Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux redevelopment

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My points not a British only type thing pal.

The point is Chinese steel is massively unreliable there's been various issues and proven that most Chinese companies are lets just say a bit dodgy in their certification of raw material. Basically you're probably not getting what they're telling you you're getting!

I work for a company that will not touch Chinese steel at all, we manufacture safety critical parts. The majority of our big customers will specify 'non Chinese' material.
Its common knowledge that the traceability and paperwork is very sketchy, over 90% of the UK structural steel industry won’t touch Chinese steel either. The only way it could happen is if it is fabricated over there and shipped over to UK (on the few occasions that has happened, local companies have made a ****load fixing onsite mods and jobs) which would suggest isn’t going to happen as the GC has sent the job out for UK tender.

S

ShropshireLad

They are not going to buy materials that are going to cause the whole thing to collapse are they?

+1.

Madness to think we would consider anything that isn't up to it.

My points not a British only type thing pal.

The point is Chinese steel is massively unreliable there's been various issues and proven that most Chinese companies are lets just say a bit dodgy in their certification of raw material. Basically you're probably not getting what they're telling you you're getting!

I work for a company that will not touch Chinese steel at all, we manufacture safety critical parts. The majority of our big customers will specify 'non Chinese' material.

Its common knowledge that the traceability and paperwork is very sketchy, over 90% of the UK structural steel industry won’t touch Chinese steel either. The only way it could happen is if it is fabricated over there and shipped over to UK (on the few occasions that has happened, local companies have made a ****load fixing onsite mods and jobs) which would suggest isn’t going to happen as the GC has sent the job out for UK tender.

We're owned by a Chinese company who will have vested interests in the contracts they secure. Of course, I know nothing about their intentions or their faith in Chinese steel but @tafkawu and @Shergar express the reservations which I had in mind.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might I raise a certain attendance issue for those wanting to see a 70.000 new Molineux?

Last night saw a European game at Molineux where for the first time this season the gate was about 4,000 below capacity. This is common and historically has always been the case. Last night saw a 'nothing' game because we had already got through and little in the way of away support so the interest dipped a bit and we have been playing two games a week a lot. If and when we regularly play such games then this will always be a trend.

Not a dig at our fans just a reminder that having a huge stadium beyond about 45.000ish isn't really necessary or desirable.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Lets be brash! And go for 50,000! I think that is ample.
A 70,000 Molineux is pure fantasy but very nice to dream about.
Could possibly fill it v Real Madrid or Barca in a Champions League Semi-Final but that would be it.
And that would be getting support from football fans from across the West Midlands wanting to see such a match.
I would like to see Liverpool sell-out 70,000 seats every home game, despite what is said about their massive world support.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I see Everton have moved a good step closer with their proposed 52,000 seater stadium.
Apart from the extra massive cost of building a bigger stadium, they seem comfortable with 52k.
Many Evertonians wanted bigger, some wanted 62k, and stadium plans may include expansion up to 62k in it, if ever needed.
But the key thing here, is that Everton feel 52k is the right capacity for them, what they could fill on a regular basis.
Place North West | Everton sets stadium submission date

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Lets be brash! And go for 50,000! I think that is ample.
A 70,000 Molineux is pure fantasy but very nice to dream about.
Could possibly fill it v Real Madrid or Barca in a Champions League Semi-Final but that would be it.
And that would be getting support from football fans from across the West Midlands wanting to see such a match.
I would like to see Liverpool sell-out 70,000 seats every home game, despite what is said about their massive world support.

I'm with this.

50K is a lovely round figure; nicely suited to BIG clubs. As we are currently the aim is to be the biggest and the best, not only around here, but nationally and globally.

Get it up and think about ways of filling it later. When we are really flying we'll need all those seats for the new fans flying in from Asia, Mexico...

We'll also want an Arena that can facilitate and be attractive for other major events.

Let's 'av it!

