Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Robbie, Robbie

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Truly amazing. Really appreciate now just how good a player Robbie was. A good winger and always chipping in with special goals. With Bully banging the goals in, Robbie’s contribution was not so obvious. But a video like the above really shows you what we miss now.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last time I saw him was pre-match about 3-4 years ago in Slug & Lettuce in the town centre. He was on his own, I got the impression he was waiting for mates, but I was disappointed he seemed to be recognized by nobody, everyone just seemed to walk straight past him.

I know he wasn’t Bull, but would have thought he’d get a bit more adulation.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great player, very underrated.

I think I even spotted a header in that goal mix video, now that was a rarity indeed.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely fantastic player. Whenever he stepped up for a freekick you always felt a great chance of it going in. One of my favourites of late 80s era.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last time I saw him was pre-match about 3-4 years ago in Slug & Lettuce in the town centre. He was on his own, I got the impression he was waiting for mates, but I was disappointed he seemed to be recognized by nobody, everyone just seemed to walk straight past him.

I know he wasn’t Bull, but would have thought he’d get a bit more adulation.
My dad was in the club shop about 1.30pm on Saturday and said Kaladzic was there buying shirts. He said no one recognised him and he was the only one who got his autograph (not a selfie person). I know he has been out injured, but I would have thought a 6ft7 first teamer would have got some attention?!

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
That will never catch on .A strange phenomenon of a Wolves wide player who could score some lovely goals ,with good trickery ,good foot movement and could actually shoot accurately .
Great memories

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have a Robbie Dennison coffee mug :):):)

The handle fell off after years of loyal service, so it now a pen and pencil holder !

Easily makes it into my , ' Best players I have seen at Wolves in my 50 years as a fan 23 man squad ' :D:D:D

As Joni Mitchell once said " Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till its gone " and that was certainly the case I felt with Robbie.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brillant memories and the second Wolves player I got to know the name of (first one was Bully obviously) as I slowly started to catch interest in that far away English Third Division team back in the late 80's.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

The handle fell off after years of loyal service, so it now a pen and pencil holder !

Easily makes it into my , ' Best players I have seen at Wolves in my 50 years as a fan 23 man squad ' :D:D:D

As Joni Mitchell once said " Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till its gone " and that was certainly the case I felt with Robbie.
If your handle has dropped off Tim be careful in the loo :)

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

I remember one game when he had got a shot away and was like a tortoise ambling back to get on side .Someone behind me in the Steve Bull shouted’ Any chance you can break out into a walk Robbie’?

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can someone send the video to Podence for him to see what he should be doing .
Don't think Robbie would have posted a picture of himself in mid air having attempted a shot that is still on its way to the moon .
Robbie ........quality player from an era where the lads gave everything and were proud to wear the shirt .
On second thoughts ......send the vid to the whole of the current squad with a message to fight for the club and earn their wages

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recall he used to get his fair share of Criticism at the time.

I remember one game when he had got a shot away and was like a tortoise ambling back to get on side .Someone behind me in the Steve Bull shouted’ Any chance you can break out into a walk Robbie’?

While @Jonzy54 quip is funny, Taffywolf makes an excellent point because as always, even in succesful sides ( not just Wolves of that , I have an 86 year old Celtic mate who says incredibly Jimmy Johstone got pelters off an element of the support and my recently deceased Uncle told me that a section of the Derby support moaned about John McGovern ) there are players who a certain set of ' fans ' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: have to have as a target. I cannot recall which game it was back in the day ( it was a midweek fixture as back then I travelled to every Saturday home match but rarely did midweek games ) but Robbie got treated disgracefully, so much so that Graham Turner launched into the so called fans in the Express and Star. In the home game that followed the Wolves fans who realise booing one of your own, gave Robbie a fantastic cheer everytime he got the ball.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great video thanks. Happy memories of happy times, despite the divisions we were in!

Only one missing that should have been in there, from this unforgettable game! -

Like football used to be.No excessive goal celebrations,no constant drama around refs decisions.
I liked the sport better back then.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the username would suggest, I was a big fan. Such a nice guy in person too having met him a handful of times.

As a youngster I was always fascinated by his touch (having had it drummed into me by my dad how important a first touch/control is) - he could bring a high ball down on his laces so effortlessly, the type of control where a player would typically use their instep, such a hard technique. Very fluid movement, tidy passing, brilliant crossing, and his own unique shooting (lofted/floated but accurate) style.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Met him before the Man U QF in the toilets at a bar. Heard his accent long before I saw who it was. Asked him if he made it over for many games...

Now I'm a fairly young looking 43 year old (39 at the time), he must have just figured I was too young to recognise him...

But I did recognise him and we had a little chat. I explained that I won't point him out to anyone so he doesn't get mobbed...

No heirs or graces about him. Was happy to spend a minute talking to his starry eyed new friend in the toilet and seeked me out at my table with the lads before he left, to say goodbye.

What a guy!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My dad was in the club shop about 1.30pm on Saturday and said Kaladzic was there buying shirts. He said no one recognised him and he was the only one who got his autograph (not a selfie person). I know he has been out injured, but I would have thought a 6ft7 first teamer would have got some attention?!
Staff member told me Bueno was in the club shop behind me, so I turned around to find a little fella...

