Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Adama Traore!

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 143 45.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 175 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Hopefully they will do it in the Saudi homeland and leave us to get on with things over here. Those who wish it can watch their superstars on pay for view TV live from the desert Kingdom and we can have some ordinary football back here. Wouldn't really miss them myself. They would be welcome to Al City V Al Magpies in the World Series every year.
Agree with this. The Saudi teams will never have the historic pull of teams founded over a century ago but it would be a real shame if all the best coaches and players end up there just for the money. Sadly all the non legacy armchair fans around the world will be salivating at the prospect of it though.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with this. The Saudi teams will never have the historic pull of teams founded over a century ago but it would be a real shame if all the best coaches and players end up there just for the money. Sadly all the non legacy armchair fans around the world will be salivating at the prospect of it though.
Welcome to it.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strong rumours he’s in advanced talks with Nuno’s team.

I dreamed that last night after saying nobody would buy him the other day..
Just seeing the money these Saudi teams are going to be chucking at everyone made me realise they would pay him far more than we will offer just as a freak show to see him run.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's always been about money, and nobody really cares about the historic pull of clubs. How many foreigners of today's generation had heard of Wolves before 2017-18 ? How many people rated English football before the Premier League started creating wealth, Italian and German football was better until our money started bringing in the best foreign players. If they're sitting in an armchair in Indonesia or Bejing, they don't care either way.

Just like Liv Golf, and throwing billions at Saudi tourism, buying football players is just part of a re-branding of Saudi Arabia and they have bottomless pockets to make it happen.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
It's always been about money, and nobody really cares about the historic pull of clubs. How many foreigners of today's generation had heard of Wolves before 2017-18 ? How many people rated English football before the Premier League started creating wealth, Italian and German football was better until our money started bringing in the best foreign players. If they're sitting in an armchair in Indonesia or Bejing, they don't care either way.

Just like Liv Golf, and throwing billions at Saudi tourism, buying football players is just part of a re-branding of Saudi Arabia and they have bottomless pockets to make it happen.
All very true. It's sickening to see Saudi Arabia Sport washing as a distraction from their human rights atrocities. As for the EPL it may create a more level playing field if less stars are being stockpiled in the top 6 sides. Whatever happens it won't effect us legacy fans who will continue to support their club no matter what.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think hes worth that kind of money for the output he brings
When hes firing hes great but thats like half a dozen games a season at best
Idk what hes on but theres been an improved offer on the table for 2 years now surely both parties have made their stance clear
I don't know. I think he's worth what we're talking about given his output. We won't over-pay, and that's good, but I think keeping him would be good for the squad. I love the lad though, which maybe affects my judgement here.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly. I'd rather they put all their cash into building their global game out there. The Americans, Koreans and others who pick their soccer teams to support, from across the world on a whim, can pay their money, take their choice and watch the circus each week on TV. Better that than have them use our clubs as a front for their game. If that means our team is made up of youngsters from Dudley rather than superstars from Iberia, so be it. We will still be Wolves.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
End of the day none of these people are here because they love wolves like we do . It's the greed league the Prem ,so even more money well the players and managers will go won't they .

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Adama is a nice guy I'm sure but he's absolutely woeful as a top flight forward. A grand total of 10 goals and 15 assists in just shy of 200 games is below the bare minimum you would expect from a player who wants to be a top earner. I really don't understand why some are getting misty eyed about keeping him any longer. Yes he got you off your seat but that was almost always followed by the slapping sound of 30,000 arses as they slumped back down in disappointment.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly. I'd rather they put all their cash into building their global game out there. The Americans, Koreans and others who pick their soccer teams to support, from across the world on a whim, can pay their money, take their choice and watch the circus each week on TV. Better that than have them use our clubs as a front for their game. If that means our team is made up of youngsters from Dudley rather than superstars from Iberia, so be it. We will still be Wolves.
Agreed. They can have Benzema, Ronaldo and Messi. They can also have Kane and Haaland if they want. In fact, they are welcome to Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool and Newcastle as well. They can all go there, earn loads of money and let us have our football league back. I won't watch them or miss them.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All I can say is that after the announcement between PGA Tour and LIV golf, the Saudi's now effectively own golf. Is footy next on the horizon? Money talks.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't blame him for taking the money. I would, but if he does go there it does show no good club is coming in for him like a lot of people, me included thought they might, and it shows its all about the money with him. Its exactly why he didn't sign with us, he wants big money. Again, can't blame him for that either.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't blame him for taking the money. I would, but if he does go there it does show no good club is coming in for him like a lot of people, me included thought they might, and it shows its all about the money with him. Its exactly why he didn't sign with us, he wants big money. Again, can't blame him for that either.
Let’s be honest here…..
ALL players join clubs for the money…….period. Although we usually never know to what extent money influences every player, I think it’s reasonable to assume that they are businessmen first and footballers second.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that he wanted to be equal(ish) to Wolves highest earners at circa £100k a week and so is money orientated but he is hardly a pauper and probably earns enough money now so that he never has to work again. As a free agent now he will also probably be able to earn more than a a £100k a week.
How much money does a person need?
Are there any principles?
I genuinely would not be working for the Saudis no matter how much they offered me.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi was on 75 million a year at Barcelona, which at the time made him the highest paid footballer in the world.

