Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Obsession with resale values

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The other point about resale value is it mitigates the risk of a signing. Even if Silva flops we will get good money back selling him to a team who think they can unlock the potential. If an old player flops then you need to eat their contract

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This is how Fosun have chosen to deal with FFP. Some feel it is a wise decision based on their long term vision. Others don't.

Not suggesting this is a bad decision. But to progress and win things we also need to buy players who are already proven.

All for the risks on potentially top youth players but you have to balance it out.

Semedo represents balancing it out in my opinion.

Just fed up of the same old reply to any player who gets mentioned at 27 or 28. "Too old" or "no resale value".

Just as boring as "always injured" when a player had an injury once or last season. Or "Doesn't pass the no ******** policy" as though any if us know what these players are like.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun are setting us up so a few years down the line we will be in position to sign players in their prime.

For now it will absolutely kill us with regard to FFP.

We've already got a slap on the wrists from Uefa and we've spent Jack **** compared to the big 6.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players as houses? It's possible to imagine a club that continually makes wise investments, selling players at profit. Yet never winning anything and being stuck in League 1 or the championship for ever.

I thought we wanted to win trophies? Which is it? If we'd bought a couple of 30 year olds in the winter window, at their peak but with no resale value, yet they'd led us to win the Europa League, would that be bad business?

if Everton finish in the top 4, they won't care, the money and prestige from the Champions League will more than cover it.

You buy a house and sell it before it crumbles around your ears and is worthless. You can do DIY to increase the value as you go along

It's a simple analogy.

If Everton finish 4th then fair play, their strategy has finally worked but I don't think they will.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not necessarily back to square one. If these p!ayers do well, other good players will be more eager to join so then the level might stay high.

How do they pay for it? Theyll be hamstrung in Europe by FFP so won't get far

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not suggesting this is a bad decision. But to progress and win things we also need to buy players who are already proven.

All for the risks on potentially top youth players but you have to balance it out.

Semedo represents balancing it out in my opinion.

Just fed up of the same old reply to any player who gets mentioned at 27 or 28. "Too old" or "no resale value".

Just as boring as "always injured" when a player had an injury once or last season. Or "Doesn't pass the no ******** policy" as though any if us know what these players are like.
I think we have balanced it out more than you realise

Rui 32
Boly 29
Coady 27
Jonny 26
Marcal 31
Saiss 30
Mouts 34
Raul 29

Thats a fair chunk of the first team thats not young at all with several others at 24 yrs old,so we are not that young a team anymore
Thats why we are buying young talent to step in and take over,and if we can make a profit on those surpluss to requirements thats great
Of course we will buy some ready made reinforcements at a good age to supplement them,thats just common sense

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You buy a house and sell it before it crumbles around your ears and is worthless. You can do DIY to increase the value as you go along

It's a simple analogy.

If Everton finish 4th then fair play, their strategy has finally worked but I don't think they will.

What about if you buy a plot of land and it turns out it has oil or some rare earth element on it? The analogy fails because there is potential for a huge short term gain in a footballer, that doesn't apply in the case of property.

Most houses last longer than the lives of the people who live in them. I've heard of a lot more people dying than I've heard about people whose houses crumbled around their ears. Unless its Barrett homes, of course. :)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have balanced it out more than you realise

Rui 32
Boly 29
Coady 27
Jonny 26
Marcal 31
Saiss 30
Mouts 34
Raul 29

Thats a fair chunk of the first team thats not young at all with several others at 24 yrs old,so we are not that young a team anymore
Thats why we are buying young talent to step in and take over,and if we can make a profit on those surpluss to requirements thats great
Of course we will buy some ready made reinforcements at a good age to supplement them,thats just common sense

OMG Our squad is too old and decrepit - get some youngsters in immediately!

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cars are a better than houses for this analogy! Depending on make and model there comes a point where the value of a car drops and it’s better to get rid before it falls apart. With some cars you have to accept the resale value isn’t worth worrying about and just enjoy it until it stops working. Doherty is the former, Moutinho the latter.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about if you buy a plot of land and it turns out it has oil or some rare earth element on it? The analogy fails because there is potential for a huge short term gain in a footballer, that doesn't apply in the case of property.

Most houses last longer than the lives of the people who live in them. I've heard of a lot more people dying than I've heard about people whose houses crumbled around their ears. Unless its Barrett homes, of course. :)

Analogies aren't meant to be perfect, it's merely to illustrate the concept, but I think you knew that

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not necessarily. As I said earlier in the thread there are different levels that you operate in. Those clubs at the top are higher up the food chain so pay more for players slightly further along. For example Liverpool would not have bought Jota 3 years ago, it would have been too great a risk, now they’re taking him because he has proven himself at our level but still has potential to improve.

We’re not saying we go back to the same level of player we bought in say Costa and Cavaleiro, we’ve moved up a couple of levels now, but the idea is that the players we buy will improve during their time with us and as they get better we get better.

We’ve gone from mid table Championship to european contenders in 3 years off the back of the development of people like Neves, Jota, Traore, Jonny these players are better than they were when we first signed them. The next advancement is not from Silva, Vitinha or Hoever, it’s from Neto, Podence and to an extent Dendoncker whilst still seeing potential for further improvement from Traore, Neves and arguably Boly. That’s what gets us into the top 6. We should be celebrating Liverpool taking Jota because it shows our system is working and I stress again, Jota was not a guaranteed starter for us anymore, his usefulness to take us forward had begun to drop and therefore just like Costa and Cav we cash in and move up

Cotswold wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It’s like buying a at annually justtoseehow much profit you an make on it footy players are just commodpthese days no one personality cares just the way it is

Back
Top Bottom