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see Everton have moved a good step closer with their proposed 52,000 seater stadium.
Apart from the extra massive cost of building a bigger stadium, they seem comfortable with 52k.
Many Evertonians wanted bigger, some wanted 62k, and stadium plans may include expansion up to 62k in it, if ever needed.
But the key thing here, is that Everton feel 52k is the right capacity for them, what they could fill on a regular basis.
Place North West | Everton sets stadium submission date
If they don't get the right manager in, they'll be attracting 30k in the chump.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I'm with this.

50K is a lovely round figure; nicely suited to BIG clubs. As we are currently the aim is to be the biggest and the best, not only around here, but nationally and globally.

Get it up and think about ways of filling it later. When we are really flying we'll need all those seats for the new fans flying in from Asia, Mexico...

We'll also want an Arena that can facilitate and be attractive for other major events.

Let's 'av it!
Fosun have mentioned a 50k sized Molineux, that is probably 5 to 10 years down the line, and includes a new Billy Wright Stand too.

But the most pressing issue at the moment is the building of a new Steve Bull Stand to raise capacity to 36,000.

Apart from needing a new Bully Stand to replace the 40 year old one, for all the reasons we know, and having it built closer to the pitch..

Is Fan pressure. 31,700 is plainly too small for sell-out Premier League games, with thousands of fans new and old being denied access.

A new Steve Bull Stand, and an expanded 10k South Bank with SE Quad would take capacity up to 43k, then we can take it from there.

Hopefully, talks between Wolves and the city council are progressing well, and a planning application will be submitted for a new stand soon.

I always feel that if you want to play regular football in the Champions League you need a 50k stadium, obviously, Juventus are the exception.

I know some will quote Man City not filling their 55k stadium for Champions League games but they are getting there, now averaging 50.125.
And that is for the Champions League Group stage which has been marketed better this season. City are averaging over 54k for PL games.

But let us get up to 36k first, to help ease the pressure, and cope with current demand, keeping the club ticking over for greater things.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fosun have mentioned a 50k sized Molineux, that is probably 5 to 10 years down the line, and includes a new Billy Wright Stand too.

But the most pressing issue at the moment is the building of a new Steve Bull Stand to raise capacity to 36,000.

Apart from needing a new Bully Stand to replace the 40 year old one, for all the reasons we know, and having it built closer to the pitch..

Is Fan pressure. 31,700 is plainly too small for sell-out Premier League games, with thousands of fans new and old being denied access.

A new Steve Bull Stand, and an expanded 10k South Bank with SE Quad would take capacity up to 43k, then we can take it from there.

Hopefully, talks between Wolves and the city council are progressing well, and a planning application will be submitted for a new stand soon.

I always feel that if you want to play regular football in the Champions League you need a 50k stadium, obviously, Juventus are the exception.

I know some will quote Man City not filling their 55k stadium for Champions League games but they are getting there, now averaging 50.125.
And that is for the Champions League Group stage which has been marketed better this season. City are averaging over 54k for PL games.

But let us get up to 36k first, to help ease the pressure, and cope with current demand, keeping the club ticking over for greater things.
Agreed. And will improve the atmosphere. Steve Bull is quite vocal and being joined to south bank will make a massive difference. Always fans tucked away in corner too. Let’s gone on with it.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I received this FB message two weeks ago from an Austrian guy.
Probably the tip of an iceberg of fans wanting tickets around the world.

i have a question
My friends and I wanted to watch a football game from the wolves.
Is it hard to get tickets for the games for normal prices?
Greets from austria

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They need to consult with the Jehovah’s Witnesses, they could easily pull in 70k for their annual convention. Sign them up on a 30 year deal, get them to pay for the increase above 52k. Sorted.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe 40k at the moment, as an average gate but that would probably leave 10k fans disappointed for the big games. If we are to invest many millions on redeveloping the ground we have to ensure it is future-proof, and we are on a rapid upward trajectory with Fosun.
And twenty thousand stuck at New Street because there’s no train crew.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we could easily fill a 40K seater next season when you consider the ST waiting list and all of the old fans that have dropped out of the system because life got in the way; I am sure we all know people who can’t commit to season tickets who would love to come to a handful of games.

