Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MoTD tonight

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
They like everyone else in Football except for IFAB and PGMOL, are saying these idiots are ruining the game for the sake of VAR.

There’s only one solution to get rid of it, but Lineker himself came up with an off the cuff suggestion of appeals but Wrighty pointed those idiots would still be making the decision.

Short of picketing VAR HQ I’m not sure what could be done.
I saw that and found it quite interesting, I think what he meant in this case was if WH thought there was an infringement they could appeal the goal before VAR makes an mess of it. Good concept, one per half. The WH players obviously thought it was a valid goal from their reactions.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The PLGMOL should come out NOW and credit us for that goal, certainly as it was so late in the game and WH would have had little or no time to reply. It's a circus TBH.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be hugely surprised if there were to be an apology come from Howard Webb on this one. Only reason being that the letter of the law suggests Chirewa was offside - obviously it’s subject to interpretation as to whether Fabianski could see the ball.

IMO, and the opinion of thousands of others (including pundits and former pro footballers), Fabianski did see enough of it and was not impeded by Chirewa’s position. However, Webb will defend his mates and say their subjective view was that the keeper’s view was blocked, which is massively dubious given the lack of conclusive evidence either way.
No one is saying Chirewa wasnt standing in an offside position he clearly was
The issue is interference with play
The ball was never near him,so thats not an issue,he never touched the keeper so no interference there,he didnt block the keeper from moving so no interference there either
The only possible interference was line of sight,Fabianski is 6ft 3 tall, the ball was high cross from our left in plain view to everyone,he could move at any time or like most keepers just shove him out of the way where is any interference?
GON was right in his comments when saying" if you dont understand football you could come to that conclusion" lol

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ball was never near him,so thats not an issue,he never touched the keeper so no interference there,he didnt block the keeper from moving so no interference there either
The only possible interference was line of sight,Fabianski is 6ft 3 tall, the ball was high cross from our left in plain view to everyone,he could move at any time or like most keepers just shove him out of the way where is any interference?
GON was right in his comments when saying" if you dont understand football you could come to that conclusion" lol
I agree with you and the thousands of others, but was just suggesting a reason why we shouldn’t expect another apology from Howard Webb who will try to protect his mates at all costs.

Edit: I too think the whole thing stinks btw and we should have had a deserved draw. However, we also need to stop giving officials a way to penalise us, and sort out the Jekyl and Hyde halves we have seen so often this season.

Bullyboy

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm done with it now. The sheer joy and excitement of scoring has been sucked out of the game by the corrupt premier league. Not long till the league implodes now.
I love watching the old games on YouTube. Think that's how I'll spend matchdays in the future.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
It's just a failure of the refs to understand the rules because they have no real feel for the game. If the ball had been cleared to the edge of the area and someone had hit a 20 yard shot to the same place, then it would have been offside. Once you understand the laws of the game and that there's no way Fabianski saves it, then there's no way it's offside.

The only thing I would say for those who bemoan the 'good old days' is that 30 years ago there's every chance the lino just flags because Chirewa is offside. It's the 'new' laws about interfering which mean that the goal should certainly have stood.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's just a failure of the refs to understand the rules because they have no real feel for the game. If the ball had been cleared to the edge of the area and someone had hit a 20 yard shot to the same place, then it would have been offside. Once you understand the laws of the game and that there's no way Fabianski saves it, then there's no way it's offside.

The only thing I would say for those who bemoan the 'good old days' is that 30 years ago there's every chance the lino just flags because Chirewa is offside. It's the 'new' laws about interfering which mean that the goal should certainly have stood.
The old rules had the virtue of relative simplicity and clarity.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Trouble is doesn’t mean we would get the “right decision “ of course.

Still be down to the VAR and ref to make a decision subjectivity

But might mean less time taken out of the game and so much nit picking on decisions..

