Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Northampton Verdict Thread

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dire first half, somehow went in with a 2-1 lead. Second half we dominated though. Our new signings look quality and we can really start to trust in Stale to buy quality. Unstoppable goal by Sako and Siggy got better as the game went on. Boukari also looked to have something about him with in his time on the pitch.

Ikeme 7 - Made some good punches and is very decisive when coming for a ball
Stearman 8 - Should play RB on Sunday IMO, a better option than Zubar
Batth 7
Margreitter 8
Elokobi 7
Forde 7
Egg 5
Davis 6 - Got better second half
Boukari 7
Siggy 7
Nouble 6

SUBS
Sako 9 - Looks quality and a very well taken goal
Doumbia 8
Peszko 7 - Unlucky not to score

A

AmericanWolf

Pretty much with Perton (watched on an internet feed). Very impressed with Doumbia and Sako after they came on. Thought Stearman looked a bit spotty at times, but agreed that he looked good on the whole. Thought Davis put in a pretty solid performance. More generally, we bossed the game in the second half. Totally controlled the flow of possession. Granted, they're a lower league team, but it was still an impressive display and shows us what we're in for if Stale can get the team playing his system properly.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
all i can say is - new signings? $$$$in wow!! looking forward to seeing these boys gel... cos they look awesome at the moment!!

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice way to shut up the morons whining that we aren't signing British overpriced hags. New signings were brilliant, thought Forde had a solid game whilst Davis improved signifnicantly after a terrible first half. That second half was something to be hold and even though this was just a League Two side it was a sign of things to come.

Brilliant.

F

foowolf

Feeling very positive now.

In the first half Northampton actually dominated for periods. Had a hard time getting the ball and when we did, never could get it upfield. A lot of bad passes. Seemed we were playing without a midfield. It was just a mess, passing the ball around at the back. Noone in midfield seemed to want it, and unable to do anything sensible once they did.

Second half started out better right away, with more structure and pace. As the new signings came on, things really picked up. Suddenly the team seemed organized and there were clear signs of the possession oriented style we are going for. Looking dangerous every time we went forward.

Players:

Ikeme 7 - Not a busy day at work, but did everything right when involved.
Stearman 6 - seemed to be worried about making mistakes and always taking the safest option - passing the ball back a lot. Joined in attack a few times, disturbing to see him almost inside the box a couple of times. Should leave the shooting to someone else.
Batth 7 - Good game. Solid defending and in the air.
Margreitter 7 - Same as Bathh
Elokobi 6 - Was out to impress and also joined in attack a lot. Involved in some tikitaka at the back. Should get up close to his man and not let crosses into the box so easily.
Forde 7 - A lot of positive signs. Great ball control at times. Lively and aggressive. Very promising player.
Egg 5 - Did his share in the confusion of the first half. Not very friendly with the ball today.
Davis 5 - Maybe the worst of the first half, creating dangerous opportunities for the opposition with his sloppy passing. Did better in the second when the team settled.
Boukari 7- Showed promise at times. Seems to need to settle in and build more confidence.
Siggy 7 - Anonymous when we had no structured play. Little to work with in first half. In the second half he got more involved, showed great ball control, passing and speed. Had a couple of wow-moments.
Nouble 6 - Eager to dribble and impress on his own, but without any great success this time.

SUBS
Sako 8 - Great goal. Speed and ball control. dangerous every time he closed in on the box.
Doumbia 8 - Another great game. Took charge of a confused midfield. Able to hold on to the ball and do something constructive with it, unlike the first half bunch. MOTM.
Peszko 7 - Again lively, agressive, great crossing and a hard worker.

I am looking forward to see the first team play as they get even more confident and coordinated. If the second half today was a glimpse of things to come, I think this could get really exciting!

Last edited by a moderator:

RJs Tankard

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not much to add to what's already been said really.

I'll start with the positives.

The new signings all look very very promising. Once these settle in, and the team is more fluid in Stales system, we could start to play some good football. They look determined, confident and they "put a shift in" - however, they also have skill.

