Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Our Starting 11...

Milijas

Reaction score
Sa
Johnny kilman boly RAN
Neves
Podence. MGW. Neto
Cutrone* Jiminez

Looks very attacking but neves could slot in to the coady roll without the ball .
Cutrone* to be replaced but would rather him than hwang.
4-1-3-2 would be mad..

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Johnny kilman boly RAN
Neves
Podence. MGW. Neto
Cutrone* Jiminez

Looks very attacking but neves could slot in to the coady roll without the ball .
Cutrone* to be replaced but would rather him than hwang.
4-1-3-2 would be mad..
You'd get ripped apart playing that. In terms of the defence, Boly isn't as mobile as he once was and I'm not even sure that Kilman will be all that great in terms of playing in a 4.

You've also got 5 attacking players out of 10 outfield there, no balance.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands we're in no position to go to 4 at the back.

Kilman Coady Boly
Semedo Johnny Neves Aït-Nouri
Gibbs-White
Raul Neto​

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
so we went four at the back at burnley,

struggling to see how coady can do a 4, and dont think he can play a dm either.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a starting 11 who are all fully fit we currently have an ok team, that if we play to our to upmost ability is a top 10 starting 11. The problem is the squad, the weakness in midfield and the impact of 5 subs. Teams will know we have no depth in midfield, if I was the opposition I would get to the hour mark and bring on a new, fresh midfield with 2 or 3 substitutions. Whilst there might be a drop off in quality the new pace and mobility would in most likelihood counteract that and we have no way of responding. The difference between the ability of first 11 midfield and the subs is perhaps the biggest in the league and with 5 subs that will be shown up unless we get two more midfielders in.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Could argue that Starting 11 is stronger than team that qualified for Europe/SF FA

Sa for Patricio
Semedo for Doc
Killman for Saiss/Bennett
Neto for Jota

Still missing an attacking MF & ano striker. Accept that Jota/Doc goals a big miss but Neto will come back strong this year & hopefully Raul gets his mojo back

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Be happy be see whoever, start the season like the 1st 3 games of last season, but just add at least a goal a game, and 3 clean sheets.

1st few games, we looked best team in the league, apart from the results.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could argue that Starting 11 is stronger than team that qualified for Europe/SF FA

Sa for Patricio
Semedo for Doc
Killman for Saiss/Bennett
Neto for Jota

Still missing an attacking MF & ano striker. Accept that Jota/Doc goals a big miss but Neto will come back strong this year & hopefully Raul gets his mojo back

On paper but we got into Europe and so far because the system worked so well together. Right now we're not quite working like that

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Jonny collins kilman ran
Neves moutinho
Podence Mgw Neto
Raul

Boly, coady back up CBs
New CM for moutinho who will play off bench, with dendoncker
Bueno and Semedo FBs
Traore and hwang cover on wings, maybe osario
New striker to support raul

Looking good if we don’t lose anyone and sign a CM and CB

I

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa
Jonny collins kilman ran
Neves almeida
Neto mgw podence
Raul

Traore
Sarkic
Semedo
Toti
Moutinho
Coady
Seferovic
Hwang
Cundle
Bueno
Ronin
Campbell

Chiquinho injured
Dendonker sold
Boly sold
Mosquera loan

We could possible do with another versatile winger/forward on loan to cover chiquinho.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As it stands, mine would be:

Sa

Semedo Collins Kilman Ait Nouri

Neves Moutinho

Traore Podence Neto

Jimenez

Solid spine with an abundance of creativity and pace on the wings. Podence supporting Raul as not to leave him isolated. There's no way in the world that side wouldn't be not only fun to watch, but productive as an attacking force against at least 2/3s of the league.

Reactions: Ian
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

SA

Semedo
Kilman
Collins
RAN

Neves
A.N Other
MGW

Neto
Jimenez
Podence

New ST on the bench. Would do me nicely

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barring Sa, Kilman and Collins we really are a small team.
I would like to see a big, mobile ******* in midfieled
Moutinho, Neto, Podence, MGW in the same team.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Barring Sa, Kilman and Collins we really are a small team.
I would like to see a big, mobile ******* in midfieled
Moutinho, Neto, Podence, MGW in the same team.
Neto is very strong for a wide player, MGW has filled out as well if the plays out there. We lack athleticism though I think. Especially when Jonny, Joao, Neves, Coady all starting. Very, very slow.

