Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Non league

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'll find that you miss the proper matchday buzz that you get with following Wolves. Non-league just doesn't compare when the attendances are so low.

Oh yeh, I agree. Most of the matchday buzz from my usual lot involves going pub and trying to nab a stream.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think so Kenny, they're more associated with the Grammar School (they play in the same kit).

Just looking back at the programme when I went there they were apparently formed in 1923 as Wolverhampton Grammar School Old Boys FC and spent most of their history in the Birmingham AFA before moving up to the WMRL and renaming themselves in 2005, gradually climbing up to the Prem in 2007. They won it in 08/09 but bizarrely chose to move from Wolverhampton Casuals in Coven where they were groundsharing to their own ground in Castlecroft (Wolves' old training ground). The bizare bit being that they'd left a ground that qualified for promotion to go to one that didn't and were kept down as a result! Still they have their own place now I suppose, and it is one of the better grounds in the local area.

Many thanks Pete.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I have always imagined local Wolves fans followed Telford and Stafford Rangers to some degree.

Either out of interest, as nearby non league clubs, or as a second team.

Those two clubs haven't been mentioned yet, so my imagination may be a bit wonky.

E

E is for idiot.

I have always imagined local Wolves fans followed Telford and Stafford Rangers to some degree.

Those two clubs haven't been mentioned yet, so my imagination may be a bit wonky.

Can't speak for everyon else, but me personally both of those are a solid 20 miles away. Nearest to me is Darlo town, Bloxwich, Bilston and Willenhall. Halesowen, Alvechurch and Tividale I have been to in the past, purely to support a mate though, wouldn't have gone there otherwise.

M

Mugwump

When I was still in England I used to watch Pelsall Villa from time to time. They had a striker called Dean Walters who regularly scored 35 goals plus a season. I can't remember if I am right about it, but I am sure he was mates with Bully.

leedswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

When I was living in Staffordshire, I would go and watch Stafford Rangers.

I

iamthenewno2

Been seeing a lot of Maidstone united, new ground and first time back playing in the town for 20 years. Ok standard but for £10 in, beers by the pitch and 15 min walk from my door be rude not to! Also play in similar colours so not too alien. 1000+ crowds in ryman south a team on the up.
For those going to watch the dros of Cambridge united get down to Milton road and support the Lilly whites, but remember 'WE'LL NEVER SHARE THE ABBEY!!!'

Me also, season ticket holder (present from parents) and my son plays for the under 8s. It fills a hole as I can't afford to get up to Wolves due my current financial mess.

F

FLEET WOLF

I used to watch Fleet a bit in Ryman Div 1, particularly when Andy Sinton was manager, but I think that £10 is a bit much for that level.

J

Jameswwfc

£10 for that level and people moan about the rip off at wolves apparently.

C

Craddockinho

Try and get down Telford when I can.

It's £14 in, Conference Prem.

Got a number of decent players inc ex-Wolves lads Nathan Rooney and James Spray.

They're owned by their fans, have a fantastic little ground and even though it's £14 in, I guess that's how much it costs to be competitive at that level.

Harlow Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Braintree and Cambridge United for me, just about level standard with what is being played at molineux at the moment.

I go and watch Braintree too occasionally (live there and work in Harlow), its a good day out.

Also work with the manager of Chesham who are top 3 in the Southern Premier League and watch them whenever they are in my area. He's a Stoke fan but despite that he tries to play good football getting the ball down, which can be rare at that level.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to attend the league and non league but neither anymore as non league has jumped on the greed lorry, £10 for non league sorry but Yor aving a larf.

W

Womble19

I reguarly go to watch kidsgrove athletic after living in the area last year and the 4 years previous i came quite connected and still enjoy going to watch them, i actually went to watch them away at AFC Wulfrunians the other week, unfortunately Wulfrunians came out on top AGAIN! for the second time in a few years after kidsgrove dominated for much of the game, i dont see them as a bad quality isde, 1 step away from playing in round 1 proper of the fa cup last year!

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, they were in the Southern League and doing well, making a profit as far as the committee could tell from the books until it was revealed the owner hadn't been paying the brewery bill and had run up a 65k debt.

He buggered off and is involved with Black Country Rangers now, who by all accounts are overpaying for the level they're at (same league as Willenhall). Bit of a Ken Bates meets Man City.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, they had to sell their ground, Noose Lane. An asian club Sporting Khalsa play there now, even though they rent it back to WTFC when they're away, so Willenhall are playing in a ground that was there own but has been repainted in blue and white, and up until this season weren't able to open the refreshment hut, club shop or even get any takings from the bar which was still staying open but by itself and not connected to the club.

Sad to see it happen really, but there's a new group of people there now trying to regroup.

I used to watch Willenhall regularly, at one point I was even their kit man. Don't go down as much these days as the kids take up an unholy amount of my free time

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Went to watch Bilston again Saturday at Bustleholme in the FA Vase. Bilston won 4-0 and to be honest the score flattered Bustleholme which is amazing considering Bustleholme are a league higher. Bilston look a very good side so maybe worth a watch if any of you have a spare saturday

E

E is for idiot.

Went to watch Bilston again Saturday at Bustleholme in the FA Vase. Bilston won 4-0 and to be honest the score flattered Bustleholme which is amazing considering Bustleholme are a league higher. Bilston look a very good side so maybe worth a watch if any of you have a spare saturday

I was there as well! Was a half decent game, Bustleholme were poor though.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stourbridge are a good bet for another decent season after that FA cup run last time around and just missing out on promotion....they played a huge amount of games doing ok in quite a few cups.