Ikeme - looks like a new signing. Confident. Assured. Looks like a safe pair of hands. Nice to see him bowling the ball out to players feet rather than hoofing too. Could be a serious contender for the number 1 shirt this season even with Henno and De Vries around.

Forde - never seen much potential in him, but tonight he looked decent and was perhaps our best player in the 1st half.

Now the negatives.

Davis looked a completely different player to that which played towards the tail end of last season. Doesn't look comfortable or confident in Stale's system.

Eggert - well, he's just awful and perhaps one of our worst signings ever. He wouldn't even get in Northampton's side - and they're league two, so I think we'll struggle to shift him until his contract runs out as nobody will want him. Must never play in the first team again.

Nouble - will he be good enough at Championship level? He reminds me of a cheap Heskey. Looks like he'll cause defenders a problem, but the constant step overs will become predictable eventually, and I'm not sure if he's the type that will score many. After seeing him play tonight, knowing that Doyle doesn't score many, and Sigurdarson is more of a playmaker type, I feel that perhaps we do need another striker after all because I feel that we could be dependant on SEB too much for the goals, or relying on midfielders to contribute with a few goals.

B

BigBadWolfie

Not much to add to what's already been said really.

I'll start with the positives.

The new signings all look very very promising. Once these settle in, and the team is more fluid in Stales system, we could start to play some good football. They look determined, confident and they "put a shift in" - however, they also have skill.

Ikeme - looks like a new signing. Confident. Assured. Looks like a safe pair of hands. Nice to see him bowling the ball out to players feet rather than hoofing too. Could be a serious contender for the number 1 shirt this season even with Henno and De Vries around.

Forde - never seen much potential in him, but tonight he looked decent and was perhaps our best player in the 1st half.

Now the negatives.

Davis looked a completely different player to that which played towards the tail end of last season. Doesn't look comfortable or confident in Stale's system.

Eggert - well, he's just awful and perhaps one of our worst signings ever. He wouldn't even get in Northampton's side - and they're league two, so I think we'll struggle to shift him until his contract runs out as nobody will want him. Must never play in the first team again.

Nouble - will he be good enough at Championship level? He reminds me of a cheap Heskey. Looks like he'll cause defenders a problem, but the constant step overs will become predictable eventually, and I'm not sure if he's the type that will score many. After seeing him play tonight, knowing that Doyle doesn't score many, and Sigurdarson is more of a playmaker type, I feel that perhaps we do need another striker after all because I feel that we could be dependant on SEB too much for the goals, or relying on midfielders to contribute with a few goals.

Agree re new signings. Sako, Boukari and Doumbia in particular are going to frighten the living daylight out of championship defences with their trickery, pace and power.

Ikeme has been brilliant so far. Thought his display against Derby was very reminiscent of Murray at his best. Long may it continue.

Forde looked a good prospect against Aldershot too. Another League two side. Against Championship opposition not quite so effective though. Will probably find it hard to hold down a first team place with influx of new signings in midfield.

Thought Davis was awful first half but improved second half as the whole team did. Karl can sleep easy. Like Forde will struggle to hold down a regular place when everyone is fit.

Maybe a bit harsh re the Egg. Better than Davis in the first half. Didn't do anything wrong but nothing spectacular either. Won't be near the first team in the Championship unless we have a midfield injury crisis.

I too feel we need a striker. I think Sig will take time to adapt and we are too reliant on SEB now Fletch has gone. Staale has always said Sigurdarson was not Fletcher's replacement anyway.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very pleasant second half performance, which should give a good hint of what to expect from our new team. This performance has shown the way forward Stale wants our players to play, with very short and accurate passes which should trouble opponents. Bring on Cardiff.

Actually in the second half we should have scored another 3 goals at least, Davis had one on one situation, Peszko had a shot deflected, and Sig had a good goal cancelled by the referee. If Sig goal was a foul, then the referee should see again their goal, with Platt pushing Batth at the back.

