Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
When I worked in Bath Avenue in the early 80s would go over on a Friday Lunchtime for egg and chips and a beer. Sometimes a few players would come in after training - particularly John Burridge - Budgie was bonkers but bonded with fans. Think there was a gym on the top floor?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I worked in Bath Avenue in the early 80s would go over on a Friday Lunchtime for egg and chips and a beer. Sometimes a few players would come in after training - particularly John Burridge - Budgie was bonkers but bonded with fans. Think there was a gym on the top floor?
There was.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I spotted this article on the BBC Website. The article itself is an enjoyable bit of nostalgia but if you scroll down you'll eventually see a couple of shots of Molineux including the old south bank

EDIT: for reference, from the mid 80's until its destruction, I used to stand in the South Bank with my Grandad just under the roof, in front of the barrier by the post on the right in the photo... just in line with the left wing as you looked towards the North Bank... gave a good view of Robbie Dennison weaving his way past full backs!

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you work at the DHSS?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course only the 1st phase was ever built- the Steve Bull Stand, aka the John Ireland, aka the New Stand. The Steve Bull is in the background.View attachment 34696
I've always that ground would've been a bit ****. But was the plan for the ends to have boxes and a top tier overhanging the lower, like Coventry's West End? If it was, then it could've been very good atmosphere-wise with the rounded corners too. Imagine we had that and the old pubs behind the John Ireland and the South Bank... decent!

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I spotted this article on the BBC Website. The article itself is an enjoyable bit of nostalgia but if you scroll down you'll eventually see a couple of shots of Molineux including the old south bank

EDIT: for reference, from the mid 80's until its destruction, I used to stand in the South Bank with my Grandad just under the roof, in front of the barrier by the post on the right in the photo... just in line with the left wing as you looked towards the North Bank... gave a good view of Robbie Dennison weaving his way past full backs!
Love this thread. But why do the cars look so old from something I remember like it was yesterday in this picture?

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've always that ground would've been a bit ****. But was the plan for the ends to have boxes and a top tier overhanging the lower, like Coventry's West End? If it was, then it could've been very good atmosphere-wise with the rounded corners too. Imagine we had that and the old pubs behind the John Ireland and the South Bank... decent!
No overhang or boxes planned at the ends as I remember it. Just terracing in front of the seats, a bit similar to the old away end at Stoke’s Victoria ground if you remember that, or how the opposite end to the Stretford end at Old Trafford used to be.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No overhang or boxes planned at the ends as I remember it. Just terracing in front of the seats, a bit similar to the old away end at Stoke’s Victoria ground if you remember that, or how the opposite end to the Stretford end at Old Trafford used to be.
Yep that was called the scoreboard end

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Loved that stand at Stoke. Never remember us winning there but was always a good atmosphere

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah, not great then. I loved that end at Stoke though, even after the Taylor report you had that and the Boothen at the other. To go from that to their lego ground in a car park.

Sorry, I've told this (non-)story on here before, but mid-90s when I was a babbie, me and me brother went to Stoke on the train and stood in that end. But being the weird little neurotic I was, before the game I convinced myself I'd lost my gold chain. So I asked the steward to let me out to use a payphone in the street and he led me straight through the paddock, through the players tunnel and out into a mini riot. On the way back in, the same nice steward had waited for me and we walked together through the players tunnel, with the players queuing on either side, through some Stokees, up the pitch and into the away terrace. (I'd left me chain at home.) While I'm thinking, on another, non-football, occasion, I convinced myself I'd done the same on a crappy boat party do in Worcester. I left the coach back, couldn't find it, missed the coach and ended up wandering the Worcestershire countryside until dawn. (I'd left it at home.) 'Happy days'.

I'd like to say I'm a reformed character but I missed one of my trains back from Brentford and spent a dismal night in Derby Station this season :(

Last edited:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still find it mad that up until recently away fans used to be in the south bank.
When I was a regular, (60's - 70's) the Wolves fans centered on the North Bank. I, with my mates were usually on the south bank, mixed in with a few opposing fans.
Occasionally word was out about trouble on the way, e.g. the promotion year against Chelsea when the gates were opened early.

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
I was at that game - home and away in those days but to think over 15k at Molineux 34 years ago for what would be a league 1 game now is great support when crowd numbers were not as big as they are now. We only get just over double that in the premier league- doesn't it make the case Molineux needs too be bigger

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I seem to remember this was expected to be quite a tough game, the 1-0 scoreline would suggest it was,as we were regularly thrashing teams 4 or 5-0 around that period,with Bully running amok most weeks.
Chesterfield actually got relegated that season. I remember another tight game at home to Bolton we won 1-0, Bully with his left foot, but as you say we usually hammered teams that year. As a ten year old I remember being absolutely stunned when Bristol Rovers beat us, just didn’t happen.

Unbelievable times really, 61 goals in 23 home games we scored that season.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chesterfield actually got relegated that season. I remember another tight game at home to Bolton we won 1-0, Bully with his left foot, but as you say we usually hammered teams that year. As a ten year old I remember being absolutely stunned when Bristol Rovers beat us, just didn’t happen.

That left footer by Bully was probably one of his best, admittedly lots to choose from.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was the away end. North bank was the home end when i started
I don't know what period you are talking about, but that is not my memory. Up until about 1964, there were no 'ends' -- people stood where there liked and chanting was in its infancy. The first time I remember a chant as we know them now was at the Spurs home game, February 1962, and that was from the South Bank - "Wanderers, Wanderers". I was amazed when I heard it. I started going in the late 50s and that was the first time I ever heard that. 'Chanting' really got going in 64-65, the year we went down, and that was the beginning of the North Bank Choir (NBC). The North Bank became the 'home end' -- but that did not mean that the South Bank was the 'away end' as many thousands of Wolves fans continued going in the South Bank, me included, for years after. The South Bank was mixed, and eventually that led to it having to be physically segregated, which never happened in the North Bank because it didn't need to be, as hardly any away fans ever went in there. That's how things continued until they closed two sides of the ground in the 1980s, one of which was the North Bank. The South Bank only became the 'home end' when the ground started ro be redeveloped after 1990

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was 11 that season and can also remember being stunned by that Bristol Rovers defeat, I didn't get to many matches at that time,only really when my dad or my one auntie could afford to take me. I think Nigel Nartyn had the game of his career that day!

That Bristol Rovers defeat was our first at home in a year,since Peterborough beat us on a rainy Tuesday night in Div 4, a game I also went to. My next match after that Bristol Rovers one was the Torquay Sherpa Van disaster, so I started developing a but of a complex that I was a bad luck charm! Luckily my next match was a 2-0 win against Bristol City, a win that all but guaranteed us promotion

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 11 that season and can also remember being stunned by that Bristol Rovers defeat, I didn't get to many matches at that time,only really when my dad or my one auntie could afford to take me. I think Nigel Nartyn had the game of his career that day!

That Bristol Rovers defeat was our first at home in a year,since Peterborough beat us on a rainy Tuesday night in Div 4, a game I also went to. My next match after that Bristol Rovers one was the Torquay Sherpa Van disaster, so I started developing a but of a complex that I was a bad luck charm! Luckily my next match was a 2-0 win against Bristol City, a win that all but guaranteed us promotion
Yes Martyn was unbelievable that day. Went to Palace for a million a few months later, most expensive keeper in the country at the time.

Back
Top Bottom