Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mike Dean -answers on a postcard

Focke Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
My frustration doesn’t lie with the fact that Pogba fouled Neves and got away with it, or the fact that Greenwood scored, it lies with the fact that I haven’t got got a clue what VAR is meant to do in a situation like this - totally confusing. Isn’t VAR meant to be the safety net, backstop for incorrect play? Apparently they checked it, **** me. And Dermot Gallagher agreed with Dean as well but he came across as a bit of a brussel sprout with his analogy. My advice to you Dermot is to stop smoking what your brothers Noel and Liam give you.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
I made a half serious comment about taking legal action against Dean and perhaps PGMOL earlier. One of the practical reasons for doing this would be to have a court sanctioned trawl of their communications and see if there is anything incriminating regarding bias, or worse, corruption. I doubt there would be evidence of the latter, which would draw the police in too, but even some evidence of the former would be enough to blow the whole heap of turds up.
Mate seriously....Legal...
Bit OTT.
I like your posts but come on. There are **** decisions every week. Check any forum it will be the same. I'm just as disappointed as everyone else but I think we need a little bit of perspective here... not go into victim mentality.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gallagher said he didn’t think there was much contact .Warnock said he was torn but Sue Smith said it was a foul .
As for the Trincao follow up Gallagher said he was off the pitch -A) that is irrelevant in active play and B) I have replayed it several times and at worst Trincao was on the line .
What I do know having officiated with him he is a Man Utd fan so I I am not surprised about his myopia .
I thought if a foul took place off the pitch then the following applied:

if a player leaves the field of play as part of play and commits an offence against another player, play is restarted with a free kick taken on the boundary line nearest to where the offence occurred; for direct free kick offences a penalty kick is awarded if this is within the offender’s penalty area’

This is quite extraordinary. A foul outside the lines can be a penalty if committed in the space behind the penalty area, 44 yards wide. If you wonder why you’ve never seen this called, it’s because the provision was only added in 2016.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I thought if a foul took place off the pitch then the following applied:

if a player leaves the field of play as part of play and commits an offence against another player, play is restarted with a free kick taken on the boundary line nearest to where the offence occurred; for direct free kick offences a penalty kick is awarded if this is within the offender’s penalty area’

This is quite extraordinary. A foul outside the lines can be a penalty if committed in the space behind the penalty area, 44 yards wide. If you wonder why you’ve never seen this called, it’s because the provision was only added in 2016.
Correct

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mate seriously....Legal...
Bit OTT.
I like your posts but come on. There are **** decisions every week. Check any forum it will be the same. I'm just as disappointed as everyone else but I think we need a little bit of perspective here... not go into victim mentality.

Whether that’s OTT or not depends on whether you think the decisions are errors made by idiots, or reflect clear bias for or against certain teams or managers?

Gut feeling suggests the latter, but you’re right, it’s entirely possible that’s just subjective reaction to one or more decisions going against your team. If the club of fan with resources suspected it may be bias, then they could employ a qualified expert to review decisions over a period of games, and objectively determine if there appeared to be bias from one or more refs. If there appeared to be evidence, then they could decide how to proceed, and yes ultimately, that might involve legal action.

I have to admit, the constant flow of rubbish decisions is getting to me!

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can the league not hire ref's from other countries? Bloody better than the so called professionals we have.
Can you see that happening in Boris's Brexit Britain? I can't. You have seen what they have said about the tens of thousands of missing lorry-drivers: 'train up the replacements yourself!'. Can't see foreign PL referees being high on the priority list for imported labour!

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can the league not hire ref's from other countries? Bloody better than the so called professionals we have.

i think we should, to much personal pay back with our refs, there is a such a shortage of officials we just have to rely on below average standard officials,

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having seen a replay and taken note of Dean's reaction; first he appears to wince at the force of the challenge, then he appears to make the globe hand gesture indicating Pogba had won the ball. Not only does Pogba miss the ball by a clear margin, he commits a yellow / orange card offence by catching Ruben way above the ankle, studs showing. The force of the challenge alone was enough for a foul.

For Dean to miss that from three yards away is a stunning display of incompetence. For him to then overrule the request of VAR to look at the foul on the monitor betrays something more. Either his trademark immeasurable arrogance, or his bias towards Manchester United.

Last edited:

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gallagher said he didn’t think there was much contact .Warnock said he was torn but Sue Smith said it was a foul .
As for the Trincao follow up Gallagher said he was off the pitch -A) that is irrelevant in active play and B) I have replayed it several times and at worst Trincao was on the line .
What I do know having officiated with him he is a Man Utd fan so I I am not surprised about his myopia .
Even if Gallagher said not much contact mate is it not dangerous play going over the top?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Here is a replay of the incident. Take note of Dean's reaction; first he appears to wince at the force of the challenge, then he appears to make the globe hand gesture indicating Pogba had won the ball. As we can see, not only does Pogba miss the ball by a clear margin, he commits a yellow / orange card offence by catching Ruben way above the ankle, studs showing. The force of the challenge alone was enough for a foul.