Now for the grading:-

Ikeme - He is making sure he remains the first choice.
Stearman - Had a good game as RB.
Batth - Once he learns how to keep the ball on the ground and not hoof it up, he would become a good CB in the championship.
Mar. - Seems a good buy and had a good game all the way.
Elokobi - His second half performance showed he is not that bad as some people want us to believe.
Boukari - He has just arrived and does not even know the names of the other players, but it is clear that he should be a good buy and would settle soon in the Stale first team.
Egg. - I think he was the worse performer on the night.
Davis - He improved in the second half and should have scored, but he needs some more experience before making his shirt becomes permanent in the team.
Forde - Surely a squad player, who when not in the first eleven should be on the bench.
Sig. - Ok we were playing a team two divisions below us, but he looks an interesting player who should improve the more we move into the season. His first goal for Wolves was cancelled errounsly by the official.
Nouble - A good fighter for the ball and he should compete well with SEB for a place in the first team.
Substitutes:
Peszko - confirmed once again that he is a first team player.
Doumbia - There was a huge improvement once he came in the team.
Sako - Confirmed from the start that he is a good buy and should prove to be a headache for most of the championship defences.

Final comment - Stale has changed the team, the style of play, but hope he keeps our colours, for the team looks like a French top team, normally playing in blue colours.

The_Blade

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme - Not a lot to do
Stearman - Worries me.
Batth - Played ok, bit of a hoof it player though.
Mar. - Did ok for his 1st game.
Elokobi - Improved 2nd half, still likes the long ball option though
Boukari - Looks promising
Egg. - Woeful. Get him off the wage bill.
Davis - Didn't have a good 1st half, very sloppy.
Forde - Same as Davis, improved 2nd half though.
Sig. - Unlucky with the goal, needs a few games
Nouble - Did ok and was a handful. Bench warmer this season though

Substitutes:
Peszko - Did well when he came on, Unlucky not to score. Looks an exciting player
Doumbia - The heartbeat of this team, superb player. Changed the game. MOM for me
Sako - WOW, what a left peg. Should hopefully batter this league

Looks like we have spent our pennies wisely (for once) Exciting times ahead.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe a bit harsh re the Egg. Better than Davis in the first half. Didn't do anything wrong but nothing spectacular either. Won't be near the first team in the Championship unless we have a midfield injury crisis.

I only watched on Sky but I thought the Egg was absolutely shocking first half. Yes, Davis made two glaring mistakes when he simply passed directly to a Northampton player, but the key difference between Davis and the Egg was that Davis actually touched the ball. It was like playing with 10 men, commos even said they hadnt mentioned his name first half.

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ikeme - Not a lot to do
Stearman - Worries me.
Batth - Played ok, bit of a hoof it player though.
Mar. - Did ok for his 1st game.
Elokobi - Improved 2nd half, still likes the long ball option though
Boukari - Looks promising
Egg. - Woeful. Get him off the wage bill.
Davis - Didn't have a good 1st half, very sloppy.
Forde - Same as Davis, improved 2nd half though.
Sig. - Unlucky with the goal, needs a few games
Nouble - Did ok and was a handful. Bench warmer this season though

Substitutes:
Peszko - Did well when he came on, Unlucky not to score. Looks an exciting player
Doumbia - The heartbeat of this team, superb player. Changed the game. MOM for me
Sako - WOW, what a left peg. Should hopefully batter this league

Looks like we have spent our pennies wisely (for once) Exciting times ahead.

Agree RE Doumbia - completely changed the game when he came on, a class above this level.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doumbia was almost embarrassingly good when he came on, as was Sako. Promising.

P

Penk Wolf

Second half, I thought Davis was very good and based on his second half performance and some of his Premier League performance he is perfectly adequate to replace Henry or Doumbia if they get injured.

I was concerned about us getting injuries in the Centre of midfield, but not so much now.

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Second half, I thought Davis was very good and based on his second half performance and some of his Premier League performance he is perfectly adequate to replace Henry or Doumbia if they get injured.

I was concerned about us getting injuries in the Centre of midfield, but not so much now.

Agree about Davis, He was poor in the 1st half but very good in the 2nd half. I think he's a good back up to have but I would like to see a central midfielder in the squad that can get him foot on the ball and pass it. i.e paul cook and David Jones type of player but better!

