Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Modern day vs Old Skool.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw on another thread someone saying something about how the game had changed.
Has the game progressed in a way that has made it a better spectacle? Do the modern day snowflakes throwing themselves to the floor ruin it? Do we miss the hard men we used to have?

Not just Wolves but football in general, What are your thoughts?

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw on another thread someone saying something about how the game had changed.
Has the game progressed in a way that has made it a better spectacle? Do the modern day snowflakes throwing themselves to the floor ruin it? Do we miss the hard men we used to have?

Yes we miss the old days

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Using the term ‘snowflakes’ for modern footballers and ‘hard men’ for previous generations makes me think you’ve already made up your mind.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Don’t get the obsession with comparing the two tbf, football is football really, old people liked old football and young people like modern. But there’s nothing to say older generations don’t enjoy modern just as much.

K

Kiddywolves

Don’t agree with all the rolling around on the floor like you have been shot but the modern game is better in my opinion.

The modern, skillfull passing game based on technique and fitness is far superior than the old game based on hard work. Nothing good about seeing someone trying to break another blokes leg because he lacks the ability to stop him professionally

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hardly Canelo v GGG. As far as fights go that was pathetic. Hard men? Look like a pair of knobheads to me.
Easy tiger it's not meant to be the UFC, it's an improvement on today's pushing an pulling hold me back antics, at least they had a go.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Used to love watching Wolves play after the Turner and Bully rise up the divisions in battered old stadiums, watching hoof ball and ‘gerrip up’ every time one of defenders had the ball. Interspersed with a bit of skill occasionally- good times.

D

Deleted member 3604

I suspect they were far more skilful in the 70's playing on surfaces like the baseball ground. The game hasn't evolved technically but the application probably has. Still think there are a few tough guys out there but I like to see a good clean tackle in the penalty area. Ronaldo's 1st was a non-goal for me .. the 3rd made up for it.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy tiger it's not meant to be the UFC, it's an improvement on today's pushing an pulling hold me back antics, at least they had a go.
If you're gonna have a fight, do it properly, that was pathetic. I'd say Franny Lee fights like a girl, but that would be unfair on girls.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t get the obsession with comparing the two tbf, football is football really, old people liked old football and young people like modern. But there’s nothing to say older generations don’t enjoy modern just as much.
Spot on

D

Deleted member 5910

The simple problem I have with modern football is too much time is wasted.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Using the term ‘snowflakes’ for modern footballers and ‘hard men’ for previous generations makes me think you’ve already made up your mind.
Yes my mind is made up.
I prefer today's game. Better pitches, better athletes. The technical aspect isn't necessarily better as some of the players from yesteryear (Maradona, Best, Pele, Puskas, Gazza, Platini) would still be amongst the best in the world in today's game in my opinion.
The snowflakes I mentioned, those who pirouette on their was down after a boot came within a few inches of them, those who go down under the slightest of touches, those are the ones that annoy me.
As for the hard men, not being able to kick lumps out of a player has nullified the need for them. Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira would still easily do a job, a Vinny Jones probably not.

So never mind, you were partly right, but I had to put across both sides for opening a potential debate.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d settle for modern day football, but me being 18 again to watch it.
Me too! My lad is 19, a season ticket holder and goes to all away games too. Just like i did at his age. Difference being he is watching great football and a team in the top division.... When I started going to all home and away games it was 1984...

Wish i was 19 again and able to go to all the games. Keep telling my son to savour it.

S

ShropshireLad

Very true, our Jade.

I didn't like the modern trend of "crab football" (for lack of better words) a la Hoddle and Solbakken etc at all until I saw it unfold properly last season. The YouTube "seminars" which show how we play and break teams down (shown on the Mix last season) were a revelation. Now I'm a convert.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes my mind is made up.
I prefer today's game. Better pitches, better athletes. The technical aspect isn't necessarily better as some of the players from yesteryear (Maradona, Best, Pele, Puskas, Gazza, Platini) would still be amongst the best in the world in today's game in my opinion.
The snowflakes I mentioned, those who pirouette on their was down after a boot came within a few inches of them, those who go down under the slightest of touches, those are the ones that annoy me.
As for the hard men, not being able to kick lumps out of a player has nullified the need for them. Roy Keane or Patrick Vieira would still easily do a job, a Vinny Jones probably not.

So never mind, you were partly right, but I had to put across both sides for opening a potential debate.

Fair enough, I just hate that bloody term, and it seems pretty popular on this forum.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough, I just hate that bloody term, and it seems pretty popular on this forum.
It's a pretty good way of summing some people up. The softening up of society at times applauds it. I personally detest it.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So much has changed imho, and most of it for the better. The ball is incredibly different. The pitches are superb. Players are ultra fit. The football generally is more composed and skillful. Stadia are far better.
I've enjoyed watching the wonderful football from Wolves last season more than any other since I was a boy; the skills of the 50's Wolves side were superb and when we talk of them and long ball we really talk about passes in the Neves style, not up and unders/hoofball, and it was tremendously exciting, but so was last year.
Downside; Ridiculous wages. Endless diving, shirt pulling and straight forward cheating.

