Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New Fans

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No way can you compare it to the love of family.
Absolutely! For the fans, football is entertainment, it's a game, the whole idea is to create excitement.

And even if you do compare it to a family, support is helping with problems, not denying that there are any. Although the latter has it's proponents in these "we can do anything we want if we just dream hard enough" times. Although as an ageing realist, I call that "delusional" not "helpful support" :)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be but I never say 'oh remember where we were 6 seasons ago and buying Nathan Byrne'. What's that got to do with anything? I'm amazed how many people on here still use this as a legitimate reason for not criticising things at Wolves.

Exactly! Nathan Byrne was OK, what about Grant Holt, eh? All Grant Holt did was come on for 10 minutes at the end of a few matches, wander about looking lost and never look like scoring. Fabio Silva, in total contrast...err..OK . :D At least we've moved on from those days.

D

Deleted member 11157

I might be but I never say 'oh remember where we were 6 seasons ago and buying Nathan Byrne'. What's that got to do with anything? I'm amazed how many people on here still use this as a legitimate reason for not criticising things at Wolves.

If we had De Bruyne, Mane and Aguero I might be critical of little old Wolves daring to flirt with sixth place and getting to the final stages of the Europa Cup. I see the general trend and try to contexualise. I am more than happy with the boys and expect them to progress and become a top four team. Not just yet.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are opinion based to a degree but not really. If I said my opinion was that Wolves were great at West Ham or Palace deserved to beat Wolves, that's still wrong.

Yep, maybe he doesn't think Vitinha is good enough, which is worrying as we need someone like him in the team in my opinion and the opinion of many others.

It matters because generally speaking the top teams have the most shots on target, pretty obvious I know. So the fact we're down at the level of West Brom, Sheffield United and Burnley is wrong. We have better players than them, we have better players than most teams in this league but we don't show it.

Again, stop saying 'see outside the last performance at any time'. It's not the last performance. It's a growing trend despite what you've said so stop dismissing points as reactionary when they aren't.

So where was your level headedness after we scraped past Leeds thanks to a shot that a toddler would have saved until it was deflected? I must have missed the comments when you told those to calm down as they said we were great. I'll apologise once you direct me to those posts.

Finally, more exaggerating. I'm not asking for all-out attack, more balance. We have attacking players that should be capable of so much more.
So much of that is your opinion as opposed to facts, all im pointing out is that Nuno clearly doesnt agree with you and ultimately he picks the team.

They are reactionary points because we've lost.

Hand on heart would you be saying all this if we had got a VERY good draw away at Leicester yesterday?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well ive been around since the 50s and i criticise when its called for,like i did yesterday on Nunos tactics

We all know we live in a "i want it all and i want it now" society in many respects,but i certainly dont blame any negativity on any section of fan base,we all love Wolves and want them to be the best they can be

Of course there will be differing view points,thats football, in fact thats life

When we win i dont claim we are world beaters,when we lose i dont say we are relegation fodder,i just comment on relative performances whether good, bad or indifferent,thats the purpose of a forum and no one should be berated for offering a different view point

I found yesterday just frustrating,as i know we have good players all across the pitch,but they seemed to be asked to play in a way that is holding back their flair and creativity
I may be wrong and maybe it was just a poor day at the office for a lot of them,it happens,but it didnt look that way to me,which is why i spoke up against Nuno in this instance

It doesnt mean i think he is a poor manager,or that we have suddenly become a bad team,it is just he has got into a certain way of playing and needs to adjust his thinking slightly imo,as its holding back a lot of our players attacking instincts, again in my opinion

If my thoughts on this upset people,thats unfortunate,and i will willingly debate the subject if asked to,thats what this forum is all about,or at least i hope it is

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you'll find it's about showing loyalty and sticking up for a loved one like you would a family member regardless what has gone before. Sadly loyalty is a rare commodity nowadays fans and players alike
No, no no....not at all......this NOT about loyalty.
This thread is about you thinking you’re better than some fans. Snobbery.

