Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nunes to City

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you sure? They offered £47m originally which we supposedly refused. Now we are getting that sum and an option to buy for a player with no Premier League experience albeit at a bit of a discount. Does not sound like brilliant negotiating to me but we will see how the fine print looks.
As said before talks still ongoing ,and we will never know the ins and outs anyway, just guess work at the moment by everyone

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
47m up front is just under 10m profit on the 38.8m we paid for Nunes good work considering add ons also
His book value would have been closer to £30m as we’ve paid a year of that off, but that’s not factoring in Sporting’s 10% of profit, and Mendes’ cut. I think you’re right that it’s close to £10-15m profit.

In this market where two midfielders have gone for over £100m and they offered £80m for Paqueta, it’s very underwhelming. That being said, obviously when you factor in the Girona centre back for a price well below his release clause, and getting Doyle on a loan with an option to buy for just £5m, it’s fair to say the value is closer to £60m, which isn’t bad.

Im a little underwhelmed at the moment, but I’ll judge it at the end of the window, I want to see if we spend this profit or not. Doyle, Bueno and Gonzalez is a start, but would like to see us go big for a striker and another midfielder (Nunes direct replacement) now. Factoring in amortisation over length of contract, £15m profit could theoretically buy us five £15m players on 5 year contracts at a loss of £3m/year.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
47m up front is just under 10m profit on the 38.8m we paid for Nunes good work considering add ons also
And all up front, which is really rare - the fee would have been higher if we’d spread it over a few years, but that’s clearly something we were looking for.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really happy with the deal. I didn't want to see him leave as he's looked one of best players so far this season but once City came in there was only one way this was going to end.........such a shame he's sullied himself with his behaviour.

€55 million and Doyle for 5m incoming is good business, and well done Wolves for sticking it out. Just hope we got to fine Nunes 2 weeks wages before he ****ed off.
Latest reports are the original £47m so no shift there plus an option to buy Doyle for £4.5m - a bit of a discount on market value but counterbalanced by a massive 50% sell on clause if we take him permanently. All the talk of £60m seems to be rubbish unless there are bonus payments amounting to £13m which I sincerely doubt and with no guarantees they will be met. Feels more like Nunes's behaviour at the death has been rewarded. But let's see exactly what the details are before commenting further. Don't forget the 10% cut for Sporting and Mendes's cut also!

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frankly I think most of the behaviour talk is simply press chatter and idle speculation all with the objective of getting the deal done. He certainly wasn’t going to be risked while negotiations are ongoing …and he has said nothing. But that’s the way some fans respond to Twitter taken as gospel. In fact this was a very good deal engineered by Wolves and Nunes to satisfy all parties…good luck to him.

Totally agree. We have a good fee, upfront cash it seems to allow us to get some players in before the window shuts. If he had picked up an injury in training to put a hold on things everyone would be moaning that we messed up and now cant sign anyone as we dont get the Nunes sale. Some of the comments aimed at him have been vile. We have a good deal which hopefully will allow us to spend. Good luck to him at City.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not sure how we have got that deal.
Unless there is something he has been keeping hidden from us, in just over a year I have seen flashes of talent but generally been underwhelmed - There wont be much of a highlights reel in a Wolves shirt for City fans to get excited about.

Genuinely thought we would struggle to get our money back on him.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given he didn't really produce as well as someone you'd expect for such a high fee I guess we should be content with making a profit on him rather than trying to limit our damages like with Guedes.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve had our pants pulled down, not helped by everyone knowing Fosun are looking for pennies down the sofa.

What a complete ****show since May
How is making a good profit on a player that has underperformed ,and now on strike, any way having our pants pulled down?
I agree its not been great this summer but really?

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Unless there is something he has been keeping hidden from us, in just over a year I have seen flashes of talent but generally been underwhelmed - There wont be much of a highlights reel in a Wolves shirt for City fans to get excited about.

He'll thrive for Man City in the system and way that they play. Certainly not suited to a team battling relegation and having to play defensively.

We were able to sign him because of Mendes and the understanding that Wolves would be a stepping stone - he didn't have the impact we would have liked, but we've made a profit on him so we've all got something from the deals.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just on the fee, according to how The Athletic reports it, they are paying it up front. So this is the equivalent of an extra £6m to what we would have if we took the fee in the usual increments and had a macquarrie loan out against future payments.

All of which (as I understand it) means it's good for cash flow, although irrelevant in the accounts and for FFP.

Last edited:

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Agreed.

This is a player who shows no composure around the penalty box.
Turns into trouble (doesn't know when an opponent is behind him ready to ambush)
Hasn't been trusted to play in a central position by 3 of our managers (see above)
Is mediocre in terms of passing accuracy.

