him so i'd much rather get him earlier in his career so we do get to see Neto (or players like him)

Part of the appeal for talented youngsters to sign for us is that they can go on to bigger and better things, if you stop them it then because much harder to "sell" Wolves to them.

It's always a risk trying to replace our best players, but surely it's better to have that headache as it means we've been recruiting good players. If we didn't sign players to be a "stepping stone for them" we still need players to come and play for us, so i'd rather we're recruiting quality players who make a few quid for us than players who aren't as good and don't make us any money.

Fosun aren't bank rolling us into the top six, so this is the only viable strategy we have.

Yeah, it's such a fine balancing act.

But I don't think we should ever be paying upwards of £25m/£30m for a player. I think the club has maybe recognised that too with the change of strategy after over spending on the likes of Cunha, Nunes, Semedo, Guedes and Silva.

Signing the likes of Neto, Hwang and Gomes for under £20m is where we need to be shopping in my opinion.

Plus picking up the likes of Toti and Bueno for next to nothing.

Low risk, high potential/reward type players.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Every game he plays and plays well Paul Merson will be selling him to Arsenal and Tim Sherwood will be selling him to Spurs !!
Yeah but his price must be over £50m and who will pay it?

Man utd, city or chelsea? I don't think the north london clubs would pay out

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surprised it’s Arsenal always mentioned as his main suitors when they already have Saka, Trossard and Martinelli. Would think others of the top 6 would have more benefit to his profile.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised it’s Arsenal always mentioned as his main suitors when they already have Saka, Trossard and Martinelli. Would think others of the top 6 would have more benefit to his profile.
Because intermediary agents have spoken to Gestifute before about moving to Arsenal however they was only willing to pay 25m. Now we all know realistically that figure would have to be tripled now. Lazy journalism over old links that never materialised because they didn’t want to pay up back then..

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Swap Doku for Neto on Saturday and City probably win that game.

I think any team could find a use for him.

Arsenal are the only ones with a known long-standing interest. I'd be amazed if United weren't interested too, given how terrible their wide players are.
Possibly, I wonder if without the room to run into, he would have been stifled as Doku was.
Tbh I'm just trying to find reasons for other teams to overlook him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, it's such a fine balancing act.

But I don't think we should ever be paying upwards of £25m/£30m for a player. I think the club has maybe recognised that too with the change of strategy after over spending on the likes of Cunha, Nunes, Semedo, Guedes and Silva.

Signing the likes of Neto, Hwang and Gomes for under £20m is where we need to be shopping in my opinion.

Plus picking up the likes of Toti and Bueno for next to nothing.

Low risk, high potential/reward type players.

There's an interesting Tifo video on Brightons recruitment/development strategy. Pointed out that they buy a *lot* of younger players to fit their overall development/succession strategy. They showed a list of the number of players signed in the last 6 years and highlighted Brighton as 3rd most in England. Even more interesting, we were number 2! So though we don't spend as much as the Big 6, we sign more low cost players.

In a way, our strategy isn't that far removed from Brightons. I'm guessing they've either executed it better - or been luckier. The main difference appeared to be that their team playing strategy is determined at higher level than the coach. So when manager/coach moves on, they don't get stuck with a load of players the new manager doesn't want.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't sell....use the money earned from this year's transfers to strengthen and assure the club was making a serious attempt at too 6. Sell at end of 24/25 if don't make it to Europe.

Only way to effectively challenge

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't sell....use the money earned from this year's transfers to strengthen and assure the club was making a serious attempt at too 6. Sell at end of 24/25 if don't make it to Europe.

Only way to effectively challenge
What money?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a way, our strategy isn't that far removed from Brighton's. I'm guessing they've either executed it better - or been luckier.

Both I think!

Tony Bloom (Brighton owner) also used his knowledge of bookmaking to develop an algorithm....

"The secret sauce to their recruitment is the Brighton owner Tony Bloom’s algorithm, which identifies personnel from around the globe who fit the needs of Brighton’s machine. The modelling is so widely coveted that the vast majority of the club’s own staff don’t have a working knowledge of it, nor access to the clandestine spreadsheet that lists the desired replacements for key individuals."

I would imagine all clubs have similar lists, similar players who fit the criteria of players they are looking for. But clearly Bloom's technique works better than most.

I think our model fell off a cliff a bit when we changed to a back 4.

