Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nathan Fraser

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His name is popping up in a few articles at the moment, seems to have been playing in the "first" team games and has been involved in two goals so far.

I wouldn't suggest for a moment we pin our scoring hopes on such a young, although we'll developed, kid. However does anyone think he may get a spot in the squad while still playing u21's?

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His name is popping up in a few articles at the moment, seems to have been playing in the "first" team games and has been involved in two goals so far.

I wouldn't suggest for a moment we pin our scoring hopes on such a young, although we'll developed, kid. However does anyone think he may get a spot in the squad while still playing u21's?
Could be our Evan Ferguson this season.

Knowing us he'll end up out on loan though

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At 18 and a half, I think he'd be better staying put, playing in the U21s and maybe making the occasional substitute appearance or playing a cup game.

Then see how he progresses and whether a loan would be suitable next season.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope he gets a fair chance and the fact he didnt cost 35m or 26m doesn't go against him, as in there is nothing to lose if he doesnt succeed

Yeah, that's the issue with huge fees for kids. They don't get afforded the same luxury of dropping in and out of the side when in form, they are expected to always be on it, regardless of age.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Nathan he has a strong physical presence. Certainly deserves a run in the cup games. I am not sure what's best for his development though a good loan or being in and around the first team.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People forget what a low base we're starting from with strikers, that's why I want Fabio to come in. We literally got a tackle as a goal from Costa and Jimenez.

In the clip for Cunha's goal against Blackpool, Fraser did as much as Costa did.

Point I'm making is he can't do much worse because nobody can.

However, hard to believe he's ahead of Silva or Jimenez. Hwang would play ahead of him and Kaladzic when fit. Nothing to suggest Lopetegui will give youth a chance, in fact the opposite is true on the transfer dealings, so would say zero chance he's involved this season unfortunately.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my friends is the grandfather of another academy lad, who plays at the same level as Nathan, relatively well known name from that group.

But he mentioned Nathan Fraser to me about 3 years ago. He said from that group of scholars he was easily the standout. Head and shoulders above.

Pretty sure I created a thread on the back of it when just after lockdown this friend of mine was attending pretty much all of the Academy games, he would rave about him and seemed to be the consensus that from that group if there was one to really go on and "make it", it would be him.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the issue with huge fees for kids. They don't get afforded the same luxury of dropping in and out of the side when in form, they are expected to always be on it, regardless of age.
Interesting view, I think we are both correct. The kid with the big fee plays but is expected to do well. The kid without the big fee is easier to drop and can just disappear.
You would expect the coach to play the better player, but you never know what other pressures there are (such as developing/protecting the value)

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really rate him, developed well the in the 21s last season and really seemed to find his scoring boots towards the end of the season.

He needs to play, a loan out would be great. Equally, if Lop thinks he's ready and can make a contribution to our season brilliant. However, no point in keeping him here to play 21s again

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was the one

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
This was the one

He’s obviously impressed lopetegui

Clipboard

Reaction score
I don't know but I'm really pleased he's getting an opportunity to impress JL.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like him and Campbell to go to my local team Cambridge United. They would get plenty of opportunity and one Ryan Bennett is there at the back to monitor development. Both would score plenty. Better than Wycombe last season for Campbell. Cambridge play both 3 and 4 at the back at times

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ted Farmer was doing great things for Wolves at the age of 20. He scored twice on his senior debut in a 3–1 win at Manchester United on 24 September 1960 and became a prolific scorer for the Wolves until injury wrecked his career four years later. If they are good enough, then they're good enough!

Ted has a unique achievement - he scored his 21st goal on his 21st appearance on his 21st birthday on 21st January 1961 (against Everton).

Last edited:

Wolf in the sun

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One of my friends is the grandfather of another academy lad, who plays at the same level as Nathan, relatively well known name from that group.

But he mentioned Nathan Fraser to me about 3 years ago. He said from that group of scholars he was easily the standout. Head and shoulders above.

