Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neves

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Thought he had a really poor game today but has been our Player of the Season by an absolute mile.

A midfield of him, Nunes and Lemina will be great for the rest of the season.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Thought he had a really poor game today but has been our Player of the Season by an absolute mile.

Agree. No one apart from Collins and Bueno played well today.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love him but he is playing far too deep at times and not just today. He needs and we need to be playing a higher line.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn’t have the engine of Xhaka that’s why. The reason he plays like Pirlo is he has the same gaps that Pirlo had in his game, he simply can’t get round a pitch (well effectively anyway)
He’s more robust than Pirlo but obviously levels below in terms of what Pirlo did best (and I’m a big Neves fan)

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love him but he is playing far too deep at times and not just today. He needs and we need to be playing a higher line.
I think it’s the same argument we made in the latter part of Nunos reign that neves was so deep his contribution for what he can offer was suppressed a bit, at the start of Bruno’s reign I thought neves thrived on being further forward, perhaps Julen now having Nunes as the ‘runner’ from the middle is why we’re seeing neves deeper again but he’s often further back than the centre backs playing the ball to the full backs

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I might be old fashioned but I will always maintain a deep lying midfielder is a player wasted for me. If your defence is adequate, you shouldn’t need one.

Modern day tactics focus too much on the negative side of the game and trying not to concede goals, instead of finding ways of scoring them. Since Wolves got back to the Prem, our best games have been when we take the game to the opposition and play on the front foot. Why do we so rarely stick to what we do best?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be old fashioned but I will always maintain a deep lying midfielder is a player wasted for me. If your defence is adequate, you shouldn’t need one.

Modern day tactics focus too much on the negative side of the game and trying not to concede goals, instead of finding ways of scoring them. Since Wolves got back to the Prem, our best games have been when we take the game to the opposition and play on the front foot. Why do we so rarely stick to what we do best?

Agree with every word of this.

We effectively field 8 players whose first priority is stopping the other team scoring.

floydstreet

Reaction score
City play a deep lying midfielder

Yet are attacking fluent and expansive

It’s not the role, it’s the players and system around it.

For what it’s worth
Whatever the question is, Neves isn’t the problem
Been our best player week in week out for 18 months by and large. Just needs fluency and movement infront of him (think Jota, Doherty, Raul from previous years).
Movement around needs to improve

CrazyCrane

Groupie
Reaction score
He absolutely cannot box to box, hence why no manager who he’s played under has ever asked him to do it
Doesn't mean he hasn't got an engine, just can't cover for everyone else's deficiencies. If we had 10 other players equally efficient their roll we'd be champions of Europe.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
City play a deep lying midfielder

Yet are attacking fluent and expansive

It’s not the role, it’s the players and system around it.

For what it’s worth
Whatever the question is, Neves isn’t the problem
Been our best player week in week out for 18 months by and large. Just needs fluency and movement infront of him (think Jota, Doherty, Raul from previous years).
Movement around needs to improve
Some of our (what should be simple) passes are absolutely woeful and that seems an infection within the whole team. We must be the worst passers in the league.

Everything we do is so predictable, other teams can see it coming too easily. For me, centre mid needs to be a player who gets up and down and is prepared to run beyond the forward line on occasions and play one-two’s in the process.

Our midfield have stifled us for so long now. This isn’t a league where standing in the centre circle, making passes at walking pace, works. All the successful teams are, pass and move, pass and move.

I honestly can’t remember the last time a passage of play from Wolves, took my breath away or left me aghast. Everything they do is just so readable. We can’t do anything at pace.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn't mean he hasn't got an engine, just can't cover for everyone else's deficiencies. If we had 10 other players equally efficient their roll we'd be champions of Europe.
Watch the play before the penalty, Neves gave the ball away, then was unable to recover and caught the players heel while trying to get back behind the ball.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got a decent amount of stamina, runs/jogs around the pitch for 90mins decently enough and rarely gets injured, but really lacks in top speed and acceleration, which are vital in a midfielder in todays game (and probably why, despite his amazing passing talent and ability to keep possession, he hasn't got his big move yet). Big reason we also can't play him further forward as an attacking-mid/no10 as he just can't run past a player. Bringing in players in the mould of Lamina and (hopefully) Gomes will allow him some freedom to at least get forward a bit more than he usually does.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even at Porto who dominate the league he played as he does now. I’m not knocking him but to think he can box to box is simply wrong

