Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Adama Traore!

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 143 45.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 175 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which imo makes it about the money. Yes he would have had 3 years of higher wages, but he then would have been sold while under contract. This way he has run his contract down and is looking for improved wages and a big signing on few as there is no transfer fee to pay...
Okay, so let’s take it as read, that it’s about the money. As far as I’m led to believe he was offered £85k a week, from £55k a week he’s on now. He supposedly wanted £105k a week to mirror the top earners.
Therefore he’s missed on £3.2m to run his contract down.
From reports I’ve recently read, Napoli have offered him £55k but inc bonuses, so on less than he’s earning now. Not so sure he’d get a £3.2m signing on bonus either. Again from what I’ve been told, Wolves have offered him £65k a week plus bonuses. Not what he wants but still more than he’s on. If it’s only about money, it doesn’t make sense that he hasn’t re-signed for us.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t JL make it known that he only wanted players who wanted to be here?
Adama has had plenty of opportunity to commit to that.
He hasn’t (as is his right) so I’d expect him to announce something after 30th June.
The club should withdraw any offer ( if there still is one) before 30th and wish him well.
I wish him well too and thank him for those moments that have brought us to the edge of our seats.
But bottom line is, he hasn’t added much in the way of goals or points

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t JL make it known that he only wanted players who wanted to be here?
Adama has had plenty of opportunity to commit to that.
He hasn’t (as is his right) so I’d expect him to announce something after 30th June.
The club should withdraw any offer ( if there still is one) before 30th and wish him well.
I wish him well too and thank him for those moments that have brought us to the edge of our seats.
But bottom line is, he hasn’t added much in the way of goals or points
Julen has made it known on many occasions he wants Adama to stay.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Okay, so let’s take it as read, that it’s about the money. As far as I’m led to believe he was offered £85k a week, from £55k a week he’s on now. He supposedly wanted £105k a week to mirror the top earners.
From reports I’ve recently read, Napoli have offered him £55k but inc bonuses, so on less than he’s earning now. Not so sure he’d get a £3.2m signing on bonus either. Again from what I’ve been told, Wolves have offered him £65k a week plus bonuses. Not what he wants but still more than he’s on. If it’s only about money, it doesn’t make sense that he hasn’t re-signed for us.
I still find it surprising that more players don't run their contracts down, but maybe the reason is that the ones that do still have to fit within wage structures at clubs. I'd have thought with the subs rules these days most top teams would at least like the option of Adama. You could have him, all in transfer fee (none) and wages (£80k a week) for 3 years for £12m. Pace, power, threat, by all accounts a lovely guy, great attitude. That seems like a bargain to me.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Julen has made it known on many occasions he wants Adama to stay.
Which, if true, appears to be totally contradictory to his philosophy of only wanting players committed to the cause, which clearly Adama is not.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If that is all correct, then it’s understandable even if based mostly on money, but it just means he’s been badly advised. As it stands right now it makes sense he’s not taking the Napoli offer, since ours is better money. That doesn’t stop him waiting it out to see if better offers appear over the summer, as long as our offer remains on the table that is.

As to the question posed by @SingYourHeartsOut as to why don’t more players see their contract out? Well the flip side to a value buy like Adama, is that the “buying” club has to assume he will do the same next time, or at least be very picky about where he goes next, so he is likely to have no sell on value. That will put some clubs off, as he’s pure cost and zero on the club’s assets. In reality most free transfers end up on short 1 year rolling contracts, and this gives the player no long term certainty of income.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still find it surprising that more players don't run their contracts down, but maybe the reason is that the ones that do still have to fit within wage structures at clubs. I'd have thought with the subs rules these days most top teams would at least like the option of Adama. You could have him, all in transfer fee (none) and wages (£80k a week) for 3 years for £12m. Pace, power, threat, by all accounts a lovely guy, great attitude. That seems like a bargain to me.
The reason more players don't run down their contracts (IMO) is the risk factor, loss of form, injury or your preferred club signing other options.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it may be time to move on from Adama. Love him but I think he is off. Good luck to him.
My thoughts too mate. Has the x factor for 18 months. I think both us and him need a fresh start