For Dean to miss that from three yards away is a stunning display of incompetence. For him to then overrule the request of VAR to look at the foul on the monitor betrays something more. Either his trademark immeasurable arrogance, or his bias towards Manchester United.
Is this meant to be a joke?

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Likewise. Funny how it seems to be specific refs for the most part.
Quite. I do think Nuno's comments on the ref (I forget who) last term consolidated an anti-WWFC feeling in some officials' minds. As it stands, it hasn't 'evened out' over the past three seasons and looks to be getting worse based on the the two 'pens' v Spurs and the 'non-fouls' in yesterday's affair.

For me, and I'm still rather cross about it all (have been since we lost those points to LCFC home and away) so forgive the emotive tone, I think the club should make a formal complaint about the variations in application of VAR between games, officials and clubs/opponents, and the rules in general, and seek written clarification and confirmation that the incidents cited with video evidence (of which there are far too many to chose, VVD handball, Burnley, Doc handball etc etc) were incorrect.

Once I saw Dean was officiating yesterday I knew there'd be something to boil my blood, and told several of my Utd-supporting friends. Hey-bloody-Presto, he ensures VAR doesn't review the Pogba challenge...

In summary: hurrumph!

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been too many iffy decisions against us since promotion; decisions that are clearly wrong on review. I don't want to think it, but I'm coming to the conclusion that there is more than incompetence at play here.
Have to agree, with the amount of money involved and the worldwide betting associated with the game it would be naïve, in the extreme, to believe there is no corruption in the game.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Quite. I do think Nuno's comments on the ref (I forget who) last term consolidated an anti-WWFC feeling in some officials' minds. As it stands, it hasn't 'evened out' over the past three seasons and looks to be getting worse based on the the two 'pens' v Spurs and the 'non-fouls' in yesterday's affair.

For me, and I'm still rather cross about it all (have been since we lost those points to LCFC home and away) so forgive the emotive tone, I think the club should make a formal complaint about the variations in application of VAR between games, officials and clubs/opponents, and the rules in general, and seek written clarification and confirmation that the incidents cited with video evidence (of which there are far too many to chose, VVD handball, Burnley, Doc handball etc etc) were incorrect.

Once I saw Dean was officiating yesterday I knew there'd be something to boil my blood, and told several of my Utd-supporting friends. Hey-bloody-Presto, he ensures VAR doesn't review the Pogba challenge...

In summary: hurrumph!
Mason

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if Gallagher said not much contact mate is it not dangerous play going over the top?
Perhaps the ref should carry some sort of swingometer to measure the amount of contact by which to decide the colour of any card.

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bumping this after seeing he’s making inroads on Hollywood with his cameo on Ted Lasso.

Gave him a talking line too, can his ego withstand the extra attention and adoration?!

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Bumping this after seeing he’s making inroads on Hollywood with his cameo on Ted Lasso.

Gave him a talking line too, can his ego withstand the extra attention and adoration?!
I thought the fact that in the match he awards a pen that was never a pen was just so so meta and the writers must be ****ing with him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have said it before, the reason you will never be allowed to hear what the officials are saying to each is ego. In cricket the DRS ( Decision Review System ) umpire can clearly be heard saying to millions at home " So and so I am going to have to get you change your on field decision " can you imagine that sanctimonious tin pot ego maniac Dean allowing someone to say that to him with God knows how many watching around the world.

I have just found out that Mike Riley mouth piece Dermot Gallagher has been on Sky saying it was the right decision. That man is an utter joke ( along with that equally pathetic parrot Peter Walton ) as they just do nothing but look after the incompetent buffoons in the middle. It was an utter joy on the recent Lions Tour of South Africa to hear recently retired referee Nigel Owens actually say things like " Well I cannot understand that decision " or " He has clearly got that wrong " words that I guarantee you will have to listen very hard to hear come out of the mouths of Gallagher or Walton.
Which is why rugby refs and cricket umpires are respected even when they make mistakes whereas PGMOL are universally despised and treated with the contempt that they undoubtedly deserve. "Professional"? Well they are paid to do it, but in terms of competence.....

bennymacca

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Newcastle 1-1 Leeds

Alistair Magowan

BBC Sport at St James Park

Mike Dean gets in the way, and 50,000 Geordies scream at him to shift. Steve Bruce sums it up by slamming his water bottle into the floor.

"Mike Dean, it's all about you" rings out from the Gallowgate End, and not for the first time this evening.

Back
Top Bottom