Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Not giving the ball back

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
I didn't like Bristol's approach last night, but in fairness I think on one occasion we were wrong last night.

The last one where we kept it was fine. The ball was crossed straight into Ruddys hands so it was ours.

The other instance with Batth and their defender is the one for me. I think we should have sent the ball to their goalie. From what I remember they did have the ball so we should have just played it back to the goalie rather than putting it out for a throw. To be honest I was watching the players down injured so maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I thought happened.

Yes this is bang on for me. My issues last night are with the referee and not with Bristol. They came with a plan of winning set pieces in our half and trying to capitalise; sure they got many cheap and they also were naughty in how they prevented us breaking but that was exactly their plan and it's up to the referee to ref the game. His worst decision of the night was the free kick he gave on DB that lead to their second goal, was just a great tackle and there were times where he just looked bent.

Nuno was bang on in that the refs in the football league have little scrutiny and do not encourage positive football but reward thugery. That's why you get utterly mediocre managers promoted and then (when faced with teams allowed to and able to play quality football) come straight back down again. The Championship needs a higher profile and poor refs need a greater degree of exposure when they perform poorly. I don't think the game started out yesterday as bat tempered, but the ref lost control of the game and turned it into a bad tempered game. If we want to dominate this league and play the right way we need the refs to try and support the team trying to play, because every single team is going to try and stop us playing by fair means or foul, which in most instances is fair enough when you've spent 10 times what they have.

Except Warnock, he's just a see you next Tuesday.

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Naylor at Notlob giving the ball back for a throw and the cheating *******s took it quick with him then out of position and scored.
Nobody was injured though, he gave the ball back to the opposition very naively and they quite rightly took advantage with a quick throw in and scored from it. He never did it again.
What a goal from Alex Rae in that game.

Last edited:

loopy lupine

Reaction score
His worst decision of the night was the free kick he gave on DB that lead to their second goal, was just a great tackle and there were times where he just looked bent.

To be fair to the ref (and he was shocking I've I've said on other threads), he didn't give the foul for the Batth tackle, he gave it for Jota pulling their player back a couple of seconds before the tackle, the ref clearly indicated this. I didn't see the Jota pull so can't comment on whether that was a foul or not, but it wasn't for the Batth tackle.

B

BristolCityfan

As was previously said, that challenge anywhere else on the pitch the ref blows for a foul 99/100, regardless of whether he won the header or the ball or whatever, he went through Batth to get it and that is a foul.
I'll give you it wasn't the GBH that some are claiming, but it was a foul, it was in the penalty area and therefore should've been a penalty.

To be fair to the ref, he didn't give a foul when one of your players went through the back of Jota, so in that sense, at least he was consistent!

I don't really see what else Bailey can do if the header is there to be won and Bath doesn't compete for it at all, he's hardly going to not go for it...

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really see what else Bailey can do if the header is there to be won and Bath doesn't compete for it at all, he's hardly going to not go for it...
i don't think anyone's blaming your player, it's the jackass of a ref that we're annoyed with.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bailey could have killed the boy. Anywhere else on the field it's a card and a foul.

Brizzle seemed to switch to Cardiff's tactics of 'we can't match these so we'll hurt them instead' - Jota being the target. Disappointing to see, must be frustrating when you're constantly getting turned inside out by your opponent though.

It's funny the referee in charge last night refereed Forest vs Newcastle last season. Another game full of controversy.

He's from Staffordshire according to Twitter.....

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bailey could have killed the boy. Anywhere else on the field it's a card and a foul.

Brizzle seemed to switch to Cardiff's tactics of 'we can't match these so we'll hurt them instead' - Jota being the target. Disappointing to see, must be frustrating when you're constantly getting turned inside out by your opponent though.

It's funny the referee in charge last night refereed Forest vs Newcastle last season. Another game full of controversy.