C

ChesterWolf

You'll find that you miss the proper matchday buzz that you get with following Wolves. Non-league just doesn't compare when the attendances are so low.

Attendances may be lower but the passion certainly isn't. Lower attendances may be the case but that's part of the attraction for me. Hard to feel part of something when your 1 of 25000 people, owned by a businessman with players you have little connection to. Sooner be 1 in 3000, an owner of the club with a team full of local players who are your average blokes.

Don't get me wrong I love Wolves, but IMO nothing to compares to lower league football.

C

ChesterWolf

Stourbridge are a good bet for another decent season after that FA cup run last time around and just missing out on promotion....they played a huge amount of games doing ok in quite a few cups.

Went there earlier this year. Top day, segregation was in place so unfortunately only experienced the game from temporary seating. Seemed to have a fairy good support considering their level, although was probably boosted with the opposition being Chester and was the game after they beat Plymouth. Spotted a few Wolves in attendance.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Bilston won again at the weekend, they are now the only unbeaten team in the top 2 West Midlands Regional Leagues.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Not sure about that, they look a decent team, the new managerment team have done a great job and Willenhall not doing to well this season. I have heard the Willenhall manager resigned at weekend! When do they play the John Martin Trophy? Is it at Bilston or Willenhall this year?

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure about that, they look a decent team, the new managerment team have done a great job and Willenhall not doing to well this season. I have heard the Willenhall manager resigned at weekend! When do they play the John Martin Trophy? Is it at Bilston or Willenhall this year?

Last 2 years it's been at Queen Street. Usually December if recent seasons are anything to go by. Willenhall won 4-0 I think last season.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Last 2 years it's been at Queen Street. Usually December if recent seasons are anything to go by. Willenhall won 4-0 I think last season.

I'll try and find out when I'm next down there, should be a good game because Bilston have improved this year

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
There was a thread on here a few weeks back about non-league clubs that we go watch when wolves are not playing but I can't seem to find it so thought I'd start a new one.

As I mentioned at the time I go and watch Bilston Town play when I'm free. What a start to the season they have had. After spending the last few years stuck in mid table they are now flying high. They are the only unbeaten side in all three West Midlands Regional Leagues. They got to the first round proper of the FA vase (beating sides from 1 and two leagues higher and only losing in extra time away to another team from 2 leagues higher), they are in the quarter finals of the Walsall senior cup, Staffs vase and the JW Hunt Cup.

I would recommend anyone around the area to go watch them if they get chance. They are a pretty good side and the atmosphere around the ground is amazing with gates of 200+ wearing club colours and singing songs. They are at home tonight kicking off at 7:45pm

E

Essex Wolf

If for whatever reason I can't make the Wolves game I sometimes go and watch Braintree Town if they are at home.

I had thought about going along last night as they played Tranmere in the FA Cup and was hoping to see Jake Cassidy play but Wolves I believe stopped it so didn't bother in the end. However when I have gone it's always a good day out.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Not Non-League, but get taken to Port Vale (and away games) now and then for free as one of their players lives in my street.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
There was a thread on here a few weeks back about non-league clubs that we go watch when wolves are not playing but I can't seem to find it so thought I'd start a new one.

As I mentioned at the time I go and watch Bilston Town play when I'm free. What a start to the season they have had. After spending the last few years stuck in mid table they are now flying high. They are the only unbeaten side in all three West Midlands Regional Leagues. They got to the first round proper of the FA vase (beating sides from 1 and two leagues higher and only losing in extra time away to another team from 2 leagues higher), they are in the quarter finals of the Walsall senior cup, Staffs vase and the JW Hunt Cup.

I would recommend anyone around the area to go watch them if they get chance. They are a pretty good side and the atmosphere around the ground is amazing with gates of 200+ wearing club colours and singing songs. They are at home tonight kicking off at 7:45pm

If you'd looked at your posts it was the last thread you posted on before this one http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=74667

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread, perhaps?

EDIT - Quick Fingered Mutchy beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No because £12 is ridiculous for non league football IMO.

W

wolvesultra

No because £12 is ridiculous for non league football IMO.

i did notice last international weekend Telford allowed Wolves STH's in for £5, a good idea in my view, do you know if Telford are at home next international break?

Strats

Reaction score
I absolutely refuse to pay the costs involved at WWFC and get my football fix by travelling a lot further than Molineux is (from where I live). May sound strange, the fact that, with extra long travelling and the expence involved BUT the club I support really DO need the money and people through the gate ... just to survive, not through sheer greed.

W

wolvesultra

Only £3 at Queen Street :)

Queen Street Bilston?

I may actually try and get to a couple Bilston games acually, seeing as I could walk (at a push) to the ground they really are my local team.

do you know where i can see a full list of Bilston fixtures? their site only shows the next few

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Queen Street Bilston?

I may actually try and get to a couple Bilston games acually, seeing as I could walk (at a push) to the ground they really are my local team.

do you know where i can see a full list of Bilston fixtures? their site only shows the next few

Yes Queen Street Bilston. Getting good crowds at moment and they look a very good side so don't think you'll be disappointed. They are playing Wyrley tonight at home 7:45pm kick off

Moira Stewart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to watch Willenhall about a month back, fiver to get in, they lost 1 - 7. Best entertainment I've had in ages, the standard was laughably bad. They have however since strung together 5 wins in a row.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Bilston won again last night 6-4 in one of the strangest games of football I ever seen

Back
Top Bottom