MontyR

Reaction score
1657974200185.png

That's a squad that'll get Europe next year. Make it happen Jeff. Pay Nunes 70k a week and give him a release clause for all I care. Add in the fact we'd have 5 subs and the likes of Traore, Jonny, Hwang on the bench and we'd finally be ****ing exciting to watch in most of our games, rather than a select few at the moment.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 28923

That's a squad that'll get Europe next year. Make it happen Jeff. Pay Nunes 70k a week and give him a release clause for all I care. Add in the fact we'd have 5 subs and the likes of Traore, Jonny, Hwang on the bench and we'd finally be ****ing exciting to watch in most of our games, rather than a select few at the moment.
Only issue with that is we aren’t signing Nunes.

I do agree though we need another midfielder and definitely another striker.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Jonny Collins Kilman RAN
Neves Donck
MGW Podence Neto
Raul

Subs - Sarkic, Beuno, Moutinho, Coady, Mosquera, Cundle, Hwang, Campbell, Boly

Until Semedo comes back.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 28923

Many ambitious players would rather take £40,000 a week at a club in Europe than £70,000 a week for orange chips FC. Nunes seems to know he can dine in a finer establishment if he waits for the right move. So never as simple as “pay him what he wants.”

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many ambitious players would rather take £40,000 a week at a club in Europe than £70,000 a week for orange chips FC. Nunes seems to know he can dine in a finer establishment if he waits for the right move. So never as simple as “pay him what he wants.”
True enough. Another factor, which rather too many Brits don't understand or indeed like, is that living in UK, particularly post-Brexit UK, isn't necessarily that attractive to Europeans.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I think we'll like up as:

Sa
Collins-Coady-Kilman
Johnny-Neves-Mout-RAN
MGW-Neto
Raul

Subs: Donk, Boly, Hwang, Podence, Cundle
That's what i think it would be at the moment, but possibly more 352 with front 2 of Neto and Raul and MGW in the old Donk role, pushing up if needed

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Kilman coady Collins
Jonny Neves Gibbs-White Ait-Nouri
Traore Raul Neto

Right now. I await signings.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can put out any starting 11 , but I can’t see goals without wishful thinking or a new striker .

Yes, though on the bright side, Collins looks like he will really strengthen us defensively. Without that new striker, we could be an even better points grinding machine than last season. It will be like the Italian league in the 1980s when 2 goals in a match was a goal-fest. In 1980, Torino finished 3rd, scoring 26 goals in 30 matches which included eight 0-0 draws. I reckon we can match that!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, though on the bright side, Collins looks like he will really strengthen us defensively. Without that new striker, we could be an even better points grinding machine than last season. It will be like the Italian league in the 1980s when 2 goals in a match was a goal-fest. In 1980, Torino finished 3rd, scoring 26 goals in 30 matches which included eight 0-0 draws. I reckon we can match that!
I think the addition of Collins will make a significant difference on our risk of bombing out of this league.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The side we started with at Anfield 2 months ago bar Collins for Gomis. Be surprised if it's anything much different to that at Elland Road.

Wolfyyy

Reaction score
I am surprised quite a number of suggested starting 11 are 4 at the back. Honestly, I don't see how we will make a complete switch so soon. This is going to be a transitional phase lasting between a year to three. Lage has hinted before that a number of players in the squad are still difficult to change in tactical mentality and that some players still find it difficult to move away from the Nuno-esque safety-first counter-attacking style of football. Even if we have a decent back four, the front line players who are still struggling to adapt to Lage-ball would nullify all benefits - just look at how obsessed most of the players were at playing back passes last season! While the Collins-Kilman pairing looks promising, I still think they will struggle against top sides. They will need someone from midfield to drop back and assist from time to time and neither Neves or Moutinho are mobile enough to consistently do that for 90 mins.

