Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New Portugal Head Coach

Stee

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He must have some juicy dirt on a lot of people surely?

Average coach and that feels generous!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hear me out, but I don't think he did that badly as Belgium manager. In both the WC2018 and EURO2020 they only narrowly lost to the eventual winners (France and Italy). Qatar was a disaster but the team was too old and well past their prime (not to mention Lukaku missing 3 sitters in that last game). Think he has something like a 70% win rate as Belgium manger and had them as the World no1 under his watch.

He has issues, mainly organising defences, but he's nowhere near as bad a manager the media seem to enjoy trolling him as to the public. I think his style of play would actually suit the type of players Portugal have right now.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure he's a nice bloke, and I'm sure he's a decent manager, but to me he'll always be the door handle who managed Wigan, and I despise Wigan, so **** him and his dopey face.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s almost admirable how somebody so **** can be so smug

floydstreet

Reaction score
Crazy
Wasted Belgian talent at its peak
His teams generally can’t defend
I don’t understand the pull aside from he is articulate. He’s employed to win euros not read the news. Very odd Nuno has a better record

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is a decent manager but he certainly struggles to set a team up well in the defensive third.

He didn't win anything with Belgium but no doubt they were a good side. Always felt it is pretty silly to say a top national side should be winning titles. You only get a chance every two years and there will generally be three or four other sides more than capable of winning the trophy.

Three major tournaments in which they finished 3rd losing to eventual champions France, a QF losing to eventual winners Italy and then of course the mess that was this world cup.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really don't understand why Martinez keeps getting top level jobs
I thought that, and then remembered I have also been paid quite handsomely (although granted nowhere near Martinez' level) for doing bugger all since the world cup started

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hear me out, but I don't think he did that badly as Belgium manager. In both the WC2018 and EURO2020 they only narrowly lost to the eventual winners (France and Italy). Qatar was a disaster but the team was too old and well past their prime (not to mention Lukaku missing 3 sitters in that last game). Think he has something like a 70% win rate as Belgium manger and had them as the World no1 under his watch.

He has issues, mainly organising defences, but he's nowhere near as bad a manager the media seem to enjoy trolling him as to the public. I think his style of play would actually suit the type of players Portugal have right now.

Style over substance. Relegation with Wigan. Sacked at Everton. Belgian world no 1 ranking, first manager to do so since Marc Wilmots did it a couple of year before. Noone is queueing up for wilmots though.
Paul Jewell never took Wigan down. Steve Bruce Bruce never took Wigan down. Steve Bruce never signed Jason Scotland.
He comes across as an intelligent nice guy, but everything in football is ultimately a competition. We all turn things into "this guy is a complete idiot" and "that guy is the messiah" when in reality they are all people with strengths and weaknesses.
But I don't see what Martinez has done to warrant the top job of a country that has plenty of tactically astute managers.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stinks of Moyes to United this.

Fernando Santos has been the most successful Portugal manager of all time. It's a huge ask for a manager to go in and follow that.

The new manager also has the added ****-sandwich of having to manage their most successful player out of the side.

Martinez feels a bit like a patsy appointment. Go in, do all the dirty work, fail, then leave a proper manager (maybe Mourinho) to come in and pick up the pieces.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always makes me laugh when Dendonker fans at Wolves (and now Vile) say how he is an international......but leave out who the manager is (was)

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stinks of Moyes to United this.

Fernando Santos has been the most successful Portugal manager of all time. It's a huge ask for a manager to go in and follow that.

The new manager also has the added ****-sandwich of having to manage their most successful player out of the side.

Martinez feels a bit like a patsy appointment. Go in, do all the dirty work, fail, then leave a proper manager (maybe Mourinho) to come in and pick up the pieces.
Someone like Lage would have been good as they could have let Ronaldo walk all over him until Ronaldo retired.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Roberto Martinez was called Bob Martin he wouldn’t get a job in non-league football let alone be an international manager.
Surely Bob Martin is a more exotic name in Portugal than Roberto Martinez!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always makes me laugh when Dendonker fans at Wolves (and now Vile) say how he is an international......but leave out who the manager is (was)
That Nuno must have been **** too he bought him and played him loads.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That Nuno must have been **** too he bought him and played him loads.
Wolves are not the same level as the Belgian national team. We were/are an aspiring top 6 premier league team...that Belgium team should/could have been challenging for major honours.
I quite like and would have kept dendonker, but getting in that Belgian team is a different argument

Back
Top Bottom