Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MNF - Webb on VAR

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone watching MNF tonight, they’ve shown a couple of decisions with behind the scenes footage and have Webb talking it through.

So far;
Havertz clear handball into the net for Chelsea.
Newcastle handball pen shout v Arsenal (where it hit the thigh first).
Joelinton goal v West Ham (tight offside).

Have to say on the Joelinton/offside one, it is genuinely just one chap saying left or right a click to work out the last pixel, nowhere near being magnified enough on the West Ham player based on what they showed.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
arsenal at Leicester was interesting. Probably wouldn’t have seen that holding his hand without that commentary .

How many penalties are given when a defender is holding though! Barely any

This has to be led by the on pitch official like in rugby though. So much clearer than what is coming through there

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, just watched it. Kudos to Webb for coming on TV to explain. Admits they get it wrong on occasions (Toney). Also replayed the Jonny sending off against Leeds, which VAR overturned to red from original yellow.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
arsenal at Leicester was interesting. Probably wouldn’t have seen that holding his hand without that commentary .

How many penalties are given when a defender is holding though! Barely any

This has to be led by the on pitch official like in rugby though. So much clearer than what is coming through there
Yeah, have to say that one v White is a great spot and something perfect for it.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Highlights how weak the refs are

One ref told players to go away about 5 or 6 times and they clearly ignored him
Yeah made me laugh that as I'm sure it was our friend Gillet who couldn't wait to send Lemina off at Southampton.....

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unsure where I stand on having Howard Webb on this. Good that he’s trying to explain things.

But on the other hand it seems like another PR tool to try to justify the travesty that is VAR’s introduction to the PL, and normalize it in the game by making it a feature of the coverage.

The cynic in me suspects Sky are doing it as a viewings figures booster too.

Think I might just be in a Monday grumpy mood still!

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Highlights how weak the refs are

One ref told players to go away about 5 or 6 times and they clearly ignored him
The irony is that was the one v Bournemouth and it was the CB who was fouled trying to draw the referee’s attention to it so they’d check it.

Which Neville even asked Webb if the referee would have spoken to the player to try and understand if something might have happened.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guess you guys got a different coverage to me as there was no Neville/Carragher, but the pundit questioning Webb was Michael Owen. Wonder if the same clips were used and discussed! :rolleyes:

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Course it’s cherry picked and would have liked them to have challenged more. However it’s a start, a small step but hopefully this will allow more incidents to be shown.

Webb has inherited a right **** show.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Course it’s cherry picked and would have liked them to have challenged more. However it’s a start, a small step but hopefully this will allow more incidents to be shown.

Webb has inherited a right **** show.
He has

And he’s continued it

17miles

Reaction score
He's also on Talksport tomorrow morning at 10am. Obviously a PR thing.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's also on Talksport tomorrow morning at 10am. Obviously a PR thing.
Hopefully they give him a bit of a harder time.

Would have been good to hear them ask about the fans’ views (i.e. we all hate it). I know he’s there to run it, not to decide whether it’s binned, but would be interesting to hear what he thinks.

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a start, that they are now showing the process in its form.

The eventual aim, has to be both it being shown on TV and in the Stadium at real time.

It’s a standard part of Rugby, so why not Football and that would go a long way in terms of transparency and the system actually working as it should.

Let’s hope Howard comes on to a show and speaks about the stupid decisions next week!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t see it.

A fair few items could be learnt from other sports, notably rugby refs.

Players and managers/support team (including ours) need to have respect for officials. Should be automatic 10 yard penalty for dissent and only captain can approach ref.

VAR should be ref led and comms communicated in stadium. Any reviews start with a full speed playback.

Offside has to be automated or more likely with a larger tolerance - no way can they pick the moment the ball is kicked accurately and then decide by a toenail if offside.

Finally, 2x30 minute halves with stop clocks for out of play.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully they give him a bit of a harder time.

Would have been good to hear them ask about the fans’ views (i.e. we all hate it). I know he’s there to run it, not to decide whether it’s binned, but would be interesting to hear what he thinks.
Only if it is Simon Jordan….. the others talk a great game but buckle or don’t come with the same energy when the person they are ranting about is infront of them…..

