Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would this sale sort out our FFP issues? Despite minimal profit, I assume FFP-wise our books would look much better with a €50million outgoing to offset the 5 x 10 million of his amortisation?*

*I have no idea what I’m talking about.
Nobody on here does…except me of course :tearsofjoy:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What’s weird is people want to keep Nunes and see us relegated. He doesn’t suit our style of play. Take the money and reinvest. Scored one worldy and the odd good game time we let go and take the profit. Mendes done us well here

Key we use the money though.
He's potentially brilliant but we massively overpaid. If we can make a cool £15-20m I'm a year, it's good business.

I'd be tempted to play Cunha in his role, he tends to drop very deep anyway.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scouting? He’s running the club now!!
Was it Hobbs who found him? I wasn't sure.

I mean that was a positive move for Wolves. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to see how much better than Sellars he is due to lack of funds.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Brighton had a comprehensive recruitment plan
But our fan base wouldn’t tolerate what Brighton have continued to do. If they are not a £30+ million target etc. I believe that some of our youth (appreciate they have now been loaned out) are good enough to break through but they have a bad game and our they are slated.

floydstreet

Reaction score
A huge fee reinvested worth it
A huge fee not invested is hugely dangerous

On a football level
His ability is carrying and dribbling

This is one attribute we have plenty of within the team. Hwang, Cunha, Neto, RAN

In fact I thought on Saturday one of our challenges was that our only form of attack was running with the ball. We had do need to work on the ability to pass and move also. So on a footballing level we could replace with that kind of midfielder that can move the ball around etc.

But it only works for a huge fee, reinvested and first shout on City’s loans

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a sacrificial lamb in their end game, IMO.
Cheap to sack and replace, if new owners step in.
Maybe a prospective new owner would only consider a purchase, if Lopetegui's and his backroom teams huge wage bill was off the books???
Why buy a sinking ship?

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seriously, I am only just catching up on the Nunes to City rumour.

And the Semedo to united fantasy - £36m I will dive him there myself and buy him breakfast on the way.

It all sounds desperate doesn't it?

Nunes flatters a bit, brilliant at times without controlling games but he is one you would expect to have a big impact on keeping us up. So it's a very big loss especially for the reported £43m (50m euros). We will show a bit of FFP 'profit', but will they spend any of the money.

I just can't see what Fosun gain from seeing wolves relegated. I have heard all the rumours that they are in deep trouble, but they are stretched to the tune of billions not a few millions here and there.

I would be staggered if United are paying £36m for Sendeo, if they get that someone deserves a knighthood.

If they get say £50m for Nunes (fairly poor in today's market) then you must spend some of it - Elvedi and Brownhill would not be bad signings for £20m.

I know people get a bit sniffy about Brownhill, but he has been a top championship player for the last few years. He could add a bit of bite and is a solid pro.

If they did also sell Podence and Semedo for another £45m (it's just not happening) the recruitment team will have targets no doubt, but at this stage of the window we will be into 2nd and 3rd level choices (like losing out on Scott).

Let's just see how it all pans out, but it is looking like we are making life hard for ourselves.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finally somebody talking sense and not emotionally ranting about how Fosun are the worst thing to happen to us
As a fan of the NHL, I'm scared what some of of the people here would do to themselves if they had to go through what I'm going through right now. Our former GM (I guess Hobbs/Shi in this scenario) left us in such a bad spot salary cap wise that our current GM is going to have to spend 3-4 years fixing it before we can even dream of being competitive, lol.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I believe Nunes doesn't want to be here and tbh hasn't wanted to be here since he arrived. Especially now that JL has gone. I accept he's put more into it than Guedes, but that wasn't hard, but I've said for a while you wouldn't want him with you in the trenches. I just don't see him slogging it out in a real relegation scrap; just compare him to Neves who would have died for Wolves. I think we have to accept we're in a bigger mess week by week and will Nunes going make things immeasurably worse? Imo no. We're in a relegation fight possibly already and we have bigger and better street fighters than him. If he wants to go and we can get a shed load for him then **** off.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more I think about this the more I believe Nunes doesn't want to be here and tbh hasn't wanted to be here since he arrived. Especially now that JL has gone. I accept he's put more into it than Guedes, but that wasn't hard, but I've said for a while you wouldn't want him with you in the trenches. I just don't see him slogging it out in a real relegation scrap; just compare him to Neves who would have died for Wolves. I think we have to accept we're in a bigger mess week by week and will Nunes going make things immeasurably worse? Imo no. We're in a relegation fight possibly already and we have bigger and better street fighters than him. If he wants to go and we can get a shed load for him then **** off.
The thing is NNW, who is the "we" you refer to regarding the shed load?
Do you honestly believe the club will see any/any sizeable amount of any incoming from his sale?

