Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno or Beale.

Nuno or Beale.

• Total voters

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not disrespect, I just thing most people feel that Nuno had his time and are getting sick of a section of posters constantly going on about him, as if he’s going to wave a magic wand. I know I am.

He did great here, under very good circumstances, playing a defensive, counter attacking game, with Raul and Jota up front, no injuries, Moutinho a few years younger, then -

Less than a goal a game at Wolves for over 12 months,
Less than a goal a game in 10 games at Spurs,
Playing, apparently, dull football in Saudi Arabia.

Is this really the bloke to get us scoring goals again? Honestly?

Some posters act like he’s some kind of Wizard. Remember the bottle job at Wembley? Otasowie as a false 9? Choosing to sign Podence over Olmo? Failing to use Vitinha? The **** performance against WBA? 4-0 at home to Burnley? Going to Chorley and having one shot?

He will rightly go down as a great manager in our history and I have huge respect for him, but some folk need to get over it.

(And when the inevitable pelters arrive replying to this, yes, I am well aware we finished 7th twice it was great. I also remember Koeman finishing 7th then 6th with Southampton in 2015 and 2016. Wouldn’t want him either.)

Great selective picking of games and players again to suit your argument :rolleyes:
You could have picked plenty of other games with positive outcomes, but as usual you go with the negative instead of the positive.

Whats the obsession with getting in a manager to get us scoring goals. We need a manager to get us wins at the moment. If thats 8 or 9 scrappy 1-0 wins then great. Right now we dont need free flowing, attacking football, and we need premier league football.

Lets face it though, you thought Lage was going to be a success. Says a lot.

T

TheConcourse

Must admit, I’ve never seen so many fans refuse to accept that it’s time to move on from
Nuno.

The bloke did wonders apart from his last season. But also remember the same bloke tactically threw away the FACup semi final too with 10 mins to go.

Nuno’s teams don’t score lots of goals. What do
We need? Commitment, energy and bodies in the final third.

Nuno isn’t the answer and I find it pretty astonishing that Wolves fans are refusing to get over their old partner. A lot of you need counselling because this is becoming silly.

Beale isn’t my first choice, but who is. I don’t have one per day.

Any manager coming in isn’t guaranteed success, and just because they are a name, doesn’t guarantee it either.

We have a board that doesn’t regularly shell out 100 million each summer. We have a board who want to be self sustainable. I’m not saying that’s right or wrong but other clubs have flung big cash around in recent years and are in no better position than us at the moment, besides a few points. Everton, Villa, Fulham to name a few.

Nuno was an unknown really, and his CV may have been slightly better than Beale in his game experience but he had no idea what to expect of the English game really. Beale has worked in the English, European and South American leagues earning knowledge.

I personally feel more enthused about Beale than I did about Lage, and he won a title with a big team in Portugal.

The sooner fans realise that Nuno isn’t the right option for this club moving forward and leave your ex partner emotions at the door the better
Firstly, you say he threw an FA Cup Semi Final away. How many managers have got us there in the last 4 decades?

“The bloke did wonders” - you ain’t wrong.

Nuno’s teams don’t score a lot of goals. What quantifies a lot of goals? How many would you like? Do you care about how many we concede?

In recent weeks we’d have to score 2/3/4 goals per game to win. Beale is averaging 1.5 GPG this season with QPR.

There’s this narrative flying around that people need to let it go, and that they’re being a little pathetic about an ex-partner. I couldn’t disagree more.

If Beale doesn’t get a good start, Molineux will be toxic. If Nuno got a poor start support would still be there, and it would be immense. Nuno gives us way more than happy memories.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly, you say he threw an FA Cup Semi Final away. How many managers have got us there in the last 4 decades?

“The bloke did wonders” - you ain’t wrong.

Nuno’s teams don’t score a lot of goals. What quantifies a lot of goals? How many would you like? Do you care about how many we concede?

In recent weeks we’d have to score 2/3/4 goals per game to win. Beale is averaging 1.5 GPG this season with QPR.

There’s this narrative flying around that people need to let it go, and that they’re being a little pathetic about an ex-partner. I couldn’t disagree more.

If Beale doesn’t get a good start, Molineux will be toxic. If Nuno got a poor start support would still be there, and it would be immense. Nuno gives us way more than happy memories.