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

But might mean less time taken out of the game and so much nit picking on decisions..
Lineker's idea is just *******s. You need all the same ridiculous technology and extra officials and what happens differently? First half West Ham challenge the pen, presumably VAR still decides it was correct - result they've lost their appeal, so they feel doubly aggrieved. Second half assuming they don't waste their appeal anywhere, we score a late equaliser, even if they don't think there's anything wrong, they're bound to appeal anyway. Presumably the idiot officials come to the same conclusion. So we've gained nothing, same old rubbish, especially for fans in the ground.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lineker's idea is just *******s. You need all the same ridiculous technology and extra officials and what happens differently? First half West Ham challenge the pen, presumably VAR still decides it was correct - result they've lost their appeal, so they feel doubly aggrieved. Second half assuming they don't waste their appeal anywhere, we score a late equaliser, even if they don't think there's anything wrong, they're bound to appeal anyway. Presumably the idiot officials come to the same conclusion. So we've gained nothing, same old rubbish, especially for fans in the ground.
Maybe. But we need to look at more than its possible impact on just one game.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
They did, but if João stands in the corner, admiring his excellent delivery, he gets given offside. Do we want that?
Personally, yes. I’d love it if they brought back the old rules. At least back then we didn’t have subjective reasons given for disallowing goals. That’s where the problem lies for me, it should be black or white, but the gray area of subjectivity allows refs to flop one way or another, and base their decisions on whatever dubious criteria pleases them.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Personally, yes. I’d love it if they brought back the old rules. At least back then we didn’t have subjective reasons given for disallowing goals. That’s where the problem lies for me, it should be black or white, but the gray area of subjectivity allows refs to flop one way or another, and base their decisions on whatever dubious criteria pleases them.
And leads to inconsistency.

Like with handball .

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people still don’t seem to get it. Birmingham at home, mid 90s, Kevin Francis takes an air shot and inexplicably gets awarded a penalty. An horrendous decision but one that was, albeit wrongly, awarded in the moment and it was what it was.

Also Birmingham at home mid 90s, Stephen George Bull latches on to a hopeful long ball, last seconds of the game, and fires one into the bottom corner to win the match and send the whole of Molineux into limbs and chaos that I still don’t think has been beaten since.

The Lino kept his flag down, you knew the goal stood, you knew you could go mental.

Give me that world a million times over. Both the good and the bad.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Maybe. But we need to look at more than its possible impact on just one game.
I agree with that. Most goals and almost every late goal will be challenged in the hope of finding something, and a lot of decisions are subjective, so when you get whatever the football equivalent of umpire's call is against you then you'll feel doubly aggrieved. If they actually have a thing where you don't get the decision, but you keep your appeal (like actual umpire's call) then people will be even more aggrieved. We all know the simple solution is just to bin the whole thing, but there are too many vested interests which are nothing to do with actual fans in ground and decisions being made by business people, not actual fans.

Basically people who are sucking the life out of the game by chasing unachievable perfection and not understanding the visceral joy of a goal.

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What really works well is goal line technology, it should be kept. The "did the ball cross the line" thing caused so much controversy. But I could live without VAR, and just accept the howlers.
The beauty of lower league football...No VAR

GuzzWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm done with it now. The sheer joy and excitement of scoring has been sucked out of the game by the corrupt premier league. Not long till the league implodes now.
I love watching the old games on YouTube. Think that's how I'll spend matchdays in the future.
The old games are class.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As a neutral what did you think on first impression of that decision? My Stoke mate thinks it’s the right decision, but that it’s because he is sticking to the letter of the law

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As a neutral what did you think on first impression of that decision? My Stoke mate thinks it’s the right decision, but that it’s because he is sticking to the letter of the law
I think it’s harsh as who knows if the keeper will get to the ball so can goals really be ruled out on what might happen ?

Unless the player is literally on the keepers toes .

And you say everyone is offside in that situation but probably won’t be the same decision each time .

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks the decision is right by the letter of the law doesn't understand the law. Even if he blocks the keeper's view (which he doesn't) it's still not offside unless that stops the keeper saving it (which it doesn't).

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s harsh as who knows if the keeper will get to the ball so can goals really be ruled out on what might happen ?

Unless the player is literally on the keepers toes .

And you say everyone is offside in that situation but probably won’t be the same decision each time .
But even that qualification gets us into problems. The keeper is impeded continually at corners and free kicks with one or two players standing directly in front of him, "on his toes". Fouls are rarely given, and only then for excessive force by the attacking player. See West Ham's goal from the corner kick for example. Should that goal have been ruled out??