Pretty sure I created a thread on the back of it when just after lockdown this friend of mine was attending pretty much all of the Academy games, he would rave about him and seemed to be the consensus that from that group if there was one to really go on and "make it", it would be him.
thanks for sharing

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting view, I think we are both correct. The kid with the big fee plays but is expected to do well. The kid without the big fee is easier to drop and can just disappear.
You would expect the coach to play the better player, but you never know what other pressures there are (such as developing/protecting the value)

It doesn't really matter what the age is. In general, managers are much less likely to drop the player with the big fee when he's out of form. We've seen this a lot recently. If an academy player had come in and performed 100% identical to Nunes (or Cunha, for that matter) , he'd have been out of the side most of last season and probably being touted for a loan to the Championship right now.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Seems to be striking up a good rapport with Cunha. The "you deserved that" from Cunha in the recent friendly suggests he must have made a pretty good impression in that game. He certainly looks capable physically for the demands of the Premier league. One to watch I think. Will be interesting to see if he gets minutes against Porto.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its asking a lot of an 18 year old to throw him in at the deep end. The fact is the club should be signing a proper striker this summer unless Fabio is going to be given a run in the team alongside Sasa. Even then we need another option as a striker especially with Sasa's clear physical vulnerability. The fact that Fraser is being hyped up so early in his career is a sign of the desperation that is around right now. He clearly needs to go out on loan and get games under his belt-ideally in the Championship. We need three main line strikers in the squad and that does not include Hwang who has never shown himself any good as an out and out striker. Jiminez sadly is surely going to leave and has long lost his mojo for us.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was excellent in the u21s at the end of last season. I very much hope he is given some game time against Porto.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Its asking a lot of an 18 year old to throw him in at the deep end. The fact is the club should be signing a proper striker this summer unless Fabio is going to be given a run in the team alongside Sasa. Even then we need another option as a striker especially with Sasa's clear physical vulnerability. The fact that Fraser is being hyped up so early in his career is a sign of the desperation that is around right now. He clearly needs to go out on loan and get games under his belt-ideally in the Championship. We need three main line strikers in the squad and that does not include Hwang who has never shown himself any good as an out and out striker. Jiminez sadly is surely going to leave and has long lost his mojo for us.
He's not really being hyped up. People are saying he's good in his age group and looks to be on the fringes of the squad and may get some game time

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would like him and Campbell to go to my local team Cambridge United. They would get plenty of opportunity and one Ryan Bennett is there at the back to monitor development. Both would score plenty. Better than Wycombe last season for Campbell. Cambridge play both 3 and 4 at the back at times
The only development Benno would be monitoring would be that of the lads' girlfriends... allegedly.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ted Farmer was doing great things for Wolves at the age of 20. He scored twice on his senior debut in a 3–1 win at Manchester United on 24 September 1960 and became a prolific scorer for the Wolves until injury wrecked his career four years later. If they are good enough, then they're good enough!

Ted has a unique achievement - he scored his 21st goal on his 21st appearance on his 21st birthday on 21st January 1961 (against Everton).
Football in 1960 was a whole different world.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In what way relevant to this?
The number of 20 year old who will get starts in the PL, let alone have spectacular breakout seasons, can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Particularly playing for a top six team which Wolves were in 1960.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it’s tougher for a youngster to make an impact today in the PL than it was to come through in the 60’s, I’d imagine.
Perhaps because there aren't so many super talented youngsters these days?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's a bit silly to pin things like "the next Evan Ferguson" on him. Temper expectations. Ferguson was courted by Liverpool but chose Brighton because he thought there was an easier pathway to first team football, he was right. Not even Brighton imagined how quickly he'd be in the first team fold.

Fraser is a local lad from the academy playing because we have no other options at this early stage of preseason. Sasa is being easied into things, Raul is injured, Costa is gone, and Silva is only just about to return to preseason.

I think it's very positive for the lad though, I can imagine there will be a few clubs in League One asking about him, and if we can find a club that will guarantee him regular football, it would be far more beneficial than another season in the U23's.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The days of the likes of Fowler, Owen, Rooney, even players like Alan Smith, James Vaughan etc. breaking through seem to be so long ago.

I wonder if it's down to players not really getting opportunities or the gulf simply being too big without 'roughing it' for a few years in the Championship first....if you look at Ellis Simms at Everton, Fabio here, Baolgun, Nketiah, Nmecha, Delap, Dane Scarlett, Reo Griffiths.....none of the prolific youth players are translating that form into the Premier League. Ferguson has done well - I suspect he's the exception to the rule, rather than the beneficiary of opportunity through circumstance though

Back
Top Bottom