Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Non league

E

E is for idiot.

With the spiralling costs of the pro game, does anyone watch much non league to get their fix when money is tight? I went to watch Darlaston Town today, which was quite honestly appalling. I used go go to see Halesowen quite often because my mate played for them. Any other sides worth the money?

B

Brackley Wolf

I go to most Brackley Town matches in Blue Square North. Gary Mulligan (remember him) currently leading our line, have won 7 out of 7 at top of league and play great football. Can also have a beer by the side of the pitch.

Wolf in Cradley

Groupie
Reaction score
Watch Bilston Town play. Great old club with a good side down there this year

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I go to most Brackley Town matches in Blue Square North. Gary Mulligan (remember him) currently leading our line, have won 7 out of 7 at top of league and play great football. Can also have a beer by the side of the pitch.

I sometimes watch Corby in BSN. Not doing well this season. £10 to get in, Under 16s are free. £2.50 a pint. Five minute walk home.

E

E is for idiot.

Bilston is a decent shout actually. Might go down next home game.

P

PeteWolf

With the spiralling costs of the pro game, does anyone watch much non league to get their fix when money is tight? I went to watch Darlaston Town today, which was quite honestly appalling. I used go go to see Halesowen quite often because my mate played for them. Any other sides worth the money?
You won't see many good games at Darlo. The slope there is notorious for spoiling games, plus they've not had too good a side for the last few years.

I watch quite a lot, and even though they're at the same level of the pyramid (Step 6), then the difference between the Midland Combination (Birmingham, Walsall, Warwickshire and Stafford) compared to the West Midlands Regional League (Black Country, Wolverhampton, Shropshire, South Staffs and Worcs/Herefordshire) is pronounced. You tend to see sides playing football a lot more in the Mid Comb than in the WMRL which is a lot more kick and rush. The pitches seem to be a bit better as well, which helps.

Gornal Athletic, Tipton Town and Black Country Rangers (based at Tividale) all have a good reputation for playing good football, also Bewdley and AFC Wulfrunians (Castlecroft) in the WMRL.

To put it into perspective the game you went to today, I watch Willenhall quite a lot and I was shocked to see they'd won, let alone by 5-0! It's the first time they've won a competitive game since January! They only won three matches all last season and thirteen overall in the last three, having conceded 398 goals (and this is only league). The demise they've been on since the financial troubles has made the Bhatti era look like a bit of a blip in form for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jungleee

Went to my local non-league team today to watch them play. Was refused entry simply because I didn't have my student ID card with me - offered them various alternatives such as the clothes I was wearing, logging into my student email etc. None were accepted. Disgraceful really as non-league clubs should be doing all they can to bring in revenue not turning it away.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went to my local non-league team today to watch them play. Was refused entry simply because I didn't have my student ID card with me - offered them various alternatives such as the clothes I was wearing, logging into my student email etc. None were accepted. Disgraceful really as non-league clubs should be doing all they can to bring in revenue not turning it away.

You have to be a student to watch non-league teams? Since when?!

H

Hatch End

Try Hednesford Town, doing nicely in the Evostick league.

J

Jungleee

You have to be a student to watch non-league teams? Since when?!

I wanted the concession price as I refuse to pay £10 for non-league football. I've watched Wolves play at Old Trafford for £10 and I often watch Birmingham City play at home for £7 (albiet in the away end).

E

E is for idiot.

You won't see many good games at Darlo. The slope there is notorious for spoiling games, plus they've not had too good a side for the last few years.

I watch quite a lot, and even though they're at the same level of the pyramid (Step 6), then the difference between the Midland Combination (Birmingham, Walsall, Warwickshire and Stafford) compared to the West Midlands Regional League (Black Country, Wolverhampton, Shropshire, South Staffs and Worcs/Herefordshire) is pronounced. You tend to see sides playing football a lot more in the Mid Comb than in the WMRL which is a lot more kick and rush. The pitches seem to be a bit better as well, which helps.