D

Deleted at own request member 8370

Anywhere around 40k would be fine atm. Only time we’d need anything above 50k is when the big boys come to town and you’d probably see a lot of opposition fans in the home end and I definitely don’t wanna turn into that sort of club.

beppe7619

Reaction score

The council can’t even organise there traffic lights to stay on green longer than 10 seconds on a Sunday match day god help us them organising the molineux redevelopment

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
The council can’t even organise there traffic lights to stay on green longer than 10 seconds on a Sunday match day god help us them organising the molineux redevelopment
Lets hope Wolvo City Council give Wolves the green light for the next stage of redevelopment sometime soon.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Sort out the Steve Bull and the South Bank take us to as close as we can towards 38k-40k. We’ll be a big step for us.
Once we’ve consolidated at that level then a spectacular Billy Wright rebuild should be done. Think a third tier on Billy Wight will also give us flexibility for closing a tier without giving the impression of a half empty stadium.

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think at this rate we can safely say nothing will be starting until summer 2021.

Berlin Wolf

Reaction score
I think at this rate we can safely say nothing will be starting until summer 2021.
As we head into 2020, it is becoming increasing likely.
Would be good to get an update, as nothing has been announced since last summer.
We know Wolves are in talks with the City Council but that is all that has been said in recent months.
Fulham have cracked on with a new main stand despite relegation. Everton have submitted a full application for a new 52k stadium too.
Building new stands and stadiums is a very complicated exercise but clubs are moving them along, Forest too with a new 10k main stand.
Guess we'll have to be patient, as know one knows what is going on behind the scenes at Molineux, time will tell as they say.
In the meantime, below is the latest link to Everton's plans which do look impressive.
Following the project, the one thing I haven't seen in black and white, is exactly how they are raising the 500 million.
No mention of it in the article either but it must be coming from somewhere, so I will try and find out.
Place North West | VIDEO | Everton FC unveils final £500m stadium designs

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
As we head into 2020, it is becoming increasing likely.
Would be good to get an update, as nothing has been announced since last summer.
We know Wolves are in talks with the City Council but that is all that has been said in recent months.
Fulham have cracked on with a new main stand despite relegation. Everton have submitted a full application for a new 52k stadium too.
Building new stands and stadiums is a very complicated exercise but clubs are moving them along, Forest too with a new 10k main stand.
Guess we'll have to be patient, as know one knows what is going on behind the scenes at Molineux, time will tell as they say.
In the meantime, below is the latest link to Everton's plans which do look impressive.
Following the project, the one thing I haven't seen in black and white, is exactly how they are raising the 500 million.
No mention of it in the article either but it must be coming from somewhere, so I will try and find out.
Place North West | VIDEO | Everton FC unveils final £500m stadium designs
I know about Everton’s funding for the new stadium. Complex and impressive, but not going to elaborate on here, because I’m (in a small way) involved in it. Might take a few years, but they’re going to be a massive club competing with the best. Wolves need to keep up with the likes of Everton to be successful over the coming years- having Nuno at the moment and success on the field is great, but when he goes- the real test will start.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately for a lot of us who have difficulty in getting Tickets to watch Wolves i dont think the redevelopment will be taking place anytime soon, Fosun are concentrating spending money on the playing side of things which i have to say i agree with, Gate receipts now play only a small part in overall income, so spending on Stadium development would take many years to recoup and would hinder spending on the playing side, so for now and up until 2022/23 at the earliest i and many others will have to put up with getting tickets as and when we can, unless Fosun can bring a big big investor on board to join them..

