Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno: Yes or No?

Would you appoint Nuno?

• Total voters

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago there'd have been about 10% voting yes in the poll. What's going on? Is everyone losing their minds?

The shortlist really is that terrible, that the mere hint of a return to our most recent glory days is very exciting. Not going to happen sadly, but a great man once said dreaming is for free.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was unfair to sack Nuno depsite finishing 13th. The first manager of our lifetime to take us to Europe and unified our fanbase. He isn't perfect, he has his managerial flaws, but he was ONE OF US and DESERVED better from Wolves after just one rough season. The man took us to an FA Cup Semi ffs. He can take criticism for other things but it wasn't him who closed the transfer faucet during COVID, that was Jeff and Fosun..
Off topic but it’s bugged me for ages. Why do so many include getting to one fa cup semi final (and bottling it) in our list of achievements?

I get the 7th placed finishes because they were great achievements but a premier league club getting a semi in the cup is no big deal for me. McGhee got us to one.

Since 2000 Portsmouth, Leicester and Wigan have actually won the cup. Milwall, Palace, Watford, Stoke, Hull and Southampton have made a final. WBA, Bolton, Wycombe, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Blackburn, Reading and Brighton have all made the semis.

I really have no idea why that ****ing wretched day is still held up as a highlight of Nunos time here.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Because people are pining over a guy that in his last season with us oversaw us fail to score a goal in over a third of our games and a guy whose negative tactics cost us in every big game we played. Watford, Sevilla, Sheff Utd, Burnley and more.

Why does anybody think he is the answer when a part of our negative mindset and the players lack of forward thinking stems from his time at the club?!?
Probably because he presided over the best times that most of us have seen, winning the championship, playing in Europe finishing 7th twice. 1 poor season in 4 doesn’t change that.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Off topic but it’s bugged me for ages. Why do so many include getting to one fa cup semi final (and bottling it) in our list of achievements?

I get the 7th placed finishes because they were great achievements but a premier league club getting a semi in the cup is no big deal for me. McGhee got us to one.

Since 2000 Portsmouth, Leicester and Wigan have actually won the cup. Milwall, Palace, Watford, Stoke, Hull and Southampton have made a final. WBA, Bolton, Wycombe, Sheffield United, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Fulham, Blackburn, Reading and Brighton have all made the semis.

I really have no idea why that ****ing wretched day is still held up as a highlight of Nunos time here.
Probably because we usually bottle it about 3 rounds earlier..

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably because he presided over the best times that most of us have seen, winning the championship, playing in Europe finishing 7th twice. 1 poor season in 4 doesn’t change that.

It does change it. We hit adversity and he didn't have an answer. We are currently hitting adversity so why does anyone think he can change things when he couldn't change things with his own players?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago there'd have been about 10% voting yes in the poll. What's going on? Is everyone losing their minds?
A couple of weeks ago we were thinking Lopetegui, maybe AVB or even Amorim, now we're looking at Edwards and Martins. Nuno's moved up the order

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And why are people saying the shortlist is terrible? It isn't a terrible shortlist at all. We missed out on the best option but that doesn't mean the rest are crap.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
And why are people saying the shortlist is terrible? It isn't a terrible shortlist at all. We missed out on the best option but that doesn't mean the rest are crap.
The only one we know is rob Edwards and Nuno

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So who on the shortlist is better than Nuno?

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Can’t believe fans are really up for this. Nuno’s last season was dire. He’d fallen out with some players, was aloof and had a cold relationship with Shi. He cut a depressed disinterested figure on the touch line and looked a happy man when he left.
Completely agree.

I love Nuno just like every fan and the good times under him were absolutely exceptional - the best I have ever experienced as a wolves fan by a mile.

BUT

That last season, we were a complete shambles.Performances were equally as miserable as they are currently and results only marginally better.

He appeared completely devoid of ideas on the sidelines as well as giving off the impression that he was fed up, miserable and wanting 'out.'

His appointment would simply confirm for me that we have gone backwards as a club and that our owners have absolutely no idea how to take us forward.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was Nuno sacked by the club or was it a mutual decision for him to leave ?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does change it. We hit adversity and he didn't have an answer. We are currently hitting adversity so why does anyone think he can change things when he couldn't change things with his own players?
Things have changed.

Diego Costa is a better all-round player than Fabio Silva.

Collins and Kilman are better than Coady & Saiss - which was the issue when we went to a four.

Also, did he not have an answer? Is that fair? We came 13th. So it wasn't pretty at all but maybe he will argue that he did have the answer and kept us up without too much of a panic.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was also the guy who turned down the chance to sign Tielemans and brought Podence instead
It was not an either/or between those two players as you make it sound. You also neglect to mention that Nuno vetoed Hwang....

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What answer did you expect him to produce with his top 3 scorers from the season before either sold or seriously injured, and arguably his best defender suffering the effects of long covid. Not to mention his most reliable wing back in Jonny suffering back to back serious injuries. After 10 games that season we had 17 points, 4 points off the top and had just beaten Arsenal. The loss of Raul changed everything.

It was probably the right time for both parties to part at the end of that campaign, but considering how he was let down in successive windows you can hardly blame him for a drop off in form, though we were still comfortably safe all season without a striker, and he didn't complain about it like Bruno did

HessonWolf

Reaction score
I wanted him gone at the end of the 20/21 season. I think it was the right decision, he looked like he needed a break, we had become fed up of the same football every week & the world was a little bit all over the place!
He didnt have a break as such until he left Tottenham, after that he had 8 months or so out of the game.
If he hadnt of had that break, id of been against it but having seen videos of him recently, he looks refreshed.
Ready to go again. So why cant that be with us?
Yes some of the players are the same, but in my eyes we need someone who knows the players, knows how to set this team up when our backs are against it and come away with 3 points.
People say Julen (Who i wanted) coached Neves, people say Martins (who i 100% do not want) coach Podence & Sa.
Why not get the guy that knows 50-60% of this side in?
Covid was hard on everyone, it seemed to understandably take its toll on Nuno.
Would he have done better with crowds? Who knows.
With a slightly better squad now, now is the chance to find out.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mutual according to people who knew him sacked according to everyone else
Well that's an important factor as no doubt if the club went crawling back cap in hand, he'd be calling the terms and not necessarily the club.
Could be very messy if it all went Pete Tong.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Not ITK, and at the time I felt it was right that Nuno go. Who knows the impact of Covid, but:
- not being able to see family
- lonely, tired, exhausted - he looked shadow of his former self
- became more reclusive, less communicative
- absence of crowds at games lost his 'mojo'
Whatever the truth, he needed a rest. Could he regain his zest and be more positive again? Would he be up for it? He certainly seemed to love his time in - and the people and city of - Wolverhampton.
Can he and Jeff re-build a relationship that had probably gone sour? Ok - so they might need a bit of 'marriage guidance counselling', but it HAS been known to happen.

The Chinese say 'don't step in the same river twice', but I did (professionally!) and it turned out to be HUGELY successful, so just perhaps....

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He would certainly steady the ship and we definitely need that. We could always let him see the season out and then maybe Julen will be ready?
Also, 2nd time round, he may take heed and try the more expansive style of football, 4 at the back!

Back
Top Bottom