Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Mendes has talked to city for him and he now has his heart set on the move, which effectively takes away any leverage Wolves have since it'll be worse for us to have an unhappy player in the first team.

No wonder we will probably be selling for a **** price.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference is what’s coming the other way.

Nobody really cares that we’re selling Nunes. They care that we’re going to replace him with some nobody for £8m.

I don’t care if Wolves flipped players every summer if there was some kind of considered approach. There isn’t.
Exactly this.

Nunes was instrumental to how we play - a midfielder who is strong on progressive carries. Our vulnerability of having only one player like him in the squad was not lost on Lopetegui who wanted Scott as a deputy/other option. Lopetegui liked his versatility because he could essentially fill two squad places where we are short on options.

Now we are losing him, so we will have no player like him and a squad that has spent all pre-season developing a style which leans heavily on him/his type of player. Which leaves us either requiring Gary O'Neil, a bloke who has barely managed, and a youth coach from Liverpool academy, needing to develop a new style of play with no pre-season to experiment, or relying on our hit and miss scouting team, who are working to various different 'plans' depending on the story the idiots in the suits are giving them this week, to unearth a player of a similar profile, character and level of quality for a fraction of the price. We are trying to fix our parachute whilst hurtling towards the ground.

It isn't even just the loss of Nunes. It's the optics of it. Yes, there was probably already an agreement for Nunes to go if a bid came in, but why has the bid come in now? Clubs are taking note of what's going on at Wolves. Just like when we jumped in for Edwards at Luton all those years ago, other clubs are seeing Wolves as a club that players won't want to stick around at. The message losing Nunes sends to the market, but also our other top players, is resounding - get out while your reputation is still relatively intact, otherwise it's another year battling relegation under a coach who, let's face it, isn't going to teach you anything that isn't in the UEFA coaching manual.

This sale would mark, not only the end of the project with zero chance of a return for supporters, but the same for the rest of the football world. All hope is lost - thank God I didn't take up my place at the top of the waiting list this season, and I feel very sorry for those of you that did because you've been exploited by liars, cheats and frauds.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like we’ll have to let him leave if his hearts set on the move to City.
Bit of an Adama type for us imo, shows flashes of brilliance but also can be pretty anonymous in some games too. If we make a profit, I don’t think it’s a disaster sale, providing we use most if not all of the fee to bring in a couple of players. Maybe drop Cunha deeper into Nunes’s role, as he can certainly take players on and use Hwang as one of the forwards due to him looking the most likely to score?
I couldn't give a damn what nunes wants. If they don't bid what we want then he stays.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I couldn't give a damn what nunes wants. If they don't bid what we want then he stays.
Wes sold Jota at the first ask to Liverpool with the deal being horribly structured and also paying them £10m the other way for Hoever

We loaned out our old captain as a favour so he could play games for a relegation rival rival to help himself stay in the England setup.

We loaned out Adama for nothing, & with no protection for ourselves considering he had very little time left on his contract, again as a favour so he could have a shot at playing for his boyhood team again

History shows don’t hold players ransom like Brighton, we instead bend over backwards for them

Last edited:

Snarlingwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
That’s 50 million euros, ie 42.73 million pounds!!
Tell them to swivel.
They reportedly offered 80 million for Paquetta(?)!!! and now it seems they’re putting presssure on us to sell for such a relatively low price?

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering the 10% owed to Sporting, if we sell for €50m as rumoured then we'd likely be breaking even on Nunes, if not making a slight loss.

FOSUN are increasingly the perfect example of how to not run a football club.
the 10% is on the profit we make, sell him for €50m / £43m, then we make around 3m profit, sporting get 300k of that

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

Nunes was instrumental to how we play - a midfielder who is strong on progressive carries. Our vulnerability of having only one player like him in the squad was not lost on Lopetegui who wanted Scott as a deputy/other option. Lopetegui liked his versatility because he could essentially fill two squad places where we are short on options.

Now we are losing him, so we will have no player like him and a squad that has spent all pre-season developing a style which leans heavily on him/his type of player. Which leaves us either requiring Gary O'Neil, a bloke who has barely managed, and a youth coach from Liverpool academy, needing to develop a new style of play with no pre-season to experiment, or relying on our hit and miss scouting team, who are working to various different 'plans' depending on the story the idiots in the suits are giving them this week, to unearth a player of a similar profile, character and level of quality for a fraction of the price. We are trying to fix our parachute whilst hurtling towards the ground.

It isn't even just the loss of Nunes. It's the optics of it. Yes, there was probably already an agreement for Nunes to go if a bid came in, but why has the bid come in now? Clubs are taking note of what's going on at Wolves. Just like when we jumped in for Edwards at Luton all those years ago, other clubs are seeing Wolves as a club that players won't want to stick around at. The message losing Nunes sends to the market, but also our other top players, is resounding - get out while your reputation is still relatively intact, otherwise it's another year battling relegation under a coach who, let's face it, isn't going to teach you anything that isn't in the UEFA coaching manual.

