Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mick to Forest

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A friend of mine, London based Leeds United supporter was spinning last evening that rumours are rife in that city that Forest are to be taken over by an Arab consortium shortly and that they will appoint Mick as manager. For what its worth.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Guediora won't be going there then :)

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
A friend of mine, London based Leeds United supporter was spinning last evening that rumours are rife in that city that Forest are to be taken over by an Arab consortium shortly and that they will appoint Mick as manager. For what its worth.

Was in the papers yesterday.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big George and Edwards on their way then. As posted by others , no chane adlene will go there! :)

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh dear. I suppose we will lose most of our 'McCarthy is magic' brigade on here to Forest.:eek::wavey::D

T

Truckawolf

Good. Let's hope he re-signs all of his " put in a shift" brigade he signed for us.let's all pray he takes clipboard aswell.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Would be a great move for both Mick and Forest. I'm sure he would target a few of our players as proven Championship performers (Henry, Ward and possibly Kites and SEB).

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be a great move for both Mick and Forest. I'm sure he would target a few of our players as proven Championship performers (Henry, Ward and possibly Kites and SEB).

Would not be so gutted by the former two but would be distraught with the latter twO

B

bridgnorthwolf

Hope to god if he goes there he takes SEB off our hands!

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
Would not be so gutted by the former two but would be distraught with the latter twO

Could certainly see him targeting Kites, especially if he only has a year left on his contract. And regardless of SEB's lack of opportunities in the Premier League, he was always first choice for McCarthy in the Championship and his goalscoring record in that division is second to none.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Guediora won't be going there then :)

Don't be too sure about that.

Last season Mick was at Forest for one of the live games at the invitation of Cotterill. Pretty sure it would have been about showing him the 'new improved' Gueds....he would not have failed to be impressed...

If Mick does come in it will be quite embarrassing all round!

S

Sandwell Wolf

Obviously a big fan of flair players then but don't appeciate a decent defensive player when you see one.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't be too sure about that.

Last season Mick was at Forest for one of the live games at the invitation of Cotterill. Pretty sure it would have been about showing him the 'new improved' Gueds....he would not have failed to be impressed...

If Mick does come in it will be quite embarrassing all round!
Of course you are assuming that Adlene would want to play again for Mick.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And if this ever did happen that he wanted these players whose valuation of the players do you think would be higher? Personally i dont see him paying a lot for players he brought in cheaply. I think it is more likely he will repeat the formula that brought him success in the championship first time round.

Bend It Like Dennison

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope to god if he goes there he takes SEB off our hands!

and me really-I think he needs to move on for his own good and for our good.

Yeah I really hope SEB leaves too what use will a virtually guaranteed 20+ goals a championship season be to us next season when we're an aspiring mid table PL team??

Oh wait a minute...

F

FLEET WOLF

Yeah I really hope SEB leaves too what use will a virtually guaranteed 20+ goals a championship season be to us next season when we're an aspiring mid table PL team??

Oh wait a minute...

I'll have a bet with anyone on here now that SEB doesn't score 20 goals for us next season (or indeed, for any other team).

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The point is about Mick's possible opinion but it is known that Gueds really enjoyed being at Forest....it could happen.
Is in the past. Nottm F will be different especially as O'Driscoll has gone. Cotterill on his own looks as if he is not rated highly so new manager new club.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oh wait a minute...
If we did keep Kightly and Jarvis I think even Steve Claridge would be able to score.:D

The_Ned

Reaction score
Selling SEB to anyone we're actually going to play next year would be a bad idea. Is Cotterill no longer manager?

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Is in the past. Nottm F will be different especially as O'Driscoll has gone. Cotterill on his own looks as if he is not rated highly so new manager new club.

Cotterill took him to Forest....O'Driscoll?

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forest's fortunes turned round after the winter transfer window. Guedioura and Elokobi came in but also Sean O'Driscoll was brought in to assist the coaching. Difficult to say which of these three was the dividing factor in their improvement but safe to say it wasn't down to Cotterill.

Tring Wolf

Reaction score
And if this ever did happen that he wanted these players whose valuation of the players do you think would be higher? Personally i dont see him paying a lot for players he brought in cheaply. I think it is more likely he will repeat the formula that brought him success in the championship first time round.

To be honest mate, any bids for Kightly or SEB are going to be influenced by the fact they are going to be entering the final year of their contracts. Similar to Van Persie at Arsenal (who I understand is attracting bids of just £8m), the club may have to entertain bids that are significantly below their usual market value. Something along the lines of £1.5m may tempt us (I hope not as the prize for promotion is so much greater).

