Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Gerry Francis was the Bristol manager at the time. Kenny was, as Spitfire points out the Gas Heads player / coach.
Was in the family enclosure that day (bottom tier John Ireland) so got a cracking view of the fantastic reception Kenny got from the South Bank. That and really showing off because we'd lost a game (only league defeat at home all season) are the 2 memories I have of that game.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know what period you are talking about, but that is not my memory. Up until about 1964, there were no 'ends' -- people stood where there liked and chanting was in its infancy. The first time I remember a chant as we know them now was at the Spurs home game, February 1962, and that was from the South Bank - "Wanderers, Wanderers". I was amazed when I heard it. I started going in the late 50s and that was the first time I ever heard that. 'Chanting' really got going in 64-65, the year we went down, and that was the beginning of the North Bank Choir (NBC). The North Bank became the 'home end' -- but that did not mean that the South Bank was the 'away end' as many thousands of Wolves fans continued going in the South Bank, me included, for years after. The South Bank was mixed, and eventually that led to it having to be physically segregated, which never happened in the North Bank because it didn't need to be, as hardly any away fans ever went in there. That's how things continued until they closed two sides of the ground in the 1980s, one of which was the North Bank. The South Bank only became the 'home end' when the ground started ro be redeveloped after 1990
I started much later (1970). It wasnt long after that the south bank was segregated and missiles were thrown to/from away fans. They stood on the molineux street side. I went in the NB and viewed the southbank as away for that reason. It was violent. Eventually my friends and i migrated to the SB because we liked the extra needle with away fans and it gradually became the stand it is today. It was 100% away v liverpool for example in 1976

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was in the family enclosure that day (bottom tier John Ireland) so got a cracking view of the fantastic reception Kenny got from the South Bank. That and really showing off because we'd lost a game (only league defeat at home all season) are the 2 memories I have of that game.
One of the most emotional moments of my Wolves supporting life that. Didn't the same happen when Tim Flowers retired and came on as a late sub for Leicester against in (in 2003 I think?)

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I started much later (1970). It wasnt long after that the south bank was segregated and missiles were thrown to/from away fans. They stood on the molineux street side. I went in the NB and viewed the southbank as away for that reason. It was violent. Eventually my friends and i migrated to the SB because we liked the extra needle with away fans and it gradually became the stand it is today. It was 100% away v liverpool for example in 1976
NBC started during 1964/65 during relegation when the favourite song was We`ll support you evermore(Bread of Heaven)
Away fans who came onto the NB every time were Man.u,Chelsea and Spurs with rare visits from Stoke and Man.C
best banter was v Man.C.
sha la la la Sumerbee
who the ****ing hell is he
the greatest centre forward in history
just like lady Chatterley
united one and city three
flush him down the lavatory
this went on for ages but can`t remember any more

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. on occasion, the South Bank did look like the 'away end' in the 70s because at certain games there was such a large away following standing there, the Liverpool game in 1976 being, as you say, as case in point. Same with the Leeds game in 1972, when Leeds fans virtually took over the S Bank. But the S Bank was never designated the away end as such, not until it was segregated so that away fans stood in one section (Molineux St side) and Wolves fans and in the other. That happened, IIRC, in the mid 80s, after two sides of the ground were closed (N Bank and Waterloo Road) as 'unsafe' following the Bradford fire in 1985 because there was a large amount of wood in the North Bank (top terrace flooring was wood) and in the all-wood seating of the Waterloo Road stand.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. on occasion, the South Bank did look like the 'away end' in the 70s because at certain games there was such a large away following standing there, the Liverpool game in 1976 being, as you say, as case in point. Same with the Leeds game in 1972, when Leeds fans virtually took over the S Bank. But the S Bank was never designated the away end as such, not until it was segregated so that away fans stood in one section (Molineux St side) and Wolves fans and in the other. That happened, IIRC, in the mid 80s, after two sides of the ground were closed (N Bank and Waterloo Road) as 'unsafe' following the Bradford fire in 1985 because there was a large amount of wood in the North Bank (top terrace flooring was wood) and in the all-wood seating of the Waterloo Road stand.
The segregation was much earlier in the 70s in the sixties it was not segregated my first match 67 with mom and dad but can’t remember when the segregation first started, but I guess mid 70s

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite often the S.B was designated the away end by the visiting club as telling their fans where to congregate
In big cup games Wolves gave 10,000 standing tickets in the SB and 2,000 seats in the Molineux St.
to the away club