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last night Keys and Gray said he was on their channel too (Bein Sports) and they both said that all he'd probably talk about would be the ones they'd got right. I'm not keen on Keys and Gray but if they can see it then it must be obvious.
The usual Sky Sports bullshat always seems to skirt around it, I've noticed Bein do seem to have a more vocal stance on it.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last night Keys and Gray said he was on their channel too (Bein Sports) and they both said that all he'd probably talk about would be the ones they'd got right. I'm not keen on Keys and Gray but if they can see it then it must be obvious.
The usual Sky Sports bullshat always seems to skirt around it, I've noticed Bein do seem to have a more vocal stance on it.
They did show one incident which Webb said was wrong because the VAR didn’t look at the whole incident.

Well that is a basic lack of training and awareness issue really .

I mean surely got to check everything?

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just caught up with this… Went through a handful of incidents but not a single one that they’ve had to apologise for this season?

Coooooooool, nothing to see here :cool:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
They did show one incident which Webb said was wrong because the VAR didn’t look at the whole incident.

Well that is a basic lack of training and awareness issue really .

I mean surely got to check everything?
I didn't see it, but I got the impression that when Webb started,he was very keen to get rid of that ridiculous wait for people in the ground. That lead to a couple of actual errors, including the one where Lee Mason was so keen not to look indecisive, he forgot to check for offside altogether.

Gromit

Reaction score
Unsure where I stand on having Howard Webb on this. Good that he’s trying to explain things.

But on the other hand it seems like another PR tool to try to justify the travesty that is VAR’s introduction to the PL, and normalize it in the game by making it a feature of the coverage.

The cynic in me suspects Sky are doing it as a viewings figures booster too.

Think I might just be in a Monday grumpy mood still!
Agre 100% ARTS

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t see it.

A fair few items could be learnt from other sports, notably rugby refs.

Players and managers/support team (including ours) need to have respect for officials. Should be automatic 10 yard penalty for dissent and only captain can approach ref.

VAR should be ref led and comms communicated in stadium. Any reviews start with a full speed playback.

Offside has to be automated or more likely with a larger tolerance - no way can they pick the moment the ball is kicked accurately and then decide by a toenail if offside.

Finally, 2x30 minute halves with stop clocks for out of play.
Why? Just clamp down on time wasting and implement proper levels of time added on like they did at the World Cup.

Also, a stopped clock would be hard to manage at grassroots football as I assume it would be the fourth official's job at the pro level.

Gazebowolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I didn't see it, but I got the impression that when Webb started,he was very keen to get rid of that ridiculous wait for people in the ground. That lead to a couple of actual errors, including the one where Lee Mason was so keen not to look indecisive, he forgot to check for offside altogether.
It wasn't Mason's job to check for offside, that comes under the jurisdiction of the AVAR. Just like on the field it is the Assistant Referee who calls offside.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Howard is on with Simon Jordan! Hoping he rips him apart like he tried with Eddie Hearn and doesn’t let him off as easily as sky did.

Clipboard

Reaction score
Looking at the complexity involved with the one example i saw - the overturn of the pen for Newcastle v Arsenal - i thought bloody hell its hellish complicated and stressful and they seem to be checking everything. Then my son put me straight and said that they shouldn't be trying to spot every possible issue all the time and just concentrate on what we though VAR was for in the first place. Checking issues that are clearly **** ups. For example (as has happened to us many times), if a goal is scored and everyone just gets on with it then there is no need to scour the footage for a potential hand ball or whatever! If there is a whiff of hand ball the players normally go mad and its something they should look at (although i guess this could be gamed by teams on the off chance there is something to rule the goal out).

I think they are trying to do too much and seem to miss out on the big picture.

Last edited:

Clipboard

Reaction score
Howard is on with Simon Jordan! Hoping he rips him apart like he tried with Eddie Hearn and doesn’t let him off as easily as sky did.
I just tweeted Jordan on the Lemena issue - suspect nothing will be said. Jim White is such a ****ing sycophant i dont expect any controversy at all.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re the Lemina sending off, am I correct in thinking this wouldn't be relevant to a VAR discussion as it was by virtue of two yellow cards and therefore not covered by VAR's mandate (or should I say agenda...)?

Clipboard

Reaction score
Re the Lemina sending off, am I correct in thinking this wouldn't be relevant to a VAR discussion as it was by virtue of two yellow cards and therefore not covered by VAR's mandate (or should I say agenda...)?
I think you are right. Its more of a crap refereeing point. then making **** up to justify it!!

Back
Top Bottom