While i'm not a fan of the appointment of Beale, i'm not totally against it. Its the biggest risk i can think of we have taken besides Connor. Its either going to be a spectacular success and they will be getting the next Potter, or he is going to get us relegated and he will be sacked. I'm not sure at the moment its a risk worth taking.

I agree, Molineux will be toxic if he doesnt get a good start, but i dont think he will be the target, it will be Jeff and Fosun.

T

TheConcourse

While i'm not a fan of the appointment of Beale, i'm not totally against it. Its the biggest risk i can think of we have taken besides Connor. Its either going to be a spectacular success and they will be getting the next Potter, or he is going to get us relegated and he will be sacked. I'm not sure at the moment its a risk worth taking.

I agree, Molineux will be toxic if he doesnt get a good start, but i dont think he will be the target, it will be Jeff and Fosun.
Yeah, I agree, and btw if Gallardo or Lopetegui were available then I wouldn’t bring Nuno back either. It’s not Nuno at all costs.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, and btw if Gallardo or Lopetegui were available then I wouldn’t bring Nuno back either. It’s not Nuno at all costs.

I love Nuno to bits, but i'm not convinced he is the right choice tbh. I think he would do the job we need him to do this season, but beyond that i dont know. Everyone have become so obsessed with turning us into a free scoring, attacking football team. Never going to happen imo unless we manager to unearth 3 or 4 absolute superstars.

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
Yep I've looked at the wrong season so it is all *******s, so I'll remove as it's wrong

I think we'd won 6 from 15 too in 12/13.
So a slightly better beginning for Beale but understand the your point

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the choice the two geniuses at WV1 came up with was more Bosz or Beale, so they've probably gone for the slightly better of the two options at least, even though that shortlist is ridiculous.

I think Nuno signed too big a deal in Saudi and would have therefore meant big compensation being paid out, even if Shi would have been capable of swallowing his pride and mending personal bridges, which I don't believe he has in him.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Facts?…..

“A week ago Beale wouldn't have got 10% of the vote. People are willing to gamble the house on someone they didn't know the first thing about last week on the back of a couple of YouTube videos”
We have 8 wins to go by in the Championship. Many people who support him have said he comes across, as he knows what he is doing from his videos, For me, this shows more about today's society than anything else.
We could have a manager with a record of being able to cope in the Premier League, against one who has 15 games experience in the Championship. If you would ask any Premier League fan to make a choice, between a manager with hardly no managerial experience, but lots of videos and a manager who had recently got your best results in 40 years, there would almost definitely be a landslide to the man who had the proven experience.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beale should be allowed to continue his promising career with safer-to-fail environments like QPR.

Nuno, but better still neither

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I didn't really want him to come back in the end but I've voted Nuno.

Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't. Especially when you're in the relegation zone.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted this is currently 50-50. A week ago Beale wouldn't have got 10% of the vote. People are willing to gamble the house on someone they didn't know the first thing about last week on the back of a couple of YouTube videos

It's preposterous that we're even looking at someone so inexperienced. I'd rather we appoint someone with pedigree and watch Beale get promoted with QPR and get his big move to a CL club in a couple of years than risk everything on an unknown quantity

But hey, what do I care, I only worry about the future of the club and about seeing all the hard work of the Fosun era up to now getting undone
My guess is that many, like myself, are trying to escape an overriding apathy about the path Wolves have been taking for a year or two now.. and Beale maybe feels the more exciting option.

I personally would love a return to the first two seasons in the Prem under Nuno.. but I am not convinced he can do that with this set of players.

I’ve still selected Nuno, but I really am on the fence.. I’ve chosen the safe choice, but I am not surprised so many are choosing Beale.. it could be a great move. I’ve just lost any confidence in the club getting a gamble right currently..

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The disrespect on here towards the greatest manager of our modern era just blows my brain.

A relatively iffy few months during the height of a global pandemic, and it’s like the best 3-4 years of most of our Wolves supporting lifetimes never happened.
I take your point Sedg, but the iffy months were at the end of his tenure and he showed no signs of being able to turn it around. The football was horrible to watch and he came out with the same post match platitudes week after week. Yes, there was the pandemic, but it didn't just affect Wolves. Did it affect Nuno more than others, quite likely yes, with a distant family etc. Has he done anything since Wolves to show he can adapt his style of football...no. Would the players want him back, quite possibly yes, but is it what they or us NEED? I am not so sure.
I know nothing about Beale either, so can't comment.
I don't think a return to Nuno is what we should go for, I can only see it ending badly.
Tbh if there is no outstanding candidate, I would leave the caretakers in charge and work hard on persuading targets over the world Cup break , The last 2 games have shown me that at least Davis has got a chance of the team playing more positively, and from where we were before, bar his midfield subs timing and number against Palace I don't think he has done a lot wrong. He has certainly improved the performances from under Lage.
Sorry for the long reply.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As great as Nuno was for us for a period of time I just don't get why people would want him back after some of **** he served up in his final season and towards the end of the previous season.

