Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Modern day vs Old Skool.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My football fantasy is dropping Cristiano Ronaldo in the middle of the 1970 FA Cup final. How funny would that be watching him do his stopovers in front of Chopper Harris!

Probably wouldn't be amusing as you think. Ronaldo could probably outrun a 70s player at about 2:1...with the ball.

Shirtliffs shinpads

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't be amusing as you think. Ronaldo could probably outrun a 70s player at about 2:1...with the ball.
Just as Stanley Mathews did, and a certain Wolves player that was compared better than Best, mainly due to the fact they were in better physical shape than 70% of the rest of the league!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing symbolizes the old v new dilemma more than the Sir Jack Hayward statue.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves fans during the season: "it's disgusting the way these rubbish teams are trying to break Jota's legs, ban the thugs!"

Some of the same fans during the WC: "weren't the good old days when top players regularly had to retire early due to being broken by thugs fantastic!"

S

ShropshireLad

I

I’d love to see those......I will try to find them but if anybody has a link, thank you in advance.
I've had a good look through my sent emails and the bin but can't find them. However, they'll be on here posted around 25th April if that's any help.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just as Stanley Mathews did, and a certain Wolves player that was compared better than Best, mainly due to the fact they were in better physical shape than 70% of the rest of the league!

My first match watching Wolves (mid fifties) they came off the field at half time and the old gold on their shirts matched the black shorts - they were sodden with sweat! They came out in new shirts for the second half and were soon wet through again, but won 2-1 and I'm sure they all put in twice as much effort as any of the opposition players. My Dad and I had been among the opposition supporters and they were of the same opinion.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As we have another World Cup circus in progress might I indulge in a spot of topical web based chewing of the cud?

Ramsey was appointed manager in 1963. He became the first true national manager as Winterbottom only worked alongside the selection committee. Ramsey wanted complete autonomy in affairs and got it. One might say that at the time he was 'Modern Day' in that he took over the national side, introduced 'revolutionary' tactics/formation', won the thing in '66 and arguably by 1970 in Mexico was overseeing an even better English squad. The game against Brazil in the qualifying round is still one of England's (and the World Cup) greatest ever games might I suggest, even though we lost it. The save, the tackle and the pure football poetry that was (is?) Brazilian football and the mutual respect shown by true greats of the game on both sides, it had it all. It didn't quite work out of course and four years later Ramsey had been sacked.

It might be argued that the FA might just have got it right in the sixties by appointing Ramsey and letting him get on with it. There were, as always, behind the scenes egos out of joint. Harold Thompson, chairman of the FA being cited by some as holding a grudge etc etc. Ramsey went and considering his contribution to English football was left to relative obscurity. Other World Cup winners from the sixties were also never employed to lend their considerable experience to English football. It was then up to the FA to replace Ramsey. Bear in mind that Ramsey and players he picked were 'old skool' in that they didn't go out with serious intent to involve themselves in 'gamesmanship' (cheating). Hurst's last goal in '66 proof enough of that when Bobby Moore might have booted it onto Wembley Way or fiddled about in the corner to 'close the game down' which I believe is 'new skool' terminology. Instead he carried on playing football worthy of a World Cup final and knocked a beauty in to Hurst's path.

What did the governing bodies do next after doing something right? They employed a manager who was no stranger to 'gamesmanship' (cheating). Don Revie. After failing to qualify for 1978 he missed a game against Brazil - his reason given was 'scouting' the Italians- to fly to Dubai to negotiate a lucrative contract to manage the UAE. The FA refused to cancel his contract (giving Revie 'full backing' even though there is documented evidence they had already offered Bobby Robson the job) so Revie announced to the press he was leaving England for Dubai. There followed legal wranglings and English football had failed to reach 2 WC finals. Throughout the seventies there was a manager who had performed miracles at Derby and Nott's Forest with his 'assistant' Peter Taylor, was known to be 'proper' football, hated cheating, fined his players for dissent and had (with some credibility) branded Leeds United under Revie as 'cheats'. Brian Clough was completely ignored, well he was given a sham 'interview', by the FA.

No room, time or inclination to continue the English game's spiral into a 'global' game but consider this. There was 'gamemanship' (cheating) in 1966. Argentina v England being one example. Pele was kicked off the pitch also. England won it with some dignity, football skill, grit and with integrity intact. Then came their replacement which probably put the game in England back a good ten years.

'Modern Day' or 'Old Skool' isn't it possible to win things with true sportsmanship? The difference now is that the laws pander to 'non contact' play and the players, most coaches and sadly most fans see cheating as 'professional'. It really isn't it's, well, cheating and many players who do have more than enough skill to cut it out and play football proper.

Its governing bodies have sold it short for decades. Sold it to the pimp with the biggest wallet.

Last edited:

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As we have another World Cup circus in progress might I indulge in a spot of topical web based chewing of the cud?

Ramsay was appointed manager in 1963. He became the first true national manager as Winterbottom only worked alongside the selection committee. Ramsay wanted complete autonomy in affairs and got it. One might say that at the time he was 'Modern Day' in that he took over the national side, introduced 'revolutionary' tactics/formation', won the thing in '66 and arguably by 1970 in Mexico was overseeing an even better English squad. The game against Brazil in the qualifying round is still one of England's (and the World Cup) greatest ever games might I suggest, even though we lost it. The save, the tackle and the pure football poetry that was (is?) Brazilian football and the mutual respect shown by true greats of the game on both sides, it had it all. It didn't quite work out of course and four years later Ramsay had been sacked.

