Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno: Yes or No?

Would you appoint Nuno?

• Total voters

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Things have changed.

Diego Costa is a better all-round player than Fabio Silva.

Collins and Kilman are better than Coady & Saiss - which was the issue when we went to a four.

Also, did he not have an answer? Is that fair? We came 13th. So it wasn't pretty at all but maybe he will argue that he did have the answer and kept us up without too much of a panic.
I’m coming more and more round to the idea

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because people are pining over a guy that in his last season with us oversaw us fail to score a goal in over a third of our games and a guy whose negative tactics cost us in every big game we played. Watford, Sevilla, Sheff Utd, Burnley and more.

Why does anybody think he is the answer when a part of our negative mindset and the players lack of forward thinking stems from his time at the club?!?
Because he is the most successful Wolves manager in nearly 50 years.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off topic but it’s bugged me for ages. Why do so many include getting to one fa cup semi final (and bottling it) in our list of achievements?

I get the 7th placed finishes because they were great achievements but a premier league club getting a semi in the cup is no big deal for me. McGhee got us to one.

Since 2000 Portsmouth, Leicester and Wigan have actually won the cup. Milwall, Palace, Watford, Stoke, Hull and Southampton have made a final. WBA, Bolton, Wycombe, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Blackburn, Reading and Brighton have all made the semis.

I really have no idea why that ****ing wretched day is still held up as a highlight of Nunos time here.
The bigger achievement was the actual set of balls on the players and staff to dust themselves down and go on to capture 7th and Europe. Said at the time, that was a testament to mental strength to go and do that.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The bigger achievement was the actual set of balls on the players and staff to dust themselves down and go on to capture 7th and Europe. Said at the time, that was a testament to mental strength to go and do that.
That dendoncker goal against Fulham the crowd roared them home too

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What answer did you expect him to produce with his top 3 scorers from the season before either sold or seriously injured, and arguably his best defender suffering the effects of long covid. Not to mention his most reliable wing back in Jonny suffering back to back serious injuries. After 10 games that season we had 17 points, 4 points off the top and had just beaten Arsenal. The loss of Raul changed everything.

It was probably the right time for both parties to part at the end of that campaign, but considering how he was let down in successive windows you can hardly blame him for a drop off in form, though we were still comfortably safe all season without a striker, and he didn't complain about it like Bruno did
Your last sentence of the 1st paragraph says it all. Before Jimenez's injury we were contenders and in with a chance of bettering 7th place. Jimenez's injury changed everything from then to now. For me it is the defining moment of our very recent history; as a club, as a team we've never recovered from that moment. It clearly devastated Nuno. It seems to me the whole club went into some kind of paralysis, which it is still in, making weird decisions re: players, appointing a manager who was patently not equipped to do the job and almost accepting a steady decline in the past 24 months. Can any manager reverse this decline? Could Nuno reverse this decline? Arguably he's got a better team now but would need to get them playing pdq and hope and pray Costa can do the business. Nuno's in with as good a shout as any.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what do these managers have in common ?

• 1. Jose Mourinho
  • 2. Kevin Keegan
  • 3. Fabio Capello
  • 4. Steve McClaren
  • 5. Neil Warnock
  • 6. Tony Pulis
  • 7. Claudio Ranieri

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your last sentence of the 1st paragraph says it all. Before Jimenez's injury we were contenders and in with a chance of bettering 7th place. Jimenez's injury changed everything from then to now. For me it is the defining moment of our very recent history; as a club, as a team we've never recovered from that moment. It clearly devastated Nuno. It seems to me the whole club went into some kind of paralysis, which it is still in, making weird decisions re: players, appointing a manager who was patently not equipped to do the job and almost accepting a steady decline in the past 24 months. Can any manager reverse this decline? Could Nuno reverse this decline? Arguably he's got a better team now but would need to get them playing pdq and hope and pray Costa can do the business. Nuno's in with as good a shout as any.
spot on.

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
We have no idea who is on the "shortlist" or even if a "shortlist" exists, it's just frenzy being whipped up by social media and the like, some journalists may be close to the money but they haven't much clue. Nuno would be a bad move and the amount of people pining for him is going up due to social media whipping up a storm with a poxy "shortlist". Nuno achieved in the league and did well in Europe but there is no doubt he bottled it when it really mattered (seville and watford) people need to look back at how poor we were for the last 12 moths of his tenure and how little we scored. Plus nuno managed to stop son and kane scoring when he was manager for Tottenham that is some going considering they are a formidable duo..Nuno is the past let's leave him there.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me its a 'No' as I would hate to see things go horribly wrong for him. He deserves to be remembered as a success.
The irony is that the sort of players he needed to make us a more unpredictable team, (but at the time were denied him by Fosun), are now here...

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to read through this thread, so don't know much about this guy. What's he like, decent?
His beard is.

Honestly, given the current shambles I'm gonna say I'd welcome him back with open arms if he can get some of his team back together. However, it needs to be pre final season Nuno. Refreshed, happy, excited, and with a plan.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His beard is.

Honestly, given the current shambles I'm gonna say I'd welcome him back with open arms if he can get some of his team back together. However, it needs to be pre final season Nuno. Refreshed, happy, excited, and with a plan.
If only we gave nuno the money Lage spent

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does anybody think he is the answer when a part of our negative mindset and the players lack of forward thinking stems from his time at the club?!?
I don't think he's the answer. But I do think he's the best available candidate out of the dross that's been made public. If it's a toss up between him and Edwards, I'm picking the beard every time.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think he's the answer. But I do think he's the best available candidate out of the dross that's been made public. If it's a toss up between him and Edwards, I'm picking the beard every time.
NUNO HAD A DREAM

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunos last season being the car crash that it was was nothing to do with there being no fans and everything to do with the fact we sold the 2 key players in Jota and Doherty that were vital in how Nuno played (counter attacking)

We struggled in his last season and struggled when he went. We have no one in our squad who can score or assist.

