Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Michail Antonio - final piece of the jigsaw?

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't understand where this faith comes from.
We have a very tactically astute manager. But still no striker who can score goals, and a squad that is on the whole goalshy.
The reason we didn't beat leeds Fulham or Bournemouth wasn't from a lack of possession. If we don't solve our fundamental problems we are going to struggle and I am not seeing a massive upturn in the score count.

Under JL we have lost to Man City and Man United, but beaten both Everton and West Ham and drew away at Villa. Any comparison to Lages team is pointless, JL has already shown he is capable of getting results in big games. We have strengthened our defence and midfield, got serious options off the bench too to make sure we last the full 90 when beforehand we were letting in loads of late goals.

A lot of people on here have written off Raul and Costa far too soon. One had been injured from pre season the other hadn’t played for a year. All the work that’s gone into getting them both physically and match fit is now about to pay off

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Under JL we have lost to Man City and Man United, but beaten both Everton and West Ham and drew away at Villa. Any comparison to Lages team is pointless, JL has already shown he is capable of getting results in big games. We have strengthened our defence and midfield, got serious options off the bench too to make sure we last the full 90 when beforehand we were letting in loads of late goals.

A lot of people on here have written off Raul and Costa far too soon. One had been injured from pre season the other hadn’t played for a year. All the work that’s gone into getting them both physically and match fit is now about to pay off
And written off sarabia and lemina who can chip in with goals
If julen wanted a goal scorer he would have prioritised one he didn’t because he sees Cunha in that role.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Some are just desperate for a wolves failure, it’s sad really

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And written off sarabia and lemina who can chip in with goals
If julen wanted a goal scorer he would have prioritised one he didn’t because he sees Cunha in that role.
Sarabia could easily go the same way as guedes, and has had 14 games this year without scoring. Lemina has never scored goals throughout his career.
Some are just desperate for a wolves failure, it’s sad really
That is never true. Sorry I don't get this. What is true is that we have a massive February coming up and I don't want to see the same failings that happened last time.
We all seem to be counting the points from saints Bournemouth et al before we've played them. The hammers and Everton games really could have gone either way.
We never beat saints at their place. And Bournemouth are exactly the type of team that we have struggled against for the last 5 years. They'll come they'll park the bus and we'll have to find a way through.
I would rather have a striker who hit 10 goals the last season out rather than one who hasn't done that for 2 years.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

On top of that, we really haven't seen much of Cunha to make any kind of judgments about his goal scoring ability. He's going to make a huge difference.

With our additions in midfield and Sarabia, I really think that we will create more chances moving forward. High press with more athletic midfielders means more transition-inspired chances and more bodies in the box. Sarabia is creative and has good delivery into the box. Once he's up to speed, then I think that Hwang will be relegated to bench.

With more chances, then I can see our forwards staying in and around the box more, instead of coming out wide or deep seeking the ball. With good delivery and consistent chances, Raul and Diego will put some away, no doubt.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sarabia could easily go the same way as guedes, and has had 14 games this year without scoring. Lemina has never scored goals throughout his career.

That is never true. Sorry I don't get this. What is true is that we have a massive February coming up and I don't want to see the same failings that happened last time.
We all seem to be counting the points from saints Bournemouth et al before we've played them. The hammers and Everton games really could have gone either way.
We never beat saints at their place. And Bournemouth are exactly the type of team that we have struggled against for the last 5 years. They'll come they'll park the bus and we'll have to find a way through.
I would rather have a striker who hit 10 goals the last season out rather than one who hasn't done that for 2 years.
Re Saints l must have imagined 20/21 and an epic meltdown by some folk on here at HT then....

Edited to add: l was there and enjoyed the game... But not as much as reading the Comms thread the next day...

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Ultimately J-Lo has improved the whole spine of the team. We’ve brought in quality throughout who have increased options all over the pitch. The goals needed to stay up will be spread throughout the team, not based on one forward. J-Lo has spent significant sums, if he had wanted this mythical centre forward he’d have got one over signing other players

Freeport wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

We never beat Saints at their place ? I thought we won there the last three times we played them.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely kidding ourselves if we think Ramos is ever coming here.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ultimately J-Lo has improved the whole spine of the team. We’ve brought in quality throughout who have increased options all over the pitch. The goals needed to stay up will be spread throughout the team, not based on one forward. J-Lo has spent significant sums, if he had wanted this mythical centre forward he’d have got one over signing other players
The mythical centre forward we crave is anyone that scores even one goal!
And the goals will be spread throughout the team? I'm not seeing where!

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Our record against Southampton in recent EPL seasons (6W-2D-1L):

DateHome TeamScore
2022/09/03WolvesW 1-0
2022/01/15WolvesW 3-1
2021/09/26SouthamptonW 1-0
2021/02/14SouthamptonW 2-1
2020/11/23WolvesD 1-1
2020/01/18SouthamptonW 3-2
2019/10/19WolvesD 1-1
2019/04/13SouthamptonL 1-3
2018/09/29WolvesW 2-0

Out of 22 matches with the Saints since the advent of the Premier League, Wolves have won 9 matches - 5 wins away and 4 wins at home. So, we beat Saints plenty at their place.

Against Bournemouth, historically Wolves are 6W-4D-6L - the past five games in the EPL, Wolves are 3W-2D-0L.