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is an obvious discrepancy between the heirachys vision and the perception of Wolves fans. The owners want a top European stadium but the fans think it's unsustainable. Only time will tell but I think the owners will stick with the original vision but they need the land and infrastructure around to forfill it, this is why in reality it may take several more years before a plan is viable.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The standard has been set by spurs and and followed up by the proposed Everton stadium, both of which are superb state of the art stadia which large attendance potential, we want to compete at by top but clubs not even there are preparing for much bigger futures than us! If Fosun want it match clubs chasing the same objective then the makeshift plans revealed months ago were outdated 5 years ago let alone now and sadly imo to get a similar its a new location and footprint, its not coincidence that spurs, arsenal, man city, Everton and even Chelsea (they have discussed it in the past) have moved into new grounds to match ambition. I honestly feel all the silence is because its about building up hurdles to state why we aren't rebuilding molineux and how it's far easier construction wise to start afresh elsewhere and create a world class environment Inc surroundings etc. I'd love to stay at molineux by the way but I can't see it.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It surely is a dilemma,do ya spend money on the TEAM or do ya spend money on the STADIUM.Talking of Everton,they will soon have a half empty stadium if they struggle like they are at the minute.And who wants a 60,000 stadium with ony 40,000 in it.Wolves owners may want a world wide audience but that ay gonna fill a stadium,and I doubt they will try to get people over HERE wen they car even put anything on for ar European journey for fans in GB.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have a decent fan base but we can’t compete with the metropolitan clubs in the numbers game. Bigger isn’t better for Wolves, in fact the opposite is the case.

Let’s not confuse good facilities with big facilities. There’s no reason why a 40,000 seater Molineux cannot be imbued with modernity to standards equal to anything found in big city stadia.

It would be a fateful error to proceed on the basis outlined by those who don’t know or won’t accept reality.

R

reanswolf

I think the biggest issue is that the club would prefer to build on the M54 out of town site but 90% fans rightly find that absolutely abhorrent.
Its such a shame that all the key town-centre brown field sites are now taken.
I guess its dificult to transform Molineux to the type of ground they would like.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many wolves members are there? How many fans are on the season ticket waiting list?
Guo has faith in us that we can fill a 50,000 stadium. Why can't we have faith in ourselves? We have to think big otherwise there is no point.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly may i appologise for taking this from VT, but replace North Stand with the Steve Bull, and replace Purslow with Jeff Shi, then almost everything thats said applies to Wolves and Molineux.

I guess there are a couple of different things about increasing capacity - firstly there are some practicalities to consider:

- we’d have to operate on a reduced capacity of around 33,000 for what probably amounts to almost two seasons - which mean unless you’re taking season tickets away from people there would be no other tickets on sale at Villa Park for two years. That’s a hard sell to people who can’t get a season ticket but want to see us play.

- it’s not cheap - to knock down the current stand and build another one with 6,000 extra seats would cost you a fortune - Liverpools extended grandstand cost £110m - a new North Stand would most likely set us back £70-80m. For that you get 6,000 seats - filled twenty times a season at £30 each would give you £3.6m in additional revenues, add in the extra stuff people buy on match days and you’re looking at not much over £4m extra a year.

- you have to fill it - there were calls in 2007-08 when we hit a 40k average for the first time in over fifty years to expand then, to take advantage of success and rebuild - but the success faded almost immediately and the demand went with it. In the Championship we’d have had nothing but another 6,000 empty seats and a lot more debt.

Practical schmactical, the small boy in me says - we’ve got money and spending on your ground doesn’t count against FFP. So why not take a chance, be confident and get started?

But, I think I learned something this week - it’s mostly to do with some things that Mr Purslow said and partly to do with FFP, but I think I’m nearer to understanding the reasoning behind not having a plan in place to redevelop. i should say up front, I’m just a fan and I’m joining together a number of different things Mr Purslow said, it’s absolutely not my intention to speak for him or put words in his mouth (especially since I find him slightly scary) I am just some wazzock trying to figure stuff out.