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
But even that qualification gets us into problems. The keeper is impeded continually at corners and free kicks with one or two players standing directly in front of him, "on his toes". Fouls are rarely given, and only then for excessive force by the attacking player. See West Ham's goal from the corner kick for example. Should that goal have been ruled out??
That misses the point though. The players blocking Sa are allowed to interfere with play as they aren't in an offside position.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought the keeper watched the ball the whole time and decided no chance. Chirewa wasn’t blocking his vision or his path, it was just two bystanders sharing a moment. But I’m not going to re-watch it.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That misses the point though. The players blocking Sa are allowed to interfere with play as they aren't in an offside position.
Thats true, but by the laws of the game Chirewa was ONside (from a corner) until the moment that Kilman makes contact with the ball, whereupon he has, what, 0,3 of a second to get back onside from an offside position ?

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Fair point.

Maybe that is where the inconsistency comes in and why yesterday seems very harsh .

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that there is so much disagreement on this decision shows that VAR can't work. It's a good example and there are plenty others where all the camera angles and lines in the world don't help with a subjective decision. Some think he is interfering with play and some don't - and that's the referees themselves, so there's no hope for the rest of us.

MOTD are not renowned for their radical opinions on the game, so you know something is awry when they are now repeatedly pointing out how flawed it is. It all comes down to ultimately most decisions in football are subjective. Goal line tech is fine because there are only two states - it is, or it isn't.

But most everything else is on a spectrum of subjectivity and we will put the decision at different points on that spectrum. VAR isn't going to change that, which is where the inconsistency comes from as referees also judge things differently.

Perhaps they could remove it from the PremierLeague for a season as an experiment?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Exactly. And often, the experts will say that keepers are protected, but some contact is allowed. And if the keeper makes an error, they'll say "he has to be stronger there".

DJLWolf

Reaction score

Agree.

We can't give these cretins MORE to do!They can't cope with what they've already got on their plates.

Just bin VAR because it absolutely stinks the game out.

It's that simple for me.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And if he did shove Chirewa, would we have got a penalty? Course not. It would be: "He's gone down too easily, it's a contact sport".

It's trying to turn football into a sport where most/all decisions can be mathematically correct (eg cricket/tennis/rowing) that is the problem with the whole thinking behind VAR. Because most decisions in football can never be mathematically correct.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a fair point, in terms of the highly subjective category of impeding line of vision. But when extensive licence is
given to actually impeding the physical movement of the keeper, it seems an entirely other set of principles is applied.

There is no consistency if a referee can go from a huge under-protection of the goalkeeper to a huge over-protection of
the goalkeeper in the space of minutes as happened yesterday.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Chirewa is only just 6ft tall...
So that’s why Salah or any of the multiple times this goes unchecked for other teams can get away with it because he’s a smaller chap?
I’m really not into the victim why us mentality, but this is another law that has been brought to the fore against Wolves.. not forgetting the ‘soft headbutt’ or the maximum 3 players surrounding the ref farces.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this match had been played at Anfield or Old Trafford and the home side had scored like Max, would the same decision have been made?

We all know the answer to that.
Salah is only 5ft so a 6ft plus keeper can see over him, so the objective offside is not relevant, surely.? It’s a joke, keepers might as well go crouch and hide behind offside players making them blocked and unsighted, game over.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some people still don’t seem to get it. Birmingham at home, mid 90s, Kevin Francis takes an air shot and inexplicably gets awarded a penalty. An horrendous decision but one that was, albeit wrongly, awarded in the moment and it was what it was.

Also Birmingham at home mid 90s, Stephen George Bull latches on to a hopeful long ball, last seconds of the game, and fires one into the bottom corner to win the match and send the whole of Molineux into limbs and chaos that I still don’t think has been beaten since.

The Lino kept his flag down, you knew the goal stood, you knew you could go mental.

Give me that world a million times over. Both the good and the bad.
This. Absolutely this.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Salah is only 5ft so a 6ft plus keeper can see over him, so the objective offside is not relevant, surely.? It’s a joke, keepers might as well go crouch and hide behind offside players making them blocked and unsighted, game over.
The line of sight was put in for shots from edge of the area where players could block the sight of the keeper, and thats fair enough
Yesterday it was a cross, so unless the player is 8ft tall or lying on the keepers face its impossible to block his line of sight

Back
Top Bottom