Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Michail Antonio - final piece of the jigsaw?

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry for creating new thread - but he is the player and CF I most want us to sign before tomorrow nights closure.

He ticks all the boxes for me

- Strong, Athletic, Quick. Target man type.
- Proven scorer of goals at this level.
- Experience.

We have had a 9/10 January transfer window for me.
Better than I and I think most of us would have expected. However, if we manage to get this lad in, I honestly think he is the difference between survival, and guaranteed survival.

Really hoping this happens in the next 24-30 hours.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry for creating new thread - but he is the player and CF I most want us to sign before tomorrow nights closure.

- Experience.

Better than I and I think most of us would have expected. However, if we manage to get this lad in, I honestly think he is the difference between survival, and guaranteed survival.

So why would relegation threatened West Ham let him go?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having watched him closely against us, he's only the final piece of the jigsaw, if you're doing a jigsaw about current Premier League footballers whose best days are well behind them.

That said, it could have just been a particularly bad game? He's a decent option to have from the bench.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

- Experience.

Was strong and quick five years ago - now he’s not quick any more and is injury prone.
Proven scorer of goals at this level in the past when he was younger
Experienced because he’s now past it.

Why would he be any better than Raul or Costa?

No thanks - let’s get someone in their early twenties please.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

- Experience.

So good that West Ham, who are in the mire with us, are happy to get rid. Hammers fans say that his legs have gone....

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dembele at Lyon may be available but I highly doubt they will do business with us. He is the style of striker we need.
Totally and I said the same on here previously and was ridiculed. Somebody said he was a journey man lol.

Antonio turns 33 in a few weeks and has never been a prolific goal scorer.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

- Experience.

I thought he was diabolical in the game against us recently and offered no threat - even to the point where I wondered if he thought he was coming here and didn't want to influence us having an adverse result.

On the one hand he'd be a considerable short-term option. On the other we already have Costa who we took a punt on and Raul who with each passing game looks further away from the player he once was and so signing another currently-misfiring striker probably wouldn't be a smart move.

On the flip side it would take a player who has got a goal in him away from one of our current rivals, leaving them with Ings - who is already injured for a few weeks on his 18 minute debut and has ongoing fitness concerns. Pragmatically if he was dirt cheap and we have nothing else lined up & he's sufficiently fired up he might not be the worst option in the world.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally and I said the same on here previously and was ridiculed. Somebody said he was a journey man lol.

Antonio turns 33 in a few weeks and has never been a prolific goal scorer.

Demebele a journey man? I think not. Not been in great form this season but if he catches fire he would be perfect.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the question is, is he currently a better number 9 than Jiminez, Costa and Cuhna. Then obviously yes.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meh, quite a handful on his day but a guaranteed goalscorer he certainly isn't. His highest ever prem haul is ten goals and his highest ever league scoring campaign is 14 goals in the champo.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meh, quite a handful on his day but a guaranteed goalscorer he certainly isn't. His highest ever prem haul is ten goals and his highest ever league scoring campaign is 14 goals in the champo.
We haven't had a striker score in over 30 games mate... we can't be turning our noses up at a striker that's scored 10 goals in each of his last three seasons, if he's available they have to consider him especially if it's an inexpensive deal. I highly doubt it happens now anyway, with Ings out injured they aren't letting him go.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

- Experience.

If you saw him against us you'd be prodding him to see if there are still signs of life there. Looked like a boxer past his sell by date and with two in nineteen this season, he's not where I'd be turning

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think Antonio will be coming - I think that's it for us this window. Whilst I don't think we can draw anything from his performance against us in isolation (West Ham hardly committed players forward to support him) he's on course to finish the season with I think 4 goals - an improvement on what we have but hardly justification for an expensive, stop-gap signing that may not even pay off in the short term.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
What's the difference between survival and guaranteed survival?

I think he's done ok considering that he came quite late to the top flight but past his peak now, not the ideal choice in my view.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having watched him closely against us, he's only the final piece of the jigsaw, if you're doing a jigsaw about current Premier League footballers whose best days are well behind them.

That said, it could have just been a particularly bad game? He's a decent option to have from the bench.

I think that's the suspicion....if he was doing better he wouldn't be looking to leave.
You can see him being bombed out at the end of the season, so a 2 yr contract somewhere else would be appealing.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's the suspicion....if he was doing better he wouldn't be looking to leave.
You can see him being bombed out at the end of the season, so a 2 yr contract somewhere else would be appealing.

He may also need a fresh start and actually raise his levels again for a new club. From his recent interviews, he's clearly not happy there.

Back
Top Bottom