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
Buying some cheap unknown is not exactly what Brighton do. They have a recruitment strategy they have developed for several years. It's not just what you do, it's who is doing it. Every club in the land buys cheap hoping to find gems. Most don't succeed. At least, they don't become top 8 PL clubs following that strategy.
I appreciate that I know very well how brighton do it and last year we were very much fishing in the same pond, Brighton also have a very strict wage structure hence why they accept losing these players after making a huge profit.
Difference is we’ve been spending big on well known talent and recently it’s not worked as quick as we’d want.
Brighton have been doing it for a few years now and have made plenty of mistakes although when those mistakes are under £10m it’s not a huge deal.

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve spent more than we’ve made on transfers pretty much every season. That’s unsustainable in our position. However I’ll say it again, why wasn’t Kilman sold? Nobody seems to be able to answer that one
Maybe he's on £50 a week

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do I live under a rock? No. The rumour from the start was that we needed to make a 50 million profit before we could spend for FFP reasons.

And who cares if 90 millions has been sold? Does that mean Fosun should just keep throwing money into the pot and not care how it's spent?

And 90 million vs 0? You're stretching things so ridiculously far.

We've sold (Euros) 104 million and bought 61 million this window. Last year we sold 62 million. If you add bought this year's outgoings and last year's outings, we still spent more on incomings last year alone.

Since the beginning of last year - we've bought 238 million and sold 166 million. Even if Nunes and Semedo sell for the rumoured fees, we'd only have sold 14 million more than we've bought in the last 12 months.

The biggest problem Fosun has made is by not removing Shi from his spot. But with the success Wolves have had in the last 8 years, I can see why they are being hesitant.
Rumour being the key word there, many people on here know that FFP isn’t the only thing at play here and our FFP problems are nowhere near as dire as the likes of the E&S are reporting.

And I don’t see how 90 million vs 0 is stretching it? We have added 2 free transfers, one being a third choice goalkeeper, and lost Neves, Adama, Raul, Collins, Moutinho and Costa from our first team squad last year.

I don’t really understand what you mean by Fosun throwing money in and not knowing how it’s spent? They run the club, the make the decisions? If they sold the club tomorrow they’d have had a fun play around with a football club for a few years, raised their profile in Europe and walked away with a profit. They aren’t doing us some big favour here.

Also, Shi is nothing but a mouth piece for the owners, an incompetent one but a mouthpiece all the same. Removing or not makes little difference.

You may think Fosun are some wonderful organisation that have brought nothing but joy but unfortunately, having seen the cost of my ticket almost double in the last 4 years, the facilities of the stadium see no improvement or investment, and dire football on the pitch while the club stagnates. I don’t share the same view as you.

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a fan of the NHL, I'm scared what some of of the people here would do to themselves if they had to go what I'm going through right now. Our former GM (I guess Hobbs/Shi in this scenario) left us in such a bad spot salary cap wise that our current GM is going to have to spend 3-4 years fixing it before we can even dream of being competitive, lol.
That sucks.. but at least you won’t be relegated into a hellhole league.. and you know with the drafting cycles that you will be very competitive again soon.

I like the way US sports does salary caps and drafts tbh.. everyone has their day. (Unless you’re a Browns fan).

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, you’re probably right. The fans feel like they’re desensitised since the final season under Nuno.

Boredom and apathy reigns at Molineux. How sad.

That's definitely true. Maybe it's just around me, but I also think many fans are so wrapped up in their phones during games, the actual match almost becomes secondary. The days of being completely immersed in nothing but 90 minutes of football don't really exist anymore, which kills the passion and atmosphere. I remember games in the 90s and early 2000s where it felt like every fixture was hostile and angry (in a good way) Abusing Danny Mills non stop etc. It was brilliant - Those are few and far between now. And my point is that Molineux really misses that. I'd almost guarantee there'd be next to no real reaction if we've got 0 points by the Liverpool game and lose heavily on the day.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People are losing their heads over the possibility of selling someone who most thought wasnt up to much last year and used the price tag to attack Jeff and Fosun. Now it looks like we might actually get our money back (plus a bit more perhaps) for a bloke who still isn’t quite at the races, the same people are still losing their ****.
If anyone could guarantee me the Nunes that played against United every week, then I’d agree that we’d be mad to sell. However, he’s not a consistent performer and as Saturday showed, he can be a liability.
All depends on the fee.
Yeah you’re right, just get rid, better not to have anyone at all than someone the best manager of all time fancies.

Who needs players anyway? Players are inconsistent.

The Wolf Of Wombourne

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As a fan of the NHL, I'm scared what some of of the people here would do to themselves if they had to go through what I'm going through right now. Our former GM (I guess Hobbs/Shi in this scenario) left us in such a bad spot salary cap wise that our current GM is going to have to spend 3-4 years fixing it before we can even dream of being competitive, lol.
It’s not really comparable though is it, your NHL team won’t get relegated.

T

TheConcourse

And the Semedo to united fantasy - £36m I will dive him there myself and buy him breakfast on the way.

