Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Met Micky Holmes Today

P

PeteWolf

Bet a lot of people might not remember who he is, but he was outscoring Bully at one point.

Nice bloke, he's selling stairlifts nowadays. Anyone else had random meetings with ex-players?

A

ashfordwolf

Mick Holmes from the late eighties glory days! One of the first of the Sherpa Van heroes to be moved on. Good attacking player at that level

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember him well. Didnt he bag 8 goals in consecutive games and equal a club record? (Havent googled it and decided to rely on memory). My second memorable season as a STH.

P

PeteWolf

That's him, he went on to Huddersfield after us apparently. Not sure if it's still the club record. Interesting trivia question if it is.

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I worked at a car factory and we had a new starter on the next machine to me,turned out to be Daz Roberts(hat trick v blues).He was a temp worker who later failed the full time medical due to dodgy knees.Last i heard he was a gas technician for the MOD.Good lad.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ade Williams is now Radio Berkshire Sports presenter who sums up the living embodiment of smugness.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt he limp out of the Sherpa van trophy final...?

I seem to remember him going off a few times before conceding and receiving treatment at the side of the goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All i remember is that we brought him for about £1 million than was sick-note for most of his time with us.He still talks about his trips up the M40,and generally was happy to take the money without showing any real commitment to the club.

L

leeb

I sat in the boot of a Vauxhall Astra estate with Micky Holmes on the way back from Tranmere. Can you imagine a player doing that now!

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Mickey Holmes was one of my all time favourite players. Just a great time to be a Wolves fan we'd hit the bottom and he was helping us bounce back.

Remember him crawling off the Wembley turf in 1988, was gutted for him at the time.

Sent from my brain using some software or other...

B

bridgnorthwolf

My earliest first hand memories of Wolves are from 1988. I was too young to fully understand, but always remembered him to be a good player and never understood why he was let go after the title/cup win. From my young memory he was a much better player than most of the dross Turner signed from division 3 onwards. The odd gem like Cook and Stowell aside.

B

Brackley Wolf

Mickey Holmes was a ledge when I was in my late teens. Spoke to him on the phone once when I rang the main office - was talking to Dot Woolbridge (i think that was her name) he picked phone up while she was off checking something and chatted for about 20 mins - top bloke ....... those were the days.

K

Knightly

Indoor football in Berkshire with ex England and Man U Neil Webb back when he was a postie in Reading ten years ago. Injured just at the wrong time.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All i remember is that we brought him for about £1 million than was sick-note for most of his time with us.He still talks about his trips up the M40,and generally was happy to take the money without showing any real commitment to the club.

I see him in Caversham from time to time. Seen Mick Gooding bladdered in the Pitcher and Piano in Reading town centre a couple of xmas' ago.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if it's still the club record. Interesting trivia question if it is.

It's still a joint record of 7 consecutive goalscoring games. He shared it with Jimmy Mullen at the time, and it was also later matched by Kenny Miller during our promotion season.

F

Fazwolf

tricky micky one of my early heroes. on that scoring run v northampton lobbed the offside trap then lobbed the keeper. days before video lost probalay. only exists in our memories

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sat next to Adie Williams at Worrall Thompsons restaurant near Reading

Sat opposite Les Ferdinand on a first date at a tapas place in Henley (no second after I spent all evening trying to work out if it was him before wandering over to his table like I was looking for the toilets.

Landed in Copenhagen airport a few weeks ago and bumped straight into Nicholas Bendtner, returning home after Euro 2012. Rest of the squad including Dan Agger were being interviewed on the other side of the baggage reclaim. Nice guy.

On the way back had a chat with Martin Dahlin the ex-Blackburn striker who was out there doing some media work. Nicest guy I've met in football and had only good things to say about Stale. Seemed very knowledgeable about Wolves which surprised me. Wanted to talk more but I was so hungover I had to go and chunder.

Bumped into ex-Liverpool and Predator-famed Craig Johnston outside Harrods.

Used to dj at a club in London owned by ex-Brentford defender Carl Hutchings who told me about his battles with Bully.

Bumped into Carlton Cole outside Wembley after his disciplinary for comments about the England v Ghana match. Took the $$$$ about West Hams imminent relegation.