W

WasStefan

Doumbia was almost embarrassingly good when he came on, as was Sako. Promising.

Agree. All of Staales signing looks better than the majority of the players McCarthy left behind its bordering on embarrassing.

I was really impressed with Cheese as well, he hasn't had much of a mention in his thread. He looks very composed on the ball, yea he looked nervy early on in his debut but that's to be expected. He looks commanding, has a bit of pace and looked good in the air. Hopefully he's the perfect partner for RJ.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am happy with all our signings but I must say Sako and Doumbia really look the business.

How fast is Sako, he will take some catching when he gets away from defenders, and he looks like he wants to shoot which is nice.

Doumbia is just the type of player we need - strong and talented and should be first name on the team sheet already.

O

Odinn

I watched the game yesterday and I have seen Sigurdarson play quite alot over the last two years. I must say he dissapointed me with his performance as I know he can do much much better. He played the hiding game first half, was rarely involved and seemed content with inferior players dictating the attacking play which surprisingly resulted in two goals. Second half Sigurdarson showed glimpses of his capability, aka running into channels, taking defenders on and winning his share of duels in the air. However, this must be one of the poorest games I have seen him play so hopefully he will improve. I really liked the goalie, the new signings, especially Doumbia and Ford. Jonsson was the poorest player on the pitch.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the game yesterday and I have seen Sigurdarson play quite alot over the last two years. I must say he dissapointed me with his performance as I know he can do much much better. He played the hiding game first half, was rarely involved and seemed content with inferior players dictating the attacking play which surprisingly resulted in two goals. Second half Sigurdarson showed glimpses of his capability, aka running into channels, taking defenders on and winning his share of duels in the air. However, this must be one of the poorest games I have seen him play so hopefully he will improve. I really liked the goalie, the new signings, especially Doumbia and Ford. Jonsson was the poorest player on the pitch.

Forde is not a new signing.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. All of Staales signing looks better than the majority of the players McCarthy left behind its bordering on embarrassing.

It is frightening how far superior SS's signings look than MM's in just about every aspect - highlights how much we have missed by not exploiting the foreign market over the past five and a half years. It's almost a dream come true that we have first refusal on players like Doumbia and Peszko for nominal fees. Doumbia is a player we have been crying out under the entirety of MM's reign and SS identified that straight away - very impressive.

Howler

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4scMqfXeLU"]Bakary Sako-What a Strike! - YouTube[/nomedia]

:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:

S

SimplyTheWolves

Took a while for the players to settle down and find some continuity, but considering it was virtually an untested team we had out there that was bound to be the case. As time went on we grew in confidence which eventually showed via our play in the second half, some of which was very neat and direct.

Ikeme: (7) Yet another confident solid performance, the kind of keeper your defence gains confidence from.

Stearman: (6) Much better from Stears, possibly the best he's played for a good while (he looks reasonably competent at right back so there's possibilities there).

Batth: (6) Nothing spectacular and a little predictable, but did his job pretty well.

Marg: (6) Good solid debut. Definitely some leadership qualities about him that we can hopefully utilise more.

Elokobi: (6) Good solid performance with some neat passing.

Boukari: (7) Took a few minutes to settle but once he did he was composed, confident, and strong. Will easily find his legs in this division, looks a great prospect.

Egg: (4) Very disappointing from the Egg, can now see why Stale asked him to make his mind up whether to play in defence or midfield as he just didn't seem to know where he was playing. A good job he was subbed when he was as in my opinion he was heading for an early bath via the red card.

Davis: (5) Nothing to shout about with the odd wayward pass, can only improve with more games under his belt.

Forde: (6) Not a lot of flair or imagination but did his job solidly in the main.

Sig: (6) Seemed a little lonely at times and will clearly take a bit more time to settle. When he did get the ball he certainly knew how to control it and showed some very good touches. His eye for a cross is very good delivering at least two pinpoint passes. His strength and control should have given him his first goal which to me was ruled out by a very harsh decision be the ref. The signs are there, he just needs a bit more time.

Nouble: (5) definitely showed potential, although nothing overly exiting but could play a big part in the squad for us this season.