So, honestly, you are talking out of your ass.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Have you seen enough of Cunha and Sarabia to say they won’t score goals? Kudos to your football knowledge if you have.
No I haven't seen enough to say they definitely won't. But it feels like we will be relying on those 2 and podence to get the goals we need to stay up. I'm not seeing any coming from further back.
I hope this is the start of Podence becoming a reliable goal threat but deep down I suspect it is just another little burst.
I'd be much happier with our squad if it had Antonio over two strikers Raul and Costa that increasingly look like they are well and truly spent.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our record against Southampton in recent EPL seasons (6W-2D-1L):

DateHome TeamScore
2022/09/03WolvesW 1-0
2022/01/15WolvesW 3-1
2021/09/26SouthamptonW 1-0
2021/02/14SouthamptonW 2-1
2020/11/23WolvesD 1-1
2020/01/18SouthamptonW 3-2
2019/10/19WolvesD 1-1
2019/04/13SouthamptonL 1-3
2018/09/29WolvesW 2-0

Out of 22 matches with the Saints since the advent of the Premier League, Wolves have won 9 matches - 5 wins away and 4 wins at home. So, we beat Saints plenty at their place.

Against Bournemouth, historically Wolves are 6W-4D-6L - the past five games in the EPL, Wolves are 3W-2D-0L.

So, honestly, you are talking out of your ass.
You are correct. I apologise and put my hands up for being wrong.
Still it ain't going to be an easy game.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
You are correct. I apologise and put my hands up for being wrong.
Still it ain't going to be an easy game.
I will agree that there will be no easy games. We are going to have to grind them out - but, I think we have the manager and players to do just that. I'm sure that we will have a lot of 1-0 games in our future where we are sweating it out all the way to the final whistle.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I haven't seen enough to say they definitely won't. But it feels like we will be relying on those 2 and podence to get the goals we need to stay up. I'm not seeing any coming from further back.
I hope this is the start of Podence becoming a reliable goal threat but deep down I suspect it is just another little burst.
I'd be much happier with our squad if it had Antonio over two strikers Raul and Costa that increasingly look like they are well and truly spent.
We will stay up by scoring goals through the team. RAN, Dawson, Neves, Nunes (he’s due one) can all contribute, a returning Neto. I’m not saying we’re all of a sudden we’re going to be scoring 3 goals a game but I’m absolutely confident we have the goals to stay up

ng7wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Find it difficult to see him being any less effective than Jimenez/Costa are.

I think our business is done though. Only Wolves could score the fewest goals in England, have a very productive window but still not sign a recognised CF.
Pfft. Man City won the league last year without a proper number 9. All we need to do is play like City every week and we'll be fine

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Always admired this player right since he was MOTM for Sheff Wednesday way back in the day. Pity we day sign him then. Now given the view of him once again the other week I think the ship has probably sailed. We are still pretty desperately in need of a furthest man forward finisher though, so you never know we may gamble yet again.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We will stay up by scoring goals through the team. RAN, Dawson, Neves, Nunes (he’s due one) can all contribute, a returning Neto. I’m not saying we’re all of a sudden we’re going to be scoring 3 goals a game but I’m absolutely confident we have the goals to stay up

What we aren't going to suddenly turn into one of 2 maybe 3 teams in the league?

But we have a new manager and spent a few quid, if only we would sign Ings we would have scored loads more ffs

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry for creating new thread - but he is the player and CF I most want us to sign before tomorrow nights closure.

He ticks all the boxes for me

- Strong, Athletic, Quick. Target man type.
- Proven scorer of goals at this level.
- Experience.

We have had a 9/10 January transfer window for me.
Better than I and I think most of us would have expected. However, if we manage to get this lad in, I honestly think he is the difference between survival, and guaranteed survival.

Really hoping this happens in the next 24-30 hours.
9/10? Yowm an hard mon to please Walsall Wolf.
Has there ever been a better transfer window in our club hiistory?
A £40m striker, a wonderkid from Brazil, a high scoring midfielder from PSG for a snip of £4m, A well respected central defender and a solid midfieder with premier league experience. Its bin a bostin window.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question for those who want to take a chance on Antonio or Gyokeres this window: Would you still want them if that meant that we couldn't get a better rated striker (e.g., Goncalo Ramos) in the summer?
The summer could be to late

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dembele at Lyon may be available but I highly doubt they will do business with us. He is the style of striker we need.
Just seen Southampton will sign him for just 3m WTF!

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha doesn’t look a striker to me I would try and break the bank one more time for that tevez type of forward
Revel wasn’t a central striker. He dropped deep, went wide and tried to play in the hole the majority of the time. If anything I’d compare Cunha to him in wanting to play the same way.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Revel wasn’t a central striker. He dropped deep, went wide and tried to play in the hole the majority of the time. If anything I’d compare Cunha to him in wanting to play the same way.
End of the day we need an end product very very soon. February is going to make or break our season!!!!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think our forward line is as big a problem as our midfield. The jury is out for me on pretty much all our strikers, until they're getting played in for one on one's with the keeper and real close range chances.
I'm really hopeful that Gomes and Lemina will complement Neves and Nunes and help us get the ball into the forwards quicker and with more variety. Had we persisted with a Moutinho, Hodge & Neves midfield, I think we'd have gone down regardless of who was up front.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I don't think our forward line is as big a problem as our midfield. The jury is out for me on pretty much all our strikers, until they're getting played in for one on one's with the keeper and real close range chances.
I'm really hopeful that Gomes and Lemina will complement Neves and Nunes and help us get the ball into the forwards quicker and with more variety. Had we persisted with a Moutinho, Hodge & Neves midfield, I think we'd have gone down regardless of who was up front.
This is what julen is working on I think. Hence not prioritising another striker

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be played in for one-on-one's, or receive 'real close range chances' you need to have movement and some element of mobility. Costa's body is slower than his mind now, and Raul is a shadow of the player he used to be. Gomes and Lemina will help us sustain the high press that Julen wants as they're both far more mobile than Moutinho or Hodge, but I wouldn't expect them to add a great deal in a creative sense.

Back
Top Bottom