Awful that he's going for free and we should have cashed in, but thems the breaks

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is a little bit like saying, investment bankers are the saviour of western society, as we know it.
TV money to me is not the saviour of football, but the reason why players wages and agents, are paid fortunes.
It is like it. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s wrong.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that is all correct, then it’s understandable even if based mostly on money, but it just means he’s been badly advised. As it stands right now it makes sense he’s not taking the Napoli offer, since ours is better money. That doesn’t stop him waiting it out to see if better offers appear over the summer, as long as our offer remains on the table that is.

As to the question posed by @SingYourHeartsOut as to why don’t more players see their contract out? Well the flip side to a value buy like Adama, is that the “buying” club has to assume he will do the same next time, or at least be very picky about where he goes next, so he is likely to have no sell on value. That will put some clubs off, as he’s pure cost and zero on the club’s assets. In reality most free transfers end up on short 1 year rolling contracts, and this gives the player no long term certainty of income.
He has said all along the amount of game time he gets is important.
If the plan is to only use him as an impact player, he can do that at a higher stage than where he is now.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree that it does not make sense the way it has ultimatelyworked out, but imo Adama has gambled and lost. He thought we would come back with a better offer, and he still thinks he is worth more than anyone with an interest in him.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has said all along the amount of game time he gets is important.
If the plan is to only use him as an impact player, he can do that at a higher stage than where he is now.

That’s fine in theory, but if he can only get his wish by moving on a free, then it doesn’t say much about his perceived value to teams. For me, I think he’s been seen by all those who could offer him his dream of more money and regular playing time, and the none appear willing to put a decent offer on the table. Ignoring Barca’s cheeky free loan and empty promise of a signing, the best alternative he’s been offered to date is from Spurs, and they apparently wanted him as a wing back. Had he gone there and been played in that position, then likely his Spurs career would have mirrored Doherty’s - a brief spell in the first team, then an extended spell on the bench, then loaned out.

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's all about he money. He is simply waiting for Mr Mendes to organise his move to a Saudi club.....IMHO.

Seriously, the ownership of majorly financed clubs in Saudi will have a huge effect on the premier league, especially if they own one in the premier league too (eg Newcastle).

Wolves loan out players to Grasshoppers and get them back. Nothing to stop the 4 Saudi FCs loaning players to Newvcastle and then taking them back with a maximum of 4 loan players (none from the same club). How many clubs to the Saudi wealth fund own? Answer 4.

Got their chunk of pro golf...... what next?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it’s money, and not a collection of interlinking factors, why didn’t he sign a new contract three years ago which would’ve nearly doubled his money? He could still have been transferred to another club at a later date and further increased his money and another whopping sign-on fee. I’m no fanboy but even I can see it’s not about the money. Of course if Al-jabbooby offer him £300k a week, then his other factors have a price, just the same as everyone else. It’s not as black and white as you think it is.

Because I think 3 years ago 100k plus a week just wasn't enough for him. He valued himself higher than that. Also, if he wanted a move he would have asked for one. I absolutely think it's black and white. He wants as much money as he can imo and always has, and I also don't see an issue with that either.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He was reportedly offered a contract that matched Raul and Moutinho at the time and turned it down. It's fairly common knowledge the offer he turned down would have put him close to being the highest paid player in our history.

TheRetroChief

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was reportedly offered a contract that matched Raul and Moutinho at the time and turned it down. It's fairly common knowledge the offer he turned down would have put him close to being the highest paid player in our history.
Which frankly would have been absolutely ridiculous given his output. Glad it didn't happen...or was just ******

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which frankly would have been absolutely ridiculous given his output. Glad it didn't happen...or was just ******

Again though, i really dont blame Adama if he does want to earn the most he can. People seem to treat wanting to do the best for yourself and your family financially as something negative, and i dont see it that way. Its exactly why i moved to Australia. No way if i stayed in England would i have been able to earn the kind of money i have and spend the kind of money on houses i have if i stayed there. I'd still be stuck in Pelsall :laughing: I dont see it any differently with footballers.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which, if true, appears to be totally contradictory to his philosophy of only wanting players committed to the cause, which clearly Adama is not.
Waiting for the best deal never means I don't commit to what I decide to do. Why are footballers any different?