Nunes flatters a bit, brilliant at times without controlling games but he is one you would expect to have a big impact on keeping us up. So it's a very big loss especially for the reported £43m (50m euros). We will show a bit of FFP 'profit', but will they spend any of the money.

I just can't see what Fosun gain from seeing wolves relegated. I have heard all the rumours that they are in deep trouble, but they are stretched to the tune of billions not a few millions here and there.

I would be staggered if United are paying £36m for Sendeo, if they get that someone deserves a knighthood.

If they get say £50m for Nunes (fairly poor in today's market) then you must spend some of it - Elvedi and Brownhill would not be bad signings for £20m.

I know people get a bit sniffy about Brownhill, but he has been a top championship player for the last few years. He could add a bit of bite and is a solid pro.

If they did also sell Podence and Semedo for another £45m (it's just not happening) the recruitment team will have targets no doubt, but at this stage of the window we will be into 2nd and 3rd level choices (like losing out on Scott).

Let's just see how it all pans out, but it is looking like we are making life hard for ourselves.
Sorry, but I find it so depressing how Nuno had us knocking on the door of the top 6 for two consecutive seasons, and now we're talking about Josh Brownhill replacing our potentially world-class midfielder so he can 'add a bit of bite'.

Not having a dig at you, you're absolutely right, and your analysis is correct, but my god it's sobering.

We’ve spent more than we’ve made on transfers pretty much every season. That’s unsustainable in our position. However I’ll say it again, why wasn’t Kilman sold? Nobody seems to be able to answer that one
They would have sold Kilman if £40m had come in. No question. Jeff is probably scared that he might lose City's attention if he ramps up the asking price for Nunes.

We've spent more, but the strategy has been disgusting. Wage bill stripped, playing squad stripped, management costs stripped - it's pointing one way.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But our fan base wouldn’t tolerate what Brighton have continued to do. If they are not a £30+ million target etc. I believe that some of our youth (appreciate they have now been loaned out) are good enough to break through but they have a bad game and our they are slated.
We have just sold two top youth prospects to city and newcastle. They are even stripping that

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another point re selling Nunes, not only would we leave ourselves with less midfield depth if we don't invest on the back of this - There's a chance we could be without Lemina, RAN & Boubacar for our games in Jan/Feb vs Brighton, Utd, Chelsea & Brentford due to AFCON

Gabon still have to qualify for the tournament so there's a slim chance Lemina could hopefully be with us, but it's not looking promising regardless that's for sure!

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
A huge fee reinvested worth it
A huge fee not invested is hugely dangerous

On a football level
His ability is carrying and dribbling

This is one attribute we have plenty of within the team. Hwang, Cunha, Neto, RAN

In fact I thought on Saturday one of our challenges was that our only form of attack was running with the ball. We had do need to work on the ability to pass and move also. So on a footballing level we could replace with that kind of midfielder that can move the ball around etc.

But it only works for a huge fee, reinvested and first shout on City’s loans
That's where I'm at. Spot on with what he brings - it's certainly not his end product or passing, which is inconsistent--some great ones, but lots more loose shots/passes, too. And we do have players that can carry the ball now.

So, I'm with you...I think that he's almost a luxury player for us at the moment (at least too wasteful and loose). I like Nunes as a player as he can be exciting and I think that he's got huge talent. But we have bigger holes to fill and I would like someone who can be a little more clinical with the ball.

It goes without saying...we have to reinvest the profits into the squad or else it is pampers time.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Agree with the first half of your post. But if we sell Nunes and only replace him with Elvedi and Brownhill, we are effectively replacing our best player for two players who wouldn’t even get in our best XI.

I hate the thought of selling Nunes. Partly because, in my opinion, he’s our best player and partly because he’s one of the few players we have left who is actually quite entertaining to watch.

However, I fully accept that when the best club side and Manager in the world come calling, it’s going to be very hard, if not impossible, to turn them down (particularly given our financial situation).

The only way this works is if we’re able to bring in 2-3 players who significantly improve our starting XI rather than those who are just padding out the squad. And I just have no confidence in that happening right now.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the E&S Nunes wants the move and it has been reported that personal terms have been agreed. His head has been turned and who can blame him. Man City European Champions, PL Champions and FA Cup winners or Wolves and possibly another relegation scrap. No brainer.

T

TheConcourse

That's definitely true. Maybe it's just around me, but I also think many fans are so wrapped up in their phones during games, the actual match almost becomes secondary. The days of being completely immersed in nothing but 90 minutes of football don't really exist anymore, which kills the passion and atmosphere. I remember games in the 90s and early 2000s where it felt like every fixture was hostile and angry (in a good way) - Those are few and far between now.
I used to feel it in The Wanderer when we were dragged in as kids before a game and the adults used to pile up to the bar for the Newcy Browns. Tandori before the game. It was hostile, but it was brilliant. Loved it.

Football is totally different now. The matchday experience is as boring as it gets tbh. Doesn't help that the football has been as poor as the atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom