Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nationalities

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a query rather than a rant, but does anyone know when the first time wolves fielded a totally non-English side was?

I'm sure it has happened already with our Irish and Welsh contingent but not too sure

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just a query rather than a rant, but does anyone know when the first time wolves fielded a totally non-English side was?

I'm sure it has happened already with our Irish and Welsh contingent but not too sure

Don't think it would have happened recently with players like Keogh, Henry, Kightly and Jarvis regularly in the side over the McCarthy area.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need to be careful because of the rules on having 8+ (i think) Home-grown players in the squad of 25 when we get back up.

B

Batman

Could happen now though:-

Ikeme
Zubar
Ward
Margreitter
Berra
Boukari
Sako
Edwards
Doumbia
Sigurdarson
Doyle

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could happen now though:-

Ikeme
Zubar
Ward
Margreitter
Berra
Boukari
Sako
Edwards
Doumbia
Sigurdarson
Doyle

Thankfully Edwards wouldn't play ahead of Henry plus Ikeme is English anyway.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be astounded if we've ever fielded a completely non-english side... even including homegrown players...

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Declared for Nigeria though. Put De Vries there instead if you wanna split hairs though!

Yes but he's still English :) And I hope De Vries never starts another game in goal for us haha

E

Essex Wolf

I would be astounded if we've ever fielded a completely non-english side... even including homegrown players...

Could happen mind with Stale making most of his signings from abroad.

When Hennessey is fit and should he take back the No1 jersey then the back four could contain Zubar, Margreitter and Elokobi, centre midfield of Doumbia and Sako, winger of Peszco and Doyle up front. That's 8 non English players that could well feature before any further signings are made.

B

Batman

Yes but he's still English :) And I hope De Vries never starts another game in goal for us haha

Hennessey? :D

Just messing but it is possible that we could put out a non-english team. Not that it bothers me especially when Scots and Welsh are in the side. It is still nice to have some British idendity.

C

Craddockinho

If they were all from Panama and we got promoted I couldn't care less.

Nationality is an abstract concept anyway.

One love.

W

WasStefan

Because he's crap maybe?
And you're basing that on what?

If you're basing it on one carling cup game early last season then you're a fool.

He had a run of 5/6 games at the end of last season and didn't put a foot wrong.

But don't let facts...

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they were all from Panama and we got promoted I couldn't care less.

Nationality is an abstract concept anyway.

One love.

Exactly, it doesn't matter but if we have ever had a team of none English players, being an English club, you'd think someone would know

L

long ball man

I think it does matter actually. The affinity we had with the team c. 2006/10 was to a large extent based on the fact that the 'young and hungry' players were British.

Funny I should have this view really as not one for flag waving patriotism as a rule...after all the concept of being Proud to be British, English, Black Country etc is nebulous; after all it is nothing more than an accident of birth.

However I think in this day and age of footballers being so far detached from supporters it is a crumb of comfort that some of them may have similar backgrounds to some of us. I have always liked Karl Henry as a bloke and i think i have given him more latitude as a player because of his Wolverhampton upbringing.

Personally the Wolves are about the only connection I still have with my birthplace. Having a bunch of mercenaries representing me and the city does not do much to deter the view that Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club is amisnomer. Hence my oft repeated call for continuity and a DoF.

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
On FM 2012, in my team. Henry and SEB played for Jamaica. :)

J

johnybig32

Is home grown English or British?

You also have to understand what homegrown means. It doesnt just mean English.

They need to have been playing here for x amount of years or under a certain age I think?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And you're basing that on what?

If you're basing it on one carling cup game early last season then you're a fool.

He had a run of 5/6 games at the end of last season and didn't put a foot wrong.

But don't let facts...

Nope, everytime I've seen him play he's been a lot worse than Ikeme and Hennessey.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure it's never happened. Players like Karl Henry and Jarvis played almost every single game they were available for in the last 4 seasons, plus Craddock or Stearman also had long spells in the side. Before that Lescott (bar one campaign) or Naylor were mostly ever-presents, with English keepers Murray, Oakes and Stowell between the sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surrey Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
any player who plays in england for 3yrs between the ages of 17-21 counts as a homegrown player, it's why the new EPPP is a load of rubbish & will do nothing for young British players as clubs just buy in foreign talent at youth level.

S

Skonsengwolf

That's the one thing I don't like about Ståle buying all these players from the continent. I hated it when Arsenal and Chelsea fielded teams without british players. Why? Don't really know, but if feels like cheating in a way. I always looked at football clubs as an institution that belonged to the communities, and to not have any local players, or even players from the same nation as the team, detaches the club somewhat.

And yes, I see the irony in a foreign supporter complaining about to many foreigners in the team, but it's just how I feel.

Back
Top Bottom