Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Most Disappointing Wolves signing?

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a slightly different selection than Worst Wolves Signing, which may include players signed for a nominal fee and not suprisingly were not very good. Disappointing might well include players who were good elsewhere but hopeless here, or were always injured.

For example

Dick Le Flem (ask your dad)
Mike O'Grady (ditto)
Joe Gallagher
Neil Masters (aka Sicknote)
Robert Taylor (Mr Blobby)

Others nominations?

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me always remember Paul Blades was a world beater on loan and then we signed him he was ****ing ****. Thought we had an absolute bargain in him.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, Tony Daley. He should have torn the division apart but instead tore his hamstring, knee ligaments...
Misunderstood the instructions from Graham Taylor "go on Tony, tear 'em a new one".

Remember his debut after several weeks injured, when he came on as a substitute. Ran about a bit and then pulled up with a bad muscle strain. The sound of 20,000 groans in unison will always remain with me...

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
Paul Birch. I'd seen him mark Lothar Matthäus out of a game. The reality of watching him week on week was quite different.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We brought in this guy named Derek Dougan who did nothing for us in his short stay. :D

Okay those that did well at other clubs Steve Claridge has to be sitting high on that throne. I would also say Jason Shackell who did well at other clubs. Tommy Rowe was one who disappointed me as I had seen him on TV a few times and looked good and influentiial for his previous team. Paul Jones (the keeper not midfielder) in his second stint

D

Deleted member 5910

Johnson and O'Hara are the standout ones. But I remember my disappointment in the likes of Fernando Gomez, Sami al Jaber, Ketsbaia and Frankowski too.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because of his injury but surely not his performance before that. We had several serious injuries at that time which if had not happened we could have had a pretty reasonable team at that time.
We ended up playing Turner's reserves and still getting decent results...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We brought in this guy named Derek Dougan who did nothing for us in his short stay. :D

Okay those that did well at other clubs Steve Claridge has to be sitting high on that throne. I would also say Jason Shackell who did well at other clubs. Tommy Rowe was one who disappointed me as I had seen him on TV a few times and looked good and influentiial for his previous team. Paul Jones (the keeper not midfielder) in his second stint
Add Dougie Freeman to that list

BarryM

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Even though it's the most recent Patrick Cutrone for me by a mile!

Signing a young well known Italian striker from AC Milan for £16m thinking this is where we are now ... Attracting some of Europe's finest young players ... And it just didn't work out :(

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even though it's the most recent Patrick Cutrone for me by a mile!

Signing a young well known Italian striker from AC Milan for £16m thinking this is where we are now ... Attracting some of Europe's finest young players ... And it just didn't work out :(

Cutrone for sure.
None of the others mentioned were not instantly embraced by the fans or given cult status with his own terrace song without having earned it, you could feel the vast majority of the fans wanting the lad to do well.
No patience, no understanding, no cojones for Wolves/Fosun/Nuno project. He is dead to me.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
There have been plenty but I was always disappointed in Paul Bradshaw.He was highly rated and we paid good money for him but I never thought he pushed on as much as he should have

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geoff Thomas, Tony Daley and George Ndah.
The first two were absolute trophy signings, but I think that Ndah would have proven the best of the lot. He had pace to burn when we signed him and at times was unplayable even after he returned from his first injury. The second one ended his career.

Last edited:

SheldonWolf

Reaction score
Temuri Ketsbaia - what happened to him after that free kick against Sheff Wednesday?

Oleg Luzhny - generally rubbish.

Frimpong - could have been brilliant, but just kept the treatment table in business.

Leigh Griffiths - the fact this guy is still scoring on Scotland is a disgrace to the standard in the SPL.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Dave Thomas that electrifying winger at QPR and Everton that was going to be our new Waggy.

Joe Gallagher - **** off back to Brum.

Robert Taylor - didn’t expect anything from him and he didn’t let me down. The club did by signing him in the first place. Cheapo Moxey signing.

Roger Johnson - treated us with so much contempt. **** off back to Brum.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Temuri Ketsbaia - what happened to him after that free kick against Sheff Wednesday?

Oleg Luzhny - generally rubbish.

Frimpong - could have been brilliant, but just kept the treatment table in business.

Leigh Griffiths - the fact this guy is still scoring on Scotland is a disgrace to the standard in the SPL.
I dunno about Griffiths, he was a bit of a knobhead but his goal record when he did play for us was decent.

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
surprised quite a few mentioned on here who actually played quite a lot for us (ie weren't that bad)

Sami Al Jabir springs to mind, Steve Claridge an obvious one

pacamac

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People have short memories re Johnson too, yes he had that training ground **** up but he then won the fans back around during the championship season at one point. All was forgotten till we were relegated (something the whole team should shoulder not just him) then everyone started brining up the being ****ed thing again.

I've got respect for Johnson remember that day at Brighton despite knowing he was one of the main pantomime villians he has the balls to come over to the away end at the end...unlike many others.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Claridge. Always did well against us and scored plenty for all the other teams he played for,but was a useless bag of nails for us.

Back
Top Bottom