Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

OT: Rodgers vs Lambert

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Who has done the better job? I'll go for Lambert...

D

Deleted member 3751

Lambert has done the better job, better manager is open to debate. Could both be unemployed around xmas.

S

SimplyTheWolves

Achievement wise Lambert, playing wise Rodgers.

W

WasStefan

Rodgers in the long run will be by far the better manager

D

Deleted member LP 3925

One has the Liverpool job, one has Vile.

ergo, Rodgers.

D

Dewsburywolf

Lambert for me, he took over at Norwich after their relegation put them on a major downer & then compounded it by having his then team Cochester thrashing them 6 (I think) 1. The powers that be at Norwich then poached him from whence he then got them promoted in successive seasons & then achieving mid-table safety in the Premier League. Rodgers just inherited a football phylosophy installed by Martinez at Swansea & only needed to fine tune it slightly - indifferent at Watford & Reading IMHO

A

Anglian Wolf

Lambert will deliver more in the short term but I suspect once he reaches a certain level he would struggle to take it further.

Rodgers is more in the mould of a modern coach whose approach is more of a 'project' that if allowed enough time should deliver a higher level in the medium to longer term.

I just wonder whether Rodgers will be given the time he needs at a club that seems want everything in an instant.

D

Dewsburywolf

Lambert will deliver more in the short term but I suspect once he reaches a certain level he would struggle to take it further.

Rodgers is more in the mould of a modern coach whose approach is more of a 'project' that if allowed enough time should deliver a higher level in the medium to longer term.

Except the "project" at Swansea wasn't started by Rodgers

I just wonder whether Rodgers will be given the time he needs at a club that seems want everything in an instant.

Lambert for me, sorry

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert has achieved more as Norwich were in League One, however I'd imagine Norwich have a bigger budget than Swansea.

In the long run, Rodgers will be the better manager. No doubt about it.

K

kidderminster wolf

What odds can I get on them both being sacked before the end of their contracts

K

kidderminster wolf

Also I thought Brendan did the better job. Both will be flops. Villa should have gone for AVB and Liverpool could of got Ray Wilkins. What Norwich need now is Mick McCarthy.

306NOTOUT

I hope Lambert falls flat on his face. He is an arrogant $$$$$$.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Lambert falls flat on his face. He is an arrogant $$$$$$.
I dont like posts like this and so I have thought very carefully and weighed everything up and have come to the conclusion I agree with you.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What ever did Lambert say or do to Wolves fans to deserve some of the comments on here? It seems to me that Lambert has achieved more in his time at Norwich. It was an enormous achievement for Swansea to be promoted under Rodgers and also to stay up. Yes he is a great exponent of a particular philosophy. I hope he can bring that philosophy to fruition at Liverpool but really the challenge is only beginning. I would anticipate the Villa revival to begin under Lambert. It remains to be seen if they can make the top 4 under him. I think that is a step too far from him.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Rodgers definitely.

What Lambert did at Norwich can't be underestimated though. They played ugly, ugly football, but to finish where they did after successive promotions with a squad that cost a couple of million quid is quite something.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
To answer the OP, I'd have to say that Lambert has done the better job in terms of achievements. Took a club that was in freefall and got them two promotions on the bounce before surviving comfortably in the Premier League. Rodgers's achievements are also hugely impressive but he took over a club who were already on an upward trajectory.

Having said that, I personally think that Rodgers is going to be a big success at Liverpool. Unless Lerner loosens the purse strings, I think Lambert has a very difficult job ahead of him at Villa.

J

johnybig32

WHo has Lambert been sacked from?

WHo has Rodgers been sacked from?

Another way of looking at it.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is the question that will not be answered that would have been the intriguing one for me. How would both of them faired next season with their respective clubs?

B

Bankswolf II

It is the question that will not be answered that would have been the intriguing one for me. How would both of them faired next season with their respective clubs?

This

Sick of the backdoor love these two get, if we look at teams in the prem you will see the likes of Hull, Reading and so on have one good season and then get relegated show even Blackpool nearly managed it before they got sucked in on the final game of the season

I am sure that if both managers got the opportunity to perform again they would struggle to even come close to their achievements I dont expect either of them to set the world on fire the way the way Villa and Liverpool imagine they will

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it could be argued that Rodgers had one exceptional season (Premier League) and one good season that ended as great (promoted via play-offs season before). But that's all he's done so far.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing for me that 2 such inexperienced managers get jobs at 2 of the biggest, most traditional and historic clubs in the country. It's good to see imo but a massive gamble by both clubs but it signals the end of the old dinosaurs like Bruce at this level, which is no bad thing. Had we stayed up I'd have loved either at Wolves and I do believe, us being a smaller club than Liverpool or Villa they could both have done better with us than perhaps they will do in their new jobs. Who is better - not sure but both have their work cut out to succeed. Also, Norwich and Swansea to go down?