It might be argued that the FA might just have got it right in the sixties by appointing Ramsay and letting him get on with it. There were, as always, behind the scenes egos out of joint. Harold Thompson, chairman of the FA being cited by some as holding a grudge etc etc. Ramsay went and considering his contribution to English football was left to relative obscurity. Other World Cup winners from the sixties were also never employed to lend their considerable experience to English football. It was then up to the FA to replace Ramsay. Bear in mind that Ramsay and players he picked were 'old skool' in that they didn't go out with serious intent to involve themselves in 'gamesmanship' (cheating). Hurst's last goal in '66 proof enough of that when Bobby Moore might have booted it onto Wembley Way or fiddled about in the corner to 'close the game down' which I believe is 'new skool' terminology. Instead he carried on playing football worthy of a World Cup final and knocked a beauty in to Hurst's path.

What did the governing bodies do next after doing something right? They employed a manager who was no stranger to 'gamesmanship' (cheating). Don Revie. After failing to qualify for 1978 he missed a game against Brazil - his reason given was 'scouting' the Italians- to fly to Dubai to negotiate a lucrative contract to manage the UAE. The FA refused to cancel his contract (giving Revie 'full backing' even though there is documented evidence they had already offered Bobby Robson the job) so Revie announced to the press he was leaving England for Dubai. There followed legal wranglings and English football had failed to reach 2 WC finals. Throughout the seventies there was a manager who had performed miracles at Derby and Nott's Forest with his 'assistant' Peter Taylor, was known to be 'proper' football, hated cheating, fined his players for dissent and had (with some credibility) branded Leeds United under Revie as 'cheats'. Brian Clough was completely ignored, well he was given a sham 'interview', by the FA.

No room, time or inclination to continue the English game's spiral into a 'global' game but consider this. There was 'gamemanship' (cheating) in 1966. Argentina v England being one example. Pele was kicked off the pitch also. England won it with some dignity, football skill, grit and with integrity intact. Then came their replacement which probably put the game in England back a good ten years.

'Modern Day' or 'Old Skool' isn't it possible to win things with true sportsmanship? The difference now is that the laws pander to 'non contact' play and the players, most coaches and sadly most fans see cheating as 'professional'. It really isn't it's, well, cheating and many players who do have more than enough skill to cut it out and play football proper.

Its governing bodies have sold it short for decades. Sold it to the pimp with the biggest wallet.

I agree with much of that BNW, and particularly the final two sentences.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using the term ‘snowflakes’ for modern footballers and ‘hard men’ for previous generations makes me think you’ve already made up your mind.
Hate that phrase snowflakes - ridiculous

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woke up this morning with utter contempt for Neymar. Jumping up everytime he got tackled, demanding free kicks and cards to anyone who dared go near him. Give me players like Maradonna who rode the tackles, carried his team, and made defenders look cumbersome without having to fall over holding their knee when subjected to a flick on the ankle.

Last edited:

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Woke up this morning with utter contempt for Neymar. Jumping up everytime he got tackled, demanding free kicks and cards to anyone who dared go near him. Give me players like Maradonna who rode the tackles, carried his team, and made defenders look cumbersome without having to fall over holding their knee when subjected to a flick on the ankle.

I just don’t like him, never have.
Of course he’s a massive talent, but not as good as he thinks he is.

Ronaldo gets pelters for his arrogance, but he backs it up, repeatedly.
Neymar seems to have the same opinion of himself without the decade of dominance to deserve it.

I can’t take any player seriously that wants to challenge for ‘best player in the world’ by going to play in the French league for a massive payday, and just as importantly for him, getting out of the shadow of Messi.

D

Deleted member 4594

Watched the “highlights” of our 1960 fa cup final a while ago.
Both sides using an incredibly cynical tactic of constantly rushing out in a line to catch the opposition offside. Didn’t make for a great watch to be honest...

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our only WC winning manager, we could at least spell his name correctly !

No doubt we all could and, while we are at it, also Jimenez and Wilshere, but c'est la vie. In a world where 'of' passes happily for 'have' and 'filth' is something commendable, I've given up bothering about such matters.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well what is "old days" anyway?
I just read a book about Frank Edward, the WW1 soldier who dribbled a football across "no man's land" in 1915, as the Brits charged towards the Germans trenches. It took 2 bullets and a dose of poison gas to take him down.
Now if you compare even the hardest of players from the so called "old days" (often the 60's, 70's and 80's) to him, then they dyre look like a bunch of "softies" :D

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ref should have left them to 'Carry on Milling' .... Football, Beer, Milling, those were the days..ehh !!

My Dad said this was the longest fight he has EVER done, he fought in the Falklands with the Para's from start to finish..
P Company - For real Men!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't Norman Hunter supposed to be a proper hard man? He really didn't look it there. Only hard when he was launching himself studs first into unsuspecting people's knees and ankles. I suppose you never have to fight much when all of your victims are too busy tending to the holes in their legs though, maybe that was why he got sparked out by a slap.

Eddie Clamp from what I gather was a proper hard man.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved old skool 90s football because it was more rigid and exciting in terms of physicality of games

But to see us playing like Barcelona is just totally mind blowing and I love what Nuno has started so for me the modern way has got me because the model he’s implemented is successful. Although many didn’t like solbakken he tried and didn’t work so fair play to Nuno for doing it really. Also when Nuno came in he said he would make our current players better we all thought yeh ok whatever. Just look at Coady, Doherty ect

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No doubt we all could and, while we are at it, also Jimenez and Wilshere, but c'est la vie. In a world where 'of' passes happily for 'have' and 'filth' is something commendable, I've given up bothering about such matters.

I agree, but we old farts do need to let these Philistines know that we are not enamoured of their upstart nonsense! :rolleyes:

S

ShropshireLad

As for that "alot"...it bugs me no end - and don't get me started on the apostrophe.

Back
Top Bottom