Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Most excited you’ve got about a Wolves signing!....

Woolywolf

Reaction score
There is clearly a lot of pent up pre-transfer tension on MM and with any Wolves fan you speak to. Got me thinking about the most excited I’ve ever got when a Wolves signing was announced.
The two for me where Geoff Thomas and Kevin Doyle.
I remember being gob smacked that we’d managed to attract Thomas, a top player at his his peak and it genuinely seemed to signify that things had changed for our club.
I think it was about 10ish on a week night when the magical Sky yellow banner announced Kevin Doyle has agreed to sign for Wolves and I went mental round the house....felt like a truly big signing and that we had arrived in the premiership.
Which signing got you bouncing round the house?

BrierleyHillWolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
When they announced Rui Patricio on talk sport Adrian Durham was genuinely gob smacked and really bigged up wolves, something along the lines of Wolves are seriously going places

wolfjoy_uk

Groupie
Reaction score
I agree with Geoff Thomas - genuinely thought that after settling in the First Dvision that was going to be the push towards the Premier League

But I think it was Ruben Neves for me - started to think that Fosun would do whatever it took to make us a power again and that felt like all my Birthdays and Christmas's rolled into one

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always thought Geoff Thomas, was a massive signing for us, at the time and where we were, as you say- he was at the very top of his game.
It was at the time one of a few massive signings, Daley, Froggat etc were also big statements in the championship.

But Then to see the likes of Mouthino and Patricio in old gold, is ****ing crazy.

D

Deleted member 5242

I remember there being a real buzz about Tony Daley.

Surprised nobody mentioned Neves yet. I just remember thinking 'here we gew!'

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves.

Didn't they announce the kit on the same day? Remember him being unveiled in the black one?

K

Knocker Lite

I thought Mike O'Grady would be a top player for Wolves, he looked good whenever his was given opportunities in a great Leeds team but it never really happened for him at Wolves.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Andy Gray but the subsequent injury made it a huge anti-climax at the time.

James Brewer

Reaction score
Probably Patricio for me. Neves was huge for the championship but I never expected i’d see a goalkeeper of Rui’s level at the Wolves. Moutinho arriving after was just as big, but less surprising after Rui’s arrival... it’s a bloody good time to be a Wolves fan.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geoff Thomas was the first. It made the back pages in the national papers and really felt like the start of something special. Along with Dave Kelly and Kevin Keen I really thought we were going places. If he hadn't of got injured we might have made it as well.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
You can't beat a double signing. Chris Marsden & Darren Ferguson anyone?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geoff Thomas was the first. It made the back pages in the national papers and really felt like the start of something special. Along with Dave Kelly and Kevin Keen I really thought we were going places. If he hadn't of got injured we might have made it as well.
That side would have been home and hosed by Easter if it hadn't been so decimated by injuries.

I don't recall being that impressed when we signed Thomas but his image was so tarnished by that "chipped" miss for England at the time. But boy what a player he was for us in the short time before that **** Howey did him in

Liskeard wolf

Reaction score
Andy Gray but the subsequent injury made it a huge anti-climax at the time.
Andy Gray for me too. I think it was the fact that wolves were going to spend 1.4m on a player. A record back in the day.
Worth every penny for the tap in v forest at Wembley alone :)

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The time we bought a Footy Manager Wonderkid whilst in the Champ.

But I think it was Ruben Neves for me - started to think that Fosun would do whatever it took to make us a power again and that felt like all my Birthdays and Christmas's rolled into one

One direct mention, one obscure mention (possibly)

Surprised nobody mentioned Neves yet. I just remember thinking 'here we gew!'

Just in case you didn't realise your eyesight was failing you ... always better to be told than to keep going blind :D

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another vote for Geoff Thomas here, thought we were gonna storm the league, didn't quite work out did it!

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said Geoff Thomas. That summer where we saw him, David Kelly and Kevin Keen arrive was really exciting. Then we added John De Wolf and Don Goodman later. I really thought we were on our way.............. We weren't.

D

Deleted member 4453

Anyone on here who remembers the Neves thread that summer, that's my pick hands down.

I wasn't even posting on here at the time, that thread had it all but the signing was a statement of which I'd never seen.

Think it'll be difficult to top that now tbf.

D

Deleted member 5242

Anyone on here who remembers the Neves thread that summer, that's my pick hands down.

I wasn't even posting on here at the time, that thread had it all but the signing was a statement of which I'd never seen.

Think it'll be difficult to top that now tbf.

For those with a bit of time on their hands on this mundane Monday morning:

Ruben Neves...

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Going back to the Seventies it was all tied up that we would be signing Jimmy Roberson who was an excellent winger .The E&S reported the night before that the deal had been sealed and he would finalise the deal the next day .
I waited for our paper to be delivered the next night only to read that there was a last minute hitch and the deal was off.One that didn’t happen but I was so disappointed because he would have been an excellent signing.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said Geoff Thomas. That summer where we saw him, David Kelly and Kevin Keen arrive was really exciting. Then we added John De Wolf and Don Goodman later. I really thought we were on our way.............. We weren't.
This for me too. I was about 20 at the time and genuinely thought we had hit the jackpot and the club were putting their money where their mouth was. I could not believe WE were about to sign Geoff Thomas. Sadly, yet another false dawn of the 1990s.

Naturally, today's 6pm 'signing' beats all this.

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Andy Gray for me too ... and it's great Villa are finally back in our shadow again ... looking forward to nicking their best players again in the future ;)

Back
Top Bottom