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he’d stay then it’d mean he’s been offered a contract that makes him our top earning player. Do you reward a player with that who despite having at times some blisteringly fantastic games but still hasn’t been able to nail down a starting position in 5 seasons? I don’t think we do.
He could come back with his tail between legs and accept something lower.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he’d stay then it’d mean he’s been offered a contract that makes him our top earning player. Do you reward a player with that who despite having at times some blisteringly fantastic games but still hasn’t been able to nail down a starting position in 5 seasons? I don’t think we do.
In that time he's faced more competition for his place than anyone else. Instead of making him a top earner we have signed winger after winger for 20+ million pounds on the sort of wages he wants. None of them have ended up being any better, just different.

Reactions: Ian

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Waiting for the best deal never means I don't commit to what I decide to do. Why are footballers any different?
Agree entirely.
With the exception, and indeed the reason that footballers are different, being that the club allegedly made him an offer which would have made him a top earner.
His choice was to stall (as is his right), and my opinion is that the club should have then withdrawn the offer (as is their right) and just let him go. With hindsight they should have just tried to get some kind of fee a year ago.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that time he's faced more competition for his place than anyone else. Instead of making him a top earner we have signed winger after winger for 20+ million pounds on the sort of wages he wants. None of them have ended up being any better, just different.
I agree with that but it begs the questions why he didn’t nail down the spot or the club felt the need to try and sign others. On his day he’s probably our most effective attacker and certainly the most exciting I’ve seen in my near 40 years watching but the only consistent thing in his game is his level of inconsistency.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could come back with his tail between legs and accept something lower.
He could absolutely but I don’t see it personally. On a free someone will take a “gamble” on him at what he wants. Up to their recent financial implosion he’s the sort of player Everton would have signed. Again personally I think he’ll end up in Saudi, which would be a good move for him financially and would allow him to really shine as the vast majority of players in that league won’t be able to deal with him, it’d be like when Hulk went to China, he’d be a flat track bully

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with that but it begs the questions why he didn’t nail down the spot or the club felt the need to try and sign others. On his day he’s probably our most effective attacker and certainly the most exciting I’ve seen in my near 40 years watching but the only consistent thing in his game is his level of inconsistency.
We have never setup to help him, and I'm sorry but moutinho (100 grand a week) in that time was about as inconsistent.
That summer after our European adventure was the one we ****ed up the most. Rather than get the more physical reinforcements our midfield that struggled in Europe needed, we made signings around the fringe of the team, and drastically slowed the pace thay we played at.
We have being playing football at a laboured pace every since, even before the Raul injury.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have never setup to help him, and I'm sorry but moutinho (100 grand a week) in that time was about as inconsistent.
That summer after our European adventure was the one we ****ed up the most. Rather than get the more physical reinforcements our midfield that struggled in Europe needed, we made signings around the fringe of the team, and drastically slowed the pace thay we played at.
We have being playing football at a laboured pace ever since, even before the Raul injury.
Whilst I agree Moutinho was inconsistent, Adama could only dream to have even then that level of consistency.

I agree about slow play but you have to factor into that is irrelevant at times when Adama’s decision making is very poor. For all his attributes the thing that no one has been able to coach into him either here or elsewhere is when to do things and when not to, he unfortunately doesn’t have a football brain.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst I agree Moutinho was inconsistent, Adama could only dream to have even then that level of consistency.