All of a sudden, players who had been recruited for specific roles within that setup were no longer used as they had been recruited for. I'm thinking players like Cristian Marques, who was very highly rated and a natural successor to Coady.

fleck1

Reaction score
While in general terms l agree the main thrust of this we need to be looking to move ourselves up the food chain in parallel. Permanent acceptance of stepping stone status would ultimately be self-defeating.
I get what you are saying but its almost impossible, there are that many barriers in place to stop the status quo being affected at the top. Every club outside of that is a bad window or two away from a relegation battle, no matter what they say if you aren't in that big 6 your aim firstly is 40 points. Its depressing there is no level playing field

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every game he plays and plays well Paul Merson will be selling him to Arsenal and Tim Sherwood will be selling him to Spurs !!

The October 28th Newcastle game is on Sky at 5.30 and those games always feature the talking tailors dummy Jaime Talkcrap, sorry Freudian slip I meant Redknapp. You just know his rhetoric will be " Well nah disrespect to Wolves but Neto needs to be at one the Premier League's big clubs "

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
The October 28th Newcastle game is on Sky at 5.30 and those games always feature the talking tailors dummy Jaime Talkcrap, sorry Freudian slip I meant Redknapp. You just know his rhetoric will be " Well nah disrespect to Wolves but Neto needs to be at one the Premier League's big clubs "
Does he really wear Skechers though ?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

sorry for making Liverpool unhappy for price of Neto. Let me bend over Mr Klopp….
They offered big money for Caiecido so they can’t say they can’t afford him!

Another situation we want to avoid is a repeat of the Neves one.

If we can keep Neto for another season in this form then fantastic. None of us would want to stand in his way of a big move if it’s good for everyone involved. Meaning they meet our valuations. Until that time talk is very cheap after some good form

JJ59

Reaction score
Both I think!

Tony Bloom (Brighton owner) also used his knowledge of bookmaking to develop an algorithm....

"The secret sauce to their recruitment is the Brighton owner Tony Bloom’s algorithm, which identifies personnel from around the globe who fit the needs of Brighton’s machine. The modelling is so widely coveted that the vast majority of the club’s own staff don’t have a working knowledge of it, nor access to the clandestine spreadsheet that lists the desired replacements for key individuals."

I would imagine all clubs have similar lists, similar players who fit the criteria of players they are looking for. But clearly Bloom's technique works better than most.

I think our model fell off a cliff a bit when we changed to a back 4.

All of a sudden, players who had been recruited for specific roles within that setup were no longer used as they had been recruited for. I'm thinking players like Cristian Marques, who was very highly rated and a natural successor to Coady.
Excellent article in the Sunday Times about Blooms connections with the British owner of the Belgian club Royal Union. Their joint software supports every purchase at Union and they have identified Paris, Sao Paulo and Croyden (??) as fertile areas for players. When he searched for a club to buy he sought a lower league who had foreign owners. That way he would have supporters not fazed by foreign ownership and lower league because expectations would be lower but progress also easier to achieve. He is a numbers man who understood calculus aged 7. They also think that our 2nd Division has a great pool of players to choose from. Using his systems they have bought players for £200k and sold on for £20m, getting promoted and becoming a top Belgian side in the process. They play Liverpool this week. I wouldn't mind him owning WW.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent article in the Sunday Times about Blooms connections with the British owner of the Belgian club Royal Union. Their joint software supports every purchase at Union and they have identified Paris, Sao Paulo and Croyden (??) as fertile areas for players. When he searched for a club to buy he sought a lower league who had foreign owners. That way he would have supporters not fazed by foreign ownership and lower league because expectations would be lower but progress also easier to achieve. He is a numbers man who understood calculus aged 7. They also think that our 2nd Division has a great pool of players to choose from. Using his systems they have bought players for £200k and sold on for £20m, getting promoted and becoming a top Belgian side in the process. They play Liverpool this week. I wouldn't mind him owning WW.
Looking at the number of talented kids at Palace l can see why Croydon comes up....

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
New deal with an £85m release clause for Champions League teams, active from next summer.

Then just refer them back to the release clause when they come calling.
Seems about right to me. Arsenal were going to pay a similar amount for Mudryk I think so for a young, PL proven player in Neto with today's prices, I'd be after that kind of figure

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at the number of talented kids at Palace l can see why Croydon comes up....
South London cage football. Real breeding ground where kids probably concentrate more on skills and technique than anything else

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess living where you do WW, you pick up all the local football gossip.

Despite Saturday, I still expect us to be in a bit of a survival scrap come the new year.
Question is, if Arsenal were to dangle a fair size cheque in front of the club's owners, would they bank the money or put up a "not for sale" notice and send them packing?
Re your first para l certainly hear a few things about the Gooners and Spuds.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t believe all this bs that prem clubs want him. Arsenal have been watching for a while but don’t want to pay much for him.

