Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matt Doherty

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
worst thing about this is the inevitable " if hes good enough for AM we should have had him back"

when its actually because his agent is Jorge Mendes
There are those who would say that your last sentence makes it more likely that we'd have had him back....

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great wing-back, but still dodgy in a back 4.

Athletico have played a variety of formations this season, 442, 4141, 433.

Nothing with wing-backs though?

Odd one.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
guess that means we are stuck with Our Nelson

Seriously, good luck Matt. Great servant here and has significantly outperformed his ceiling.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have had him back. Between now and the end of the season Id have backed him to score the most goals for us than our current forwards.

Sorry to be a doom monger, just my view. Doherty scores goals and is a genuine threat in the final third. No coincidence things dried up when he left.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have had him back. Between now and the end of the season Id have backed him to score the most goals for us than our current forwards.

Sorry to be a doom monger, just my view. Doherty scores goals and is a genuine threat in the final third. No coincidence things dried up when he left.

He scored goals because he had the freedom to roam inside from his wingback positions. Lopetegui prefers his wingbacks to provide with and mostly stay on the outside.
Also, he scored 28 goals in 300 games for us, so its not like we lost a major attacking outlet when he left.
I think because a lot of his goals where important goals, we tend to overestimate that part of his game.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He’s not scoring any goals for us from full back

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He scored goals because he had the freedom to roam inside from his wingback positions. Lopetegui prefers his wingbacks to provide with and mostly stay on the outside.
Also, he scored 28 goals in 300 games for us, so its not like we lost a major attacking outlet when he left.
I think because a lot of his goals where important goals, we tend to overestimate that part of his game.
Well in the Premier League his record is 11 goals and 14 assists in 119 games. That's a very good offensive output in the top flight for a wing back.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great wing-back, but still dodgy in a back 4.

Athletico have played a variety of formations this season, 442, 4141, 433.

Nothing with wing-backs though?

Odd one.
Maybe he's seeing what happened with Trippier, he's probably the best right back in the PL at the moment after having a stint at Atletico.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he's seeing what happened with Trippier, he's probably the best right back in the PL at the moment after having a stint at Atletico.

Yeah, maybe. If Simeone can teach Doherty to defend he will be immense!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well in the Premier League his record is 11 goals and 14 assists in 119 games. That's a very good offensive output in the top flight for a wing back.
Its decent, but is it enough to compensate for the obvious weaknesses?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
worst thing about this is the inevitable " if hes good enough for AM we should have had him back"

when its actually because his agent is Jorge Mendes
Maybe he'd not be a suitable RB, but to my mind we've not improved at RWB since his departure.

He's a very good attacking WB and was a prominent feature of the greatest Wolves team for generations.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s kind of my point. He’s of no use to us as we don’t play that formation now
I was agreeing. If we were sticking with a 343/352 I wouldn’t have minded him back. But as a full back, no thanks.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t he support Arsenal? Which would hardly have endeared him to Tottenham fans. I like Matt Doherty and wish him all the very best.

Who can ever forget his last minute winner against Manchester City.
Harry Kane was a childhood Arsenal fan.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe he'd not be a suitable RB, but to my mind we've not improved at RWB since his departure.

He's a very good attacking WB and was a prominent feature of the greatest Wolves team for generations.
Agree. Other than his goals/assists I think he deserves credit for his underlapping runs that freed Adama up when he was good.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if he was offered to a certain ex Wolves manager who now manages in Saudi ?, but this is a very good career move for the Doc and I wish him well.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree. Other than his goals/assists I think he deserves credit for his underlapping runs that freed Adama up when he was good.
The argument that his defending wasn't good enough, although obvious should never have been the earth shattering observation people meant it as.

Show me an effective attacking WB who can defend, and I'll show you a very short list of World Class WB's who would command elite level fees and wages.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good luck to him.

Should get far, far, far more respect than he does. Key to our revival. Key to taking us to the Premier League and Europe. Played his part in some memorable nights for us.

Bought for next to nothing gave us loads back and sold for a big profit.

Another good move for him.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Nuno try him at centre half on one occasion when Willy Boly was unavailable for some reason or other. I can't remember against whom. Played reasonably well there if memory serves me right but moved back to regular position for the second half. Perhaps too short a period to really indicate if he could perform well there.

blaenboy

Reaction score
Was originally a centre back for Bohemians.
Was a critical element in our success in my view- always finding a bit of space. Criticism of his defensive abilities sometimes failed to take account of the fact that you cannot be in both penalty areas at once. I think Semedo has a lot of qualities, but you never see him n the opposing penalty area.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno changed his and Coady's lives.

Great move for Doc.
To be fair to Doc, he must have been doing something the right way as he avoided the 'bomb squad'.
(Not sure if finding yourself in there was contract related or attitude)

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was originally a centre back for Bohemians.
Was a critical element in our success in my view- always finding a bit of space. Criticism of his defensive abilities sometimes failed to take account of the fact that you cannot be in both penalty areas at once. I think Semedo has a lot of qualities, but you never see him n the opposing penalty area.
I always thought he was a striker/forward originally

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steven Gerrard in an Everton kit!! Bully at the albion- it happens

0_Steven-Gerrard-as-a-young-boy-wearing-an-Everton-kit.jpg

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair play. I was always more of a Scott Golbourne man.

Back
Top Bottom