Peszko: (7) Full of confidence and eagerness, yet another good display albeit for a relatively short amount of time.

Doumbia: (7) Fast becoming Mr Dependable. The kind of player that gives others confidence and drive, another great display.

Sako: (8) This man isn't quite like Jarvis with armour but if he keeps playing like he did he could be the bargain of the season. Great debut and a goal that had 'get out the way' written all over it. Very-very exciting prospect.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Lacked cohesion in the first half which is understandable considering the number of new and back-up players we had on the pitch. Second half was much better with some very promising cameo appearances from Doumbia and Sako.

Ikeme (7) - Good handling, commanded his area well and good distribution. I'm a big Hennessey fan but he will find it tough to reclaim his place.

Stearman (6) - Steady enough and a couple of decent ventures forward in the second half. Still think a fully fit Foley is our best right-back by a distance.

Batth (6) - Outjumped for the Northampton goal but generally very steady with the bonus of a goal. Probably not going to start many games in the league but very useful back-up.

Margreitter (6) - Started a little nervously but like most of the side, improved as the game went on. Seemed pacy and comfortable with both feet. Hopefully he can form a decent partnership with Johnson.

Elokobi (6) - Similar to Stearman. Steady and got forward well on occasions. As much as I love his passion and commitment, is back-up at best for me.

Boukari (7) - Along with Forde, our best player in the first-half. Fast, strong, direct and a good cross to help set up Nouble's goal. Probably just edges Doumbia as our MOTM.

Jonsson (5) - Largely anonymous. Think he has taken some unfair criticism but he really isn't going to be good enough for us in midfield. The kindest thing I can say is that he could make a half-decent centre-half for somebody. Maybe...

Davis (6) - Very poor in the first half but improved in the second. Nowhere near ready to replace Henry in the first team.

Forde (7) - Positive in the first half and looked comfortable in possession. Think he would benefit from a loan move this season.

Sigurdarson (6) - Thought he was largely anonymous in the first half (admittedly with very limited service). Much brighter display second half with a delicious turn and cross for Peszko.

Nouble (6) - Worked hard and deserved a goal. Very raw but could be a useful option off the bench late in games.

Doumbia (7) - Totally dominated the midfield when he came on, and highlighted the difference in quality between himself and Davis/Jonsson.

Sako (7) - Very promising cameo topped off with a great strike for the third goal. Got a feeling he is going to become a bit of a cult hero.

Pezsko (6) - only on for a few minutes but energetic and constantly involved. Would be a steal at £500k.

Overall, a professional job and some of our attacking play in the second half bodes really well for the future. Whilst I agree with everyone that we need better options at full-back, the one thing that yesterday really highlighted to me is that we are still short a quality central midfielder. Henry and Doumbia will be excellent but if we are without those for any significant length of time, I'm not convinced that Davis or Jonsson provide enough quality as back-up. Also think we may still be a striker a light...

M

Mr Wolf

We got much better as the game went on, 2nd half actually looked decent passing the ball out of defence particularly through Stearman. Margreitter looked good also, a few small blips but he looked composed and actually ran forward with the ball. Something we have missed since Mancienne.

Siggy thankfully showed he wasn't a complete waste of money in the last 15 mins but he looks like a poor mans Doyle on that showing.

Sako and Boukari looked good against this opposition but they also worked hard which I was impressed with.

W

wolvo_boi

Ikeme (7) - Not a lot to do but did what was needed. The shirt is his even when Hennessey comes back, always rated Carl anyway after his stint in the promotion season.

Stearman (6) - Not a bad game but he just doesnt fill me with confidence, puts me on the edge of my seat for the wrong reasons. Good back up to have though as both CB and RB.

Batth (7) - Just like his first game for us a few seasons back, solid and unspectacular, maybe hoofed it too much but he did pretty much always pick out a player when he did, with a different 2 in centre midfield he may play the ball out more often.

Margrettier (6) - Good debut, hard to judge after one game but i was to after just one game he would be behind Berra and Johnson and fighting with Batth to be 3rd choice.

Elokobi (6) - Decent game but it was only Northampton, got forward well, personally think he would make a good centre back.

