Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Number 9 - Number 9 - Number 9 .........

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone recall the Beatles track Revolution Number 9 .
I recommend a listen for the nightmarish theme that seems to reflect our 4 year search .
But why oh why do you think we cant find a number 9 , for so long, one that can actually play for us since Jimmy left the pitch.
The thought just raises my blood pressure. We seem again to be paralysed and held to ransom when someone should have been on this PRIORITY for around 1500 days !
And please dont say they dont exist, or none have moved over 1500 days, Chris Woods has moved twice. There is a big world of football out there.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone recall the Beatles track Revolution Number 9 .
I recommend a listen for the nightmarish theme that seems to reflect our 4 year search .
But why oh why do you think we cant find a number 9 , for so long, one that can actually play for us since Jimmy left the pitch.
The thought just raises my blood pressure. We seem again to be paralysed and held to ransom when someone should have been on this PRIORITY for around 1500 days !
And please dont say they dont exist, or none have moved over 1500 days, Chris Woods has moved twice. There is a big world of football out there.
Fans of most Premier League clubs seem to be saying the same thing.

And we must be doing something right. 22/23 - over the whole season, 31 scored, lowest in the league. 23/24 - played 20, scored 30, 10th in the League.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've struggled, because it's difficult - goalscorers with any significant pedigree are just about most valuable player of all.

Then when you add in that we don't just want that, they have to fit the style of play, it makes it even harder, as it rules out Sasa who would otherwise seem to fit the mould of what you want (other than injuries, presumably).

All we're asking for is a clinical finisher who can also link up play, and is quick and strong and good in the air, but has surprisingly good feet for a big lad. And that has a proven record of goals in a decent league, but is affordable and wants to join Wolves!

Monswolf

Reaction score
We've struggled, because it's difficult - goalscorers with any significant pedigree are just about most valuable player of all.

Then when you add in that we don't just want that, they have to fit the style of play, it makes it even harder, as it rules out Sasa who would otherwise seem to fit the mould of what you want (other than injuries, presumably).

All we're asking for is a clinical finisher who can also link up play, and is quick and strong and good in the air, but has surprisingly good feet for a big lad. And that has a proven record of goals in a decent league, but is affordable and wants to join Wolves!
So in other words we are not that picky

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fans of most Premier League clubs seem to be saying the same thing.

And we must be doing something right. 22/23 - over the whole season, 31 scored, lowest in the league. 23/24 - played 20, scored 30, 10th in the League.
For 4 years not 4 months !
But let’s ignore the top six and the bottom three , where they exist , leaving half the league with Woods, Wilson, Solanke, Toney, Evan Ferguson, Watkins, Calvert Lewin, Welbeck, Ings, Mateta , Eduardo, Isak and that’s just England .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It helps when your forwards are scroing I guess.
Weren't all the armchair managers/CEOs declaring Cunha and Hwang useless not that long ago?
It helps , great job by GON, but as this happens we have been told a number 9 has been the priority.
Just imagine a man playing at the front in the middle and laying balls back and sideways and scoring. The dynamics become even more positive.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have got rid of two number nines in Fabio and Sasa for the rest of the season. Done it very early in the transfer window as well.

I can’t believe we aren’t or haven’t been looking for a striker before those 2 left, so expect someone will definitely be arriving before the end of the transfer window.

GON has already said how thin the squad is and that was before Fabio and Sasa left!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely.
Now days people want a 9 to be in themselves what used to be covered by 2 players.
You used to have the likes of Owen & Heskey combining; then a player like Drogba came along who could do it all and now that’s what everyone expects.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely.
Now days people want a 9 to be in themselves what used to be covered by 2 players.
You used to have the likes of Owen & Heskey combining; then a player like Drogba came along who could do it all and now that’s what everyone expects.
To various levels . We could probably skip any thoughts of Haaland or Kane .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For 4 years not 4 months !
But let’s ignore the top six and the bottom three , where they exist , leaving half the league with Woods, Wilson, Solanke, Toney, Evan Ferguson, Watkins, Calvert Lewin, Welbeck, Ings, Mateta , Eduardo, Isak and that’s just England .
Half those aren’t no 9’s

Rowzed

Reaction score
We have got rid of two number nines in Fabio and Sasa for the rest of the season. Done it very early in the transfer window as well.

I can’t believe we aren’t or haven’t been looking for a striker before those 2 left, so expect someone will definitely be arriving before the end of the transfer window.

GON has already said how thin the squad is and that was before Fabio and Sasa left!
Lopetegui got rid of the best number 9 we’ve ever had (since Bully)
5 million I heard. A spiteful reaction to his wanting to go to the World Cup after Mexico repaired the damage caused in preseason. He fits the criteria perfectly, works hard, technically excellent and would have thrived with the encouragement and support of a manager who believed in him.

oh well..

