Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No EFL 'New Deal'

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw the story that we were one of the 10 EPL clubs to scupper offering a new settlement to the EFL for payments from the Premier league to the Championship and beyond. Not sure what this means as the government has said that an independent regulator would force a deal on to the Premier League. The other 9 clubs were Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, Villa, Forest, Palace and Bournemouth

The argument against seems to be that football would be the only industry to force companies to make payments to potential competitor companies that may replace them in the future and the clubs in the EFL should run themselves better.

I can understand why Forest, Palace and Bournemouth voted against it, as part of the deal would see the removal of parachute payments and clubs fighting relegation don't want to see then end of that particular gravy train. Why did we I wonder?

Something needs to be done, but if not a redistribution of wealth then what?

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I used to care about other clubs existence but nowadays I’ll be honest and admit to a very selfish mindset in that as long as we’re OK I’m not too bothered. Finances in the game have changed it forever and not for the better in my opinion but I feel it’s too late to do anything about it now and so I just sit back and watch it all unfold.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw the story that we were one of the 10 EPL clubs to scupper offering a new settlement to the EFL for payments from the Premier league to the Championship and beyond. Not sure what this means as the government has said that an independent regulator would force a deal on to the Premier League. The other 9 clubs were Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, Villa, Forest, Palace and Bournemouth

The argument against seems to be that football would be the only industry to force companies to make payments to potential competitor companies that may replace them in the future and the clubs in the EFL should run themselves better.

I can understand why Forest, Palace and Bournemouth voted against it, as part of the deal would see the removal of parachute payments and clubs fighting relegation don't want to see then end of that particular gravy train. Why did we I wonder?

It doesn't look good does it. Prem teams pulling up the drawbridge behind them.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

It’s a strange mix of for and against no idea why we voted against it and Man Utd voted in favour?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Parachute payments are a bit of a nightmare. Take them away and you risk teams becoming financial disasters, leave them and you completely distort competition in the Championship.

Teams giving money to competitors is surely what the PL is all about though. Its success is partly based on the big 6 allowing money they generate to be spread through the PL to let the likes of us become competitive (not too competitive obviously!) and generate more interest in the league.

28thmarch1962

Reaction score
Seemingly not considering being relegated

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I wish premier league clubs would stick to their commitments to grassroots football first! They’ve not put in the promised amount and it stinks. EFL clubs get lots of opportunities to make money, grassroots clubs have to go fund raising time after time

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One swallow doesn't make a summer?

It's a double edged sword though. You either retain parachute payments or improve EFL payments on a whole?

One benefits us in the short term, the other would offer better protection in the long term...

Personally I'm disappointed in the club. It smacks of pulling up the ladder. Safeguarding the lower reaches of football seems the right thing to do, especially as it could easily be us again one day.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ccvzrbwha9tx.jpg

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I used to care about other clubs existence but nowadays I’ll be honest and admit to a very selfish mindset in that as long as we’re OK I’m not too bothered. Finances in the game have changed it forever and not for the better in my opinion but I feel it’s too late to do anything about it now and so I just sit back and watch it all unfold.
Taking that to the ultimate potential scenario, every other club could go out of business, as long as Wolves survive.

But then, who would there be left to play against? The very nature of the competition means that we need others competing.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Cynicism abounds.

It's a bad pickle the people who run the game have found themselves in. I don't see a way out that isn't painful, ugly, or both.

Protest that makes the status quo impossible (specifically makes broadcasting worse by delaying games etc) might help force the hand of the clubs who want to hold their nose, plug their ears, and cover their eyes. Don't really see that happening though.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you remove parachute payments then relegated teams will be hit by a double whammy of having to sell all their best players and facing a ffp penalty as they still have players on high wages they are unable to shift.

Is this about giving top tier championship teams an extra 10 million a season to gamble? What happens to the teams who are 1 year into their three year parachute payments? Do they get to keep the future payments.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Having seen several articles it appears that the clubs want the successor to FSP sorted before they even consider signing up to a deal with the EFL. Apparently they are quite prepared to have a Court battle with the regulator too....

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It doesn't look good does it. Prem teams pulling up the drawbridge behind them.
Frankly that is what happened when the PL was formed. Many of the EFL clubs whinging and whining had stints in the PL themselves. Funny old thing is that they weren't so keen on distributing money down the leagues then....

The House of Wolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
From an entirely selfish point of view I watched Wolves in the 2nd tier for most of my life and I’ve seen enough of that league to never want to go back.

If that means we “pull up the drawbridge” then so be it. No offence to any other clubs but like I said, I think we’ve seen our fair share of Championship football and done our bit in that god forsaken league.