I'm not saying Beale is the answer but as things stand Nuno is certainly not considering how goal shy we are. This whole romanticism about a Nuno return is just plain weird to me it ended badly when we parted company with him.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am truly amazed that Beale has 56% of the vote. It's like the forum's collective excitement for a new flavour of ice cream has overruled common sense in the last 24 hours. Our goal this season is surely to get to 40 points - I'm not saying necessarily Nuno is the best option out of the many coaches available, but between him and rando from QPR, there is only one man we can trust to deliver that. We are presuming that Jeff Shi knows what he's doing, which as we should know by now is far from a given.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
what a choice! it`s like asking which eye would you like me to poke pins in, or do you want to go and watch the vile or the stripey lot. Admittedly that may not be the definitive choice but is this how low we have fallen or preparing for the championship? Now don`t get me wrong i am a Wolves fan and i will support whoever rocks up, but there is any number of candidates who could manage our great club,and at this moment we need an inspired appointment not a novice(although if it is beale i am happy to be proven wrong)

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the vocal Jeff Shi is a **** going around....this isn't exactly going to be an unpopular appointment? A lot of people making a fair amount of noise catastrophising, but don't represent the majority?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For all the vocal Jeff Shi is a **** going around....this isn't exactly going to be an unpopular appointment? A lot of people making a fair amount of noise catastrophising, but don't represent the majority?
I think that many (most?) folk may have doubts but are on the fence. If he gets the post and the first few results are good that is one thing. If they are poor though....

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would never denigrate what Nuno did, but am also massively against him coming back. 2nd time managers never reach the heights of their previous reign and he'd quite probably ruin his legacy here if he tried and failed.
I also think Beale is a massive risk but if given the choice would opt for him over Nuno.
People are complaining about others using opinions as facts, but its what we're all doing about this appointments chance of success. If(and its a massive one) Beale was to come in and succeed we're all going to be eating a big slice of humble pie.
I would honestly much rather someone with at least a few years management experience, but it doesn't look like we're going to get it. So will get behind Mick and hope to whatever deity is looking down that he at least doesn't get us relegated this year!
While l disagree that is a well reasoned position that l can respect. Whoever gets the post l hope that all fans want them to do well

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well Beale got under 40% when it was a choice between him any any new manager. What Shi has done, is given us almost no choice and shown that he isn't prepared to get an experienced, proven manager, who would want some say which players we would sign in the future.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago it's safe to say that most Wolves had never heard of Beale let alone wanted him as our manager.

I understand seeking potential but rather too many posts smack of desperately clutching at straws for positives when there are precious few. A Beale appointment would really risk crash and burn.
I don't agree. I think failure won't look like relegation, it will look like bottom half. I don't think the situation we are in is half as bad as people are making out.
No goals against Bournemouth and Fulham was a damning indictment of the end of Bruno's reign. We got lucky against Forest, but we've still looked a threat these last couple of games. I expect it to continue, new manager or no new manager.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While l disagree that is a well reasoned position that l can respect. Whoever gets the post l hope that all fans want them to do well

Of course they do. My argument never was, if Beale is good or bad, but that nobody knows and it is ridiculous to risk our Premier League survival on a novice.
I want him to be successful, but my opinion is, that Shi is not bringing an experienced safe pair of hands in, when the team look like they are in a relegation fight.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't agree. I think failure won't look like relegation, it will look like bottom half. I don't think the situation we are in is half as bad as people are making out.
No goals against Bournemouth and Fulham was a damning indictment of the end of Bruno's reign. We got lucky against Forest, but we've still looked a threat these last couple of games. I expect it to continue, new manager or no new manager.
I hope that you are correct. I fear that is a triumph of expectation over reality.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
all fans will want our manager to prosper,but respectfully if it is Beale that is one hell of a roll of the dice with our immediate future!!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well Beale got under 40% when it was a choice between him any any new manager. What Shi has done, is given us almost no choice and shown that he isn't prepared to get an experienced, proven manager, who would want some say which players we would sign in the future.
We haven't had a manager that hasn't had some say in the signings. Bruno wanted Hwang for example; people just choose the good ones as being the managers choice and the bad ones as being thrust upon them, to try to turn whoever is in charge into some sort of demigod. It is splitting.
And for all the talk of players being signed over their heads....would you go back to Jackett? I think that was the last time our club was run like that. Don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt bother voting.