Gornal Athletic, Tipton Town and Black Country Rangers (based at Tividale) all have a good reputation for playing good football, also Bewdley and AFC Wulfrunians (Castlecroft) in the WMRL.

To put it into perspective the game you went to today, I watch Willenhall quite a lot and I was shocked to see they'd won, let alone by 5-0! It's the first time they've won a competitive game since January! They only won three matches all last season and thirteen overall in the last three, having conceded 398 goals (and this is only league). The demise they've been on since the financial troubles has made the Bhatti era look like a bit of a blip in form for us.

Yeah I only chose them because it was short notice and we knew they were playing. It was shocking, really shocking. Worst game I have ever paid to see. Darlo had the worst two centre backs I have ever seen. And my mate was saying that about Willenhall. He played for them before the money dropped out and he said they were three levels higher when he was there just four years ago! Shocking really!

P

PeteWolf

Yeah I only chose them because it was short notice and we knew they were playing. It was shocking, really shocking. Worst game I have ever paid to see. Darlo had the worst two centre backs I have ever seen. And my mate was saying that about Willenhall. He played for them before the money dropped out and he said they were three levels higher when he was there just four years ago! Shocking really!
Yeah, they were in the Southern League and doing well, making a profit as far as the committee could tell from the books until it was revealed the owner hadn't been paying the brewery bill and had run up a 65k debt.

He buggered off and is involved with Black Country Rangers now, who by all accounts are overpaying for the level they're at (same league as Willenhall). Bit of a Ken Bates meets Man City.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, they had to sell their ground, Noose Lane. An asian club Sporting Khalsa play there now, even though they rent it back to WTFC when they're away, so Willenhall are playing in a ground that was there own but has been repainted in blue and white, and up until this season weren't able to open the refreshment hut, club shop or even get any takings from the bar which was still staying open but by itself and not connected to the club.

Sad to see it happen really, but there's a new group of people there now trying to regroup.

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wanted the concession price as I refuse to pay £10 for non-league football. I've watched Wolves play at Old Trafford for £10 and I often watch Birmingham City play at home for £7 (albiet in the away end).

Tight bloody students.

I paid £26 to stand in the away end at selhurst park last weekend. Definitely worth it. Wednesday had smoke bombs and better concourse antics than wolves too.

J

Jungleee

Tight bloody students.

I paid £26 to stand in the away end at selhurst park last weekend. Definitely worth it. Wednesday had smoke bombs and better concourse antics than wolves too.

Not $$$$ing surprised. Wednesday and Leeds' away supports are the best in the Championship - not one other club touches them IMO. They have mentality, pyro, a younger demographic of supporters, travel by train and actually get to an away town before 1. Question is, why didn't you invite me?

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to watch Burton once upon a time when my daughter was young. Frankly it was awful , I even went on the pitch to relieve the boredom.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I sometimes watch Corby in BSN. Not doing well this season. £10 to get in, Under 16s are free. £2.50 a pint. Five minute walk home.

You must live near me the GC. I live in Little Stanion, had considered going to watch Corby since Kettering moved to Rushden.

B

Brackley Wolf

Brackley dicked Corby 5 - 0 recently, great game! Good win today, hope you get Kettering in cup!

AW

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not $$$$ing surprised. Wednesday and Leeds' away supports are the best in the Championship - not one other club touches them IMO. They have mentality, pyro, a younger demographic of supporters, travel by train and actually get to an away town before 1. Question is, why didn't you invite me?

Last minute drunken decision.

J

Jameswwfc

I've been to watch atherstone today, £5 to get in and sit in the sun on the terrace with a few pints. The football is crap mind

S

Sambucashot

Got a mate who plays for bridgenorth he scored in there 3-1 win yesterday in the fa cup 3rd round qualifying against a team 2 leagues higher than them rushall olympic. There manager is mark clyde.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
my ex bro in law used to play for stourbridge, geoff barnsley , top keeper, shud have played higher level but never got a break. good standard the though, southern league then. The travelling was akiller though he used to say.