An unnamed Saudi pro club are 100% interested from what Iv heard and could offer big big money in the summer. Let’s wait and see. They will blow most other offers out of the water if true.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. Wolves will already be identifying replacements, not just for Neto, but for everyone on the pitch. Long term succession planning, bringing big sums into the coffers.
As long as they are looking to replace failures as well. Not just the good guys we sell .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this. Wolves will already be identifying replacements, not just for Neto, but for everyone on the pitch. Long term succession planning, bringing big sums into the coffers.
Didnt seem to find anyone for Jota or Jimmy after a 3 to 4 year search . Or Patricio in my books.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
If the rumours are to be be believed that Liverpool are interested in him along with Arsenal ,what could we realistically expect to receive for him if he does leave in the next 12/18 months ? He is 23 and under contract until 2027 so any thoughts of a contrived deal spread over a number of years at £1 a week etc won’t wash after having our trousers taken down over the Jota transfer and ludicrous Traore loan deal .

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the rumours are to be be believed that Liverpool are interested in him along with Arsenal ,what could we realistically expect to receive for him if he does leave in the next 12/18 months ? He is 23 and under contract until 2027 so any thoughts of a contrived deal spread over a number of years at £1 a week etc won’t wash after having our trousers taken down over the Jota transfer and ludicrous Traore loan deal .
Depends if he keeps up his current form.. as other have said, when he performs against the top clubs, it has a big affect on his valuation.. because they’re all looking for players who can win them tough games.

He’s a real match winner atm.. I read a lot of Arsenal fans had concerns over his end product at start of season, but he’s been fantastic this season and his end product, which I always knew he had, has shown.

So if he continues to play as he is until January he would have 3/4 goals and 8/9 assists by then, I would say £60-75million depending on how much competition there is for his signature.

Could be even more if we keep hold of him until next Summer.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pedro Neto is currently bringing world class performances on the pitch on a pretty consistens basis.
Nothing south of 70 Mill Pounds at present,and if he keeps on performing the way he currently is then that price tag will rise even further.
If staying free from injuries he will go coming summer and he will go as our record transfer deal.
The pace he´s on at current is sheer world class.High on confidence on top of that and we should squeeze every penny out of the high profile transfer that´s unfortunately is in the making.
There will be huge demand for the services of Pedro Neto.
We must cash in when the times comes in an ultimate fashion.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
£55m tops

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£55m tops
I think we would hold out for more to be honest if bidding war starts happy days

Only takes one Saudi club comes along and slap 80m on the table for example and blows everyone other offer out the water

We will hold him till the summer hopefully his head doesn’t get spun by the talk.

Media outlets linking him with every so called big club after some good performances.

Pep maybe tempted

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we would hold out for more to be honest if bidding war starts happy days

Only takes one Saudi club comes along and slap 80m on the table for example and blows everyone other offer out the water

We will hold him till the summer hopefully his head doesn’t get spun by the talk.

Media outlets linking him with every so called big club after some good performances.

Pep maybe tempted
He’s also only just started playing well. He needs a full season of these performances. He’s only one injury away from being back to square one

I hope he shows wolves some loyalty after we have stuck by him last 2-3 years.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Provided he keeps playing as good as he is for the rest of the season I genuinely believe we could sell him in the £80-100m bracket - especially if he starts performing consistently at RW.

A huge amount of top clubs in Europe right now could do with a quality RW option, even Liverpool with the talk of them replacing Salah in the next year or so. The only club that doesn't really need one to be a starter is Arsenal as they have struck gold with Saka (although they could probably do with a depth option to give him a rest every now & again)

Just as an example, Utd paid £84m for Antony & £73m for Sancho to address that RW spot & neither has filled it...

molineux man

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Saw that Neto was trending on Twitter - seems to be mostly coming from Arsenal fans who are almost in a state of delirium at the prospect of signing him.

Thank goodness for the transfer window!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw that Neto was trending on Twitter - seems to be mostly coming from Arsenal fans who are almost in a state of delirium at the prospect of signing him.

Apparently the Dippers are also sniffing around Pedro.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think there's a way to go for him, as much as I love him. He's great for us, as a counter attacking side.

Be interesting to see if he can take that next step by adding more goals to his game, aswell as breaking down defences in a low block. I don't doubt he has the ability to do so, just be interesting to see if he can put it together.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Unless we are totally crazy and under value him I doubt if Arsenal would pay the money we should be asking.

Back
Top Bottom