I can see the pro's and con's for both if it genuinely was a two horse race.

How a Manager with a total of 16 games experience can be preferred to the most successful manager for 50 years at such a critical time says more about us, the Mix, than them.

It simply reinforces my belief that you simply have to laugh at everything that gets posted here.

None of its real, is it.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope that you are correct. I fear that is a triumph of expectation over reality.
Reality is since he's gone we lost by one goal away from home to Palace. Beaten comfortably by Chelsea. Beat Forest. Which is what you would expect from an average premiership side.

portugamerifinn

Groupie
Reaction score
I am truly amazed that Beale has 56% of the vote. It's like the forum's collective excitement for a new flavour of ice cream has overruled common sense in the last 24 hours. Our goal this season is surely to get to 40 points - I'm not saying necessarily Nuno is the best option out of the many coaches available, but between him and rando from QPR, there is only one man we can trust to deliver that. We are presuming that Jeff Shi knows what he's doing, which as we should know by now is far from a given.

I love Nuno and do trust that he would keep Wolves safe . . . but I'm having flashbacks to the worst of the 20/21 season watching the current team.

Wolves really need a fresh mind/approach/style at this point because I just don't think the current first team is set up for success (i.e., to actually win PL matches with any regularity), and I fear that we could see more of the same if Nuno returned.

Also, every manager is a "new flavor of ice cream" at some point, including the likes of Pep and Klopp. If people who have coached with Beale and played for him at Chelsea and Liverpool and Rangers and Aston Villa are saying he's special, I'm willing to take a chance on him even though he's more likely to be the next replacement level PL manager rather than the next Sir Alex.

I'd rather take a chance on someone that could be great rather than settle for the known, safe, closer to average manager. And it's not like this group needs a miracle worker at this point, Wolves have 27 matches to gather about 30 points and are 3-5 points behind a bunch of uninspiring teams that are mid table.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Imagine if someone had told you after that 1-1 Olympiacos game in the Europa League (March 2020), just before lockdown started, that a poll taken barely two years later would have Nuno slightly behind Michael Beale in popularity for Wolves manager. Crazy times.

Last edited:

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't agree. I think failure won't look like relegation, it will look like bottom half. I don't think the situation we are in is half as bad as people are making out. No goals against Bournemouth and Fulham was a damning indictment of the end of Bruno's reign. We got lucky against Forest, but we've still looked a threat these last couple of games. I expect it to continue, new manager or no new manager.
I don't think we posed any particular threat against Forest, who were as poor an opponent as we're likely to face. I don't remember Henderson making a save, the only shot on goal I can think of was the penalty. As you say, we got lucky - or rather we relied on Sa (his penalty stops have earned us three points already).

Game before against Chelsea, we were truly rancid and their changed side could have tonked us 5 or 6 if they could be bothered to get out of second gear. TBH, I don't think we were particularly good on balance against Palace either, certainly not in the second half. First half was pretty good though and if both sides had scored their chances, it would be something like 3-1 at H/T.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine if someone had told you after that 1-1 Olympiacos game in the Europa League (March 2020), just before lockdown started, that a poll taken barely two years later would have Nuno slightly behind Michael Beale in popularity for Wolves manager. Incidentally, we managed to draw that away game after being down to 10 men from the 28th minute (Semedo sent off). Crazy times.
fools

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Honestly we could have Pep in charge and we'd still be in a relegation battle. We haven't had a fit for purpose strike force for two YEARS and the chickens are coming home to roost. That won't change until at least January. So we have to accept we are in a relegation battle and dig in. So the answer to this question is simple. It has to be Nuno as Beale has precisely zero management experience of that. Anyone who thinks a manager can turn this squad into world beaters with our current forwards is truly delusional. The writing has been on the wall for almost the entirety of this calendar year.

Back
Top Bottom