This sale would mark, not only the end of the project with zero chance of a return for supporters, but the same for the rest of the football world. All hope is lost - thank God I didn't take up my place at the top of the waiting list this season, and I feel very sorry for those of you that did because you've been exploited by liars, cheats and frauds.

Nail on the head with all of this.

Sadly, I think the biggest factor if we stay in the Premier League this season will be luck.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF (big if due to not knowing if the money would be re-invested) but if selling Nunes allowed us to bring in Henderson, Elvedi, Brownhill and Antonio/Adams would that make us stronger or weaker as a team?

HiHo

Reaction score
As much as us fans just want to buy players and have the best team possible, the club is ultimately a business. Fosun may not be running it as we see fit, but balancing the books and not being in debt is important - look at clubs that have folded or had points deducted (appreciate we’re not really seeing this in modern Prem) but still worth remembering what Sir Jack did.
We’re in a transitional phase which isn’t particularly enjoyable, but all clubs have them. Selling Nunes for profit may be in the clubs’ best interest given losses we’ll have made from players leaving on free (I think Traore was £18m, Jiminez £35m) plus lossed from depreciating players.
Personally I think Nunes is a great player, but he’s inconsistent and ill-disciplined. He could be a top player but he isn’t there yet. I don’t think losing him would have as big effect on the team as say Jota for example. Obviously some cheaper back-up players would be nice from some of the profit. I know they wouldn’t necessarily be as strong, but in terms of rebuilding we need to make money where we can and re-invest - build back up to being able to afford bigger names. The downside of course is more mediocrity and the fact we need to try and stay in the Prem, but lets face it Fosun aren’t going out and spanking £150m on a few players anytime soon so we need to generate funds somehow!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as us fans just want to buy players and have the best team possible, the club is ultimately a business. Fosun may not be running it as we see fit, but balancing the books and not being in debt is important - look at clubs that have folded or had points deducted (appreciate we’re not really seeing this in modern Prem) but still worth remembering what Sir Jack did.
We’re in a transitional phase which isn’t particularly enjoyable, but all clubs have them. Selling Nunes for profit may be in the clubs’ best interest given losses we’ll have made from players leaving on free (I think Traore was £18m, Jiminez £35m) plus lossed from depreciating players.
Personally I think Nunes is a great player, but he’s inconsistent and ill-disciplined. He could be a top player but he isn’t there yet. I don’t think losing him would have as big effect on the team as say Jota for example. Obviously some cheaper back-up players would be nice from some of the profit. I know they wouldn’t necessarily be as strong, but in terms of rebuilding we need to make money where we can and re-invest - build back up to being able to afford bigger names. The downside of course is more mediocrity and the fact we need to try and stay in the Prem, but lets face it Fosun aren’t going out and spanking £150m on a few players anytime soon so we need to generate funds somehow!

We’re not reinvesting. Fosun are using the money to improve the clubs finances to get a higher sale price, so in effect they will take the sale proceeds when the club itself is sold.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FOSUN have really ****ed us now since the summer of 2019. Poor decision after poor decision. Lack of ambition and forward thinking. This one pretty much just takes the **** though.

If we sell him for anything less than £55m then we may aswell all just give up now. I mean what is the point.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its ridiculous if we are considering the lowly offer City have made, I understand he hasn't set the world alight since joining but neither has the guy at west ham they wanted for 80 million, it should be what we demand at least,

We are poor at getting value for our players whilst the like of Brighton/West Ham have robbed clubs blind.

How much would Jota/Neves/Nunes have gone for if they had played for the media darlings Brighton?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes but now people have acknowledged that the money won’t be re-invested. So if it’s a choice between Nunes and no one then of course people don’t want him sold.

The difference is what’s coming the other way.

Nobody really cares that we’re selling Nunes. They care that we’re going to replace him with some nobody for £8m.

I don’t care if Wolves flipped players every summer if there was some kind of considered approach. There isn’t.

Wouldn’t feel as desperate if it wasn’t against a backdrop of others going and we were likely to get a decent replacement.
Maybe I’m naive, but I do think the majority would be re invested.
How well that would turn out is hard to know…

Could we get in that Jota who just left Celtic for Saudi, but is now rumoured to be available? Him and Elvedi for Nunes wouldn’t be terrible? Money left to upgrade Sa??

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It explains why Shi returned earlier than expected from China. Hobbs was being too good at rebuffing bids and interest. Shi comes back Friday and by Monday we’re selling players for about as much as we bought them for - no inflated prices.

I’m waiting for the classified scores to read out Wolverhampton Wanderers R 0 Any opposition plenty.

Shi had the brass neck to write an open letter to fans and basically lie. 2 weeks later we are a complete and utter shambles. Unfortunately some people bought the lies and some local journalists believe every bit of spin they are told.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Could we get in that Jota who just left Celtic for Saudi, but is now rumoured to be available? Him and Elvedi for Nunes wouldn’t be terrible? Money left to upgrade Sa??
Extremely Naive.