Boukari (7) - Impressive debut, runs well with the ball and once he is used to the way the rest of the player play especially linking up with Doyle and SEB will be very dangerous.

Egg (0) - Wasnt even on the pitch.

Davis (7) - Yes he made some wayward passes and some of them were extremely poor but he was a boy doing 2 mens jobs out there, given the hardest job i have ever seen a Wolves player given.

Forde (6) - Looks a decent player, not first choice but not a bad back up, could do with a loan till christmas in my opinion, has quality with final ball as his corners proved but twice he put good balls into the box but didnt look and its pointless putting a good ball in if there is no one there.

Nouble (6) - Will be usefull off the bench but we didnt create much for him to feed off, lack of creativity in the middle made him look like he had a bad game.

Sig (6) - Did ok, impact sub for the time being but like Boukari once he gets used to other players he will link up well.

Subs

Doumbia (8) - MOTM, class act, keep him fit and we will do well this year.

Sako (7) - Looks a good buy, cant wait to see him link up with better players in SEB and Doyle.

Pezko (7) - Looks settled already, 3 good wide options in him, Sako and Boukari.

Verdict - Frustrating to watch but they are new players getting to know each other for the first time.

Get one a 2 injuries though and we could go from being a side challenging to a side having to settle for mid table.

Need some better quality in the middle of the park!

B

bridgnorthwolf

Ikeme - 7

Did no wrong for the goal and was very confident and commanding in everything he did. Kicking was better than against Derby. He will have far busier games though.

Stearman - 6

Wasn't tested too much defensively. A few poor passes, but otherwise comfortable. My heart is still in my mouth whenever he's near the ball, but contrary to what most seem to think, I think he makes a better RB than CH.

Batth - 7

His distribution was pretty terrible and if he were to get a run in the team he'd need to do better than he did for their goal, but otherwise his best game in the Gold and Black. Generally very solid and dependable and whilst he didn't know too much about his goal he made himself a good presence for corners.

Margreitter - 7

Had a couple of nervy moments early on, but one was lack of communication from Ikeme perhaps, but otherwise an impressive debut I thought. Never tested too much, but far too often we seem to be blasting our defenders for mistakes or poor touches and that never happended. Like Batth was a good presence for corners.

Elokobi - 7

We saw the best of George last night. There were a few signs of his limitations, but generally very solid and against a lower standard of opposition he showed he can be useful going forwards too.

Forde - 7

Much better from Forde. He showed that he can be a threat and does have ability. He should no way be a first choice with the players we have now, but against weaker opposition he does show that he belongs at a higher level. Did better when he was on the left IMO. Faded in the second half

Davis - 6

Was absolutely awful first half. Dire. Gave the ball away for fun and didn't seem to get stuck in. VASTLY improved after half time and really pit himself about, although still not perfect. Great little run and an intelligently thought out shot was his highlight and made the keeper stretch.

Jonsson - 6

I think some of the criticism he received for last night's performance was a little harsh. For the first 15 minutes he was the pick of our midfield bunch, got stuck in and was by far the best passer, albeit with simple balls. Then he disappeared. Then he had a woeful spell just after time when he got booked, then got wrong-footed far too easily then gave the ball away a couple of times. Then he really got stuck in, which was half good, half bad as he gave away a series of niggly fouls which was worrying when he was on a yellow. He then settled down and played some good simple balls and then was the one player trying to be a little more adventurous with three long balls. Two were awful, one was a great ball. Then he was took off. A mixed bag, but overall he was average which is the best he'll ever be, but some people love to pick up on everything he does wrong.

Boukari - 7

So, so lively. Did look a little ring-rusty, but that's only to be expected when he hasn't played for a few weeks, so his touch was sometimes lacking a tad, but a real danger man.

Nouble - 7

Had a lively game overall in my opinion. A few little passes and control let him down on occasion. A few typical "groan" moments if you like, but excellent work rate. He gave the ball away cheaply down the left at one point, but despite the Northampton player having a massive head start on him, he chased him all the way back to our corner flag to make up for his error. Deserved his goal, but his goal itself summed him up. Flawed, but effective. Should improve as a player with the right guidance, but although I was a Vokes fan, I think big Frank is a better option from the bench as a potential game changer.