Anyway, Wolves are attracting new fans all the time. Better get used to it.

superwolves

Reaction score

Are they? What I hear is were boring to watch our players aren't good enough and we should have won the league by now. Cant imagine there being 10 thousand in the crowd if some of the comments are lead to be believed

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So much of that is your opinion as opposed to facts, all im pointing out is that Nuno clearly doesnt agree with you and ultimately he picks the team.

They are reactionary points because we've lost.

Hand on heart would you be saying all this if we had got a VERY good draw away at Leicester yesterday?
Yes, I would. I proved that after the Leeds. I don't like the way we play and I think we are capable of much better.

I said it on another post, my 'negativity' is that I appear to think these players are good! It seems a lot on here don't rate them at all.

Also, it's a fact that we've had a low number of shots on target. My opinion was we are better than West Brom, Sheffield United etc. Do you disagree with that opinion?

In fact, reading it back, hardly anything was my opinion. I asked again, why didn't you call for calm after we beat Leeds in a tight game?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will the new fans now watching wolves become a hinderence to our team. I know we've never had the most patient fanbase but surely anyone from the 4th 3rd division days watching wolves now are living in paradise. I cant imagine many of those would be all over social media sites putting down our team for a loss. I hope our new generation of fans can allow our team to continue to grow
Just fans that care and who are making constructive criticism. Everyone wants us to fulfill our potential and succeed.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are they? What I hear is were boring to watch our players aren't good enough and we should have won the league by now. Cant imagine there being 10 thousand in the crowd if some of the comments are lead to be believe
Your thread is about new fans and you’re attitude to them.

Lets see this for what it is.......you think you’re better than them and they should only watch but not comment.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I would. I proved that after the Leeds. I don't like the way we play and I think we are capable of much better.

I said it on another post, my 'negativity' is that I appear to think these players are good! It seems a lot on here don't rate them at all.

Also, it's a fact that we've had a low number of shots on target. My opinion was we are better than West Brom, Sheffield United etc. Do you disagree with that opinion?

In fact, reading it back, hardly anything was my opinion. I asked again, why didn't you call for calm after we beat Leeds in a tight game?
You're negativity is that you dont like how we play. That is of personal opinion. You say about performances but thats opinion based as opposed to however good/bad we actually are.

Of course we are better than those teams, thats why we have considerably more points than them. Im fairly sure shots on target is meaningless comparison against points. You can have 10 shots in a game for 30 yards out and keeper is sat behind everyone one, or you can have one shot from 8 yards and win 1-0.

I didnt call for anything after Leeds. I probably told a few they had been wrong, which they had. Leeds for some bizarre reason were being held up as some kind of beacon of football, with great recruitment, playing great football with a demi god of a manager. When in fact, they have brought some bang average footballers, play naive football (albeit entertaining as a neutral) and have a manager who wont finish the season as he's a perenial loser reknowned for running teams into the ground in the latter months. Far too many on here look over the fence at other clubs and are rarely right. Everton won a couple and were being tipped to win the league.

superwolves

Reaction score
Just fans that care and who are making constructive criticism. Everyone wants us to fulfill our potential and succeed.
There are 20 teams in the league trying to do the same thing there has to be a realistic view weve only been in the league 5 minutes. Let's see where were at when nuno has had another 6 transfer windows with full backing. It's as if some cant understand why were not 10 points clear at the top already

superwolves

Reaction score
Your thread is about new fans and you’re attitude to them.