At the meeting, one of the things we were talking about was ticket prices, and as part of that discussion, Mr Purslow said that match day incomes now only make up about 10-15% of the income of most clubs. I’m not sure where we are in that range, but I’m guessing it applies. It’s increasingly less important - as a fan, I’m hoping that means our season ticket prices can remain reasonable - but it’s important to note that with so much income coming from other areas, having a bigger ground doesn’t make a massive impact on your all-important top line. Increasing capacity by 6,000 turns 14% into 15%.

We also asked him about growing the fanbase, and being an old fashioned type with a grey beard, in my head I was interested in how we’d ensure that Villa was the key club in areas like Stratford, Lichfield, Bromsgrove, Tamworth, Redditch and as far way as Burton and Oxford - how we could ensure that those people would grow up as Villa fans and ensure that Villa Park was always full.

His answer talked mostly about Egypt.

He talked about North America, Australia, Scandinavia, but mostly about North Africa and Egypt - the influence that our having Egyptian players was having on our ability to grow the fanbase. Which at the time I found interesting enough, but the significance of which has since really hit home to me. These are the fans the club wants and the vast majority of them will never come to Villa Park. They’ll never have any impact on that 10-15% of our income - they live, support and exist in that other 85% of supporting the club. They watch us on TV and they buy stuff with Villa on it. They also have an influence on the countries they’re in - if Villa are the hot sports franchise in Egypt; owned by an Egyptian and with two of the three most prominent Egyptian players - then there are Egyptian companies that will want to get in on the act - Egyptian TV companies, Egyptian cereal companies - all sorts of people. The Premier League brings Egyptians, Americans, Moroccans and Swedes, tens of millions of potential Villa fans looking to share in our passion, our misery and our occasional joy.

One of the effects of FFP is that it places a demand on clubs to maximise their incomes - your spending is controlled by what you can bring in, the top line matters and there are limits on what owners can add to that. Each and every club needs to eke out every penny from every fan opportunity. Now as we’ve said, spending on infrastructure and new stands and the like isn’t directly linked to FFP spending - but for the moment, it might well be that our owners would prefer to invest in areas that are more directly football related - it might be that they need to until such time as we’re generating enough income to allow them not to. Manchester City have worked their socks off in increasing their revenues, Chelsea did it too - it frees teams up to spend not just more, but to spend in the areas they want to.

For us, that means picking the lowest hanging fruit first. Here’s an example; Trezeguet has over four million instagram followers, to put that into perspective, Aston Villa has less than half a million and Spurs have two million. For Villa that means there’s an opportunity to get each of them to buy something Aston Villa - if might be a Trezeguet home shirt at £73.95, or it might be a one off TV pass to watch a game on Amazon - but if you can get even just £1.00 out of each of them - you make more than that expanded North Stand would in a season, and your outlay is almost zero.

It’s just an example - one of many ways in which the way that Christian Purslow thinks about football is very different to the way most of us do - the different ways that the people currently running the club are looking at making money are pretty wide ranging and to an extent counter intuitive - but they’re likely to be effective, they’re likely to do more for the club than making sure a bloke in Burton can buy a season ticket.

Bournemouth made £135m last year while we made £68m in the Championship - our average attendance was three times their capacity - it’s no longer a decisive factor.

I guess the world has changed since I was a ten year old dreamer, and for what it’s worth, I still want that redeveloped North Stand, I still want to brag about our attendances and I still want to sit there and think about how ‘big’ we are as a club, me and 47,999 other Villa fans - I’m still a dreamer, albeit an older one.

Christian Purslow will decide on my dreams and his is a mind unfettered by sentiment.

In the cold black and white of the balance sheet, redeveloping the North Stand isn’t the best way to increase revenues and increasing revenues is the single most important thing that he has to do in order to push the club forward and allow us to change things on the pitch.