Sigurdarson - 7

I'm Bjorn's biggest fan, but thought he was a little disappointing first half as he looked isolated for long spells. To be fair though, there were a couple of occasions when he was making his way through their defenders and on another night the ball could have dropped more kindly for him when they challenged him, so I thought it wasn't his night, but second half he came into it far more and especially when the subs came on. One pass he made to I can't remember whether it was Sako or Nouble was absolutely sublime. I've never seen anything quite as good from a Wolves player.

Doumbia - 8

When he first came on he made a few uncharacteristically poor touched, but once he settled down he showed what he was all about. Definitely the man who will be pulling all the strings for us this season.

Sako - 9 - Man of the Match

Wow! I told you he was special. Not much more to say than that really. Everyone who saw him will vouch that he simply looks a cut above. He's got everything. Fantastic strike and he was absolutely everywhere. Seemed keen to come into play from quite deep, so potentially could he play alongside Doumbia whilst Henry is out?

Peszko - 8

For the short time he was on the pitch, he would normally get a standard 6/10 - Not enough time to make an impact, but whilst he was on the pitch he was involved in EVERYTHING. Would have been great if he had scored with his second touch (his first touch when he came on was the only bad one he made), but to say he should have scored would have been very harsh. It was a difficult one to take and he did well to keep it down. Had he blasted it I'm sure it would have ended up in the air. But he was down the touchline, he was in the centre, he was literally everywhere. Great pass to Sako for his goal too.

Overall it was only Northampton and for long spells we had the game "contained" rather than looking brilliant, but when the subs came on we looked fantastic and should really have had 4/5 at least. That last 15 minutes made it feel like a far greater performance than it was overall and put a smile on most of our faces. At the end of the day it's going to be the Doumbias, the Peszkos and Sakos that make the difference for us in this league, not the Davis', the Jonssons and the Fordes so it's better to judge us on the tail end of the game where we came really good. So for that I was delighted.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wolvo boi, I think your verdict sums up matters. I disagree with the poster who suggested that Nouble will be good for goals this season. I expect we will see a bit of the lad but that it will be as a substitute to close out games. Big and strong but I've yet to be convinced that he is a quality goal scorer. I do feel that there is a need both for people to give the team time to gel together and also for youngsters to establish themselves. As I've said elsewhere I expect Davis and Forde to be on the panel this season and in a scenario similar to what I suggest with regards to Nouble will start getting on late on in games. If we do lose SEB to injury I note McAllinden is now playing for the under 21's, he can always be used (even if only as a substitute) until we get a replacement in. Remember we are back in the land of player loans.

E

Essex Wolf

I think all the positives have been said and there were far more of them than negatives last night but sadly there were some negatives.

Jonsson is a God awful player and what the hell McCArthy ever saw or heard about him I shall never know. He was a liability most of the game he played and offered very little.

Elokobi showed against lesser opposition he is okay but his first touch on numerous occasions looked clumsy and twice within the first 15 mins he played two dangerous, unnecessary and wayward passes right across the back line. Once into the game he got forward more but there is no way George should be anything more than a back up as a LB.

M

Monkey Man

I thought we looked pretty poor and had two huge slices of luck for the goals.

Northampton were nothing special but caused our defence far too many problems, although most of these problems stemmed from us giving the ball away.

B

Bankswolf II

Some of the funniest banter at a wolves game **** the dragon!! And that guy getting escorted out for being unruly and supporting his club kept me entertained during a dull game I bet sky had loaded the barrel and were pulling the trigger until the second half

Few notes that will surprise none egg is rubbish our midfield that finished was immense and must start against Cardiff nouble was ok but was impressed by the sig in the second half the ball sticks to him like glue Batth proved to me why he should play more game margeitter was solid too thought little of forde and Davis though

Bring on Chelsea

J

johnybig32

A team full of Stale's signings would absolutely destroy this league.

Total different league to anything I have ever seen in a Wolves Shirt.

Back
Top Bottom