If Nuno comes back it will be exactly the same.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what do these managers have in common ?

• 1. Jose Mourinho
  • 2. Kevin Keegan
  • 3. Fabio Capello
  • 4. Steve McClaren
  • 5. Neil Warnock
  • 6. Tony Pulis
  • 7. Claudio Ranieri
They all went back to old jobs?

See Jose, good example.. went back to Chelsea and won the title first season back.

You’ve settled my nerves, it can work.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Watching the emotion on his face in that Code Red documentary you can tell how much that Raul injury affected him, not just at the time but probably a long time after. That and covid lockdowns meaning he couldn't see his family or just be around the players like they had been used to all contributed to him losing his mojo a bit.

The more I think about it, the more I'm warming to the idea of his return, imagine the noise if he walked out just before kick off saturday

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have asked myself this question, in the position we are in at this point who would you trust to keep us in the Premier?, that is the basic situation we are in, never mind more attacking football or 3 or 4 at the back we have to be pragmatic. I can only come up with Dyche and Nuno. Like Dyche style or not you have to say he has the credentials, however I have to go with Nuno, he is pragmatic we ground out results to get out of trouble when needed and now with different players we might even see better play with him. I don't think in the short term it is going to be pretty but whatever it takes to survive we have to do it.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have asked myself this question, in the position we are in at this point who would you trust to keep us in the Premier?, that is the basic situation we are in, never mind more attacking football or 3 or 4 at the back we have to be pragmatic. I can only come up with Dyche and Nuno. Like Dyche style or not you have to say he has the credentials, however I have to go with Nuno, he is pragmatic we ground out results to get out of trouble when needed and now with different players we might even see better play with him. I don't think in the short term it is going to be pretty but whatever it takes to survive we have to do it.
Dyche is qualified for such a job, but Nuno is especially qualified for this one.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm really unsure on this. The last 12 months under him were very poor and then he looked poor at Spurs. He was great for us but it would be dreadful if he came back and it went wrong. If he does come back he will have my full support of course as he is a Wolves legend but I've got an uneasy feeling about it.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On his Spurs tenure, he got manager of the month in August. Then yes it didn’t go great, but he wasn’t really given a chance. It took Conte a while to get them into gear too. Not like there was an overnight improvement with him taking over.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he wants it then I would be over the moon. It's always an honour to have such a gentleman running our club.
I would expect he would only accept with some guaranteed backing in January and the summer. We can't survive with the squad in such a precarious state, but with a few more seniors we could fly even higher than last time.

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm really unsure on this. The last 12 months under him were very poor and then he looked poor at Spurs. He was great for us but it would be dreadful if he came back and it went wrong. If he does come back he will have my full support of course as he is a Wolves legend but I've got an uneasy feeling about it.
In his last twelve months we had covid he was exhausted, whoever comes in now is a risk, at least we know Nuno

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's a (sort of) simple choice.

Pick another journeyman coach who's done the rounds in English football who might last a couple of years to be repeated Ad Nauseum while we end up a second rate club again who's best chance is to survive a PL relegation battle but look 'comfortable' DIv 2.

Pick the bloke who had an immediate and spectacular effect on the club, walking the Chump, 2 seventh PL places, two European seasons and one FA cup SF ( OK his substitutions probably cost us the game in that one). Who pulled the club together not seen since the Cullis years, before one'poor' season (where we still looked comfortable PL competitors just not as pretty or as effective) seemed to trigger an inexplicable knee jerkism. Although we don't know the extent of the fall out, or the real reasons, it was pretty clear at the end he was gutted at leaving though.

Fosun have the club at a crossroads now. After doing very little wrong in their first few years some decision making in the past 18 months has been questionable. Jeff Shi needs to show us all he has a mature arritude and really does have the club's well being at heart. He need s to instigate at least a meeting with Nuno to discuss whatever differences exist, and how they can be rectified for the good of the club.

Nuno is the closest we will ever be to having a real Wolves man and club in the modern era.His affinity with club and region became obvious and in the end it showed.

His track record whilst here makes a mockery of him leaving. Slightly different circumstances and era but not uncommon with the way Cullis' world class spell was ended by the club.

Get him back to build the dynasty started so impressively by Fosun.

For the first time since arriving it's time for Jeff Shi and management to sort out a potential disaster for the club and relegation.

As fans most of us have seen it all before at WWFC since 1964. McGarry and an impressive first few years in the early seventies followed by relegation due mostly to a lack of bringing in players to replace those retired. Barnwell's impressive rebuild only for mis management to send the club into catastrophic decline. SJH romantic and selfless time where too many took the buck for not delivering, including the biggest offender one Jez Moxey. Morgan's debacle etc etc.

A watershed moment for Jeff Shi and Fosun's time methinks.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What's very interesting here is that for the first couple of hours of this thread being alive the 'No's' were easily in the lead.

Since then some convincing arguments have been put forward (not saying mine is on that list)... and the 'Yes's' have caught up and surged into the lead.

Sorry naysayers but more of us want our Nuno back.

Make it happen Jeff...

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They all went back to old jobs?

See Jose, good example.. went back to Chelsea and won the title first season back.

You’ve settled my nerves, it can work.
Correct. you win a cigar

Back
Top Bottom