With regards to Ward and Henry who are on longer contracts, I'd suggest a fair offer for would be around £1.75m for Ward and £2.5m for Henry.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article especially about the confidence factor in relation to what Stale has been saying. Stale has picked up on the mental side of our players so hopefully we will see more confident players this season and I hope Adlene will be one of those.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest mate, any bids for Kightly or SEB are going to be influenced by the fact they are going to be entering the final year of their contracts. Similar to Van Persie at Arsenal (who I understand is attracting bids of just £8m), the club may have to entertain bids that are significantly below their usual market value. Something along the lines of £1.5m may tempt us (I hope not as the prize for promotion is so much greater).

With regards to Ward and Henry who are on longer contracts, I'd suggest a fair offer for would be around £1.75m for Ward and £2.5m for Henry.
I am confused as to whether it is the club not offering Kightly a contract or Kightly not signing one. I hope the club sort this out soon. I hope Kightly stays. SEB surely will be down to which other strikers stay or not and of course if Stale rates him. Yes its up to them.

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is up to Stale as to whether he wants to give Kightly and SEB new contracts.

B

bridgnorthwolf

Of course I'm serious! I cannot understand why everyone thinks he's suddenly going to turn back into a 20+ goals a season man overnight! Have you not seen him play this past few seasons?!

Just because we're back in the Championship it doesn't mean the clock will automatically turn back and everything will be exactly the same as it was. SEB will magically regain his confidence and match sharpness, we will sign a big, experienced target man who will be the perfect foil for him...

Our best chance of actually getting anywhere near decent money for him, because let's face it, he's worth pretty much sod all right now in the transfer market, is if Mick ends up at a club who've got cash to splash.

Fletcher is a million miles ahead of SEB as a striker and a goalscorer. If he stays, brilliant, if he goes, we will pocket an eight figure sum. We could put half of that into the pot towards covering the cost of relegation and the other half could buy another striker who's a million miles ahead of SEB.

Doyle, utilised correctly will be a much better striker partner for said goalscorer and in the righ system will also score plenty, regardless of what some people may think, and will create a lot more for others. Again, if he goes, his fee will certainly provide funds to sign an able replacement.

Sigurdarson, with his pace, strength and potential will have a part to play, and even if he comes off the bench more often that not, he will have that game-changing potential that we've been lacking from ANY of our strikers coming off the bench in the last god knows how many seasons.

Same thing could be said of Nouble.

As long as we're replacing anyone who's leaving, I only see SEB remaining what he has been for the past few seasons, a third choice striker who's out of condition, short on confidence and 99% of the time, offside...

F

FLEET WOLF

Of course I'm serious! I cannot understand why everyone thinks he's suddenly going to turn back into a 20+ goals a season man overnight! Have you not seen him play this past few seasons?!

Just because we're back in the Championship it doesn't mean the clock will automatically turn back and everything will be exactly the same as it was. SEB will magically regain his confidence and match sharpness, we will sign a big, experienced target man who will be the perfect foil for him...

Our best chance of actually getting anywhere near decent money for him, because let's face it, he's worth pretty much sod all right now in the transfer market, is if Mick ends up at a club who've got cash to splash.

Fletcher is a million miles ahead of SEB as a striker and a goalscorer. If he stays, brilliant, if he goes, we will pocket an eight figure sum. We could put half of that into the pot towards covering the cost of relegation and the other half could buy another striker who's a million miles ahead of SEB.

Doyle, utilised correctly will be a much better striker partner for said goalscorer and in the righ system will also score plenty, regardless of what some people may think, and will create a lot more for others. Again, if he goes, his fee will certainly provide funds to sign an able replacement.

Sigurdarson, with his pace, strength and potential will have a part to play, and even if he comes off the bench more often that not, he will have that game-changing potential that we've been lacking from ANY of our strikers coming off the bench in the last god knows how many seasons.

Same thing could be said of Nouble.

As long as we're replacing anyone who's leaving, I only see SEB remaining what he has been for the past few seasons, a third choice striker who's out of condition, short on confidence and 99% of the time, offside...

I agree with most of that-I hope Doyle can get back close to where he was, but I am not convinced he will.

H

Hatch End

I'm not convinced that if / when Mad Mick gets a new club he will want Clippo.

MM didn't bring him to the Mol, he just inherited him.

During the time Clippo was the manager on a temporary ( thank God! ) basis, he boasted that the team had improved tactically under his stewardship...............ok, he's mad as a hatter of course, but he appeared to believe it.
Not exactly going to endear himself to the notoriously touchy Yorkshire Irishman!