Reactions: Ian
E

E is for idiot.

Yes we miss the old days

Wasn't Norman Hunter supposed to be a proper hard man? He really didn't look it there. Only hard when he was launching himself studs first into unsuspecting people's knees and ankles. I suppose you never have to fight much when all of your victims are too busy tending to the holes in their legs though, maybe that was why he got sparked out by a slap.

Norris

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wasn't Norman Hunter supposed to be a proper hard man? He really didn't look it there. Only hard when he was launching himself studs first into unsuspecting people's knees and ankles. I suppose you never have to fight much when all of your victims are too busy tending to the holes in their legs though, maybe that was why he got sparked out by a slap.
I think it's more the comparison between pushing each other nowadays and actually throwing a few (girly) punches back in the day.

Wall heath Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only two things i would really change about the modern game is to get rid of the technology and to let people tackle properly again.
To see someone play the ball then get done for the follow through, whilst allowing all the shirt pulling etc at corners is ridiculous.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My football fantasy is dropping Cristiano Ronaldo in the middle of the 1970 FA Cup final. How funny would that be watching him do his stopovers in front of Chopper Harris!

B

Benson

Loved Old Skool football and still remember it with love.. but I prefer to not watch any old video clips because compared to modern football it was awful.. stupid decisions, stupid defenders, bad refs, low tempo, funny clothes, bad challenges. Modern football can also sometimes be awful, but I have to say I overall like it better. Modern football have (almost) no bad players.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
I remember back in the 70s the players used to come into the waterloo road stand after the game & have a pint and a fag with you

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was a bully. No more, no less.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
its a bit ironic that the example used to show the old school kicked up in the air football style happened to be dirty Leeds.
we all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds etc etc .

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pre-90s football was by and large terrible with hindsight. As were the grounds and pitches.

There was a reason you paid a pittance to get in.

I kind of miss it though.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The modern, skillfull passing game based on technique and fitness is far superior than the old game based on hard work. Nothing good about seeing someone trying to break another blokes leg because he lacks the ability to stop him professionally

I was talking to my dad last night about the Portugal v Spain match.
He was saying when he played football (retired from semi-pro in the 60's), if an attacker had passed the ball backwards he'd have probably not been picked again. The sole objective was for a winger to get to the byline as quickly as possible and cross the ball in. Base tactics, repeat forever.
He said the game has changed beyond all recognition and he'd have loved to learned some of what Spain were doing the other night.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to wonder just how good some of the players were considering the pitches and equipment they had to cope with. In today’s game I would bet Kenny Hibbitt would be an England regular and George Best would be competing with Messi and the other one for the Ballon D’or

Wiltshire Wolfie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You have to move with the times whether you like them or not. Football has evolved so much today that it is hardly recognisable at times from the game I knew as a young lad but I still love the game and have visited 77 UK League grounds so far and watched games here, in Germany, France, Holland, Cyprus, Spain and Portugal, I couldn't have done that forty or fifty years ago.

Gains:
Players fitter and diets far better.
Tactics have multiplied, many more systems utilised nowadays than the old standard 2-3-5 line ups of yesteryear.
Communications: Not just the local paper any more bringing fans the news but the Clubs themselves more proactive with manager press conferences etc. Add the Internet as well, with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram heavily used.
Foreign players: Some have really graced our football, some not. In 1960 when I first watched Wolves, we had Eddie Stuart, and Des Horne, both South Africans. It was virtually an exclusive British players League.
Pitches are far more durable over a season, some are like snooker tables. I remember with a shudder watching us at the Baseball Ground, Derby in ankle deep mud.

Losses:
The Saturday game at 3 pm. Sky have directed when we watch our teams nowadays.
Programmes that were just two pieces of paperprint folded up to make a nice informative 8 page leaflet for 3d.
The old A to Z half time scoreboards. It engendered a lot of anticipation of how our rivals were getting on although transistor radios were about.
The old Saturday night football newspapers specials like the Pink from the E & S.
Football Specials trains run by BR.
Players diving too often and claiming " contact was made"...well, it is a contact sport....
Terracing, mainly in the top two leagues.
Wages: Players earning astronomical amounts, some are millionaires by the time they are in their early twenties.

But it's still the beautiful game, as in life, football changes dramatically as time goes by....we have to move with it all.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I
Very true, our Jade.

I didn't like the modern trend of "crab football" (for lack of better words) a la Hoddle and Solbakken etc at all until I saw it unfold properly last season. The YouTube "seminars" which show how we play and break teams down (shown on the Mix last season) were a revelation. Now I'm a convert.
I’d love to see those......I will try to find them but if anybody has a link, thank you in advance.

S

ShropshireLad

Shropshire Lad said:

I’d love to see those......I will try to find them but if anybody has a link, thank you in advance.

They'll be on here around the middle of April by my reckoning, VW. In fact, I sent a couple as links by emails to a pal so if I remember I'll have a look at my sent mail and try to resurrect them tomorrow as it's too late for me to want to do it tonight.

Back
Top Bottom