Next you’ll be saying you believed Shi’s letter about FFP being a benign problem.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That’s actually not a bad call on how to reinvest the money. I do think Elvedi will happen should Nunes indeed be sold. Ex Celtic Jota on a free would fit the model of business this summer if we could persuade him to come. I think more likely is for City to loan us one of the young players we’re apparently interested in to sweeten the Nunes deal. Replacing Sa is certainly desirable, but I think wholly dependent on another club taking Sa first.

But the majority of the cash will not be reinvested. Fosun want the cash, and will let Wolves spend only the bare minimum to try and stay up.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully we can at least negotiate a couple of players coming the other way as it is so late in the window. Phillips on loan and McAtee on a perm.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
Regards price, our performances simply do not make players look good. Yes, we want top dollar for every player, but outsiders looking in aren't seeing good stats, even from our high ticket players..

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
Nunes leaving may not be a bad thing. ONLY if we can spend the money!!!!

Very talented player

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
I thought the same on Saturday, it looked like he was trying to get sent off. That said, he looked unhappy and crotchety all game.
I also said after the game that it seemed a bit weird but he appeared to be trying to get himself sent off. Only he knows the truth but definitely a strange coincidence with what is now going on with the likely transfer.
More concerned with what will happen to the money if he goes rather than losing him as such because he strikes me as someone that will sulk if he doesn't get the move now (purely my take from watching how he is during games as some he appears really good and others as if can't be *****).
Really starting to lose interest in football after the sorry mess we have created this summer and very rarely come on here or read what is going on anymore after so many years of what can only be seen as Wolves obsessed.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was it the story in the E&S said these past few days - none of our big players are for sale, and only inflated bids would be considered? If we were to turn round then within a few days and sell Nunes for little more than we paid it would be truly incredible. The most Jeff Shi turn of events humanly possible.

I'd really hoped after Utd that we'd avoid sales and perhaps bring in one or two to give O'Neill a fighting chance, but tbh deep down I kind of expected we'd end up flogging a couple. Being generally glass half full, I'll probably start to think positively about us improving the squad if it happens, only to get shafted again in all probability.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was it the story in the E&S said these past few days - none of our big players are for sale, and only inflated bids would be considered. If we were to turn round then within a few days and sell Nunes for little more than we paid it would be truly incredible. The most Jeff Shi turn of events humanly possible.
If we don't will you give them any credit?

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this.

The "bid" (because there are conflicting reports that one has even been made) is because of Kev getting injured not "what's going on at Wolves"

TheTwoPigeons

Groupie
Reaction score
People are mad if they think we're going to reinvest this incredibly low amout of money in todays value in new players.

We couldn't sign a player on free transfer before this... this won't change much in the current market when Scott a championship player goes for more than half of the cost of Nunes to premier league champions and mega rich Man City.

If Nunes goes I'll be out for this season, can't think of a worse example of how to destroy a club that seemed to be destined for good things a few years ago.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we don't will you give them any credit?
Who the E&S or Fosun? Credit for what? Not selling Nunes for little more than we paid? I mean I'd like to think I'm generally quite balanced, been pretty reasonable about Fosun over the years, but they deserve pelters for this summer and the poor decisions that have brought us here.

*Get a great deal for Nunes, Semedo etc and bring in some quality, then yeah I likely wouldn't criticise them as much as if they don't do. I think that goes without saying though really doesn't it?

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The "bid" (because there are conflicting reports that one has even been made) is because of Kev getting injured not "what's going on at Wolves"
The low bid for Nunes after Paqueta as they look for a long term replacement for De Bruyne is because they believe they have a chance of getting him for a good price, because of what is going on at Wolves

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's true that Man City haven't actually made an offer which means we can't have accepted one how has Nunes already agreed a deal with City ?

The UK journalists say no offer, Romano says an offer made and City expect to close the deal in 24-48hrs. You decide which you trust more.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
IF (big if due to not knowing if the money would be re-invested) but if selling Nunes allowed us to bring in Henderson, Elvedi, Brownhill and Antonio/Adams would that make us stronger or weaker as a team?
Assuming for one moment, and it is an assumption which l seriously doubt, a reasonable proportion of the funds were reinvested then a question arises: Would any of those players, unless perhaps seeking a last payday, want to come to our shambles of a club?

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can Nunes have already agreed a deal with Man City if we haven't accepted any offer from them ?
His agent, our mate Mendes will have spoken with them.

City - 'Jorge if he signs with us we'll double his wages'.

Mendes - 'City said if you move there they'd double your wages. Would you be up for that Mattheus?

Mattheus - 'How rainy does it generally get in Manchester?'

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can Nunes have already agreed a deal with Man City if we haven't accepted any offer from them ?

Because Mendes is his agent, and will have those conversations on his behalf. Happens all the time. We’ve apparently done this with Elvedi, who has yet to sign, and with Scott, who’s since gone to Bournemouth.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
Watching this unfold is depressing. What must the remaining players be thinking if we are selling our best players and there are no incomings. Not good moving forward and trying to keep us in the league.

In my opinion Fosun are pulling out on the project and want to recoup as much money as they can with a squad of players who may just escape relegation.

Back
Top Bottom