E

Edgmond Wolf

Amazing for me that 2 such inexperienced managers get jobs at 2 of the biggest, most traditional and historic clubs in the country. It's good to see imo but a massive gamble by both clubs but it signals the end of the old dinosaurs like Bruce at this level, which is no bad thing. Had we stayed up I'd have loved either at Wolves and I do believe, us being a smaller club than Liverpool or Villa they could both have done better with us than perhaps they will do in their new jobs. Who is better - not sure but both have their work cut out to succeed. Also, Norwich and Swansea to go down?

Let's hope you feel the same about Stale

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was in the minority of posters who thought both Norwich and Swansea would do well. I think if both of them are given a couple of seasons and a reasonable budget they'll both do well.

Both have got teams with limited resources playing very good football. I suspect Lambert will take Villa to upper mid-table, Rodgers will get the red scouters to 6 or 7th.

I suspect Norwich will fall further than Swanea but probably would have done if both had kept their managers as I think they over-achieved more. Both L and R will be managing in the PL for many years to come

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert has done the better job and would prefer him to Rodgers if it was a choice between the two to manage Wolves.

welshy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both done remarkable jobs, would rather have Rodgers as manager though.

H

Hampshire Wanderer

Both good managers but Rodgers just steals it for me.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Lambert would do better at a club like Wolves than Rodgers would. Both will do well, but I don't think the scousers will have the patience with Rodgers if they don't win something next season. Lambert will have the support of Villa even if they finish 16th next season.

We shall see, but I would bet Lambert will last longer in his job than Rodgers.

SBDJ

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lambert has done the better job and would prefer him to Rodgers if it was a choice between the two to manage Wolves.

This for me

Lambert has achieved more and started from scratch with Norwich while Rodgers took over with Swansea already on the up and a philosophy of how to play already in place

I think Lambert has the better chance of still being in the same job come the end of the season as expectations at Villa are lower than at Liverpool. If Lambert gets Villa to around 10th or 11th he will have been considered to have done reasonably well while for Liverpool Rodgers will have to be pushing for top four

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lambert all day for me over Rodgers.

Think Rodgers will struggle to implement that style of play at Liverpool whilst trying to make it a successful formula at the same time.
Lambert plays decent football, ideal for the fast paced English football. He will get Villa over-achieving again like he did at Norwich.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both arent as good as they are being made out to be by media and fans etc. can see both of them getting sacked over the next 12-18 months

S

SimplyTheWolves

Both arent as good as they are being made out to be by media and fans etc. can see both of them getting sacked over the next 12-18 months

You have a point there Ashley. None of them have proven they can go beyond what they have achieved so far, yes they’ve done well and potentially can get better, and obviously both now have the chance to do so. But can you really see Rodgers getting Liverpool in a top two finish in two or three years time?

He may do if he gets some money to buy the way there but I think that’s part of the reason Liverpool have appointed him in the first place, to cut down spending. They may have realised after K D’s transfer spending that appointing a big name needs big money and Rodgers has achieved relative success on a small budget compared to previous Liverpool managers. They may think with a lot less cash Rodgers can find a gem or two and build a team like he did at Swansea (although that's not entirely down to him), but the problem is are the Liverpool fans patient enough to give anyone the time needed to build a team from relatively unknown or unproven players?

Villa may have the same idea when it comes to Lambert, although a major factor was to just replace Mr Unpopular asap. They did say they were looking for a manager with vibrancy, well just what is it that’s vibrant and refreshing about Lambert and his style of football? If either of these two achieve the same level of success comparatively speaking at their new clubs as they did at their last ones I will be very surprised. I have to say though that I just don't see it happening and really can't see either of them surviving more than two seasons at the very most.

J

johnybig32

Like, Lpool have just sold Kuyt so he must have a plan.

Joe Cole and Aquilani could still have a future.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like most could see them both being relegated this time last year

What they've achieved so far doesnt even match up to McCarthy though and hes now deemed as a failure but these 2 get lauded as the next big things!

D

Dewsburywolf

What they've achieved so far doesnt even match up to McCarthy though and hes now deemed as a failure but these 2 get lauded as the next big things!

Lambert took Norwich from a thrashing at the hands of his then team (Colchester) to successive promotions & a midtable Premier League finish in their first season there, on a relatively shoestring budget. Beats McCarthy's achievement for me

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Taking Ireland as far as he did in the world cup somewhat puts lamberts achievements in the shade really! And obviously keeping us up when the players were $$$$ was quite good too :)

Back
Top Bottom