If it makes us look bad then so be it. I care about Wolves and Wolves only these days.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
From an entirely selfish point of view I watched Wolves in the 2nd tier for most of my life and I’ve seen enough of that league to never want to go back.

If that means we “pull up the drawbridge” then so be it. No offence to any other clubs but like I said, I think we’ve seen our fair share of Championship football and done our bit in that god forsaken league.

If it makes us look bad then so be it. I care about Wolves and Wolves only these days.
Understand that, me too. However it's not actually pulling up the drawbridge is it? That would be some nightmare no relegation arrangement. Three teams will still go down. Maybe it just reduces the likelihood of those three coming straight back? No club is an island entire of itself, just one of the reasons the 'business' argument is bogus.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have been a Wolves fan all my life. My Dad, his dad before him. I love being in the Premier league, but I dont want it to become a closed shop. No-one has a divine right to be in the top flight, including us.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The same reason surely? We are not “established”.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same reason surely? We are not “established”.
We aren't 'established' as in not being a regular member of the top 6 but apart from a few months under Lage we haven't been anywhere near relegation either. Forest and Palace are in real danger this season and Bournemouth aren't totally safe. It's only us, Villa and West Ham that you'd put in that mid-table looking up rather than down bracket. I don't think the club see relegation as a realistic prospect from next season onwards

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For those saying i only care about wolves etc, its that complete self interest the reason we are in this mess.
Why would any investor want to give money to their competitors though, i do understand that from the owners point of view.
People say i dont care about those below us, lets pull up the drawbridge to the prem. Will be the same ones moaning the super league/ffp/top clubs are pulling up the drawbridge to the elite level.
These are the decisions which is making football less and less competitive and more and more about self interest.

'Ive seen my fair share of us in the championship so we deserve this' is absolute rubbish. What about those in it more than us surely Preston and Bristol city are therefore more deserving of a break from it?
We will rant and rave if we are below the line, but as soon as we are above it, I'm alright, Jack.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose part of our reasoning might be that as a club with a clear vision to be self-sufficient, why would we want to bail out some clubs who won't adopt the same approach?

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a tricky one, you can't have too much of a gap between the divisions else it will turn into the same 5/6 clubs swapping leagues every year but the kind of finances needed for the championship to consistently produce a variety of teams capable of keeping it interesting is huge now and if the premier league is to stay as the best in the world then they obviously don't want to give away too much.

Allowing the premier league to sell overseas TV rights as a joint package with the efl is a big step in the right direction but I feel we're getting to the point where a restructure of the football league, doing away with the league cup and possibly reducing the prem to 18 sides freeing up some money is how this will pan out.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I suppose part of our reasoning might be that as a club with a clear vision to be self-sufficient, why would we want to bail out some clubs who won't adopt the same approach?
thats a bit revisionist, we have only stated that in recent years. We are only close to the line thanks to being in the prem. Lets not forget we made a massive gamble spending to get in Neves, Jota, Nuno in the champ etc. How self sufficient would that be? Nearly all clubs in the premier league are loss making

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder why Wolves - a club who undertook such drastic financial remediation to stay within the rules that it cost us a manager, didn't want to give away some of their money to clubs at lower levels who don't know how to cut their cloth financially. It's a Scooby Doo mystery...

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frankly that is what happened when the PL was formed. Many of the EFL clubs whinging and whining had stints in the PL themselves. Funny old thing is that they weren't so keen on distributing money down the leagues then....
Indeed. Just look at Oldham, founder members of the PL.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have been a Wolves fan all my life. My Dad, his dad before him. I love being in the Premier league, but I dont want it to become a closed shop. No-one has a divine right to be in the top flight, including us.

But at the same time, why should we finance other clubs who in many cases fritter it away when we have such tight ffp rules in the league?

Like the 3pm blackout….. why should prem fans in England suffer not being able to watch their teams because lower level clubs don’t build loyal fanbases or more self sustaining models? Bloody joke!

If we have to be self sustaining, so should everyone else! Charity begins at home!

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you remove parachute payments then relegated teams will be hit by a double whammy of having to sell all their best players and facing a ffp penalty as they still have players on high wages they are unable to shift.

Is this about giving top tier championship teams an extra 10 million a season to gamble? What happens to the teams who are 1 year into their three year parachute payments? Do they get to keep the future payments.
Whilst parachute payments are the most visible redistribution method it seems that this was an attempt to find a way to redistribute funds down through the whole FL pyramid. Whilst I share the distaste at how footballs finances have evolved, (even pre- PL), I can understand the (current) PL clubs wanting to first have some clarification on how the new financial regulations (FSR ?) are going to impact them before committing to anything.