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember being in The South Bank when we played Leeds in the FA Cup in 1977 when the crowd was segregated roughly down the middle. Just checked the attendance, and it was 49,770 and it was packed! If you fell over when the crowd surged forward as it did in those days, it could be pretty dangerous.
We lost 0-1 and I remember Gordon McQueen had an absolute blinder that day.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite often the S.B was designated the away end by the visiting club as telling their fans where to congregate
In big cup games Wolves gave 10,000 standing tickets in the SB and 2,000 seats in the Molineux St.
to the away club

doogisgod

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember being in The South Bank when we played Leeds in the FA Cup in 1977 when the crowd was segregated roughly down the middle. Just checked the attendance, and it was 49,770 and it was packed! If you fell over when the crowd surged forward as it did in those days, it could be pretty dangerous.
We lost 0-1 and I remember Gordon McQueen had an absolute blinder that day.
I was also at that game and the Wolves lads kicked the **** out of Leeds that day. Don't ask why but I blagged my way onto a Leeds supporters' coach and before the match they were all full of themselves and how they were going to "do" us but that had changed for the drive back when they were all talking about never daring to come back to the Mol and what bar-stewards the Wolves lads were. It was a bloody good day out!

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
The fence segregating the fans was put in the South Bank in the 77-78 season, a few years later another fence was erected creating a “ no man’s land “ between the home and away supporters In the middle of the south bank.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
A good aerial of photo of Molineux, showing the vast distance between the “ New Stand” and the Waterloo stand. Thank God Jack Hayward sorted it out,( and then Morgan messed it up again)

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just like to say this whole thread is absolutely brilliant and brings back so many fond memories .
A BIG thank you to all those who have contributed, you'd be surprised how it helps us the more senior members memories ticking over.

Last edited:

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
For those too young to remember, I have drawn the layout of the old stand, and the boundary lines of the original Molineux St,Dawson St and Vincent St that we’re all removed in the redevelopment in 1978-79.. The west quadrant of the South bank that was removed, is also shown. The road now called Molineux St,that sits behind the Steve Bull stand,was then called North St.IMG_1885.jpeg

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those too young to remember, I have drawn the layout of the old stand, and the boundary lines of the original Molineux St,Dawson St and Vincent St that we’re all removed in the redevelopment in 1978-79.. The west quadrant of the South bank that was removed, is also shown. The road now called Molineux St,that sits behind the Steve Bull stand,was then called North St.View attachment 35764
1689714307423.jpeg

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For those too young to remember, I have drawn the layout of the old stand, and the boundary lines of the original Molineux St,Dawson St and Vincent St that we’re all removed in the redevelopment in 1978-79.. The west quadrant of the South bank that was removed, is also shown. The road now called Molineux St,that sits behind the Steve Bull stand,was then called North St.View attachment 35764
Silly Question but why did they build the Steve Bull / John Ireland stand so dar away from the pitch?

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silly Question but why did they build the Steve Bull / John Ireland stand so dar away from the pitch?
The intention was to move the whole ground over and create more room on the Waterloo Road side but the interest payments on the new stand rocketed and ended up putting us into administration in 1982 and so it was never completed until SJH took over. There’s a photo earlier in the thread of the proposed finished developmeant.

Edit - see post 847.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Another question lol but what’s the big building top right corner, trying to picture the ground now I think that’s where the Waterloo road car parks are?

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another question lol but what’s the big building top right corner, trying to picture the ground now I think that’s where the Waterloo road car parks are?

I might be mistaken but I think that’s Peel House. Used to be offices. I know Carrilion them for a while.
The one in the very top right is the Carrillion building. The one lower down closer to the ground is the old sports and social club.

R

reanswolf

They felt they couldn’t knock down old stand and build new stand within a preseason, so thought it was clever to do both more or less consecutively, and as others have said gradually move the ground over a bit.

That ruined the Molineux hemmed in atmosphere, SJH continued with the gap theme.

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
Whilst it hamstrung the club nearly killing us and left us with a joke of a ground for a good few years, I do think that moving the stand over ultimately saved our location.

There's no way we could afford to buy up roads and houses to expand the ground later on, we'd have just moved out of town

It was a massive commitment to the location, just badly timed and sadly took way too long to realise the original ambition

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’ve got the old Molineux Social Club and just beyond that in the very, very far top right corner is Roadstone House (Tarmac building).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that the player next to Robbie D is David 'Digger' Barnes.

Back
Top Bottom