If anything, I suspect we will be quite fluid with our starting formation, swinging back and forth between 3 5 2, 3 4 3 and 4 2 3 1 depending on the opponents we're facing, with us sticking to our old style against top and aggressive sides while we use the transitional 4 2 3 1 on the more winnable games. As such, our starting 11 will be tinkered quite a bit depending on the formation for the day.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am surprised quite a number of suggested starting 11 are 4 at the back. Honestly, I don't see how we will make a complete switch so soon. This is going to be a transitional phase lasting between a year to three. Lage has hinted before that a number of players in the squad are still difficult to change in tactical mentality and that some players still find it difficult to move away from the Nuno-esque safety-first counter-attacking style of football. Even if we have a decent back four, the front line players who are still struggling to adapt to Lage-ball would nullify all benefits - just look at how obsessed most of the players were at playing back passes last season! While the Collins-Kilman pairing looks promising, I still think they will struggle against top sides. They will need someone from midfield to drop back and assist from time to time and neither Neves or Moutinho are mobile enough to consistently do that for 90 mins.

If anything, I suspect we will be quite fluid with our starting formation, swinging back and forth between 3 5 2, 3 4 3 and 4 2 3 1 depending on the opponents we're facing, with us sticking to our old style against top and aggressive sides while we use the transitional 4 2 3 1 on the more winnable games. As such, our starting 11 will be tinkered quite a bit depending on the formation for the day.

Yeah, I'd agree. It's a gradual process. Collins and Kilman are probably earmarked as a partnership for the future in a back 4, but they will play with Coady between them for a while yet. I think you're right about the formation and personnel being fluid this season, maybe even within games.

The Man City game at home last seasons also saw us start 3-4-3 with Chiquinho at right wing-back and Jonny at right centre back.

It was a disaster, mainly because it was against Man City, our players were tired and jaded and De Bruyne was so good.

In that game, we were switching between almost a 5-4-1 and a 4-3-3 based on being in and out of possession.

If Traore stays, I can see him being used in a similar way to how Chiquinho was used that day. Collins can play centre back and right back too, so would be able to switch quite comfortably from the right centre-back position.

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
The guys from express and star have said that all the training sessions have been with us playing 4 at the back. Think the friendlies will be a good indicator if thats how we're going to go for the start of season. With the players we have i think a 4231 is better suited than a 433 so im hoping for something like:
Sa
Semedo. Collins. Kilman. Ait Nouri
Neves. Moutinho
MGW Pod Neto
Raul

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The guys from express and star have said that all the training sessions have been with us playing 4 at the back. Think the friendlies will be a good indicator if thats how we're going to go for the start of season. With the players we have i think a 4231 is better suited than a 433 so im hoping for something like:
Sa
Neves. Moutinho
MGW Pod Neto
Raul
Where does all this leave Coady I wonder ? (If true).

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Neves. Moutinho
MGW Pod Neto
Raul
That's exactly what I'd go with. Team sort of picks itself if we are going 4atb.

Depth in the attacking positions is worrisome but we all knew that!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Loads of people putting Collins in ahead of Coady in a back 4.

Collins is a good signing and has real potential, but he is still only 21 and struggled to displace Tarkowski and Mee last season at Burnley, which is why he played a lot at right back.

Coady is our captain and has been an ever-present during our time in the Premier League. Even if we play a back 4, he's highly likely to be in the starting XI.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loads of people putting Collins in ahead of Coady in a back 4.

Collins is a good signing and has real potential, but he is still only 21 and struggled to displace Tarkowski and Mee last season at Burnley, which is why he played a lot at right back.

Coady is our captain and has been an ever-present during our time in the Premier League. Even if we play a back 4, he's highly likely to be in the starting XI.

Collins didn't play RB at Burnley, he did a bit at Stoke when he was breaking through. Dyche is a pretty conservative manager that wouldn't want to change teams unless necessery due to injuries etc.

But yeah I think we'll still more often that not play a back 5 I think we just want to prepare the back 4 as an option/eventual transition.

StourWolves

Groupie
Reaction score
I do think we'll be flexible with formations. The team is well suited to 5 at the back now, probably why the focus is playing with a 4 to try and bring us being comfortable in that as well. May well start off Coady/Kilman and Collins has to work his way into the team

Back
Top Bottom