Last edited:

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im not across the ins and outs of this "new Deal" but if its individual clubs giving money to the rest then i can understand Wolves stance
The simplest way is giving more TV money to the EFL ,that would mean the biggest earners are the biggest donors
We are losing money every season, how are we supposed to help other teams that may be in a better financial position than ourselves?
Also new PSR rules could impact us even more,so ive no problem with us refusing this until other factors have been clarified

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, one season in L1 was OK, two seasons in Div 4 not too bad, 17(?) seasons in Div2/1/Champ not the best though!
If your including div 4, you got say div 3 too, those were the days my friend!

I enjoyed a few years in the championship too, sone grounds collected, over 100 in toast and standing on 74 out of the 92, I’d never have done that if we were only a premier league team

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Its a broad mix of clubs stopping the deal.

The Regulator will be appointed soon so there will be a redistribution of income coming. It maybe in the best interests of the PL to do a deal before one that could be even more favourable to the EFL clubs that's put in place by the Regulator.

It's negotiating tactics at the moment.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Regulator will be appointed soon so there will be a redistribution of income coming. It maybe in the best interests of the PL to do a deal before one that could be even more favourable to the EFL clubs that's put in place by the Regulator.

There is a fair to middling chance that the regulator will put English football on a collision course with FIFA.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This.

Another deal or two will be rejected, before in the last hour prior to the new regulator steps in, a deal is accepted.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We don't have an organisation like in rugby or NFL, where every club needs to be granted a license to play in a competition, every player needs to be granted a license to pay for a club..... then everybody plays for the organisation that runs the competition which manages commercials and discipline on behalf of 'the collective' and then redistributes earned wealth to the competitors and a huge range of supportive grass roots organisations like schools and lower earning clubs to both keep the fans interested and the players coming through.

We run football like a business, so much so that these days the 'business' side predominates over the sporting side.
Under these rules No Premier League club owes anything to anybody else, they serve the contracts that they bargain for and sign. The Premier League run themselves basically, and this uneasy alliance with the FA has been built on the threat of forming a separate organisation for the last 25 years.

For years, the idea of making payments to any lower league clubs that help sustain the sport has almost been seen as a charity or socialist relief payment to keep people quiet.
We've just spent 15 years voting for politics and promoting an 'I'm alright Jack' society that doesn't believe in any sort of benefit and a lot of supportive relief organisations now no longer exist, we don't believe in regulation, we say we want to promote free trade and become business competitive again, so is there any support for this except from supporters of lower league clubs? Or do we actually believe some things are worth subsidising? I don't know anymore, i doubt if anybody has a stable position on anything?

Wolves, like most EPL clubs are foreign-owned and directly funded by overseas money invested to a business, taking most of it's money from overseas TV contracts and a rich foreign man's pocket. What does any club owe to the grassroots or lower league clubs in England?

Here is why they think like that.
Lower league clubs have less direct affect on Premier League clubs then ever before.
The feeder for most Premier League clubs now isn't the lower leagues of English football, it's places like Portugal or South America.
Most Premier League clubs now have big academies where they vacuum up English kids direct from school and they do their player trading with other academies. Look at Wolves.....we get cast off schoolboy players from Man City and Liverpool when they're released, we rarely go to Walsall and pay anything because it's unlikely they'll have anybody good enough.
The only way a bunch of English players will get into the EPL is if they get promoted with a Luton Town or a West Brom, and even those clubs now have a high proportion of foreign players in preference to English ones, so where are their grass roots?
The only benefit in supporting these clubs to a small extent, is to allow the continuing deception of open competition when the hope is that they will be so rubbish they will get relegated immediately.
Let's face it....there is nothing any middling Premier League club like Wolves, Bournemouth or Fulham would like to see more than 3 weak clubs getting promoted every year. Why give them money to compete with you?

Last edited:

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Agree with this. Will we be OK? Will we still exist? If the answer to both is yes then I am fine. WWFC is football to me so as long as we are around then everything is alright with me.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven’t read all the posts but if we have to pay then let the richer clubs pay a higher proportion of their income,
Couldn’t agree more but in the past they’ve argued they deserve MORE money as they’re the ones that bring eyeballs to the premier league.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think this is about giving efl clubs more money but the new rules would further protect the big 6, I don't blame the clubs for rejecting the proposals.

Bossworld

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven’t read all the posts but if we have to pay then let the richer clubs pay a higher proportion of their income,
They would argue that those outside the Sky Six receive a disproportionately high share of TV revenue already. The UK PL collective TV money seems fairer than what Spain seemingly does where they negotiate deals separately.

When you look at Sky being contractually obliged to bill Burnley vs Luton as "Super Sunday", you can almost see their point.

Back
Top Bottom