Saw Nathan Tyson in Reading after the play off game. I had the roof down on the car I owned at the time and just so happened to have my scarf within reach, started waving it at him and shouting red card red card. Cue astonished and baffled looks.

It's a bit ridiculous how often I bump into footballers in pretty random places this is just a small selection, and the amount I see on CCTV cameras....

E

EdwardLoxdale

Met Lee Naylor couple years back at airport in Edinboro. Top bloke, he went to pick his mate up an hour before the Celtic / Hearts match was kicking off lol cutting it fine .

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bumped into Sir Geoff Hurst at Nice Airport . . "are you Geoff?" says I . . "the last time I looked!" says he!!!!

F

FLEET WOLF

Recently bumped into Ray Wilkins waiting for his wife to come out of a consultant's room, whilst I was waiting for mine to come out, at a private hospital.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Mickey Holmes was a ledge when I was in my late teens. Spoke to him on the phone once when I rang the main office - was talking to Dot Woolbridge (i think that was her name) he picked phone up while she was off checking something and chatted for about 20 mins - top bloke ....... those were the days.

Dot Wooldridge...top, top lady.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone else had random meetings with ex-players?

I met Steve Daley around Christmas whilst walking around Tettenhall. But my most random meeting would have been when I was at uni and I went to watch Aberystwyth Town play Bettws (a small village team near Maesteg) away in a Welsh Cup match. Bettws new assistant manager was Steve Mardenborough.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Stood next to Willie Carr in the Western a few years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Met Steve Daley a few years ago, I think he was "repping" for Holt's brewery.. really nice guy

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
oh...and played crown green bowls against Norman Deeley...fine gent !

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Geoff ' Zico' Palmer is captain of our Golf Club.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always thought he was a shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I met Steve Daley around Christmas whilst walking around Tettenhall. But my most random meeting would have been when I was at uni and I went to watch Aberystwyth Town play Bettws (a small village team near Maesteg) away in a Welsh Cup match. Bettws new assistant manager was Steve Mardenborough.
I know I'm getting old but I can't believe how you guys would recognise such fringe players as Mardenborough and Gooding. I wpouldn't have a clue what they looked like!!!!!!!!!

B

Bostin

Ran over Alan Smith's foot (Man U, Newcastle etc) with a trolley in Orlando airport a few years ago.

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know I'm getting old but I can't believe how you guys would recognise such fringe players as Mardenborough and Gooding. I wpouldn't have a clue what they looked like!!!!!!!!!

I read it in the programme for the game. He was also the only black guy in the pub. I think it freaked him out when I asked for his autograph. From the five minute chat I had with him, he seemed a nice enough guy.

When I was about 10 I also met Mark Rankine outside Barclays up town. I yelled 'Hello Mr Rankine at him' I think I scared him $$$$less!

B

bridgnorthwolf

I'd recognise Mick Gooding no problem. Remember him from playing for us, but also more recently as player-manager for Reading.

Steve Mardenborough I don't know so much, but remember him being on TV for being scoring the winner the last time we won at Anfield (In the build up to the game when Ward changed that record), so yeah I'd recognise him too.

I'm pretty good with faces. Once I've seen one, I tend not to forget!

J

jayeff17

Shame on you Steve Mardenborough who scored our winner at Anfield many many years ago the year we were relegated from the old division one.

:willy: :willy: :willy:

W

Westport Wolf

Anyone else remember when Paul Jones and one or two others went on loan to Stockport County in about 1997-98? I was on my way to Penrith and stopped at Cheadle services and there was Paul Jones and a few other in the car park, waiting for another players to share a lift to the Stockport training ground.

I didn't stop to chat as I was dying for a whizz, but they said hello.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I stayed at the same hotel as Terry Cooper and Norman Hunter three years on the trot on holiday in Torquay in the early seventies. Not a posh place at all - shows how things have changed I suppose as they were England plyers and playing for the top team in the country at the time [Leeds] and 'slumming it' in Devon.

Apologies for all those under the age of 35 who probably don't know who the heck I'm talking about.

Back
Top Bottom