For comparison, he's been offered 400 a million a year in Saudi Arabia. So over a million pound a day in basic salary alone.

It's just obscene.

It's long past the point where it even computes in the head. For so many reasons, the world is like some oozing, rotten peach left forgotten in a fruit bowl.

The golf news shows how unstoppable all this is. People saying football will be unrecognisable in 20, 30 years...? Try 5.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get that he wanted to be equal(ish) to Wolves highest earners at circa £100k a week and so is money orientated but he is hardly a pauper and probably earns enough money now so that he never has to work again. As a free agent now he will also probably be able to earn more than a a £100k a week.
How much money does a person need?
Are there any principles?
I genuinely would not be working for the Saudis no matter how much they offered me.

I dont disagree, but i dont think its that easy to turn down an offer of over 100k a week. I'd like to think in principal i would with say the Saudis, but in reality, i doubt i'm turning down the kind of money that could set me up for life with 6 months work.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he goes good luck to him. He's been exciting at times but never developed as much as we hoped. I was reading another Traore thread the other day from 2019 and many of the comments on that one have been replicated on this one in 2023. A good man, a good teammate, and a dangerous player at times who should have done better, but not as good as Matt Jarvis.

The Saudi issue probably needs a thread of its own.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's long past the point where it even computes in the head. For so many reasons, the world is like some oozing, rotten peach left forgotten in a fruit bowl.

The golf news shows how unstoppable all this is. People saying football will be unrecognisable in 20, 30 years...? Try 5.
A sad view but likely true. Money seems to be the only issue in life now with decency, humanity, ecology etc etc taking a back seat. Glad I won't be around to see the worst of it...

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I took the dollar to work in the Middle East. In my case to train pilots to fly fighters in Qatar.

I wouldn’t recommend it at all to a footballer.

Or anyone with a brain

My Uncle worked on Vulcans in Saudi for 25 years, firstly with RAF and then BA.
He only survived by going to Thailand to "play golf" in his downtime.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Let's see if you change your tune when they put a contract in front of you to run the Saudi Prediction League.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My Uncle worked on Vulcans in Saudi for 25 years, firstly with RAF and then BA.
He only survived by going to Thailand to "play golf" in his downtime.
3 Hammers somehow doesn't compete with playing a round in Thailand.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve got images of Benzema making some fantastic early runs into the box only to angrily look up as the ball sails over his head 10 seconds after he’d arrived in position.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve got images of Benzema making some fantastic early runs into the box only to angrily look up as the ball sails over his head 10 seconds after he’d arrived in position.
More likely to smile after those ten seconds - thinking - that's another £3275 I've earned.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s be honest here…..
ALL players join clubs for the money…….period. Although we usually never know to what extent money influences every player, I think it’s reasonable to assume that they are businessmen first and footballers second.
It is a short career potentially and one where the post career options are limited for many due to a number of factors.

So I don’t begrudge anyone leaving for more money. All it takes is one injury and it is game over.

So he would be a fool to not that money! and fair play to him if they are willing to pay the amounts rumoured as clearly he won’t earn that in a more historic/competitive standard league why shouldn’t he take it? He will look like a world beater out there.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No issues with Adama going to Saudi if that's where he chooses to go, fair play to him. I'd like to keep him, he is a unique talent and seems like a fantastic person. Also no signs of him being unwilling to play in the last few games, unlike some others. Good luck to him, wherever he ends up.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we and Adama both need to be moving on now.

It is not about what we should/should not have done with this situation, we absolutely should have taken advantage of his form in 2019-2020 and cashed in for £40m+, but that is not for there here and now..

The way I see it now is he does not want to commit his future to us. If he did, he would have by now. On the face of it, that seems partly the clubs stance - if it has reached the last month of his contract and he has not had a contract signed, have either party really pushed this? Do we really see him as a priority?

My final point and probably the biggest on Adama is the enigma he is and has probably made ourselves become. How many times do in games around the 60min point, we all think "Right, it is Adama time.." Is that really a healthy thing for a football team? Because more often than not, what happens then is the players literally focus the play towards Adama, sometimes this comes off to a tee (think Man Utd last season, Moutinho goal) and there are quite a few other examples of that. Having said that, sometimes it (arguably more often) does not (think Man Utd this season, he was utterly ineffective).
On the above, there seems to be too much of an emphasis on "give the ball to Adama". Even the players seem to buy into that way of playing. No player should be treated like that, unless of course they are literally the elite. As a team, we will never evolve imo whilst that stands.

I think it is time for all parties to wish Adama well and move on as a football team.

gullykular

Reaction score
Tried to sum up Adama's time at Wolves in a blog as his impending departure approaches:

Back
Top Bottom