Lets see this for what it is.......you think you’re better than them and they should only watch but not comment.
The new fans came from that I'd have thought many of the fans who watched wolves in the 4th 3rd division days where we couldn't string 2 passes together will be in dreamland to get to see the wolves of today and I'd presume be more understanding of an off day. The new fans on the scene which there obviously are now theres 30k at games have only known mainly success and been spoilt. Let's be patient and let the team develop it doesn't happen with a couple of transfer windows it takes time

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The new fans came from that I'd have thought many of the fans who watched wolves in the 4th 3rd division days where we couldn't string 2 passes together will be in dreamland to get to see the wolves of today and I'd presume be more understanding of an off day. The new fans on the scene which there obviously are now theres 30k at games have only known mainly success and been spoilt. Let's be patient and let the team develop it doesn't happen with a couple of transfer windows it takes time
Spoilt? Good grief.
Well maybe you shouldn’t have only chosen to pick on new fans only.
Ok, we can leave it there.

superwolves

Reaction score
Spoilt? Good grief.
Well maybe you shouldn’t have only chosen to pick on new fans only.
Ok, we can leave it there.
Dont you think anyone new on the scene hasn't been spoilt? It's all been one way from steam rolling through the championship watching players like neves to being classed as one of the best new teams in the premier to getting into Europe and breaking our transfer record on several occasions. Was people expecting the graph to keep going up and up getting into the top 4 this year then winning the league the season after. A slight decrease in form gets jumped all over which in my opinion is not called for and doesn't benefit anything

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have definitely gathered more so called fans over the last few years........ Just on my Facebook alone I see messages from our biggest fans nw who were mostly man utd fans years ago.. Local people obviously.... See 2 or 3 regularly at away games... Never miss a minute to tell them mind..... Best one I have had though seen a bloke who I used to work with 15 years ago at at away game and he is always posting negative stuff on dingles aye we..... Funny thing was when I used to work with him he didn't like football..........

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be interesting to read Man City forums after they lose (not very often I know).... wonder if they have fans who criticise others saying "You should be grateful we are 2nd in the league and win cups often, I remember being in League One..." I imagine their fans want to win the Champions League beyond anything else right now! Is that being ungrateful?

I was there in the bad times of the 80s, went home and away in the darkest days, yet I ALWAYS want to see us striving for better. Its amazing we are top half of PL, but results like yesterday really frustrate me - more about the way we played, knowing we can do so much better.

Never once do I think "oh well, I remember being at Darlington at the mid week game in April 1986, so I can't complain." I DO love where we are right now, and very grateful for Fosun/Nuno etc, but I always want us to strive for higher.

The lads get praise when they win, and questions raised when they lose. Thats life. Frustrating on here some fans (I include myself in that) afraid to speak their mind through the risk of being jumped on. @JOSWolf - I applaud you!

Loved the Europa League last year, loved finishing 7th again, but I desperately want it again now. Sorry. If I knew the players and management weren't capable then we'd all lower our expectations - but the excitement this team WE KNOW is capable, and the ambition of our owners, is naturally making us want more.

Cheers mate. Dont ever be afraid to speak your mind. I wont let a few on here who resort to insults and digs put me off you shouldnt either and nor should anyone.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a boom or bust situation with a lot of posters. There are an element who just cant take a result on the chin. Regardless of performance as thats opinion based. The fact is we lost to a dubious penalty (that falls outside the current laws of the game) to a very good team. Take our medicine, stop wobbling our knees and move onto the next game.

You got ridiculed about xG because its a flawed system and you were trying to use it justify a negative view.

People questioning where Vitinha is are of the same ilk, desperately trying to find a fault or a justification to a result.

Major issues? Oh come on, seriously get a grip with that. 3 points off the champions league spots, 1 loss in 5 to a refereeing error. Ridiculous.

I think fans have a right to question what is happening with Vitinha. A player we have an obligation to buy for 20 million who is nowhere near the first team since lockdown after playing very well for Portugal u21's. The sort of style central midfield player we need to give us a bit more attacking threat through the middle and nowhere to be seen.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because performances are purely opinion based, results arent. Results are pure facts.

Maybe just maybe our head coach is happy with how the midfield is performing. Maybe having brought Vitinha in he can see on the training ground that he isnt ready yet.