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5 million I heard. A spiteful reaction to his wanting to go to the World Cup after Mexico repaired the damage caused in preseason. He fits the criteria perfectly, works hard, technically excellent and would have thrived with the encouragement and support of a manager who believed in him.

oh well..
I always disliked JL but in fairness, Raul might have been chomping at the bit to leave.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

oh well..

Don’t think it was Lopetegui, I seem to recall in an interview him saying he was surprised about the Raul sale.

My guess is the club, well aware of our imminent P&S concerns, saw an opportunity to bring in £5m for an out of form striker and get circa £100k PW off the wage bill was probably too good to turn down.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t think it was Lopetegui, I seem to recall in an interview him saying he was surprised about the Raul sale.

My guess is the club, well aware of our imminent P&S concerns, saw an opportunity to bring in £5m for an out of form striker and get circa £100k PW off the wage bill was probably too good to turn down.

I suspect you’re right. Remember what Jeff said a couple of years ago about recognising when it’s time for someone to move on? Used as a cover for popular players being sold, but probably some truth in it sometimes.

On one hand, I suspect Raul would have loved to stay and rediscover his mojo here, but I’m not sure he would’ve. Before his injury, I think he was the best all round striker in my Wolves supporting life, and that includes King John and Bully. Each different, each brilliant in their own way. But having had his brilliance cruelly stolen from him by that thug, trying to rediscover it was perhaps beyond even him. So I think in all honesty, he had to leave to reinvent himself without the baggage of expectation amongst us Wolves fans.

But brilliant strikers do not roll off a production line, and while we’ve had other excellent strikers along the way beyond the three I’ve named, I’m not holding my breath that we will see the next truly great Wolves 9 anytime soon.

Queensland Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There are many many players who could be available we just have to look more widely than the general market areas and at different levels

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

My guess is the club, well aware of our imminent P&S concerns, saw an opportunity to bring in £5m for an out of form striker and get circa £100k

PW off the wage bill was probably too good to turn down.
Raul said himself he had to leave that the manager had criticised him in public
There’s an interview with him when he first joined fulham
Raul was very influential in the dressing room

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think there is a bit of rewriting of history.due to hindsight
Jimmy was a superstar but he hadn’t scored for three years . Many questioned the level he would play . £5 milllon and his salary was thought a good deal . Fulham took a risk . Now how about Adama ……..

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect you’re right. Remember what Jeff said a couple of years ago about recognising when it’s time for someone to move on? Used as a cover for popular players being sold, but probably some truth in it sometimes.

On one hand, I suspect Raul would have loved to stay and rediscover his mojo here, but I’m not sure he would’ve. Before his injury, I think he was the best all round striker in my Wolves supporting life, and that includes King John and Bully. Each different, each brilliant in their own way. But having had his brilliance cruelly stolen from him by that thug, trying to rediscover it was perhaps beyond even him. So I think in all honesty, he had to leave to reinvent himself without the baggage of expectation amongst us Wolves fans.

But brilliant strikers do not roll off a production line, and while we’ve had other excellent strikers along the way beyond the three I’ve named, I’m not holding my breath that we will see the next truly great Wolves 9 anytime soon.

Raul comfortably best ST I’ve seen in the Old Gold, and my first game was in ‘92. Whilst I got to see Bully, I always look back and think I missed him in his true prime.

Some notable striking heroes for me amongst other included the likes of SEB, who was absolutely pivotal in getting us promoted, David Kelly (my first Wolves love!) and I loved the exciting Ndah brought us when he got on the ball. None anywhere near the level of Raul.

The odds of us seeing a Raul caliber player anytime soon are slim, very slim.

That’s why I’d be happy, for now, with a Che Adams (example) for the next couple of seasons, that maybe isn’t the best all round player, but will be in the box and can finish the chances that Neto/ Cunha/ Hwang can create.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are many many players who could be available we just have to look more widely than the general market areas and at different levels
My feelings exactly . My great aunt with no interest in football could name Ings ,Che Adams and Antonio .Is it lazy recruiting or lazy journalism? Whatever , the results to date are not inspiring.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jimmy was a superstar but he hadn’t scored for three years . Many questioned the level he would play . £5 milllon and his salary was thought a good deal . Fulham took a risk . Now how about Adama ……..
Very much agree. The move was best for him and us. New scenery probably given him this new lease of life. He was obviously brilliant for us but it was just his time to move on. people were saying he may retire or move to mls so lets not say that we gave him away now

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is correct, but by the same token, there's also a bit of rewriting of history in The Lop's role in Raul's departure.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plus he's scored half the number of goals Hwang has this season.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really understand. Hwang is banging them in. Cunha has started to join him. There is no place in the team for a number 9 that doesn't involve replacing one of them pair.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really understand. Hwang is banging them in. Cunha has started to join him. There is no place in the team for a number 9 that doesn't involve replacing one of them pair.
Competition, red cards, injuries ,drop in form, exhaustion.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Prime Raul is exactly what GON wants now, I suspect. But it was the right time for him to leave unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom