Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mick McCarthy

itsmee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree all you want. Thats your opinion

I have been watching Wolves for donkeys and in my opinion he is the best manager I have seen. First was Bill McGarry by the way

See what you did there

A

Andy Grays perm

Disagree all you want. Thats your opinion

I have been watching Wolves for donkeys and in my opinion he is the best manager I have seen. First was Bill McGarry by the way

Ha Ha HA Ha! Which Wolves have you been watching Warrington Wolve! Bill Mcgarry had us 4th in the old first Division, UEFA cup finalists and on it goes. Mike Bassett has the worst success rate of any Premiership Manager with a 100 games or more (16%) and the worst of any comparible manager in Europe (100 games or more). Oh and Mcgarry did not have the equivalent money to spend. He was best known amongst other clubs fans for his tactics, exciting play and professional approach to the media. Whereas Mccarthy is best known amongst other clubs fans as the 'northern comedy club comedian' who did sketches on Match of the Day. Get a grip there is no comparison between the two!

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick was best in my opinion too.

Consider we were competing in the top flight on the second lowest budget.
Patches of play were superb but few and far between.
I have fond memories of Turner but you cant compare the two.

Id love to share a few beers with Mick.
Weird thing is i dreamt i did a few nights ago and he was a thoroughly decent human.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mick was best in my opinion too.

Consider we were competing in the top flight on the second lowest budget.
Patches of play were superb but few and far between.
I have fond memories of Turner but you cant compare the two.

Id love to share a few beers with Mick.
Weird thing is i dreamt i did a few nights ago and he was a thoroughly decent human.

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has Mick been linked with any other jobs yet- serously I mean rather than the spam Villa one?

I hope he gets one as I'd like him to do well. He wont ever be in Bill McGarry's league but hes the best we've had since BM thats for sure!

C

cooper_J

Graham Turner did a lot for Wolves but he's similar to McCarthy in that he'd taken the club as far as he possibly could.

They were both limited managers who did excellently with small budgets but had significantly poorer records when they had money to spend.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Graham Turner did a lot for Wolves but he's similar to McCarthy in that he'd taken the club as far as he possibly could.

They were both limited managers who did excellently with small budgets but had significantly poorer records when they had money to spend.

Pretty much agree with that. Both had excellent records at signing players for next to nothing (Bull, Thompson, Downing and Venus for Turner, Henry, Ward, Kightly and Jarvis for McCarthy).

I'd also argue that they both brought well when allowed to spend comparatively large amounts of money as well (Thomas and Kelly for Turner, Doyle and Fletcher for McCarthy).

Where both struggled was in that 'in between' market (Ashley and Blades for Turner, Maierhofer (sorry Mugwump), Halford, Eastwood et al for McCarthy).

I think that generally, there are a lot of comparisons between the two Managers. Both thoroughly decent men who did fantastic jobs for us in extremely difficult (if very different) circumstances. Easily the two favourite Managers of my 25 years supporting Wolves.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dewsburywolf

I hope he gets one as I'd like him to do well. He wont ever be in Bill McGarry's league but hes the best we've had since BM thats for sure!

John Barnwell?? If only he headn't had that car crash or let Richie Barker loose on the team

Waggy's Boots

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Barnwell?? If only he headn't had that car crash or let Richie Barker loose on the team

Fair point but one we'll never know due to the car crash- and Richie Barker was another second in command who couldn't quite make the step up.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point but one we'll never know due to the car crash- and Richie Barker was another second in command who couldn't quite make the step up.

Dunno how much the car crash took out of him, but he only ever managed his 4 post-Wolves clubs for one season each with little or no success. His overall record as a manager is pretty poor, apart from about 2 seasons at Wolves.

H

Hatch End

Barnwell and McGarry were far better managers than Mad Mick and so was Ronnie Allen ( even if he was a Boggie hero ).

Anyway, so what, the bloke's gone! He did his best for us, it wasn't good enough unfortunately, but I'll happily applaud him if he ever comes back with a new club.

M

Mugwump

pretty much agree with that. Both had excellent records at signing players for next to nothing (bull, thompson, downing and venus for turner, henry, ward, kightly and jarvis for mccarthy).

I'd also argue that they both brought well when allowed to spend comparatively large amounts of money as well (thomas and kelly for turner, doyle and fletcher for mccarthy).

Where both struggled was in that 'in between' market (ashley and blades for turner, maierhofer (sorry mugwump), halford, eastwood et al for mccarthy).

I think that generally, there are a lot of comparisons between the two managers. Both thoroughly decent men who did fantastic jobs for us in extremely difficult (if very different) circumstances. Easily the two favourite managers of my 25 years supporting wolves.

oi!!

M

Mugwump

Turner did a lot more imo than Mick. He had a lot less to work with and had a club on its knees with no facilities and a 2 sided ground. Mick did a good job as well in his time here. Like Turner, he found his level and had to go.

Hollywood_wolf

Reaction score
Bill McGarry - I don't think you can argue that on purely league position he was the best manager in 50 years.
Mick McCarthy - Dragged this club out of what could have become an apathetic stagnation after the Hoddle period and althought it has not ended as well as it might have, he has left us with a legacy of a squad that is perceptively better and 3 years in the top flight, my number 2
Graham Turner - Will always be grateful for what he did, but ultimately he did not take that last step and when we came into the second tier with him, we were pretty short odds with Bookies to take that step
The what could have beens - John Barnwell and Ronnie Allen, I believe would have taken us forward and become the best, but for very different reasons didn't.
The also Rans - Graham Taylor - he should have done better
And the rest - god help us!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I started watching in the Turner era and the best football I've seen us play was under Dave Jones and he delivered top flight football for the first time in years.

Back
Top Bottom