I'll wager that the same people who were ringing their hands about how Leeds started the campaign and how they had invested so much better than we did, said the same about Fulham in the firs season in the premier league. Everton were the same and now theyve gone on a 3 match losing streak. What is the point comparing us to other teams? What does it matter how many chances West Brom, Burnley, Sheffield have had?

Im far from biased. Im neither a happy clapper or a bed wetter. Im level headed. I have patience, I see outside of the last performance at any time. There is no panic, there is no massive trend in our performances. We have good days and bad days like everyone else in this league currently. Neto and Podence were awful yesterday, does that mean they need replacing?

You are absolutely barking up the wrong tree if you think Nuno is suddenly going to take the handbrake off and we start savaging teams, thats just not in his DNA as a coach.

If your last paragraph is correct then I cant see us becoming a top club anytime soon. The shackles are well and truly on the players as it is and Raul looked fed up yesterday and I cant say I blame him when he is getting virtually no service or support.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are they? What I hear is were boring to watch our players aren't good enough and we should have won the league by now. Cant imagine there being 10 thousand in the crowd if some of the comments are lead to be believed

Who has said we should have won the league by now? I must have missed that.

D

Deleted member 8913

I don’t think it has anything to do with new fans or old fans...

there may be some who were around when we won the league in that wonderful summer of 1959...a very fine year for claret.

some may have memories of the wonderful Dave wagstaffe

some may recall division four.(no I don’t ...I think I blanked the memory)

the real issue is expectations and a realistic grasp of how difficult it is to join the big six and understanding of the economic sustainability of the business model...we desperately need new fans to build the revenue base without which we can never challenge the big six...however those who saw us beat Manchester city twice last season are obviously impatient for success at that level..they expect sustained success.

in simple terms performance = expectations minus perception ...and that will be different for every fan.it’s the hope that kills you.

I do agree with the moderators that threads which abuse other fans are pointless...the original poster was sincere and did not intend to offend...some may call him arrogant and other abuse...this is a public message board and not everyone will agree...my advice is when anonymous people call you names don’t worry at all...no need even to tell them to go forth and multiply or words to that effect .

disagreeing politely is very hard but doesn’t cost much ...as a famous manager once said ....it’s a game...it’s not life and death...it’s much more important that that.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I doubt we have attracted any new ones this season so far!

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are 20 teams in the league trying to do the same thing there has to be a realistic view weve only been in the league 5 minutes. Let's see where were at when nuno has had another 6 transfer windows with full backing. It's as if some cant understand why were not 10 points clear at the top already

I simply want us to start actually attacking opposing teams properly again and scoring more goals. Apart from the odd game we seem to have forgotten how to do this. The current style of football is turgid, boring, lacking in goals and creativity and that is why quite a few are getting concerned and frustrated as we have some very good players who appear to be playing with the shackles on. We werent playing anywhere near like this in our first season back in the premier league. Why has our style regressed so much?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didnt call for anything after Leeds. I probably told a few they had been wrong, which they had. Leeds for some bizarre reason were being held up as some kind of beacon of football, with great recruitment, playing great football with a demi god of a manager. When in fact, they have brought some bang average footballers, play naive football (albeit entertaining as a neutral) and have a manager who wont finish the season as he's a perenial loser reknowned for running teams into the ground in the latter months. Far too many on here look over the fence at other clubs and are rarely right. Everton won a couple and were being tipped to win the league.

We are only 3 points ahead of those "bang average" footballers at Leeds with their "perennial loser" manager playing "naive football" that is winning them fans all over the world. They've played 3 of the top 6, too, where we've played just 1. I really hope we don't end up regretting your hubris.