Wolv3nsam

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure the team improved tactically under him, but it had somewhat improved in terms of playing style (in my opinion, of course).

I'm inclined to agree with BW too. In fact, had Doyle not got injured for Reading in January in the 2008/09 season (or I think Coppell just took up shooing him onto the wing) I fully expect he would have outscored SEB that season as pre-January he was leading the chart by some distance. Unfortunately for us, both of them are probably short of a bit of confidence and in need of a lift - so the sooner they both grab a couple of goals the more beneficial it shall be to Wolves and themselves. Even if we lose Fletcher we would be looking at the most deadly partnership in the league providing they get a nice, early goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisgil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oh wait a minute...

You conveniently forget the fact that he couldn't hit a barn door in the Premiership, and the underrated Edwards has a better Prem scoring record from midfield than he does.

B

bridgnorthwolf

I agree with most of that-I hope Doyle can get back close to where he was, but I am not convinced he will.

Doyle's got a lot more to his game than SEB though, on or off form.

Whilst I will never deny that if SEB gets back to being anywhere near what he was like at his peak he would be a great asset, I don't think we can afford to take the gamble of having him as a first choice player. And whilst he's playing the role of bench-warmer, he's highly unlikely to ever get close to his peak again.

I said all of last season, the best thing for SEB would be to loan him out to a Championship club. We were in the Premier League, so it didn't affect us, but it would have been the best thing for him and for us because of all the possible scenarios:

A. He could have failed miserably in the Championship, then we'd have known he wasn't worth doing anything with other than shipping out ASAP to make room in the squad for new blood.

B. He could have got himself into shape, regained his confidence and had a successfull loan spell with plenty of goals.

If scenario B happened then that left us with new options and in a stronger position whatever happened. IE/

• We could have recalled him in January if we needed him or at any point if we had that option in the loan deal, which we should have done.
  • We survived in the Premier League and we spent this summer looking to strengthen. We wanted to sign a better striker who was available for around £8 million. We could have sold him on as his value had risen and he caught the eye of several clubs during his loan spell.
  • We ended up getting relegated, but we had a striker who we knew was in good form and good shape and capable of scoring ample goals in the Championship, so if when we lost a couple of our best players, we had one adequate replacement ready and waiting.
  • We ended up getting relegated, but his stock had risen due to his loan spell, so he ended up attracting interest from newly-promoted Premier League clubs and maybe one or two others. We could have sold him for a tidy sum, thus allowing us to put up greater resistance in holding onto our first choice players, thus giving us our greatest possible chance of an immediate return to the top flight.
By not loaning him out, however, he made no positive contribution to our season whatsoever, he's clearly out of condition, has no form whatsoever and probably offside. He has no real value whatsoever in the transfer market, we have been unable to assess whether he's still "got it". He may have, he may not, can we afford to take the risk? Not for me we can't.

B

bridgnorthwolf

I'm not convinced that if / when Mad Mick gets a new club he will want Clippo.

MM didn't bring him to the Mol, he just inherited him.

During the time Clippo was the manager on a temporary ( thank God! ) basis, he boasted that the team had improved tactically under his stewardship...............ok, he's mad as a hatter of course, but he appeared to believe it.
Not exactly going to endear himself to the notoriously touchy Yorkshire Irishman!

This is what I've been saying too. TC was here long before Mick.

I believe Mick promoted him to assistant, obviously rates him very highly and they obviously get on very well together, but even if Mick makes an approach there's nothing to say the club will allow him to leave as they obviously rate him very highly too.

B

bridgnorthwolf

I'm not sure the team improved tactically under him, but it had somewhat improved in terms of playing style (in my opinion, of course).

I'm inclined to agree with BW too. In fact, had Doyle not got injured for Reading in January in the 2008/09 season (or I think Coppell just took up shooing him onto the wing) I fully expect he would have outscored SEB that season as pre-January he was leading the chart by some distance. Unfortunately for us, both of them are probably short of a bit of confidence and in need of a lift - so the sooner they both grab a couple of goals the more beneficial it shall be to Wolves and themselves. Even if we lose Fletcher we would be looking at the most deadly partnership in the league providing they get a nice, early goal.

As said previously though, even if you rate them evenly on their goalscoring ability, there's far more to Doyle's game than SEB's, and he's a VASTLY superior football. That's the reason I'd take an out of sorts Doyle over an out of sorts SEB every time.

Best real-life example being that if SEB played in place of Doyle in our first season back in the Premier League, we would have been comfortably relegated. No doubt at all about that. Doyle that season was unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom