Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Now let's just chill the **** out...

Lycaon

Reaction score
I can understand the general consensus that we need to bring in players but I just can’t see it happening?
Correct me if I’m wrong but Fosun were/are looking to sell a 20% stake in the club which indicates to me that their continual bankrolling days are over.
On paper we do currently have a decent squad but for various reasons (insert here) things haven’t gone our way.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those 3 points have seen us consolidate our Premier League position, but make no mistake their are some big decisions that have to be made, Iv no doubts if we want to strengthen we will have to sell one of our supposed big guns ie Neves, Neto, Traore or even Podence I cant see where the goals will come from if we continue to play with 2 wide men so i suspect maybe one of them will move on, I wouldnt be averse to Donk being sold to generate some cash to be able to buy in other areas, not signing Paulhino was probably a mistake he would likely cost much more if we wanted to sign him now, added to which Sporting are in a much stronger position now than what they were 12 months ago.
Im not one for calling for wholesale changes but i dont really see how we can avoid it, I think a back 3/5 has had its day but we dont have the players for a back 4, i noticed when we played 4 at the back Donk and Neves played wider to allow our full backs a bit of freedom, but jeez we are weak in the middle with that system. Saiss comes in for a lot of criticism but remember he is primarily a squad player playing due to injuries 2 years ago he wasnt considered good enough but due to injuries he has played many more games than anyone thought he would. Joao lets be honest guys he aint the player he was when he arrived and surely only has a bit part to play from now on, if he continues to be a regular starter then we are in trouble, up front lets look at it, Neto, Adama, Podence only 2 of those can play reguarly and Raul is covered by Fabio anyone calling for another forward signing will likely be dissappointed because 35 million for Fabio wont be wasted by signing another forward.
To summarise i think we need at least 1 other centre back, and another midfielder I mentioned Paulinho but i think the boat has sailed their if we were ever interested, as for centre back good ones are like rocking horse **** to find at the prices we can afford to pay, is Tarkowski really that much of an upgrade on Bennett as an example ?, Incidentally i thought we were better as a defence with Ryan in their than what we are at the moment.

Reaction score
...and plan for next season.

The summer is huge, make no mistake. Changes need to be made, we need to drive on in a (probably) new direction, but we will be in this league, we will be looking to compete, we will no doubt be looking towards the European places and hopefully, we'll all be there to cheer them on.

Up the Wolves

Bring it on
Great post I can see myself back in the south bank roaring them on, I miss shouting and singing at the mol.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves may have been playing solidly but this team hasn’t given the new additions to it. Take the starting line up last night: Jose, Ait, semedo, podence - that 40 percent of your starting outfield players that were not involved 12 months ago. Then add the bench: Vitinha, hovere, Fabio, otasowie, Kilman, Richards and your ‘they are just knackered’ falls apart very quickly. Even Neto was not a regular starter last year.

Wholesale changes are needed in personnel and approach or we go down next year with this squad. And that is going to involve tough decisions on some familiar faces.
Wolves may have been playing solidly but this team hasn’t given the new additions to it. Take the starting line up last night: Jose, Ait, semedo, podence - that 40 percent of your starting outfield players that were not involved 12 months ago. Then add the bench: Vitinha, hovere, Fabio, otasowie, Kilman, Richards and your ‘they are just knackered’ falls apart very quickly. Even Neto was not a regular starter last year.

Wholesale changes are needed in personnel and approach or we go down next year with this squad. And that is going to involve tough decisions on some familiar faces. Coady, saiss for example.
This season has been poor I make no bones about that but facts are we have been without boly, podence and jiminez for probably 2/3rds of the season and with 7 games remaining could still very easily finish on 50 points and end up 15/20 points clear of the relegation zone , we still play 4 teams below us in the next 4 and could ( not saying will ) finish above villa who have 5 of the so called big 6 left to play plus palace and Everton away , it’s not all doom and gloom , it’s not been a great watch but football in general has been hampered this season , we have experimented with new formations and personnel without any solid integration period in pre season , 2/3 good editions in the side and 2/3 dropping to the bench + a pre season and football returning to the norm puts me in a much more positive outlook ....

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, and it’s still a big if, we were to sign a quality centre half and quality centre midfielder, we could use the rest of this season and ALL pre season to absolutely nail 4 at the back. We would then have a fully fit Jiminez back pre season. Silva is a year older and getting better at a rate of knots.

The spine of the team would completely transformed. I genuinely think, bar any major player sales, we could challenge for top 6 again next season. I know it feels miles away at the moment but I honestly don’t think it’s actually as bad as it seems. This season has just been plain weird, very much one step forward two steps back all the way through. Nuno would have learnt an awful lot. I just hope and pray he has it in him to fix things.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If, and it’s still a big if, we were to sign a quality centre half and quality centre midfielder, we could use the rest of this season and ALL pre season to absolutely nail 4 at the back. We would then have a fully fit Jiminez back pre season. Silva is a year older and getting better at a rate of knots.

The spine of the team would completely transformed. I genuinely think, bar any major player sales, we could challenge for top 6 again next season. I know it feels miles away at the moment but I honestly don’t think it’s actually as bad as it seems. This season has just been plain weird, very much one step forward two steps back all the way through. Nuno would have learnt an awful lot. I just hope and pray he has it in him to fix things.
Very strange , take the 4 stands away and it’s watching 11v11 in the park on live tv ...

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Completely agree.

I don’t think calls for wholesale changes are the right way to go to be honest.

We’ve brought in and blooded kids who are and will improve and will have benefited from this season.

We need to bring in a top CB and CM in the summer, do that and we’ll be vastly improved and a better squad than we had 12 months ago in my opinion. If we could add a versatile forward in too then even better.

It’s been a **** season, but we can prosper from the suffering we’ve been through and can grow from it. Don’t throw everything out and start again now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This season has been like getting a small bonus at work and then a week later your car breaks down and is going to cost you twice what you got, plus a letter drops on your doormat saying you've been caught by a mobile speed camera. Every time we've looked to be getting towards settling we've taken another knock, should have been character building if nothing else.

I agree we're not far away, a couple of players and time to bed in a new system and this season could be a distant memory

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I felt that after we came back to win at Southampton that we’d be ok. Would like us to give Mir a go next season and Silva’s improvement is really encouraging. As many have commented, it’s at the back and in midfield where we need a refresh. I do worry that after 4 seasons in charge, Nuno’s not quite able to inspire the team in the same way and I do have reservations as to whether he’s able to implement a different style of play. Still, we’re well on course to be starting our fourth consecutive Premiership season which is no mean feat.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There seems to be a bit of an underlying opinion with the way that some talk about Nuno like he’s a dinosaur of a manager whose been doing it for 20 years and is unable to change his ways.

He’s been managing for what, 8 seasons? People like Eddie Howe and Graham Potter are both viewed as promising young managers by some, both have been managing longer than Nuno.

He needs to improve us, but why do people think he’s stuck in his ways and can’t? I have every faith he will grow and adapt and is the right person to take us forwards.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you was calling for Nunos head before the end of a game a few months ago . Good job you and the other notorious wetter hold no sway whatsoever . Been bored more of the negative ****ers on here this year than the **** football we have served up .
Tbh if Nuno walked in the summer I would shed no tears. I stand by my comments re: the Soton games but that is ancient history now. We have been appalling this season and if Nuno can't get players like Neves, Moutinho, Traore, Semedo and Boly to perform then there has to be a big question mark over the guy and his team imo. To be even talking about relegation with this squad is a disgrace. I'm sure there will be big squad changes in the summer but the question for me is whether Nuno can revert from his defensive mindset to a more attacking style?

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Regarding next season the absolute first thing that needs to happen is that Nuno needs to decide what formation is the one we're going with and then stick with it.

The next thing he needs to do is sign some much higher quality players to go with said formation.If this season has taught us one thing its that the solutions are definitely not from within.

If he's going with 4 at the back then we need 2 much higher quality centre backs to allow us to play that way.Boly is fine,but Coady,Saiss and Dendoncker really aren't.If we start next season playing 4 at the back with these options then we'll be in trouble,no doubt about it.

Midfield is the other area that needs major quality added,whether it be a dynamic runner,or somebody in there to break up the play to allow Neves to move further forward,there's just not enough toughness or mobility in there at the moment.We've got one of the best passers of the ball in Neves,but he can't really affect the game when he's practically stood on Coady's toes every match.

I dare say we need another striker as well.We obviously went big on Raul by giving him a 5 year contract,and with Silva given the amount we spent on him.But who knows how Raul will come back,and while Fabio is very much improving he's not yet close to the 20 goal a season man we need.
Can’t see us having 3 out and out centre forwards when we only play with 1 , clubs who play 2 up front don’t tend to have 6 ..

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh if Nuno walked in the summer I would shed no tears. I stand by my comments re: the Soton games but that is ancient history now. We have been appalling this season and if Nuno can't get players like Neves, Moutinho, Traore, Semedo and Boly to perform then there has to be a big question mark over the guy and his team imo. To be even talking about relegation with this squad is a disgrace. I'm sure there will be big squad changes in the summer but the question for me is whether Nuno can revert from his defensive mindset to a more attacking style?
Thing is it’s only us wolves fans who have even thought about relegation , I’ve spoken to loads of non wolves fans who didn’t think we would ever be troubled ....

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Terrible and unforgettable season for any number of reasons. I'm just glad we had our duff one when I didn't have to be there to suffer it in person.

Next year will be a very different affair, with a full and proper pre-season and the Molineux factor back.

D

Deleted member 11332

I've been chilled since we best Leeds, that basically confirmed we were staying up imo. Want us playing all the youngsters now. Try Hoever at Ch, Vitinha at centre mid, MGW as a 10 Silva up top. No point playing Jose now and give Moutinho a few weeks off to recharge. Won't happen though.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2/3 key additions particularly centre half and cm is what we need and I think it will transform us , 2/3 first teamers then become squad players and we look so much stronger ...
Having slept on it and thought about it today, I’d agree. 2 or 3 proper first team signings could transform us. A lot of the youngsters (and we have some damn good ones) will have benefited from their game time this season and will be all the stronger for it. But, the new signings must be proper ‘oven ready’ first teamers.

Wolves Bard

Reaction score
This season has been poor I make no bones about that but facts are we have been without boly, podence and jiminez for probably 2/3rds of the season and with 7 games remaining could still very easily finish on 50 points and end up 15/20 points clear of the relegation zone , we still play 4 teams below us in the next 4 and could ( not saying will ) finish above villa who have 5 of the so called big 6 left to play plus palace and Everton away , it’s not all doom and gloom , it’s not been a great watch but football in general has been hampered this season , we have experimented with new formations and personnel without any solid integration period in pre season , 2/3 good editions in the side and 2/3 dropping to the bench + a pre season and football returning to the norm puts me in a much more positive outlook ....
Good post, agree with most points.

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm chill. Didnt think relegation was even a possibility. However, I'm sceptical that Wolves will spend big, whatever people think that means, this summer.

Back
Top Bottom