BTW I agree that Leeds players are average, however their manager has got the team playing better than the sum of their parts. I think with us, it is the opposite. Our top quality footballers are possibly being stifled into stagnation through too much regimentation

superwolves

Reaction score
I simply want us to start actually attacking opposing teams properly again and scoring more goals. Apart from the odd game we seem to have forgotten how to do this. The current style of football is turgid, boring, lacking in goals and creativity and that is why quite a few are getting concerned and frustrated as we have some very good players who appear to be playing with the shackles on. We werent playing anywhere near like this in our first season back in the premier league. Why has our style regressed so much?
Nuno is doing what he feels will get results hes well paid to make these decisions and was up for manager of the month. I'm sure he would love to play free expansion attacking football but would that get us the results? Leeds are being found out for trying this way. He will get the balance right hes not had time on the training ground with international call ups ontop of everything else going on. I would say be realistic to fans look at teams like Newcastle Southampton everton palace west ham who have been in the league far longer than us were competing and will have good and bad performances like everyone else. Everyone wants instant success but unfortunately it doesn't happen like that. The team deserves backing to help them grow not barracked at any opportunity

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If your last paragraph is correct then I cant see us becoming a top club anytime soon. The shackles are well and truly on the players as it is and Raul looked fed up yesterday and I cant say I blame him when he is getting virtually no service or support.
He just isn't an expansive manager

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a way I understand what your trying to say @superwolves, but you do realise you sound like the old biddy down the street, who reckons she rules it, and you can't park your wheelie bin there, because she's lived there for 40 years? :p

Last edited:

superwolves

Reaction score
In a way I understand what your trying to say @superwolves, but you realise you sound like the old biddy down the down the street, who reckons she rules it, and you can't park your wheelie bin there, because she's lived there for 40 years :p
I respect what you say mate I think were cut from the same cloth and from the same era. I'm old fashioned in my views and am thankful im that way. Football loyalty isn't what it was from fans and players. There will never be another bully unfortunately

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are only 3 points ahead of those "bang average" footballers at Leeds with their "perennial loser" manager playing "naive football" that is winning them fans all over the world. They've played 3 of the top 6, too, where we've played just 1. I really hope we don't end up regretting your hubris.

BTW I agree that Leeds players are average, however their manager has got the team playing better than the sum of their parts. I think with us, it is the opposite. Our top quality footballers are possibly being stifled into stagnation through too much regimentation
This is it and, for me, is what it all boils down to.

As I said on the other thread, the people getting criticised for negativity are suggesting that we have quality players that are capable of more. The negativity is that we think the players are good!!

Despite the many points, I still have yet to see a poster claim that we don't have good players. Reans is open about his criticism of the midfield and many would agree we need one more but even he gets shot down for that. (That's not saying Reans doesn't think we're good enough overall but he's the only one I can think of)

Is there anyone else? Tell us these players aren't good enough. Tell us why we aren't good to attack. Which players aren't good enough?

Essentially, they want it both ways. They don't accept any criticism of the players and they don't accept it of the manager.

BigSteve

Reaction score
Will the new fans now watching wolves become a hinderence to our team. I know we've never had the most patient fanbase but surely anyone from the 4th 3rd division days watching wolves now are living in paradise. I cant imagine many of those would be all over social media sites putting down our team for a loss. I hope our new generation of fans can allow our team to continue to grow

I don't think it's an issue with 'new fans'.

With more success, fans' expectations change and change quickly. This applies to most fans old and new, I'd say.

When we got stuffed by West Ham the other day, I took little solace from the fact we have been ****e for most of the last 40 years.

superwolves

Reaction score

With more success, fans' expectations change and change quickly. This applies to most fans old and new, I'd say.

When we got stuffed by West Ham the other day, I took little solace from the fact we have been ****e for most of the last 40 years.
I think your probably right I do feel people need to be realistic about what can be achieved in such a short space of time in the league especially now your only allowed 2 transfer windows a season

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don't forget the club chairman himself has set these incredibly high expectations. Fans wouldn't have such expectations if ownership didn't.

Back
Top Bottom