Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Old Molineux Photos

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
I run a Pinterest board for Molineux history. Contributions welcome.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 24368
“Safe Standing” in the SouthBank behind this old team photo in 1914. An old neighbour of mine remembers the SouthBank with wooden barriers and shale on the terracing , as in this photo. Molineux Hotel stands at the top of the hill. ( courtesy of Wolverhampton archives).

I find photos with that sort of date quite sad.

A group of young men, 1914, full of life. We know what was on the horizon

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 24368
“Safe Standing” in the SouthBank behind this old team photo in 1914. An old neighbour of mine remembers the SouthBank with wooden barriers and shale on the terracing , as in this photo. Molineux Hotel stands at the top of the hill. ( courtesy of Wolverhampton archives).
And looking down the hill when it was wooden barriers and shale prior to the new (old) South Bank being built. Your neighbour must be well into his 90's?

Old Molineux 112.jpeg

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
And looking down the hill when it was wooden barriers and shale prior to the new (old) South Bank being built. Your neighbour must be well into his 90's?

View attachment 24380
My old neighbour was 92 when he died in 2001, and was still going to the match until 1999. He certainly had many memories of watching our great old club.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
The old North Bank. I worked in the club shop ( just a wooden hut!) from 1974 until the club went bust in 1982. In those days it was mainly scarves, badges, and programmes. I still see loads of old faces from the shop as I climb up the steps in the Billy Wright. I still dream of winning the League and the FA Cup!
That's a great shot, remember a bunch of us dashing up those steps to get Kenny Hibbits autograph after doing a stadium tour in the school holidays. Was that the old lottery office in the back of the north bank? Remember Jack Taylor running the shop and yes that hut was somewhat different to what we have today.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember this game.” Winners matches” sponsored the game, one of the earliest matchday sponsors we had. One of the lads with a bobble hat, has a Wolf head badge ,so must have been from late 1979 onwards.
Yes, apparently it’s the 81/82 season.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember with Winners sponsored matches you could get in the ground for about half price for a few games. They also did some away games. For some reason I can remember they sponsored Birmingham away in our top flight relegation season I think, a dismal 0-0 draw just before we plumeted down the leagues.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Found the image on Alamy photos website…

John Richards testimonial match at Molineux 2/12/85 LtoR Bev Bevan, Ian Sludge Lees, Jeff Lynne, Jasper Carrott, Kenny Craig, Dave Harrison, Robert Plant, Alex Hamill​

I thought it was Mike Dean getting centre stage yet again :)

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

OK, yes, we were talking at cross purposes. But do you recall the old air raid shelter? This was to the left of the Molineux Hotel as you approach the back of the South Bank. It began roughly where the old entrance to the South Bank with the big wrought-iron gates used to be which were erected in the 60s. From that point to the turnstiles was an enclosed tunnel-like space with lights on the walls. Very dark and crowded, and as a 6 year old it scared me -- I used to hold my dad's hand! I think this air-raid shelter/ tunnel had gone by about 1956 or 57.
I know its a little late - but while I don't remember the air raid shelter - the white painted sign was clearly visible in the 'concourse' behind the middle entrances (where the toilets were) onto the south bank terrace (Waterloo road side) in 1976-77.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever I see old photos of fans stood in the enclosure (early 80s), i always look out for my late Dad who often stood in there if he could get out of his farming job on a Saturday morning. Havent seen him in any photos yet, but it gives me great joy to at least look out for him.

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I seem to recall that that when I was a nipper in about 1970 you could pay to get in the Enclosure from the South Bank, but not the North Bank. Can anyone confirm?
No it was the other way around. There was a gateway in the North Bank corner in front of the white ground announcers cabin. You had to pay a few pence more to upgrade to the enclosure!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Found the image on Alamy photos website…

John Richards testimonial match at Molineux 2/12/85 LtoR Bev Bevan, Ian Sludge Lees, Jeff Lynne, Jasper Carrott, Kenny Craig, Dave Harrison, Robert Plant, Alex Hamill​

When I saw that photo I thought it was Peter Knowles?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whenever I see old photos of fans stood in the enclosure (early 80s), i always look out for my late Dad who often stood in there if he could get out of his farming job on a Saturday morning. Havent seen him in any photos yet, but it gives me great joy to at least look out for him.
I expect it's something we all do if there is an old picture close-up of fans at a match. For me it would be back in the 70s on the old North Bank. Never seen myself but I remember someone pointing out Stuart Earl, who then ran the London Wolves Supporters Club (LWSC). Reading that post about moving from the Enclosure to the North Bank reminded me that the LWSC members used to enter the ground from the coach on the Waterloo Road and then en masse move out through the door the players used onto the ground and then onto the North Bank. Cue mayhem!

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the England player closest to the ball is Tommy Taylor of Manchester United who lost his life in the Munich air crash.

optimuswolf

Reaction score
My old neighbour was 92 when he died in 2001, and was still going to the match until 1999. He certainly had many memories of watching our great old club.
I'd bloody love to hear stories from people such as your neighbour. My family didn't go much - even though it was cheaper back then they couldn't really afford it. The wireless and the paper was their link to the club.

top fox wolf

Reaction score
View attachment 14770
Another from back of the bully one matchday without the terrace houses. Which is a shame?
A mates relative used to live in one of those houses, lost touch to ask how the club compensated.

Also, meks me sad seeing feathers and wanderer. ****ing ****ers taking them off us.
Never the wanderer to me always will.be THE FOX INN ...AKA.....THE TOP FOX my dad's pub for over 40 years Bill.turley .

Back
Top Bottom