S

Sambucashot

The fa , Sunday mercury and the other local papers are saying that bridgo lost 1-0. Dont know where that has come from.

H

howlin wolf

Braintree and Cambridge United for me, just about level standard with what is being played at molineux at the moment.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was thinking of trying a Stourbridge game as they're local, anyone got any feedback on them?

P

PeteWolf

Was thinking of trying a Stourbridge game as they're local, anyone got any feedback on them?
Good side. Gary Hackett's put together a good team there that have grabbed a few FA Cup headlines over the last couple of years. You'll probably recognise a few names from Wolves youth players.

They're at home to Leamington in an FA Cup replay on Tuesday which should be a match worth going to. £10 entry.

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I used to watch Forest Green sometimes as they're just up the road from my hometown.

Sometimes I'll go and watch a small little team called West Brom if I'm really bored. Shocking football but good for a laugh.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Pete, do you have any idea how AFC Wulfrunians originated? Would they be a spin-off from Wulfrun College Old Boys who I used to play for in the W'ton amateur division 1?
Probably not but just wondering.

P

PeteWolf

Pete, do you have any idea how AFC Wulfrunians originated? Would they be a spin-off from Wulfrun College Old Boys who I used to play for in the W'ton amateur division 1?
Probably not but just wondering.
Don't think so Kenny, they're more associated with the Grammar School (they play in the same kit).

Just looking back at the programme when I went there they were apparently formed in 1923 as Wolverhampton Grammar School Old Boys FC and spent most of their history in the Birmingham AFA before moving up to the WMRL and renaming themselves in 2005, gradually climbing up to the Prem in 2007. They won it in 08/09 but bizarrely chose to move from Wolverhampton Casuals in Coven where they were groundsharing to their own ground in Castlecroft (Wolves' old training ground). The bizare bit being that they'd left a ground that qualified for promotion to go to one that didn't and were kept down as a result! Still they have their own place now I suppose, and it is one of the better grounds in the local area.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not non-league but I do on occasion watch my adoptive town of Cheltenham sometimes, cracking little ground Whaddon Road is. There story a somewhat meteoric rise is quite interesting but having to compete with Gloucester for Rugby means they stand little chance.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must live near me the GC. I live in Little Stanion, had considered going to watch Corby since Kettering moved to Rushden.

Aye, not too far away ... Other end of town out by Rockingham.

Oxford Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I used to go and watch Carterton when they were in the Hellenic Premier, £5 in and a few beers was a nice way to spend the afternoon. The football was shocking and the highest attendance I saw was 38!!

G

grandad_andy

Been seeing a lot of Maidstone united, new ground and first time back playing in the town for 20 years. Ok standard but for £10 in, beers by the pitch and 15 min walk from my door be rude not to! Also play in similar colours so not too alien. 1000+ crowds in ryman south a team on the up.
For those going to watch the dros of Cambridge united get down to Milton road and support the Lilly whites, but remember 'WE'LL NEVER SHARE THE ABBEY!!!'

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find the Lower echeleons of football more satisfying these days, moreso then going to Molineux. Maybe it's a combination of all of my mates nolonger going down or the cheap prices/ability to have a drink pitchside alongside the more closer atmospheres that have swayed that.

J

Jungleee

I find the Lower echeleons of football more satisfying these days, moreso then going to Molineux. Maybe it's a combination of all of my mates nolonger going down or the cheap prices/ability to have a drink pitchside alongside the more closer atmospheres that have swayed that.

You'll find that you miss the proper matchday buzz that you get with following Wolves. Non-league just doesn't compare when the attendances are so low.

wolvesandbooze

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Do Leeds still smash up towns because thats all they were really known for...massive away support though.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good side. Gary Hackett's put together a good team there that have grabbed a few FA Cup headlines over the last couple of years. You'll probably recognise a few names from Wolves youth players.

They're at home to Leamington in an FA Cup replay on Tuesday which should be a match worth going to. £10 entry.

Thanks for that

Back
Top Bottom