And let's add to that - has a questionable temperament

Pep likes him - he liked Calvin Phillips too.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Initially disappointed with him going as genuinely think he'd be a great player for us. But that is tempered with how he has handled this.
I can't deride him for wanting to go and play for City (hand on heart and taking off gold tinted spec's - how may pro players wouldnt want that move?).
That being said, with how he has handled it - I couldnt really give two ****s about him any more as a player and genuinely good riddance. If he didn't want to be here, best he's gone and as long as Wolves have got a good deal then good with me.

Hope he really does get the Danny Mills treatment, when we next play though.

Oh and not wishing a serious injury - but maybe a really bad ear ache or a troublesome ingrowing toenail for a few weeks - is that ok? @Mutchy ;)

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good deal for us. He is dead to me now he is gone I am the worlds biggest Tommy Doyle fan

What I do hope is that this is it now for the Mendes/Portugal cycle. Its dead, it peaked at Neves and Jota and everyone we got in since minus Moutinho and Rui have been rubbish or toxic or both.

Guedes and Nunes never wanted to come and we forced it anyway on the back of lies . Time to compete for players who want to compete

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how I believe we have a good deal , thinking £60m plus good bargain prices on two players and others believe the low bid with no extras so complain. None of us know the truth, but you believe what you want to believe

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you sure? They offered £47m originally which we supposedly refused. Now we are getting that sum and an option to buy for a player with no Premier League experience albeit at a bit of a discount. Does not sound like brilliant negotiating to me but we will see how the fine print looks.
We won’t though, will we. We never really know all the details.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
BBC saying it’s £47.5m with no add-ons?
You’ve got to factor in getting an (arguably) £15m rated player on loan with a £5m buy option, and the Girona centre back (owned by City Football Group) for £8m when his release clause is over £20m.

I think in total the value is closer to £60m. Not a terrible deal, not a great deal, I’ll judge it based on who we replace Nunes with, and if we get a quality centre forward in to take the pressure off Sasa’s knees.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hoped we'd hold out for the full £60m so not great from that point of view.

Make's GON look a bit of a berk following his comments yesterday too.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pod was told close to leaving could accept cut price deal tomorrow guessing celtic signed someone else

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems a terrible deal to me. However I’m guessing the Bueno deal (in a dodgy way) is somehow linked and it sounds like we’ve got Doyle cheap.

Knowing nothing about Bueno or Doyle it’s hard to truly judge…

Yeah I think they would need to be careful how they describe the Bueno deal, since it would certainly raise eyebrows at Girona if they were seen to be subsiding an unrelated transfer.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed.

This is a player who shows no composure around the penalty box.
Turns into trouble (doesn't know when an opponent is behind him ready to ambush)
Hasn't been trusted to play in a central position by 3 of our managers (see above)
Is mediocre in terms of passing accuracy.

And let's add to that - has a questionable temperament

Pep likes him - he liked Calvin Phillips too.

I would add that, to me, he has a tendancy to bottle tackles and 50/50 balls

D

Deleted member (smith)

You’ve got to factor in getting an (arguably) £15m rated player on loan with a £5m buy option, and the Girona centre back (owned by City Football Group) for £8m when his release clause is over £20m.

I think in total the value is closer to £60m. Not a terrible deal, not a great deal, I’ll judge it based on who we replace Nunes with, and if we get a quality centre forward in to take the pressure off Sasa’s knees.
So it’s complicated …even if we had all the facts. I am still amazed that so many people without all the facts want to argue about what is a good deal…very few accept that Hobbs knows what he is doing.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hoped we'd hold out for the full £60m so not great from that point of view.

Make's GON look a bit of a berk following his comments yesterday too.
You really can’t say, believe what you like but no way we agree if it’s not worth the£60M in my opinion, just how the deal is dressed up to look hence the different fees and terms quoted. Every party wants to look the winner

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'll thrive for Man City in the system and way that they play. Certainly not suited to a team battling relegation and having to play defensively.

We were able to sign him because of Mendes and the understanding that Wolves would be a stepping stone - he didn't have the impact we would have liked, but we've made a profit on him so we've all got something from the deals.

I dont disagree with the second half of that. First half I do disagree with, I really dont think he is “all that” and is below the other City midfielders both when it comes to technicality and physicality. I cant help smiling when people say he is being signed to replace KDB’s absence - they are in for a shock If they are expecting that.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it’s complicated …even if we had all the facts. I am still amazed that so many people without all the facts want to argue about what is a good deal…very few accept that Hobbs knows what he is doing.
I’ll judge it based on the return in players before the window closes. Still feel like we need a direct replacement for Nunes and a centre forward that can hold the ball up.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely ,if it all goes through we have got £35 mils worth of players for £12 mil, so way over the £60 mil we wanted, plus cash up front, which never happens nowadays,and got rid of a player that doesnt want to be here wins all round imo

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll judge it based on the return in players before the window closes. Still feel like we need a direct replacement for Nunes and a centre forward that can hold the ball up.
Yeah Hobbs needs to earn his money for the next 54 or so hours now. If we get a top player who can replace nunes ball carrying attributes and get a good striker in then I think we have done ok

Back
Top Bottom