Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some great memories here! Only thing, in the second photo, Cullis is not talking to Ron Flowers, I think it's Jimmy Mullen.
And also the photo of Mark Lazarus signing, that's not Alec Stock. Have no idea who it is though! And also, can I ask that those of you who are good enough to take the time to put photos on here, please, please, please put a narrative with the pictures. Thanks.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
thanks for your impute northnorfolkwolf. good to put a name to a picture,
Chignal, I have asked you before for some/more narrative with your impressive photos. I'm surprised at you for not spotting this rather imposing, upper class twit masquerading as someone who would have any interest in the working class and their pastimes!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And also the photo of Mark Lazarus signing, that's not Alec Stock. Have no idea who it is though! And also, can I ask that those of you who are good enough to take the time to put photos on here, please, please, please put a narrative with the pictures. Thanks.
Alec Stock was definitely QPR manager in 1961 when we signed Lazarus. Who is it then? Lazarus was never much good for us by the way.

Hedge End Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I have seen this one before. I think it's an FA Cup match from 1938-39, when we ended up losing in the final to Portsmouth
Close! Supporters at Molineux for the Fourth Round FA Cup tie between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Arsenal, 22nd January 1938. Arsenal won the match 2-1.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolverhampton Wanderers team and directors, Molineux Grounds, 1922-23 season.
View attachment 41580
Love how you can see the Molineux Hotel and St Peters Church in this photo.

I also think this was 1920/21 season, as the home shirt had two versions…. One version had an old gold stripe centrally, another shirt had a black stripe centrally. You can see both versions in this photo.

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alec Stock was definitely QPR manager in 1961 when we signed Lazarus. Who is it then? Lazarus was never much good for us by the way.

Lazarus made one hell of comeback after going to the Holy Land

Well it is a thread all about old things so the chance to tell an ancient joke was too good to miss :D:D:D

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As was the norm in those days the club secretary would usually be present at a player signing so it may well be JT Howley.

This is Alec Stock and he looks nothing like the bloke in the photo.

PRI_162129881-e1598381548406.jpg

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Wolverhampton Wanderers team and directors, Molineux Grounds, 1922-23 season.
View attachment 41580

I love how up to a certain point in history ( was it the late fifties ? ) that the goalies of most sides wore those jumpers that look to be the same as the type worn by submariners and sailors on the Arctic convoys !

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love how you can see the Molineux Hotel and St Peters Church in this photo.

I also think this was 1920/21 season, as the home shirt had two versions…. One version had an old gold stripe centrally, another shirt had a black stripe centrally. You can see both versions in this photo.

I love that bit of trivia. Imagine the fights at the club shop as Neto wears the central black strip on day one of the season.

Then 2 weeks later wears the gold striped one.

(But no neo Nazi style number 44 allowed)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As was the norm in those days the club secretary would usually be present at a player signing so it may well be JT Howley.

This is Alec Stock and he looks nothing like the bloke in the photo.

PRI_162129881-e1598381548406.jpg
The bloke standing behind Lazarus is never Jack Howley. Jack always wore glasses with a big black frame and was blind as a bat without them.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Chignal, I have asked you before for some/more narrative with your impressive photos. I'm surprised at you for not spotting this rather imposing, upper class twit masquerading as someone who would have any interest in the working class and their pastimes!
OK NorthNorfolkwolf. I have a cunning plan, I'll put the pictures up and you edit them, the pay's not very good but you see life, good luck with that, :cool:

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how up to a certain point in history ( was it the late fifties ? ) that the goalies of most sides wore those jumpers that look to be the same as the type worn by submariners and sailors on the Arctic convoys !
Me too. I look at these incredible photos of yesteryear and I wonder if the goalies ever thought “crikey these shirts are heavy, i wish someone would invent a lighter material version.’. Or the players think “crikey, these shin pads and boots are so clunky, surely someone could invent simplified and lighter versions.’

Or ‘I feel naked posing for this photo without porcelain veneer teeth, immaculate hair, and tattoos up my arms and neck…’

I suppose what they didnt have, they never missed. A bit like us old timers who grew up easily without the internet. :)

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Match of the Seventies​

......................................................................................
Highlights of a First Division match between Wolves and Manchester United on 16th September 1972.The 1972-73 season showcased the abilities of the Wolves team with a 5th placed finish in the league and semi-final appearances in both the FA and League Cups. The season was also a personal success for Wolves striker John Richards. His 36 League and Cup goals were suitably rewarded with the Young Player of the Year award for 1973 and also a cap for England at the end of the season. Richards had formed a highly successful partnership with Derek Dougan and 'The Doog' contributed 17 league and cup goals for the season
......................................................................................

1970/71] Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Everton, Boxing Day 1970​

...................................................................................

Wolves v Southampton, 9th October 1971​

.......................................................................................

Wolves v Ferencvaros, UEFA Cup Semi-final 2nd Leg, 19th April 1972​

..............................................................................................

Last edited:

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love how up to a certain point in history ( was it the late fifties ? ) that the goalies of most sides wore those jumpers that look to be the same as the type worn by submariners and sailors on the Arctic convoys

The jumpers were needed to hide the body armour, necessary protection for ribs. Those old balls were heavy... ;)

Back
Top Bottom