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got a decent amount of stamina, runs/jogs around the pitch for 90mins decently enough and rarely gets injured, but really lacks in top speed and acceleration, which are vital in a midfielder in todays game (and probably why, despite his amazing passing talent and ability to keep possession, he hasn't got his big move yet). Big reason we also can't play him further forward as an attacking-mid/no10 as he just can't run past a player. Bringing in players in the mould of Lamina and (hopefully) Gomes will allow him some freedom to at least get forward a bit more than he usually does.
Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if that's the plan for next season (if we stay up and he doesn't move on). Gomes and Lemina further back, with Neves just in front of them. Lemina and Gomes could give Neves the time he needs to make his plays.

Then again, if Neves (and Nunes) move on... I think that we probably just want the two physical / destroyer like midfielders there and Sarabia will drop into the attacking mid roll.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves looked far better against West Ham when he was getting further forwards and looked like he very much had an engine in that game to me. He is playing far too deep at times though and this is not helping our attacking play and leaves huge gaps at times. When you have both Moutinho and Neves in central midfield it is little wonder we arent getting enough players to attack the opponents box as a lot of other teams do as they are both far too deep at times and Moutinho doesnt have the legs to get forwards quickly enough.

Neves is a fantastic player but Lopetegui has to be telling him to play a higher line and not as a sweeper for large portions of games. It is one of many reasons why are goal scoring is so poor.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a serious note, it’s crazy to think back to the day we signed him, not really knowing who he was (be honest) but then reading up on him and thinking, Christ, he sounds decent, hope we can get a good season or two out of him.

Now here we are. For me though, it’s not even so much on the pitch, it’s the man himself. I think he’s a proper throwback. That’s the reason I think we all love him so much, he’s the nearest thing to Bully we have ever had. I wouldn’t even be the slightest bit surprised to see him here this time next year.

For me he goes down with names like Bull, Richards, Hibbitt, Bailey. Absolutely love the bloke. Like, proper love him!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The extra mettle Lemina brings loosens the shackles on Neves meaning he can burst forward.

I really like the look of Lemina, signing him would have been unnecessary if we'd stumped up the cash for Palhinha in the summer.

If rumours are true that we were his favoured destination, it's ridiculous we didn't sign him. May have kept Lage's head above water.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On a serious note, it’s crazy to think back to the day we signed him, not really knowing who he was (be honest) but then reading up on him and thinking, Christ, he sounds decent, hope we can get a good season or two out of him.

Now here we are. For me though, it’s not even so much on the pitch, it’s the man himself. I think he’s a proper throwback. That’s the reason I think we all love him so much, he’s the nearest thing to Bully we have ever had. I wouldn’t even be the slightest bit surprised to see him here this time next year.

For me he goes down with names like Bull, Richards, Hibbitt, Bailey. Absolutely love the bloke. Like, proper love him!
Correct on all counts.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there any vague hope Julen gets in his ear and squeezes one more season out of him? Would have to be a contract extension, as its cash in at season end or lose him for free territory now.
No-one could begrudge him greener pastures, but surely now we finally have a setup capable of giving Ruben something like the level he deserves?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Best player I’ve seen in the Old Gold in my lifetime (first game 1992). Comfortably.

I think when he inevitably goes, sooner than later I fear, it will be quite conceivable that it will be the first time I’ve shed a tear when we’ve sold a player since David Kelly left - one of my first Wolves heroes!

el gringo

Reaction score
However long Neves has left at the club, Wolves can be very proud of having a player like him play for us.

Watch the sprint to get into the great position that resulted in the goal. A masterclass who leads by example. Always looks so composed on the ball.
I often comment to my friends about how even PL players when one-on-one with the goalie blast it straight at the goalie. Happens all the time, when all they would have to do would be to slide it into the corner, with no force. Superb slide by Neves.

Back
Top Bottom