Given its limits in terms of income generation, and the practical implications, right now, increased attendance is a vanity project - a cherry for a cake he’s still baking.

That cake needs us to stay in this league, to establish ourselves, to use that to get sponsorship deals, larger global fanbases, better income from our commercial endeavours - there’s a lot of money in all that stuff - once we’ve got it, I hope we can come back to the cherry. He’s not immune to the ideas of dreamers, football is a business unlike any other, he’ll understand the desire for more seats, he’ll most likely share it - but he’ll not invest in a daydream, and he's not going to lose any sleep on my inner child's sulk.

So, Mr Purslow says “No” - we’re not getting a redeveloped North Stand any time soon and it makes me sad. I’m sure he cares little about my sad inner child, because he’s working on making this club one that can win and one that will make all of us happy. I think it probably makes him a good CEO.

If I was in charge, the bulldozers would be waiting on Witton Lane as you read this and we’d be starting a new stand in the summer. You’re better off with him than me. I can dream a different dream for now, I think we’ll be a while coming back to this one - but in terms of what we're trying to do, we're better off awake.

It feels like we need a new North Stand - but our immediate future might not be based on how we feel.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, except that we are further ahead with where we want to be as a Club than the Vile.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many wolves members are there? How many fans are on the season ticket waiting list?
Guo has faith in us that we can fill a 50,000 stadium. Why can't we have faith in ourselves? We have to think big otherwise there is no point.

Because some of us know the club better than Guo, those of us who have been observing it for over 50 years as opposed to just over 3 years in his case

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the absence of news, even if the news is that the club has decided not to redevelop Molineux in the foreseeable future, this debate will keep going round in circles on here.

On the one hand are those seeking a modest increase in size (around 40k), done in phases at Molineux. Their argument is that because our recent historic crowds have mostly averaged in the 20k’s, that anything bigger will be half empty. This argument assumes that history is a guide to the future, that the current/prior stadium and our on field performances were not limiting our crowds, this is just the size our of club and support. The other aspect of this view, is that if we were to expand to a 50k stadium, it would be full of “plastics” and the atmosphere would suffer. This is I think a more serious concern given the experience of some other clubs, but I think it could be addressed by the design of the ground and intelligent ticket pricing.

Then there are those, like me, who argue that short sighted decisions taken by prior owners have left us with older, smaller and often half finished grounds, and that now is the opportunity to right this and build a stadium that matches the clubs ambitions and is built to last. For this, we look at our PL competitors, and see them building 50-60k state of the art stadiums, and we ask why should we settle for less if we aspire to be a top European side? The argument that we are not in a big or wealthy enough location doesn’t wash since Newcastle, Liverpool and Manchester all fill such stadiums. There is also some self interest in that our current stadium locks out a good number of Wolves fans who cannot commit to a season ticket, yet would like to go to a few home games each season. Even a modest increase in capacity is not going to fix that, unless we end up back in the Champ, when I could get a ticket for almost any game I wished.

Finally there is a minority who go further, and argue that only by moving can we build a Spurs like stadium in our lifetimes. I understand the argument, but I also think this is unnecessary. The Molineux site, with out without use of the Asda site, is big enough for a state of the art 50k+ stadium. If necessary we could temporarily move to permit a single phase redevelopment, and still have our Molineux cake and eat it.

Last edited:
R

reanswolf

Disagree respectfully, we have to think ambitiously but realistically.
Why on earth do you think we could fill a 50,000 stadium?
We would struggle to sell out a 35,000 regularly in my opinion.
We might fill a 40,000 sometimes, for big games.

We have 28000 Wolves fans attending every game at present, we have 5000 on the ST waiting list but I expect the vast majority of them are part of the 28000 that currently attend. remember we are capped at about 22-23000 ST holders.

If we continue to grow, then great, do it sensibly, but anyone who think s we can simply double our fan-base from what it is now is suffering from some sort of delusion.

40,000 seems ample to me.

Back
Top Bottom