He's from Staffordshire according to Twitter.....
I'll amend my last statement to.. I don't think everyone is blaming your player.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Watch it back and you'll see he didn't charge into him, it was a 50/50 header which Bailey won, if it had been in your penalty area you'd be saying the same thing

Sorry but it was dangerous play and a penalty....could have been serious and a hospital job.

B

Benson

Some strange situations yesterday where it was not easy to see which team "should" be allowed to get the ball. As I saw it was the referee who made the decision and told the players it was our ball after that "Ruddy catch". We might have done something not one hundred percent correct but I blame Bristol C who started the "bad sportsmanship game" kicking the ball to our corner flag when we should have had it at the halfway line. 1-1 in that "match", in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 3518

Some strange situations yesterday where it was not easy to see which team "should" be allowed to get the ball. As I saw it was the referee who made the decision and told the players it was our ball after that "Ruddy catch". We might have done something not one hundred percent correct but I blame Bristol C who started the "bad sportsmanship game" kicking the ball to our corner flag when we should have had it at the halfway line. 1-1 in that "match", in my opinion.

Good to see you briefly on Saturday, where did you disappear to with Brightside?

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh dear, light the blue touch paper and retire ! :D

The op does have a point; we went bonkers a couple of home games ago when the opposition didn't "sportingly" give us the ball back.
Win some lose some eh, certainly not worth getting too hot under the collar about.

Bring on the Forest I say. :)

B

Benson

Good to see you briefly on Saturday, where did you disappear to with Brightside?

Yes. Just a short second but good to see you. Brightside went to the ticket office and I went down to the Western meeting some other friends at 12.

B

BristolCityfan

Sorry but it was dangerous play and a penalty....could have been serious and a hospital job.

I don't see how winning a header is dangerous play?

He has his eyes solely on the ball, bath comes in from the side, doesn't contest, Bailey wins the header and clatters bath, if that's dangerous play then football should become non contact

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to go on a Bristol city forum and be really surprised when they don't concur with my view of the world. Maybe if I keep blathering on they'll all ultimately agree with me. See you chaps later.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
I don't see how winning a header is dangerous play?

He has his eyes solely on the ball, bath comes in from the side, doesn't contest, Bailey wins the header and clatters bath, if that's dangerous play then football should become non contact

Watched it again and looks like he lead with his forearm to me...
Either way it wasn't given.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know, guys, after a lot of soul searching I have changed my mind and now fully agree we should have given the ball back. And also been nicer all around. After all this is football we're playing not WWE.
To atone, I checked with the library for the most appropriate and historically correct punishment I deserve to thus make up for my previous error of judgement:

giphy.gif

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The situation with Batth and their defender reminds me of the Mane incident against Man City. Not in the sense as to the type of tackle as clearly they were different, but the different opinions from people. I don't think there is a right or wrong in this case, just a difference of opinion. Personally I felt Mane should have been sent off and that it was a penalty as he went straight through Batth. I can understand why people don't think it should have been, but then I also understand why some don't think Mane should have been sent off. For me they were both dangerous and going for a ball that wasn't theirs to be going for. For others football is a contact sport, sometimes injuries occur and they were entitled to challenge for the ball. Sometimes you get them sometimes you don't. I don't think either were malicious though, just dangerous.

Last edited:

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
To be fair to the ref (and he was shocking I've I've said on other threads), he didn't give the foul for the Batth tackle, he gave it for Jota pulling their player back a couple of seconds before the tackle, the ref clearly indicated this. I didn't see the Jota pull so can't comment on whether that was a foul or not, but it wasn't for the Batth tackle.

OK mate, thanks. Pity he wasn't so eagle eyed when they were doing it ;-)

loopy lupine

Reaction score
You can jump and challenge for a ball without jumping into a player. Tell me, if that challenge is in the centre circle would it be a foul, the answer is undoubtedly yes. Nobody would argue. So what's the difference if it's in the box?

Back
Top Bottom