I agree about slow play but you have to factor into that is irrelevant at times when Adama’s decision making is very poor. For all his attributes the thing that no one has been able to coach into him either here or elsewhere is when to do things and when not to, he unfortunately doesn’t have a football brain.
Yet all these players with supposed massive football IQs just want to play the ball in front of a static defense and the results aren't any better.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one compares to jota driving towards the box , now that was the excitement …

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one compares to jota driving towards the box , now that was the excitement …
That is the thing, Neves used to pick the ball up in midfield and look for runners so he could switch play but we have had nobody prepared to run into space in the last few seasons, so he would end up squaring it before he got closed down; it was such a waste, he would of landed it on the laces of your favourite foot if you made the run.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet all these players with supposed massive football IQs just want to play the ball in front of a static defense and the results aren't any better.
Adama for all his qualities never helped that situation though. In 5 years with us how often did he make a run into space without the ball? He was always static, wanting it into feet. With the electric pace he has he could just hang on the full back and any player could put an almost aimless ball into space behind the full back and he’d make it. He’s the most exciting and yet the most frustrating player rolled into one that I’ve seen in a wolves shirt.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama for all his qualities never helped that situation though. In 5 years with us how often did he make a run into space without the ball? He was always static, wanting it into feet. With the electric pace he has he could just hang on the full back and any player could put an almost aimless ball into space behind the full back and he’d make it. He’s the most exciting and yet the most frustrating player rolled into one that I’ve seen in a wolves shirt.
Snap

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only reason I know is my pal who I’ve sat with for 25 years literally pulls his hair out at him for it. He’s the only bloke who groans when he comes on rather than gets excited lol.

It is a very basic thing for him to do (run into space) and with players like Moutinho/Neves they’d have found him easily. I always used to try and give him the benefit of the doubt and think maybe that’s what he was told to do and be static but I can’t believe the likes of Nuno or JL would say that. It was noticeable in the few cameos Chiquinho had before injury that the first thing he did was hang off the full back and run into space.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the thing, Neves used to pick the ball up in midfield and look for runners so he could switch play but we have had nobody prepared to run into space in the last few seasons, so he would end up squaring it before he got closed down; it was such a waste, he would of landed it on the laces of your favourite foot if you made the run.
I think teams worked us out so didn’t give us the space behind. Players who were very effective on the counter were massively less effective when they needed to break teams down. It happened occasionally (eg Huddersfield) in our first 2 premier league seasons but became the norm after that which coupled with being knackered after COVID season meant we and Adama became less effective.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With the electric pace he has he could just hang on the full back and any player could put an almost aimless ball into space behind the full back and he’d make it
Always amazed me, that this most basic of tactics was never employed. You’d have thought it was a given but none of our coaches went down that route…….or perhaps it was tried in training but Adams’s one dimensional thinking, meant he couldn’t grasp even that most simplistic approach.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always amazed me, that this most basic of tactics was never employed. You’d have thought it was a given but none of our coaches went down that route…….or perhaps it was tried in training but Adams’s one dimensional thinking, meant he couldn’t grasp even that most simplistic approach.
Its not the play its adama.

Adama wants ball to feet, he really mentally struggles it seems with runs in behind, he wants to beat a man and run that way.

He is hopeless at timing runs and running in behind (which should be his greatest asset)

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can remember on a couple of occasions where he caused havoc from a quick break after a corner, but most of the time he seemed to be pulled back to defend in those situations, rather than just hanging out on the halfway line where he could take advantage of his pace.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think if Chiq has not been affected too much by his injury that he will be a perfect replacement for Adama.

He is rapid like Adama but has much better close control and most importantly is a much better crosser of the ball.

I love Adama but I’m not too worried by him leaving.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can remember on a couple of occasions where he caused havoc from a quick break after a corner, but most of the time he seemed to be pulled back to defend in those situations, rather than just hanging out on the halfway line where he could take advantage of his pace.
Absolutely. For me Adama should always be at the halfway line for corners. That would result in at least two defenders being forced to stay back.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Adama just gets a club that wants to use him as an out and out winger.

Back
Top Bottom