Note to self, if you look small on a football pitch, you're probably a normal sized bloke. He was pushing 6ft... Unless I've shrunk.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He got a bit of stick, to be fair it was always the winger who seemed to get it most at all clubs.

It showed how highly thought of he was by our fans during the penalty shootout v Sheff Wednesday, he missed our second one after we’d already missed the first and as he walked back to the halfway line pretty much everyone sang his name.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My favourite player as a kid, even above Bully for a time. When I was mascot in 1989 my mom incorrectly told the club Bully was my favourite player, which then got printed in the program.

My dad told this to Robbie in the dressing room before the match, his reply back in a thick northern Irish accent ‘what do women know about football anyway’.

Was like the punchline from a Frank Carson joke.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

While @Jonzy54 quip is funny, Taffywolf makes an excellent point because as always, even in succesful sides ( not just Wolves of that , I have an 86 year old Celtic mate who says incredibly Jimmy Johstone got pelters off an element of the support and my recently deceased Uncle told me that a section of the Derby support moaned about John McGovern ) there are players who a certain set of ' fans ' :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: have to have as a target. I cannot recall which game it was back in the day ( it was a midweek fixture as back then I travelled to every Saturday home match but rarely did midweek games ) but Robbie got treated disgracefully, so much so that Graham Turner launched into the so called fans in the Express and Star. In the home game that followed the Wolves fans who realise booing one of your own, gave Robbie a fantastic cheer everytime he got the ball.
I used to stand by a group of blokes on the South Bank who were always giving him stick no matter what he did. I was glad when the North Bank was rebuilt so I could get away from them.

The video brings back great memories. Always loved how he beat players whilst making it look effortless.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recall a terrible penalty decision given against him at Molineux (North Bank penalty area). Can't remember who against, but Robbie was back helping the defence & the ball bounced awkwardly in the area & hit his lower arm.

Also remember times when a subtle body movement parted the opposition defence like the Red Sea.

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to stand by a group of blokes on the South Bank who were always giving him stick no matter what he did. I was glad when the North Bank was rebuilt so I could get away from them.

The video brings back great memories. Always loved how he beat players whilst making it look effortless.
I mean ... I've heard wolves fans (60+ year olds) recently say about Moutinho - "ee wor no good until a year agew"

Imagine that your football capacity and understanding results in you thinking that Moutinho wasn't any good for us in his first 2-3 seasons and he only became good a year ago.

The stuff I hear at Molineux puts me off going. Astonishing.

I know absolutely **** all about cricket. So I don't talk about it. Cos that would be stupid. I wouldn't go to cricket and slate a player. I dont understand the discipline properly. With football, why are people so confident and convinced that they are experts? It blows my mind.

That geezer who stands on his seat in the South Bank occasionally when we keep the ball in our half patiently, and sometimes give it away, and he screams "GERRIT RUDDY FOWUD". He'd have hated Xavi. We didn't complete 4 passes in the opponents half for 5 months when we got relegated from the Champ. It's OK.

Same folks who slated Karl Henry. The ultimate misconception. Wanted the ball constantly. Which meant he was more likely to lose the ball (law of average). But no one wanted to receive the ball off him? They'd hide and **** it. But cos Henry had the ball, thick ****ers couldn't look off the ball and consider who's available to receive. I told one bloke - next time Henry has the ball I want you to not look at the ball, but look at the other players and tell me who he should pass to. Literally didn't hear a word from him again.

Apologies this is prob for the drunk thread but too late... :)

David Felgate

OoohRobbieRobbie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I right in saying that Man City game where he scored that goal was live on terrestrial TV? I've got a vague memory of watching it on a Sunday afternoon - am I way off?

Those were the days. Sunday televised matches. Port Vale 4 QPR 4 anyone?

Not to mention early 90s Gazetta live match on the Sunday seeing the best players of all time in the best league that will ever exist. Now we're struggling to watch Fulham vs Brentford. Cheers

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I right in saying that Man City game where he scored that goal was live on terrestrial TV? I've got a vague memory of watching it on a Sunday afternoon - am I way off?

Those were the days. Sunday televised matches. Port Vale 4 QPR 4 anyone?

Not to mention early 90s Gazetta live match on the Sunday seeing the best players of all time in the best league that will ever exist. Now we're struggling to watch Fulham vs Brentford. Cheers
Yes, the Man City game was a Sunday, I remember the game at Maine Road that season was a Sunday as well.

I think most the televised championship games were on sky by then, but I remember watching Port Vale 4 QPR 4 at my dads so that must have been terrestrial. What a game that was.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recall a terrible penalty decision given against him at Molineux (North Bank penalty area). Can't remember who against, but Robbie was back helping the defence & the ball bounced awkwardly in the area & hit his lower arm.

Also remember times when a subtle body movement parted the opposition defence like the Red Sea.
Barnsley at home 89/90 season, 1-1 draw.

Back
Top Bottom